RT's 2016 Phantom Draft and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Concerning that the first KPF above 190cm that is not father son or academy is listed at 36. Iknow nothing of Ainsworth but seriously cant see us using pick 2 on a Jamie Elliott type.

Not a lot of 'star' KPFs at this stage. Will no doubt see a couple race up draft boards as the season goes on - someone has to play the role during the national championships! In regards to Ainsworth, clubs will view him in the Billings or LeCras mould - super dangerous as an offensive playmaker. I feel he will play more midfield minutes that Elliott. He has some explosiveness and contested ball ability, and is a dynamite 1v1 player. Makes things happen.

Great work so early in the year Rancid Trogs.

Just on your West Coast picks as you've noted I expect a bid on Jake Waterman to be matched by West Coast whereas Sumich and Jordan Matera they may let slide. With Sumich it depends on whether he gets picked for State 18s first.

The third round pick Zdybell, I can't say I know a lot about him as a player but looking at your draft description we have a similar style of forward in Tom Lamb on the list now, not sure whether post 2016 if Lamb will be with the club or not and may request a trade home to Victoria but I don't know if there is room for another Lamb type on the list.

Noah Hura I've seen linked to West Coast in a couple of early phantoms now and again he seems like a player made for the larger expanses of Domain Stadium. I look forward to tracking his progress more in 2016 as with Zain Sumich and Jake Waterman.

From a biased and my wants based perspective at the draft, the first type of player I want is a genuine small forward. Around 6 foot or under even in a similar mould to Jack Lonie that we can play and develop as a small forward alone. Not wanting to make so much of a midfielder out of them. May even mean looking mature age later in the draft for someone who could step straight into the role because the pick of the best small forwards may be gone by mid to late first round.

Thanks for you kind words!

Sumich at this stage I have as a late pick / rookie - won't be a bid to match so you'll get him if you want him. Matera would need to have a really good season at senior level as he has already once gone undrafted. This may have been the stimulus for rapid improvement, but I'll need to see that before I have him being drafted. You have to ask yourself, what is he adding to an already highly powerful West Coast squad?

I agree with your sentiments of Zdybell - he probably is reasonably similar to Lamb (although I feel Lamb long-term becomes a tall running and marking wingman). At this stage I haven't really looked at club needs and am more so providing a gauge as to where the players could roughly be drafted. Once the season settles and the ladder order is more solid / the under 18s have some observed form, I'll start to factor in team needs.

Noah Hura I like. Highly damaging. Made for Domain as you said. Point of difference for the Eagles as you have many one paced (although very good) mids.

If looking for a pure small forward, at this stage I'd suggest Taranto. An Alex Fasolo type in the way he can impact play in the forward half. There will also be some more small forwards that pop up as the year goes on, and mature agers can always be drafted for specific roles.

Rancid Trogs Nice phantom draft. I enjoyed reading it. Can you tell me a little more about Petrevski-Seton? Looks like an absolute gun and with his pace and elite disposal he is exactly what the Lions need.

Firstly, thanks for the kind words. As the year goes on I hope to add more information to the player profiles, so there will be more to read! Stay posted.

In terms of Petrevski-Seton, he is a star. Powerful and graceful in his movements, he glides across the ground and just gets from A to B quicker than anyone else. Sublimely skilled off both feet, his kicking action looks no different whether right or left footed. In the same way as it does for Sam Mitchell, this allows he more time and greater scope to baulk opponents. Decision making elite, whether it be in congestion, out in the open or running at top speed. Super hands below his knees (very Rioli like) and has an uncanny ability to knock the ball to advantage. Good around goals whether it be off the snap or set shot.

Obviously all of the above is very 'offensively geared' traits. SPS is also a manic in the defensive side of his game. Chases and harasses with relentless and predatory instincts. Makes his tackles stick. Hits the contest and the opposition hard.

In terms of weaknesses, there are no glaring ones at the moment. Could do with a little more size (currently 182 cm / 72kg). Could become a more consistent aerial threat. Would love to see him play some further inside mid to see if he can use his talents to become a classy extractor as well as the outside silk.

He really is a midfield version of Cyril Rioli. Hopefully he has hamstrings that can handle the running loads of an AFL midfielder! Brisbane would no doubt love him, although, to guarantee him you'd need to finish last ... and I can't see anyone finishing lower than the Bombers this season (despite yesterday's positive result!)

Firstly, thanks for the kind words. As the year goes on I hope to add more information to the player profiles, so there will be more to read! Stay posted.

In terms of Petrevski-Seton, he is a star. Powerful and graceful in his movements, he glides across the ground and just gets from A to B quicker than anyone else. Sublimely skilled off both feet, his kicking action looks no different whether right or left footed. In the same way as it does for Sam Mitchell, this allows he more time and greater scope to baulk opponents. Decision making elite, whether it be in congestion, out in the open or running at top speed. Super hands below his knees (very Rioli like) and has an uncanny ability to knock the ball to advantage. Good around goals whether it be off the snap or set shot.

Obviously all of the above is very 'offensively geared' traits. SPS is also a manic in the defensive side of his game. Chases and harasses with relentless and predatory instincts. Makes his tackles stick. Hits the contest and the opposition hard.

In terms of weaknesses, there are no glaring ones at the moment. Could do with a little more size (currently 182 cm / 72kg). Could become a more consistent aerial threat. Would love to see him play some further inside mid to see if he can use his talents to become a classy extractor as well as the outside silk.

He really is a midfield version of Cyril Rioli. Hopefully he has hamstrings that can handle the running loads of an AFL midfielder! Brisbane would no doubt love him, although, to guarantee him you'd need to finish last ... and I can't see anyone finishing lower than the Bombers this season (despite yesterday's positive result!)
Thanks for the extra info it was very insightful. And yes based on what I have seen and read he does look likely to go number 1. It is a long year ahead though and a lot can change!

Where would you rank Josh Battle if you were to rank Hogan, Boyd, McCartin, Moore, Daniher, Wright and Schache? Do you genuinely see him as someone who could rise up the draft boards and become a genuine potential number 1 draft pick? I have spoken to people who have him around the pick 20 mark. What would you say are his strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks for the extra info it was very insightful. And yes based on what I have seen and read he does look likely to go number 1. It is a long year ahead though and a lot can change!

Where would you rank Josh Battle if you were to rank Hogan, Boyd, McCartin, Moore, Daniher, Wright and Schache? Do you genuinely see him as someone who could rise up the draft boards and become a genuine potential number 1 draft pick? I have spoken to people who have him around the pick 20 mark. What would you say are his strengths and weaknesses?

A lot can definitely change in a year. There will no doubt be some risers and fallers. It's what I love about the U/18s.

My order at this stage (in terms of what I see them becoming) is: Daniher / Hogan (can't split), Moore, Boyd / Schache (can't split), Battle, McCartin and Wright.

There are two types of forward in that group - the 200cm giants who mark at the highest point and have great mobility for their size and then the shorter, 192 - 194cm powerhouses that are strong and aggressive and fight for the ball at ground level as well as in the air.

I see Battle falling somewhere between the potential of Hogan and McCartin.

He has great hands - is a genuine contested marking threat, but is also Jack Darling like in his follow up, ground level work and 2nd and 3rd efforts. His kicking, whether it be set shot, snap or general field kicking looks tidy. He can dispose of the ball by hand and is an incredibly unselfish KPF. Would probably set up as many shots on goal as he has himself. He's also a great athlete - won the 3km time trial for the AIS AFL Academy earlier this season and has an explosive first 3 or 4 steps to break away from congestion. There was talk during the preseason that his TAC Cup side would run him through the midfield at stages, much like the Hawks do with Roughead, which is only an added strong to his bow.

This presents as a pretty good package, and one that - if he maximises his potential - should rapidly rise up draft boards. I fully expect him to be drafted in the top 5 picks.

He kicked 4.4 and took 5 contested marks in Round 1 of the TAC season and then harassed and worked his way to another couple of goals against Werribee in the AIS match. His 1 percenters in this game were outstanding throughout. If he continues that sort of form, he will display the kind of underage production that you expect in a top draft pick.

Todd Marshall from the Bush Rangers any chance to get drafted?

Marshall is largely at this point an unknown. Didn't play TAC last season so has no exposed underage form. Listed at 198cm a looks thin in his build. Considered a genuine ruck option by his TAC Cup coach, he seems to have played more as a key forward in the first two rounds of the season. Has kicked 3 goals each week, which if nothing else, suggests he has a knack for kicking goals. Having not seen him live, I would hope those goals are being earned through forward craft rather than simply being bigger or taller than his opponents.

To put it simply, he's not on my radar at this point, but if he keeps kicking goals, plays some representative footy and impresses there, he's a good height to at least be looked at draft wise. The draft history books are littered with kids that come from the clouds to get selected, and he could perhaps become one of those.

Just some notes on individuals from the recent AFL Academy v Werribee Game:

Battle: An impressive game. Tackled, harassed and competed hard throughout. Never out-marked and followed up the spilled contest hard. Lead hard and showed good hands. Great ground level efforts including dishing off handballs and a snapped goal. Second and third efforts a highlight. Really unselfish game, regularly dishing off. Impacted opposition defenders ability to hit targets with his pressure acts.

Bowes: classy game. Showed poise and a sidestep that gives him so much time. Was able to consistently get his arms above the tackler and disposed effectively whilst being tackled. Kicked a couple of goals. Put the ball to advantage regularly.

Petrevski-Seton: won a lot of ball outside (although didn't shirk his inside responsibility). Kicked a classy goal. Showed his wicked side step several times. Seemed 'untackleable'. Showed good hands to mark on the lead on occasions. Leg speed was good, mind speed was better, dishing off the handball quicker than the eye could follow. Tackled hard throughout.

Berry: spent the day mopping up a heap in the back half. Really good athletic display with run and physical pressure high. Kicking was hit and miss. Some really good, some really not. Good tackling game - hit hard and made them stick.

Parftitt: won a lot of contested ball - showed good acceleration in and out of congestion. Disposal suffered under the physical pressure applied to him.

Sproule: impressive at times but drifted in and out. Kicked a really classy and confident long range goal. Moved really well - super athletic and showed off his renowned workrate. Nice hands - hit up from half forward well.

Brodie: massive game. Won the ball inside and outside. Good kicking skills and distributed well by hand. Worked hard all day and showed great application to the defensive side of the game. Tackled hard, crashed bodies and applied pressure. Good size and will fill out nicely to become a inside brute.

Powell-Pepper: brutal at the contest, but and 'almost game.' Almost won a lot of ball, almost made many tackles and almost hit targets. But not quite. Effort and intensity was there. Moved really well and stayed involved throughout.

McCluggage: really impressive. Clean hands at ground level and in the air. Made great decisions with ball in hand and kept winning possession. Showed nice skills by hand and foot. Played inside and outside the contest.

Goddard: dominated the ruck contests against more mature opponents. Ruckwork was really good with many hitouts to advantage. Aggressive at the contest and cracked in for second efforts all day. Didn't win a heap of ball around the ground but wasn't far away from doing so.

Scharenberg: won a lot of ball and accumulated without really damaging. Disposal was always neat and moved better that I've seen before.

Mutch: ran hard all day and accumulated quite a lot of ball. Used it well on most occasions. Showed clean hands at ground level.

Rotham: competed well 1v1. Slight frame but good athletically, he showed 1v1 smarts and nullified many offensive thrusts. Provided some nice rebound. A really safe and secure defensive effort.

Allison: quiet first half but cam to life in the second off half back. Provided some good 1v1 defensive efforts and some good run and carry. Looked good when he had space to run into and kick long.

These are the players that made me take note. If you have any questions about the performance of others, feel free to ask away.

POWER RANKINGS:

1. Sam Petrevski-Seton (MID/FOR)
2. Ben Ainsworth (FOR)
3. Josh Battle (KPF)
4. Jack Bowes (GCS ACA - MID)
5. Will Brodie (MID)
6. Harrison Macreadie (GWS ACA - KPD)
7. Jonty Scharenberg (MID)
8. Jacob Allison (BRI ACA - UTL)
9. Jarrod Berry (DEF/UTL)
10. Jeremy Goddard (RUC)
11.Hugh McCluggage (MID/FOR)
12. Andrew McGrath (MID)
13. Zach Sproule (GWS ACA - KPF)
14. Brandon Parfitt (MID)
15. Sam Powell-Pepper (MID/DEF)
16. Jack Graham (MID/DEF)
17. Will Setterfield (GWS ACA - MID)
18. Joshua Rotham (KPD/DEF)
19. Jordan Gallucci (MID/DEF)
20. Jy Simpkin (FOR)
21. Jack Scrimshaw (KPD/DEF)
22. Koby Mutch (MID)
23. Brad Scheer (BRI ACA - MID)
24. Daniel Venebles (FOR/MID)
25. Dylan Clarke (MID)
26. Noah Hura (MID/FOR)
27. Alex Witherden (DEF/MID)
28. Jamie Hampton (MID/FOR)
29. Connor Byrne (GWS ACA - MID/DEF)
30. Luke Strnadica (KPF/RUC)
31. Braiden Blake (KPP)
32. Sam McLarty (KPD)
33. Harry Morrison (DEF)
34. Jake Waterman (WCE F/S - FOR/MID)
35. Patrick Kerr (KPF)
36. Jake Korewha (KPP)
37. Miles Poholke (FOR/MID)
38. Tim Taranto (FOR)
39. Jack Rolls (BRI ACA - DEF/MID)
40. Steven Slimming (MID/DEF)
41. Peter Ladhams (RUC)
42. Jordan Sweet (RUC)
43. Ezekiel Frank (KPF/FOR)
44. Joseph Atley (MID)
45. Tom Highmore (GWS ACA - MID)
46. Ben McGuinness (DEF)
47. Nicholas Giarrizzo (MID)
48. Mitch Carter (KPF)
49. Zach Zdybell (KPF/FOR)
50. Ryan Garthwaite (KPD)

PHANTOM DRAFT:

1. Essendon – Josh Battle (VIC – KPF)

Height: 194cm

Weight: 89kg

Range: First Round

Comparison: Josh J Kennedy

Profile: Aggressive in the air with hands to match, Battle is a mobile athletic key forward. Desperate at ground level, he stays in the contest even in the event that he spills a mark. Will be a big improver as the year goes on a spike towards the pointy end of the draft.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Harrison Macreadie to be matched here

2. Carlton – Ben Ainsworth (VIC – FOR/MID)

Height: 177cm

Weight: 73kg

Range: Top 5

Comparison: Jamie Elliott (more inside midfield potential)

Profile: Combination of class and toughness. Most damaging as a small forward, will transition into more midfield minutes the longer his career goes. Very good 1v1, whether it be in the air or on the ground. Powerful core and through the legs means he keeps his feet and provides impactful disposal even when under pressure. Score involvement player – whether by his boot or in the setting up of others. Good contested ball ability – will need to physically develop to match it with the inside brutes of the AFL.

3. Brisbane – Sam Petrevski-Seton (WA – MID/FOR)

Height: 182cm

Weight: 72kg

Range: Top 5

Comparison: Cyril Rioli (with greater midfield scope)

Profile: Skillful on both sides of the body, hard and tough. Good balance between offensive and defensive sides of the game. Clean hands, great acceleration and top line speed. High impact player – needs very little of the ball to have an influence. Will start as a two way small forward and transition into the midfield with size and increased aerobic fitness.

4. Greater Western Sydney (via Collingwood) – Harrison Macreadie (GWS ACADEMY – KPD)

Height: 195cm

Weight: 82kg

Range: Top 10

Comparison: ??

Profile: Athletic key position defender than has shown the capability to play as a tall rebounding flanker. Will settle into a premier Centre Half Back much the way Weitering has. Good overhead and with beautiful foot skills. Best KPD in the draft. GWS will match any bid.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Jacob Allison to be matched here

NOTE: I predict a bid for Jack Bowes to be matched here.

5. St Kilda – Jarrod Berry (VIC – DEF/UTL)

Height: 191cm

Weight: 80kg

Comparison: Grant Birchall

Profile: The modern day hybrid defender, capable of playing tall or small. Most valuable as an intercept mark across half back, he can also provide good run and carry. Shows great leadership and isn’t afraid of winning hard ball. Hasn’t yet shown the nuances needed in the centre square, so dreams of him becoming a big bodied inside mid may just be dreams. Kicking needs some tidying, although his great decision making often covers this.

6. Gold Coast – Jack Bowes (GCS ACADEMY – MID/FOR)

Height: 187cm

Weight: 76kg

Range: First Round

Comparison:

Profile: Well rounded mid that can win the ball inside and outside. Is a smooth mover without being lightning quick but has a good burst of acceleration. Nice footskills and great overhead. A highly damaging player offensively. Will start as a hit up half forward and gradually add midfield minutes as his body develops.

7. Greater Western Sydney – Jy Simpkin (VIC – FOR)

Height: 181cm

Range: 10 - 20

Profile: Clever small forward that has the happy knack of making things happen. Kicks goals and sets them up – the kind of player you don’t mind if he never transitions into the midfield. Super talented and could – with his mix of pace, skill and poise – develop into anything. Has shown damage through the midfield at underage level, but it remains to be seen if that will happen at AFL level. Will need to work on the defensive side to his game to make it in the big league.

8. Gold Coast (via Melbourne) – Jonty Scharenberg (SA – MID)

Height: 185cm

Weight: 77kg

Profile: Great ball winner, both inside and outside the contest. Not a stand out athlete, but great footy smarts and running patterns. Often finds the end of a chain to finish scoring movements. Good solid player that will win the ball and provide scoreboard impact.

9. Port Adelaide – Jordan Gallucci (VIC – MID/DEF)

Range: 5 - 15

Comparison: Chris Yarran

Profile: Smooth moving and classy outside type. Glides across the turf effortlessly and still pulls away from the chaser, Gallucci is a damaging player best suited to a wing or half back flank. Needs to improve defensively 1v1 to make it as a permanent back flanker. Has proven to be a goal scorer when played at half forward, so there is versatility there. At this stage needs to win more of the football, but is potentially a damaging line breaker at AFL level.

10. Fremantle – Will Brodie (VIC – MID)

Height: 187cm

Profile: Safe pick. Solid inside mid with neat disposal. Has a good balance of offensive and defensive aspects to his play. Composed and assured in traffic, is tough and gets to contest after contest. Should come in ready to play.

11. Adelaide – Jack Graham (SA – MID/DEF)

Height: 183cm

Weight: 83kg

Range: 10 - 30

Profile: Good midfield selection – well rounded player. Solid body already and an explosive first few steps. Wins the ball inside and is also damaging on the spread. Understands space inside the contest and has an appetite for the defensive aspects of the game. Good foot skills and game sense. Can also play off a back flank where his defensive efforts are suited.

12. North Melbourne – Brandon Parfitt (NT – MID/FOR)

Height: 177cm

Profile: A rare combination of class and toughness, Parfitt is a little star. The only knock on him is the limiting factor his height may have on him. Possessing great speed and courage, Parfitt can win his own ball and be equally damaging as a receiver on the outside. A lovely kick, Parfitt is a damaging linebreaker and someone that is always involved in a team’s scoring. Also not afraid to put his head in the hole and win the hard ball. Just needs a team to like what he does and he could go very high on draft night.

13. Sydeney – Sam Powell-Pepper (WA – MID/DEF)

Height: 186cm

Profile: Big bodied and explosive footballer than doesn’t shirk a contest and runs straight lines. Hard to bring down and reeks of leadership. Issues with his kicking, but that is something that can be worked upon. Also wins a lot of contested ball which means kicking efficiency will tend to register as lower. Can provide size and rebound from half back, but best suited as a battering ram in the centre square.

14. Richmond – Jeremy Goddard (WA – RUC)

Height: 202cm

Weight: 97kg

Range: 10 - 40

Comparison: Shane Mumford (not a physically intimidating)

Profile: As ready made a ruckman as there has been in recent times, Goddard could play senior football very early in his journey. Already a good tap ruckman, his best trait is his aggressive follow up. Whether he becomes the physical beast that Mumford is remains to be seen, but his attitude and aggression is in line with that style of ruckman. Winning more ball around the ground and jagging a goal a game would drive him up draft boards.

NOTE: I predict a bid for William Setterfield to be matched here

15. Hawthorn – Andrew McGrath (VIC – MID)

Height: 178cm

Weight: 75kg

Profile: On the small size but just keeps winning the footy and using it well. Classy player and elite athlete. Great speed / endurance combination. A player that will go from strength to strength and rise up draft boards over the year. High impact per disposal player – made even more exciting by the fact that he generally wins a lot of the pill.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Zach Sproule to be matched here

16. Western Bulldogs – Josh Rotham (WA – KPD/DEF)

Height: 192cm

Weight: 79kg

Range:15 - 30

Profile: Developing key defender – particularly if he adds a few centimeters over the season. Highly competitive and a good intercept mark. Exceptional reader of the play and good user of the footy. Best suited to patrolling the half back line and cutting off opposition attacks.

17. West Coast – Noah Hura (WA – MID)

Range: 15 – 45

Comparison: Steven Hill

Profile: Excitement machine. Explosive runner with damaging foot skills – although sometimes bites off more than he can chew. A really high impact player and someone with awesome offensive capability. Needs to become more consistent in games and during seasons. High risk v reward draftee.

18. Greater Western Sydney (via Geelong) – William Setterfield (GWS ACADEMY – MID)

Height: 189cm

Range: 15 - 30

Profile: Rangy wingman that is a metres gained player. Composed with ball in hand, his skills are matched by his decision making which leads to a highly damaging play maker. Not one to dominate the contested ball at this stage, Setterfield will begin his AFL life as an outside link man. Good size and overhead mark, if his frame is one to hold muscle he may develop into a smooth moving bid bodied mid.

-------------------------------------------------- End of Round #1 ------------------------------------------------

19. Essendon – Jack Scrimshaw (VIC – KPD)

Height: 193cm

Profile: Light framed rebounding key defender. As he fills out over time he will be better suited to 1v1 play but will begin his career as an intercept and rebound player. Good athlete and can provide good run and carry for his size. Questions remains – will he always remain a hybrid defender or will he become the archetypal beat your man and provide rebound centre half back?

NOTE: I predict a big for Brad Scheer to be matched here

20. Carlton – Alex Witherden (VIC – DEF/MID)

Profile: Rebounding defender that is also a capable stopper. Wins plenty of the ball, and a fair amount of it contested. Doesn’t shirk the issue and is good 1v1. Long penetrating kick and records good kicking efficiency ratings. One of the best kicks in the draft. Highly damaging player that is also a sound team man and fulfills his role. Reads the play well which suits his half back role, although he will no doubt try and push into the middle during the season.

21. Brisbane – Jacob Allison (BRI ACADEMY – UTL)

Height: 193cm

Profile: The size of the modern day inside midfielder, Allison is more of a rangy running flanker / wingman. Wiry and athletic, he is good overhead and possesses a cannon of a right boot. Damaging potential in his foot skills, however is prone to some kicking errors. Will need to clean this up to be an effective link man in the AFL. Huge upside with his size and athleticism.

22. Collingwood – Jamie Hampton (NT – MID/FOR)

Profile: Damaging outside player. Needs to work on the defensive aspects of his game but offers serious hurt factor when running forwards. Possesses great speed and a trick bag the likes of which few can dream of. Needs to establish some consistent performances and consistent behaviours in line with the ‘two way’ attitude of AFL football. Could be a bargain.

23. Brisbane (via St Kilda) – Kobe Mutch (VIC – MID)

Height: 184cm

Range: 25 - 40

Profile: Nice outside midfielder with clean hands and neat disposal. Runs all day and into good spots to accumulate heaps of football. Good sticky hands overhead which will become invaluable as he adds size to his frame. Could potentially play across half back or half forward showing his versatility.

24. Gold Coast – Brad Scheer (GCS ACADEMY – MID)

Weight: 82kg

Profile: Contested ball beast that has a happy knack of drifting forwards to get amongst the scoring. Limited in terms of athleticism, he makes up for this with stoppage nous and smart running. Can take a mark 1v1 when forward and is as tough as they come. Wins the hard ball, although his kicking can let him down.

25. Greater Western Sydney – Zach Sproule (GWS ACADEMY – KPF)

Height: 197cm

Weight: 87kg

Profile: High work-rate key forward type. Not a massive goal scorer at underage level, although there have been good scoreboard games for Sproule. He is more your lead up conduit type. The get out kick for the back line and drive long into the forward line type. It will be interesting to see if he can run himself into more scoring positions during the season and become a real Nick Riewoldt style centre half forward. Good overhead and generally a good kick – if he can become a true number 1 forward target, then he could rush up draft boards across the country.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Connor Byrne to be matched here

26. Melbourne – Daniel Venebles (VIC – MID/FOR)

Range: 15 - 45

Profile: Aggressive inside midfielder that provides neat disposal and score involvement. Is able to win the football and set up play going forward. Also handy overhead. A damaging player that may rise up draft boards with further exposure. Provides high level scoreboard impact for a midfielder and is an explosive player to match up on.

27. Gold Coast (via Port Adelaide) – Braidon Blake (VIC – KPP)

Height: 194cm

Range: 15 onwards

Comparison:

Profile: Key position forward that possesses the athleticism and smarts to play all over the ground. Attacks the ball in the air and on the ground and screams versatility. If he has a good year as a key forward first and utility second, he will shoot up draft boards. Could do with a few extra centimeters if he wants to continue the odd foray into the ruck.

28. Gold Coast (via Fremantle) – Dylan Clarke (VIC – MID)

Weight: 85kg

Profile: A great combination of running ability and hardness at the football. Clarke is big bodied enough to mix it with the inside beasts but also has the run and spread to create on the outside. Could work on becoming more damaging by foot but offers plenty in the accumulation stakes.

29. Greater Western Sydney (via Adelaide) – Connor Byrne (GWS ACADEMY – MID)

Weight: 70kg

Range: 20 - 40

Comparison: David Zaharakis

Profile: Really good running player. Top level athlete with foot skills to match, Byrne is a gut running line breaker that delivers the ball to advantage more often than not. A good season could see him in contention as a late first round draft selection.

30. North Melbourne – Hugh McCluggage (VIC – MID)

Range: 25 - 50

Profile: Good honest midfielder with no real weaknesses. Good balance of inside an outside ball winning, reasonable athlete and reasonable foot skills. Makes very few errors and is consistent in performance and preparation. Can hit the scoreboard and has nice running patterns.

31. Sydney – Luke Strnadica (WA – KPF/RUC)

Height: 199cm

Weight: 88kg

Range: 15 - 45

Comparison: Kurt Tippett

Profile: Key position forward that has the height and ability to take on some ruck minutes. Needs to add size and start dominating junior games with smarts as much as with height. Good shot for goal when he gets in – just needs to start winning more ball. Nice mark but needs to add strength to his frame so as not to be so heavily impacted by the body spoil. Season could go either way, with his draft position reflecting that.

32. Gold Coast (via Richmond) – Jarrod Korewha (VIC – KPP)

Weight: 81kg

Profile: Super athletic if slightly undersized key position player. Has played at both ends but seems more settled as a key back. Plays a high impact and explosive game style. Intercepts and harasses opponents with real energy and zest for the contest. Can provide run and carry at his height.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Jake Waterman to be matched here

33. Hawthorn – Harry Morrison (VIC – DEF)

Height: 183cm

Profile: Nice rebounding back flanker. Has good athleticism and running power, as well as solid hands overhead. Reads the play well and provides an intercept option. Will develop rapidly in the modern AFL of zones and cohesive defense.

34. Western Bulldogs– Sam McLarty (VIC – KPD)

Height: 195cm

Weight: 91kg

Range: 15 - 40

Profile: Potential bargain in this draft. Good overhead, great size and has a real appetite for the contest. Slides because of no stand out attribute but is a good close checking defender that will work on his intercept and rebound work.

35. West Coast – Jake Waterman (WCE F/S – FOR/MID)

Weight: 84kg

Range: 30 – 50

Comparison:

Profile: A classy and damaging player with size and athleticism on his side. Really good overhead with his height and sure hands making for an awkward match up. A medium forward at this stage, it will be interesting to see if he can move into the midfield throughout the season. Needs to hit the scoreboard in bigger bunches or start playing in the centre square more regularly.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Tom Highmore to be matched here.

36. Geelong – Patrick Kerr (VIC – KPF) 192cm, 90kg)

Weight: 90kg

Range: 25 – 50

Profile: A mid sized forward in the modern game, Kerr uses his solid body to overwhelm underage opponents. High goal scoring option, Kerr has a nice mix of athleticism and power. The key for him will be if he develops enough forward line nous to be able to lose opponents and find space in dangerous positions.

-------------------------------------------------- End of Round #2 ------------------------------------------------

37. Essendon – Nicholas Giarrizzo (VIC – MID)

Height: 178cm

Comparison: Jack Steven

Profile: High character, hardworking and team oriented player. Elite top line speed and good inside ability despite a lack of size. Disposal ok but not damaging – tends to try and take the safe option. If he can improve this and add a few centimeters, he may become a draft bolter.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Josh Daicos to be matcher here

38. Carlton – Ben McGuinness (TAS – DEF)

Range: 30 onwards

Profile: Tasmania again producing the mid sized rebounding defenders for the AFL. McGuinness is a nice intercept and rebound type, using his height and read of the play to full advantage as he patrols the half back line. Can get exposed 1v1 as his frame is light, but this should improve as he builds muscle onto his frame. Not a super kick, if he can become more damaging and cut out the odd clanger kick, he could become a reliable back flanker for years to come.

39. Geelong (via Brisbane) – Sam White (VIC – KPD/DEF)

Profile: Nice hybrid defender. Capable of standing both talls and smalls, White would do well to provide greater intercept and rebound numbers as the season goes on. These are both elements of his game and skillsets he provides, clubs just need to see him take them to dominant levels.

40. Collingwood – Josh Daicos (COL F/S – FOR)

Height: ??

Weight: ??

Profile: Has started the year well after missing the TAC season during his underage year. Really nice foot skills and dangerous near goal. Needs to show consistency and an appetite for the defensive side of the game. Looks a likely type and has a skillset AFL clubs will value.

41. St Kilda – Jack Donnellan (TAS – DEF/MID)

Profile: Another mid-sized Tasmanian defender come midfielder. Donnellan has kicking skills, decision making and size on his side. Needs to win more ball and either become a fully fledged midfielder or dramatically improve his 1v1 in defense. A likely prospect that has some tools an AFL club could work with.

42. Gold Coast – Miles Poholke (VIC – MID/FOR)

Profile: AIS AFL Academy member, Poholke is an interesting player. Probably plays more as a high lead up half forward, if he can transition into the midfield it will greatly improve his stocks. Has a good sized body and impressed at Essendon during his week there over preseason. Needs to tighten up his field kicking and develop a few star elements to his game.

43. Greater Western Sydney – Tom Highmore (GWS ACADEMY – MID)

Range: 25 onwards

Profile: Nice well rounded midfielder. Good athlete, really nice skills and has a great frame. Could really develop into an inside / outside midfielder that is good overhead and can provide scoreboard impact. At this stage looks to be a rangy runner – probably off a wing as he hasn’t shown an aptitude for 1v1 defense. Could really come on throughout the year and force GWS to use a much higher pick.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Jack Rolls to be matched here

44. Melbourne – Tim Taranto (VIC – FOR)

Comparison: Alex Fasolo

Profile: A really nice size for the role he plays, Taranto is a difficult match up for defenders. Too quick for aerial defenders and too strong / good overhead for small backmen, Taranto has a lot going for him. Needs to increase his defensive output to get games at AFL level, but he does provide some offensive firepower. Would love to see him take games apart throughout the season to really establish his draft position.

NOTE: I predict a bid for Ben Jarman to be matched here

45. Port Adelaide – Steven Slimming (SA – MID)

Profile: Really nice player with lots of positive attributes. Shows leadership, ball winning ability and great running ability. Not elite in any one area may count against him as there is no ‘point of difference.’ Great character and really hard working player, if he can improve a couple of areas to become stand out features of his game, he could rise up draft boards.

46. Fremantle – Peter Ladhams (SA – RUC)

Height: 202cm

Weight: 90kg

Profile: Huge lad with massive upside. Could go much higher, but at this stage, apart from his brilliant tap work, just doesn’t have the production. Needs to become more involved around the ground and impose himself with second and third efforts. The kind of ruckman that could float around and pick up possessions in a Goldstein like fashion, we just need to see it.

47. Adelaide – Ben Jarman (ADE & HAW F/S – FOR/MID)

Height: 175cm

Profile: Not a lot to go off at this point. Seems to be able to accumulate some ball and provide excellent defensive pressure. Has lovely foot skills but needs to win the ball in more dangerous positions to utilise this skill set. His development over the year will determine how high he is drafted, but there is definitely scope for him to become a quality AFL player in the years to come.

48. Brisbane (via North Melbourne) – Jack Rolls (BRI ACADEMY – DEF/MID)

Height: 181cm

Weight: 71kg

Profile: A rangy build and a good runner, Rolls could really come on in 2016 or end up a rookie pick. Has a lot of nice attributes but hasn’t quite put them all together to become the player he could. At surface level he appears a good athlete with good foot skills and nice hands. In terms of performance, he drifts in and out of games and often makes poor decisions. If he can tighten up a few areas and make it onto an AFL list, he could put it all together and become a more than handy half back flanker / wingman.

49. Sydney – Mitchell Carter (SA – KPF)

Height: 196cm

Profile: Good sized key forward with strong hands and a good appetite for the contest. Has some production behind him – will just need to keep stepping up with each level he plays at. Some dominance throughout the season could see his stocks rise rapidly as there are some definite AFL attributes in Carter.

50. Richmond – Joseph Atley (VIC – MID)

Profile: A good size already, Atley it the younger brother of North Melbourne’s Shaun. Joseph is very much an inside mid, strong and explosive at the contest. Footskills need work as does his ability to spread and become a damaging multi-faceted midfielder rather that just an extractor. Has good pace – but hasn’t yet learned to use it effectively in game.

51. Hawthorn – Ezekiel Frank (NT – KPF/FOR)

Range: 20 - undrafted

Comparison: Jack Gunstan

Profile: Super athletic and freakish mid sized forward, Frank provides a matchup nightmare for opposition coaches. Capable in the air and at ground level, he provides serious offensive firepower. Worked diligently on the defensive side of his game throughout 2015 playing in the TAC cup. Not listed in the TAC season record this year so may have relocated back to the NT. Capable of things players his height are not, it will come down to consistency and application throughout games as to how high Frank can go.

52. Carlton (via Western Bulldogs) – Jordan Sweet (SA – RUC)

Height: 203cm

Weight: 105kg

Profile: Dominant ruckman at underage level, it will be interesting to see if it is due to size or craft. If he can display some nuance to his ruck work and win more ball around the ground, it will go a lot way towards his drafting.

53. West Coast – Zach Zdybell (VIC – KPF)

Profile: Athletic forward that needs to improve his football related stuff – kicking and forward nous. Ideally becomes a dangerous third tall forward that is a difficult match up.

54. Geelong – Ryan Garthwaite (NSW – KPD)

Profile: Really good lock down key defender. Forms a great defensive duo with Macreadie for NSW in the champs. Would like to add some rebound and intercept to his play, but is more than serviceable as a 1v1 defensive player.

-------------------------------------------------- End of Round #3 ------------------------------------------------
You don't think GWS will pick up Kobe Mutch ?as he is an academy boy!

Has to be in the mix but it may just depend on where other clubs rate him and where bids are entered. McCreadie and Sproule should be the first two to lock in inside the first round
i feel we already have enough currency to land all 5 of macreadie, sproule, setterfield, mutch and byrne without making a single trade.
we have 3 first rounders(ours, gellongs and pies), 2 second rounders(ours and adelaides), and all our other picks bar a 5th rounder.
with the expected departures of mccarthy and tomlinson at a minimum then we shouldve banked enough currency to trade out some picks this year for next year

i feel we already have enough currency to land all 5 of macreadie, sproule, setterfield, mutch and byrne without making a single trade.
we have 3 first rounders(ours, gellongs and pies), 2 second rounders(ours and adelaides), and all our other picks bar a 5th rounder.
with the expected departures of mccarthy and tomlinson at a minimum then we shouldve banked enough currency to trade out some picks this year for next year
You will easily cover the academy boys with your current picks. If Tomlinson and/or McCarthy leave then I'd expect you to trade up the order to maybe get someone like SPS.

You will easily cover the academy boys with your current picks. If Tomlinson and/or McCarthy leave then I'd expect you to trade up the order to maybe get someone like SPS.
I think SPS is a gun but the club seems to be going through a major overhaul of our depth in terms of getting rid of Victorians that are not in our future plans and replacing them with NSW players.

I think the club will again try to focus on future draft picks to ensure we are ripe for the next batch of academy kids with spargo among the headliners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think GWS will pick up Kobe Mutch ?as he is an academy boy!

My error - at the time of my last update I had missed Mutch as a GWS Academy player. My newest update will reflect the Giants taking him with one of their selections. Definitely a very handy player and one the Giants will be more than happy to match a bid for.

After drafting two early last year, and the early season form of our backline, do you really see us drafting two KPDs with our first two picks? Dogs needing tall defenders is out of date news.

Firstly, long term I see Rotham as an athletic utility. Just a great mover and a natural footballer. Reads the play, great skills and a fast / efficient decision maker. The exact kind of player that would fit into the Dogs game style. Will end up a star utility and was best available at the time of my last update. In my next update I have him going a little earlier than the Dogs' first pick, so you may not get him anyway. If available, would be a wonderful get.

As for McLarty - firstly I felt he was best available. Secondly - and this is a view from outside the Dogs inner sanctum (and as such could be way off the mark) - there have to be concerns on the long term viability of the key position defenders on the list. Morris and Wood (who both play taller than they are), will both admit to being closer to the end of their careers than the start. They also aren't suited to playing on big power forwards. Roughead looks to be forging a career as a ruck / forward. Adams, while highly impressive so far, has only played four games. As good as he has been, we need some long term evidence to have him as a definite lock long term. Hamling and Roberts are both still in the 'potential' rather than 'assured' stage of a young KPDs life, and may never become AFL quality players. Finally Collins (who I rate highly), is yet to even get a chance, and as such cannot be viewed as a long term KPD saviour. McLarty may be overkill, but you want to end up with two star KPDs to allow your wave of runners to peel off.

I think SPS is a gun but the club seems to be going through a major overhaul of our depth in terms of getting rid of Victorians that are not in our future plans and replacing them with NSW players.

I think the club will again try to focus on future draft picks to ensure we are ripe for the next batch of academy kids with spargo among the headliners

I too agree that GWS will follow this future picks strategy. Build a powerful side filled with young men local to the area than won't be looking to 'head home' during their careers. It just makes sense for the club long term to do this.

If there's room to do it absolutely go for it, nothing holding you back.

Do you or does anyone else know if Academy bids will need to be matched via the points / draft ranking system. E.g. A matched bid on Macreadie would see you lose at least your first live pick in the draft, a matched bid on Sproule loses you another later pick etc.

Basically will it be the same as 2015?

My error - at the time of my last update I had missed Mutch as a GWS Academy player. My newest update will reflect the Giants taking him with one of their selections. Definitely a very handy player and one the Giants will be more than happy to match a bid for.

Firstly, long term I see Rotham as an athletic utility. Just a great mover and a natural footballer. Reads the play, great skills and a fast / efficient decision maker. The exact kind of player that would fit into the Dogs game style. Will end up a star utility and was best available at the time of my last update. In my next update I have him going a little earlier than the Dogs' first pick, so you may not get him anyway. If available, would be a wonderful get.

As for McLarty - firstly I felt he was best available. Secondly - and this is a view from outside the Dogs inner sanctum (and as such could be way off the mark) - there have to be concerns on the long term viability of the key position defenders on the list. Morris and Wood (who both play taller than they are), will both admit to being closer to the end of their careers than the start. They also aren't suited to playing on big power forwards. Roughead looks to be forging a career as a ruck / forward. Adams, while highly impressive so far, has only played four games. As good as he has been, we need some long term evidence to have him as a definite lock long term. Hamling and Roberts are both still in the 'potential' rather than 'assured' stage of a young KPDs life, and may never become AFL quality players. Finally Collins (who I rate highly), is yet to even get a chance, and as such cannot be viewed as a long term KPD saviour. McLarty may be overkill, but you want to end up with two star KPDs to allow your wave of runners to peel off.

I too agree that GWS will follow this future picks strategy. Build a powerful side filled with young men local to the area than won't be looking to 'head home' during their careers. It just makes sense for the club long term to do this.
Morris is on his last legs, for sure, but Cordy is ready to step in. Wood is only 26. Roberts is patchy, agreed, but Hamling has proven himself capable - his form towards the end of last year was really good. And the fact that Adams and Collins have played 4 and 0 games respectively is not a good reason to say we need to draft more backs, they've only been on the list for 4 games and Adams especially has shown he's got what it takes. Give them a chance to show what they can do before deciding we need more back there. And we play small anyway. Our backline is actually probably our deepest area of the ground now, except for maybe small inside mids. I'm not saying "backline sorted forever forget about it" but there's other areas of the ground we need to look to at this point. Honestly, when putting together our best 22, it becomes difficult deciding who to leave out of the backline. We've kept three teams to less than 50 points and Hawthorn to less than 100 this year.

What I think we need:
Athletic tall CHF
Ruck (depending on the development of Roughy/Campbell this year)
Dedicated small forward
Rebounding half back flank
Speed

Last edited:
If there's room to do it absolutely go for it, nothing holding you back.

Do you or does anyone else know if Academy bids will need to be matched via the points / draft ranking system. E.g. A matched bid on Macreadie would see you lose at least your first live pick in the draft, a matched bid on Sproule loses you another later pick etc.

Basically will it be the same as 2015?
Still the same points system as last draft

There's always some concern with interstate players. SPS is on record with a couple of interesting points:

1) his love for his home and getting back there as frequently as possible.

2) his eagerness to get to Melbourne and experience the buzz of a massive football city.

He does seem a super determined young fella and someone who wants to get into the AFL a make something of himself. He also harbours ambitions to return home at the end of his career and give back to his local community.

With these positive traits I expect him to see out a career wherever he is drafted - however, there may always be the pull of home. It will no doubt come down to whether or not a club feels it can provide an environment that will encourage SPS to stay long term.
Good work to date. A comment on Sam Petrevski-Seton:

He is a great kid and an electric talent but Claremont have done a great job in supporting him - he has clearly shone in WA Colts. He is from far north WA so the risk for me goes up. Add that to a potential cultural problems of senior players leaving Essendon and the whole ASADA crap likely to be around for another year or two - I believe it will be too tempting for Essendon but a bad move for them to draft SPS. I think he will love the buzz of Melbourne but do not believe he will settle easily. The thrill of Saturday at the MCG is one thing - the harsh realities of the long Melbourne winters, the constant traffic pile ups and the massive increase in the number of people will be real issues for him to cope with (add to that Essendon sitting near the bottom rung of the ladder) not just easy talk.

As an Eagles supporter, I only wish the indigenous academy rules were already in place so we could take him. Also cannot see us being able to get the necessary currency to get a top 4 pick which is where he will likely go.

Morris is on his last legs, for sure, but Cordy is ready to step in. Wood is only 26. Roberts is patchy, agreed, but Hamling has proven himself capable - his form towards the end of last year was really good. And the fact that Adams and Collins have played 4 and 0 games respectively is not a good reason to say we need to draft more backs, they've only been on the list for 4 games and Adams especially has shown he's got what it takes. Give them a chance to show what they can do before deciding we need more back there. And we play small anyway. Our backline is actually probably our deepest area of the ground now, except for maybe small inside mids. I'm not saying "backline sorted forever forget about it" but there's other areas of the ground we need to look to at this point. Honestly, when putting together our best 22, it becomes difficult deciding who to leave out of the backline. We've kept three teams to less than 50 points and Hawthorn to less than 100 this year.

What I think we need:
Athletic tall CHF
Ruck (depending on the development of Roughy/Campbell this year)
Dedicated small forward
Rebounding half back flank
Speed

Cheers for the feedback - it's always good to here from people who watch their sides week in week out!

I agree your small to mid sized backs are a definite strength of the list. There are too many good ones to fit in to the best 22! However, it will be interesting to see how you go against a side like North Melbourne who have multiple Key Forward targets. How do you match up on the combo of Waite, Brown, Petrie and potentially a fourth tall like Wood or Black? Will be interesting to see none the less!

In terms of the requirements you have listed, I think a forward line of Roughead / Other resting ruck, Crameri, Stringer and Boyd is both tall and athletic enough. In fact, it could be one of the best and most balanced forward lines going around when you add Dahlhaus and either Dickson or McLean to the mix.

You definitely need a ruckman - which my latest update has addressed. McLean will be your long term small forward (even though he is capable of pushing up through the wings, his overhead marking is a treat). He is a young player I rate super highly. A draft steal.

As for a rebounding hbf and extra speed, I don't feel they are key needs. You guys are super strong in these areas. I would be looking at best possible players because the core of your list is both talented and has great depth. You guys can afford to just keep adding talent at this stage. The Bulldogs, in my opinion, are building something special.

Small update (23/04). Includes:

- Some new players and profiles.
- Alterations to the Power Rankings.
- Alterations to the Phantom Draft to reflect improving players and potential draft order.

Cheers for the feedback - it's always good to here from people who watch their sides week in week out!

I agree your small to mid sized backs are a definite strength of the list. There are too many good ones to fit in to the best 22! However, it will be interesting to see how you go against a side like North Melbourne who have multiple Key Forward targets. How do you match up on the combo of Waite, Brown, Petrie and potentially a fourth tall like Wood or Black? Will be interesting to see none the less!

In terms of the requirements you have listed, I think a forward line of Roughead / Other resting ruck, Crameri, Stringer and Boyd is both tall and athletic enough. In fact, it could be one of the best and most balanced forward lines going around when you add Dahlhaus and either Dickson or McLean to the mix.

You definitely need a ruckman - which my latest update has addressed. McLean will be your long term small forward (even though he is capable of pushing up through the wings, his overhead marking is a treat). He is a young player I rate super highly. A draft steal.

As for a rebounding hbf and extra speed, I don't feel they are key needs. You guys are super strong in these areas. I would be looking at best possible players because the core of your list is both talented and has great depth. You guys can afford to just keep adding talent at this stage. The Bulldogs, in my opinion, are building something special.
Thanks, I agree we're building towards something great. We could probably just go best available to be honest. As for the forwardline, I feel we need someone who can roam high and take contested marks on the wing and deliver it in, while our fully fit fowardline is strong we're still missing this. Your North example is a good one when testing our backline, and you are right we don't match up well against them, best Bev seems happy to go small, give up a couple of goals to height advantage, and make up for it on the rebound. Check out the game against them last year, this is what happened. I can't see us ever playing two massive KPFs.

Anyway, enjoying the phantom, keep it up.

Brett Anderson saying Battle not a chance for top 15. Personally, I thought he would end up top 10 by years end but maybe clubs dont rate him? Obviously still a lot of water to go under the bridge.

Love your work by the way! Have been waiting for something like this to pop up

Brett Anderson saying Battle not a chance for top 15. Personally, I thought he would end up top 10 by years end but maybe clubs dont rate him? Obviously still a lot of water to go under the bridge.

Love your work by the way! Have been waiting for something like this to pop up

Thanks for the kind words!

Battle didn't make the AIS Squad initially - which spurred him to improve his fitness. When he did get a late call up to the Academy he won the 3k time trial during the OS trip - an outstanding effort for a tall. Is a kid that wants to improve. Super competitive. I think he will keep rising up draft boards and end up being taken right at the pointy end. If Essendon ends up with two early picks (potentially with Hooker leaving as a FA), they will take Battle with one of them. He kicked another 4 for the Stingrays this weekend, so production is looking good early in the year. I just love the way he competes when the ball hits the deck and his unselfishness around goal. There has even been talk (although, I haven't bought in just yet) that he will play some midfield minutes during the season. If this plays out to be true, this can only aid his draft chances.

Any chance of the debutant Joshua Begley from Eastern Ranges after kicking 6. Strong game, coming from senior footy just wanna know anyones early thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back