Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

not the AFL's fault they wasted 45mil on a world cup bid.

you get what you deserve

Its not FFA's fault that the President of FIFA was a crook.... we were robbed. I guess Qatar had the money to spend on new stadiums and to line the pockets, we didn't I imagine.

Didn't deserve to be ripped off.....

Simon Hill has a huge grudge....having said that, I agree that a lot more funding should be made available only if there is going to be a good return for the investment. If that 45mil spent won us that bid 2022, the returns would have been 10 fold, minimum, in Sydney alone.

However there was a great sigh of relief coming from AFL HQ's.

Yep I listened and couldn't see what the fuss that was created on here was. He basically said if Australia wants to be successful in international sports they have to spend less - he meant and said the government federal and state governments - on local only sports and plough it into international sports. he mentioned the world game and the Olympics - the 4 year Olympic cycle and people grinding their teeth every 4 years - why aren't we winning more medals? - and quickly moved to the British/UK example of how they won very few Olympic medals before the national lotto was set up and after the big investment from the lotto monies have meant the Brits/UK medal total has gone through the roof.

It all came from the context of the amount of money in international soccer, they discussed Arsne Wegner overnight turning down a $50mil AUD deal to coach a Chinese club, Ange Postecoglou maybe one day being enticed by the big dollars in Asia or Europe, despite saying the Socceroos being his dream job. Then talked about the next leagues down from China having lots of dollars, Japan ( said they have just signed a new broadcast deal worth equivalent of $2 bil AUD) and Korea in particular, UAE and other middle east/Asian nations, talks about an arms race in Asia as a result and the football being really good. He then talks about being left behind if we don't invest some money in this country ie - soccer. "You're not going to like me saying this and I know your listeners wont, but we gotta stop investing in government money state and federal in internationally dead end sports like AFL and Rugby League. I'm sorry but its the truth. IF you want to be competitive in international sports you have to invest in them." Rowe - how can you say AFL is a dead sport? Hill - Internationally dead end sports, then went on about the Olympics and the British experience, before bring it back to general soccer talk, says we don't want $500m that went into Adelaide Oval, but we can't even get $5mil from the government.

I don't have much time for Hill but his point is close to the mark. Australia has to spend more on Olympics and other International sports just to keep up with other countries or just get used to lower rankings and less success. I love my European football as much as AFL but feel Aus will fall further behind simply because other countries continue to up the ante.

The 'dewogification' of the Australian top flight resulting in the permanent relegation of the Melbourne and Sydney Croatias, Adelaide City, Marconi and Sydney Olympic has coincided with the talent conveyor coming to a grinding halt.

We keep hearing about the A-League's enhanced 'pathways' and yet where is everyone? From Kewells, Vidukas, Cahills, Schwarzers, Okons, Moores, Brescianos, Grellas and Aloisis to the Socceroos Facebook blowing its load over Aaron Mooy playing well for freaking Huddersfield.

You're speaking about the byproducts of a league that had been established in 1977 and had been around for 15 years before guys like Viduka, Vidmar, Cahill and Kewell came along, in an era where playing sport was what everyone did on a Saturday instead of playing FIFA and it was the only domestic league that was actually national.

The A-League was formed in 2005, in an era where the AFL had teams across the nation and huge television deals. It will take them 30 years to achieve anything close to the same quality of player for the simple fact that there is more things to distract kids these days. Still, the A-League is consistently ranked in the top twenty across the world and the standard improves all the time so it won't be long until you see another group like 2002/2006.

The 'dewogification' of the Australian top flight resulting in the permanent relegation of the Melbourne and Sydney Croatias, Adelaide City, Marconi and Sydney Olympic has coincided with the talent conveyor coming to a grinding halt.

We keep hearing about the A-League's enhanced 'pathways' and yet where is everyone? From Kewells, Vidukas, Cahills, Schwarzers, Okons, Moores, Brescianos, Grellas and Aloisis to the Socceroos Facebook blowing its load over Aaron Mooy playing well for freaking Huddersfield.
The best 30-50 players will still go overseas no matter how much the A-League improves. Its basic economics. Its players 51-120 that the A-League should be trying to keep in Oz. but that requires $$$.

I do wonder if that golden generation was a fluke of timing, or junior development has stagnated in Oz whilst advanced elsewhere.

Reckon you could make the same argument with the SANFL. How many great SA footballers came out of the 80s and 90s compared to 2000's onwards when it became a relegated league?

The best 30-50 players will still go overseas no matter how much the A-League improves. Its basic economics. Its players 51-120 that the A-League should be trying to keep in Oz. but that requires $$$.

I do wonder if that golden generation was a fluke of timing, or junior development has stagnated in Oz whilst advanced elsewhere.

It will be the influx of Sudanese and other African refugees that propel Australian football to the next level IMO. The golden generation was all about timing - most of those guys were the children of first and second generation immigrants who used soccer as a way of carrying a little piece of 'home' with them to their new country. The third generation identify more with skips as so are more likely to play Australian Rules than anything else.

It will be the influx of Sudanese and other African refugees that propel Australian football to the next level IMO. The golden generation was all about timing - most of those guys were the children of first and second generation immigrants who used soccer as a way of carrying a little piece of 'home' with them to their new country. The third generation identify more with skips as so are more likely to play Australian Rules than anything else.
The game probably also needs to find an evangelist like Johnny Warren -different to reflect the times, but driven as Johnny and an ability to communicate like Johhny. It has always been interesting to me how many of that golden generation have talked about rushing to get home from school to watch Captain Socceroo to find out more about what's going on in the game and learn new training drills, skills etc.

The game probably also needs to find an evangelist like Johnny Warren -different to reflect the times, but driven as Johnny and an ability to communicate like Johhny. It has always been interesting to me how many of that golden generation have talked about rushing to get home from school to watch Captain Socceroo to find out more about what's going on in the game and learn new training drills, skills etc.

Surely that man is now the Great Craig Foster. SURELY!!!

Surely that man is now the Great Craig Foster. SURELY!!!
Haha a poor man's Johhny or a Johnny wannabe. If you aren't playing like Barcelona Foster doesn't want a bar of you.

My goodness. Do you know SBS charged $50 for one VHS Captain Socceroo training tape in 1984?? Two for $90??? With inflation, that means two tapes would've cost you TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX DOLLARS! That's usury!

My goodness. Do you know SBS charged $50 for one VHS Captain Socceroo training tape in 1984?? Two for $90??? With inflation, that means two tapes would've cost you TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX DOLLARS! That's usury!

No but it doesn't surprise me. Parents are paying up to $3,000 for annual lessons for kids as young as 8 for high end technical training like the Coerver Coaching method clinics. For many many years the money in soccer in Oz has been at the bottom end and not the top of the game. The lure of big $$$ in Europe has always seen parents spend up big on the kids to chase that dream.

Along with that, I know some people who played for Aus a long time ago, they used sport to connect and mix in the local community and break down barriers. Many played more than one sport, including Aussie rules. First and second generation Australians. In a way it was something of a ritual. One passed a while ago, he had an OAM for his efforts to Australian soccer.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in the early days of Perth Glory 6PR would call Glory games with the irascible George Grljusich commentating and Johnny Warren doing the expert comments. George would call the play in the Aussie Rules style and you could hear old Johnny's teeth grinding - they use to clash too, much like George's famous boxing calls with Benny Pike :D

Re AIS Maybe, maybe not. I'm going off memory but even in the 90s the argument to leave Australia as a teenager for Europe was still strong. Kewell definitely went early, Viduka as an 18 year old. If you compare our Joey results this millennium compared to late last you can see what difference pay TV has had on junior development OS compared to our Institute of Sport set up. Worlds apart that can't be bridged by bureaucrats.

Here is a list of notable AIS scholarship holders who represented Oz at least 10 times. Viduka, Muscat, Moore, Trimboli, Neal, Aloisi, Skoko, Emerton, Grella, Zelic, Bresciano and many others are in there. Some were given scholarships at 15 or 16. Also the NSW Sports Academy/Institute also gave out many scholarships to guys who ended up playing for Oz and some doubled up with an AIS scholarship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFA_Centre_of_Excellence

Oh and I don't consider sports scientists and technical coaches as bureaucrats. The AIS was seen as a world leader for 15-20 years and Oz sports science has been cutting edge. Others decided to copy and have ploughed in more $$$ and caught up and overtaken the AIS. It was the mid to late 90's, first with massive Pay TV $$$ injection into the game no longer state broadcasters got rights for free, and then privatization of the big Euro clubs, ie stock market and wealthy individuals buying clubs, that those big clubs went on world wide searches to find 12-14 years olds which then become 15-16 year olds under a FIFA directive, to put through their development system.

Been a long time since I've followed a team other than Ports. However I would be seriously surprised if building a 30k under roof stadium would give Adelaide the Kevin Costner effect and start leading to world class players playing regularly here. We're a nation of 20m, FIFA couldn't care less about us when Asia is ripe for the picking.

It's not going to change overnight like Kevin Costner in the movies. Hell Port took 3 years to go from near bottom to mid pack for footy department spend and their isn't much left over. But you have to start earning more $$$ to start the whole process. I said 25k and I meant grandstand roofs not a retractable roof if you misunderstood what I wrote. I have been offered tickets in the southern stand of Hindmarsh for games a couple of times when its been about 38 degrees, and I said no thanks I wasn't going to sit in the hot sun with no protection. Not sure what FIFA has to do with the argument.

I'm not against investing in any sport or industry. I would love to see money go to kids development/ anything that betters their futures, definitely more so than fancy US airplanes that fly at freaky angles, but I still think anyone asking for public spending needs to be able to warrant the investment and I really doubt that a stadium is an answer to all their woes.

The Sydney Olympics and then the largess of the mining boom meant politicians have seen there are big votes to be won by giving sports easy money. When Demetriou left the AFL the almost universal opinion was that his greatest achievement was getting hundreds of millions of dollars out of governments, to get great more modern facilities which lead to greater stadium yields for the clubs.

I also definitely don't think slagging off another sport or calling it dead end adds any value to the debate.

So unfortunately to me he's just another Shock jock that doesn't warrant any serious consideration.
I didn't see Hill comments as slagging off at AFL and NRL. Its just reality if you want to be world champions against sports played by many nations not just a hand full.

Last edited:
I remember in the early days of Perth Glory 6PR would call Glory games with the irascible George Grljusich commentating and Johnny Warren doing the expert comments. George would call the play in the Aussie Rules style and you could hear old Johnny's teeth grinding - they use to clash too, much like George's famous boxing calls with Benny Pike :D
Would have loved to have heard a few of those calls. Have struggled to watch Olympic boxing since George and Benny partnership broke up. I went to one night of boxing in Sydney - it was a great night but I really wanted to hear George and Benny call the bouts. My AM radio didn't pick up a signal and they probably would have only called or 2 bouts live on the radio that night.

Australia will never ever win a Soccer World Cup, even if we threw $10 billion at it, why even try be delusional about it?

If we consider ourselves to be a proud sporting country then it is probably important that we have some kind of footprint in the biggest and most popular sport on the planet. Forget winning anything, just qualifying for the World Cup finals is our challenge and a worthwhile goal to aspire to. And the standard of footballer being produced in Australia is going to need to improve and fast if we are to continue qualifying in the fast growing Asian confederation, even given the expanded number of teams at the finals come Qatar.

Australia will never ever win a Soccer World Cup, even if we threw $10 billion at it, why even try be delusional about it?

We got to the elimination stage in 2006, who lost to the World Cup champions that year by a dubious penalty in the last minute of game. We didn't even spend 5% of that 10billion then...

Ah soccer. That sport where a nil all draw is considered "exciting"

No it isn't. They do happen occasionally but nobody thinks they're 'exciting'.

Spadge said:
and diving/faking (or as they call it these days "simulation") is still rampant.

Joel Selwood, Lindsay Thomas, Toby McLean, Allen Christensen, Rhys Mathieson, and so on and so on.

No it isn't. They do happen occasionally but nobody thinks they're 'exciting'.

Joel Selwood, Lindsay Thomas, Toby McLean, Allen Christensen, Rhys Mathieson, and so on and so on.
Dropping the knees to draw a free is one thing... falling down like you have been shot when not even being touched is another

That said game in the elimination round of the WC a few years back when the socceroos lost to a blatant dive in the box against Italy was what did it for me.

Look im not going to knock people for liking or loving soccer, but its boring as bat s**t to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back