Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheed was f**king awful, I don't care who's fit next week, he needs to be an out. The only time I saw him work hard was when he was enthusiastically waving teammates off so he could be the bloke standing on the mark so he wouldn't have to chase anyone. If it was my team I wouldn't even have him playing in the WAFL, I wouldn't want him and his shitty attitude anywhere near the young guys.

He'd run super hard to get to the mark where one of our players already was so he could point down the field whilst taking their place. Guarantee the majority of his top speed recordings were these instance. 😂

Very good game from Cole, thought Dewar showed enough to stay in the side, Ryan started to look like he's catching back up to the pace of the game.

Needed more from Kelly today with no Yeo.
Sheed was f**king awful, I don't care who's fit next week, he needs to be an out. The only time I saw him work hard was when he was enthusiastically waving teammates off so he could be the bloke standing on the mark so he wouldn't have to chase anyone. If it was my team I wouldn't even have him playing in the WAFL, I wouldn't want him and his shitty attitude anywhere near the young guys.
Cole is dreadful. Makes so many mistakes

Collingwood kicking 7.3 to 0.0 from clearances says it all really. Got smashed from the centre which meant every scoring chain was launched from a backline that was under immense pressure. More links in the chain that can break down trying to score like that.

Kids in particular are then stuffed when they do get the ball to attack as they have spent so much energy chasing.

Thought the backs did a good job considering the amount of ball that was coming in & the forwards are never going to have a chance when the games played like that.

He'd run super hard to get to the mark where one of our players already was so he could point down the field whilst taking their place. Guarantee the majority of his top speed recordings were these instance. 😂
Exactly....it was every damn time...then the rest of the game he was either standing on his own pointing or giving away stupid free kicks

Positive: Got a nice laugh about the Vic bubble these clowns live in.

Asked by a Pies fan near me “so what’s the big sport in WA?”
“Footy”
“Yeah fair enough, how many fans would the Eagles have do you reckon?”
“We hit about 100k every year for members”
“Nah not the stadium, like how many members.”

…I…I just said…

Anyway, evidently the Victorian brain cannot comprehend that the Pies and Richmond are comparative minnows in this country.

I’ll cop that we’re dogshit so that’s playing a part, but non Vics don’t get a look in over here. For the lack of knowledge about us, Freo might as well not even exist. If it doesn’t take place in one of two postcodes, they just put a line through it.

Should have let this league go bust imo.

Positives +

• Witherden's best game in a while. Used the ball better and defended nicely.
  • Improved efforts in the second half and may have won the second term if we kicked straighter.
  • Barrass held the defence when we were overwhelmed.
  • Chesser, Dewar, Johnston showed something. Worth persisting.
  • Ryan returning to the Ryan of old in the last term.
  • J.Williams solid in a team getting smashed.
  • H.Reid showed some flashes of brilliance.
  • Ginbey starting to find a role.

Meh =

=
Cole, Rotham and Duggan.
= B.Williams tried but doesn't have the tap ability to put it to our mids throats or at least halve the ruck contest.
= Maric tried as well but lack supply isn't helping.

Negatives -
  • First half and centre bounces that it looked like we're still in 2022 and 2023. Lost the game right there.
  • Gov and Petch injuries.
  • Sheed is soo frustrating to watch now. The guy demands a cheap handball standing next to or behind the ball carrier which they rightly reject him for more better options ahead of the ball. He's been a defensive liability in this new gamestyle due to his lack of pace and body strength.

Final thoughts.

As someone said, Yeo papers over the cracks (similarly to how Nic Nat did in 2020 and 2021) and without him in the midfield the team all of a sudden looks softer. Reid can't carry the grunt load in his first season since it isn't ideal and Kelly is more of an icing type player and Sheed embodies the outdated WCE slow ball movement from 2018 who is piss weak at the contest, getting pushed off at will and has a huge sense of entitlement that he doesn't need to defend when in reality the new teams gameplan involves tackling and defensive running unlike the 2018 gameplan which involves corralling so Gov and Barrass can intercept.

The team isn't contending this year and the club should NOT rush back players such as Yeo and Waterman for next week, make sure their bodies are fully ready before returning them in otherwise they'll be in sub optimal condition and maybe prone to more injury later as their bodies haven't finished recovering. As unpopular as this sounds Allen, Flynn, Hewitt and Long (if ready) plus Gov and Petch if out for many weeks should start back in the WAFL where they can get touch and conditioning before being ready for senior selection.

Scoring from our back half was good. We just got beaten heavily in the middle.

With our ball moment, I really don’t think it’s a surprise given we are carrying 3-4 who aren’t either fit enough for the level yet only due to age but will get there (Johnstone, Dewar) combined with experienced bodies who aren’t fit that we are trying to build match fitness and confidence in the seniors (Sheed, Ryan). Too many passengers being carried by a small few and we just lacked run today. Credit to Collingwood, though. They restricted us well.

Throw in no Allen or Waterman to aim at and it’s no surprise we struggled to score or build anything when going forward.

Got smashed in the middle minus Yeo today. Collingwood just hit full gear and we just weren’t at that level. Really can’t wait for Flynn to get fully fit- hopeful with some better ruck work we will be able to get some help in the middle.

Still, some positive signs in JWilliams, Reid, Ginbey & Chesser. Didn’t lose the last quarter, which for mine is a significant step forward on last year. Especially given we the fact we had no Gov for the last quarter and a half. Last year that game would have been 130+.

Tell you what though, HTB calls today were mightily frustrating when compared to the rest of the round.

Also, credit to Darling for letting Dewars goal through. Players on their last legs would take that mark and kick the cheap goal - a real team play from Jack and I hope that hers picked up this week.

Also, credit to Darling for letting Dewars goal through. Players on their last legs would take that mark and kick the cheap goal - a real team play from Jack and I hope that hers picked up this week.

I feel sorry for Jack... he's an all-time Eagle great with more than 500 goals to his name. And he's currently getting outplayed by a 19 year old in his first full-season of AFL, who was 30KGs overweight about 18 months ago...

Then I remember that when he retires, he'll have an All Australia, Premiership, 500+ goals, and four seasons as our leading goal kicker... suddenly all my sympathy evaporates.

Hey WCE fans.
Chin up. That wasn’t anywhere near as bad as the scoreboard said.
100% on the way up!!

Witherdon & Barrass was fantastic down back. Ginby will be unbelievable in a year or so!!!

Losing your best players hurt way more than our outs due to confidence and system.
But last year that’s 100pt loss IMO. Absolutely stuck it out! Kudos.

I do ask whether you’re all happy with Reid constantly throwing the fend off?
Don’t get me wrong….hes an absolute star already!!
I just felt that watching it, he first looks for the fend….which threw your mids out in the first half? Interested in thoughts on this?

I thought running him against Nick in the middle was a bad call. But maybe fantastic from an education perspective?
If I barracked for North…..I’d be pi$$ed about letting him go!!!!!! He’s going to be insane! In fact….im already jealous!! :)

Good luck for the rest of the year. You’re on the improve (from a football follower).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of calls for sheed to be dropped, which is fair, but I don't know why everyone is letting Ryan off the hook. I watched this at the ground from level 3 and his lack of effort in the first half was disgusting. Just couldn't be bothered running hard, whether to pressure or lead. Ended up with no stats in a half of footy.

He finally fired up in the 4th when he got a sniff, which is just as damning as it shows he could have worked harder earlier. I'd be dropping him if only to enforce standards.

“Footy”

…I…I just said…

Anyway, evidently the Victorian brain cannot comprehend that the Pies and Richmond are comparative minnows in this country.

I’ll cop that we’re dogshit so that’s playing a part, but non Vics don’t get a look in over here. For the lack of knowledge about us, Freo might as well not even exist. If it doesn’t take place in one of two postcodes, they just put a line through it.

To be fair your point is ridiculous.

Lack of footspeed in the forwardline is killing us on rebounds. Edwards, what’s left of Darling, and even a guy who should always play in Jack Williams, just makes it so easy for oppo to storm out and create extra numbers.
Yep 100% this. So many goals result from our piss poor forward pressure where they stroll out of the backline and straight through the corridor. Petch (pre-injury), Cripps and Ryan needed to work a lot harder to lock it in with our B-team of talls not marking much.

Lots of calls for sheed to be dropped, which is fair, but I don't know why everyone is letting Ryan off the hook. I watched this at the ground from level 3 and his lack of effort in the first half was disgusting. Just couldn't be bothered running hard, whether to pressure or lead. Ended up with no stats in a half of footy.

He finally fired up in the 4th when he got a sniff, which is just as damning as it shows he could have worked harder earlier. I'd be dropping him if only to enforce standards.
Completely agree.

I agree. Ryan looked the most disinterested player out there for all but a short minute in the last quarter.

Positive for me was some of Harley's field kicking.
Yes, he can do the fend off (which TheVillageIdiot7, yes, I'm perfectly happy with) and he can take the massive marks, however, some of his field kicking is absolutely sublime. Contrast that with some of Ginbey's today.

Yep 100% this. So many goals result from our piss poor forward pressure where they stroll out of the backline and straight through the corridor. Petch (pre-injury), Cripps and Ryan needed to work a lot harder to lock it in with our B-team of talls not marking much.

No West Coast crumbling when no one could mark the ball the pies crumbed it and ran off.

What’s the bet this doesn’t even get mentioned or looked at

I know that it's umpire round, and I typically leave the umps well alone. But watching the game today I just wanted to say that it was very generous that the umpires allowed the Collingwood players to kick so many goals, since it was them who really set may of them up. Oh well, I guess the umps were happy with just receiving the numerous score involvements from the match.

“Footy”

…I…I just said…

Be interesting to see how they'd respond if you told them the Eagles have over 700,000 fans (of which 100,000 are members). ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back