Round 9 Disaster

Remove this Banner Ad

SpiritOfCarlton

All Australian
Nov 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

The Blues did not score their first goal until the third quarter and had their lowest score against St Kilda since 1918.

A disaster for the Blues, especially after losing to the Swans the week before.

They have gone from being top of the ladder with a percentage of 165 to fourth with a percentage of 125.

Can the Blues turn it around. Maybe not listening to some fans and the media.

Had the disaster of straight sets finals losses in 1994 ruined our team? Was the team mentally weak?

Our 2 best players and leaders out in Sticks and Diesel.

Probably what our current team is lacking, on field leadership.

Lots of players who had "been there and done that."

Even our leaders haven't done SFA in terms of winning

Losing breeds losing unless you can culturally change it (see Brisbane's short term recruits).

The Blues did not score their first goal until the third quarter and had their lowest score against St Kilda since 1918.

They have gone from being top of the ladder with a percentage of 165 to fourth with a percentage of 125.

Had the disaster of straight sets finals losses in 1994 ruined our team? Was the team mentally weak?

A bit odd that the report doesn't mention the weather. Was absolutely miserable that day - could have done with a roof like last week. That would've certainly explained the crowd figure.

It's funny how I couldn't tell you much about any opposition player in our wins that year, but I clearly remember Rod Keogh having a great game in the middle for them that day. Very Moorabbin-type conditions and not surprising that we were gettable.

Footy Trip bought and paid for 😜

A bit odd that the report doesn't mention the weather. Was absolutely miserable that day - could have done with a roof like last week. That would've certainly explained the crowd figure.

It's funny how I couldn't tell you much about any opposition player in our wins that year, but I clearly remember Rod Keogh having a great game in the middle for them that day. Very Moorabbin-type conditions and not surprising that we were gettable.

Good call. Remember Mum driving to Waverley for the Saints game. Was some of the worst rain I've driven through in my life (I've lived in crazy rain belts like the Pacific Northwest in the USA so I know heavy rain). It was almost too dangerous for driving. You couldn't see more than a few feet in front of the carat the best of times.

More than the loss itself that is my lasting memory of that night, just how horrifically miserable it was. I wasn't surprised at all that we put in a s**t house performance. Felt like we were saving ourselves while our opposition was falling over themselves to get the easy win.

Footy Trip bought and paid for 😜

That side had more punters in it than any side before or since!

They trained hard and played harder on and off the field. Sticks ruled with an iron fist and led from the front. Diesel pushed everyone and called them out if an error was made, no chance of that happening now days! Players today would crawl into a corner instead of charging to be better.

The funny thing is, Voss WAS this person as well but has gone too far the other way. He just needs to get his ‘edge’ back and dare I say, put a line in the sand with his ‘leaders’…

They trained hard and played harder on and off the field. Sticks ruled with an iron fist and led from the front. Diesel pushed everyone and called them out if an error was made, no chance of that happening now days! Players today would crawl into a corner instead of charging to be better.

The funny thing is, Voss WAS this person as well but has gone too far the other way. He just needs to get his ‘edge’ back and dare I say, put a line in the sand with his ‘leaders’…

I do love the story of Diesel after the 1994 capitluation putting it on the next generation to step up - older boys are doing all we can do, we need you guys to take the next step and then 1995 happened

Despite being there I don’t remember the game however VFL Park on a cold, rainy day is not easily forgotten. It took forever to thaw out after a trip to Arctic Park.

I remember fondly that we didn’t lose another game that season.

Despite being there I don’t remember the game however VFL Park on a cold, rainy day is not easily forgotten. It took forever to thaw out after a trip to Arctic Park.

I remember fondly that we didn’t lose another game that season.

It was an evening came that made it even colder

Was at that game, went with a St Kilda mate from school, still remember it pretty vividly almost 30 years later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The standards they lived by then would see them without a home and away win for the last 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back