Rucci upsets supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think your Port Adelaide experiences as a kid argument is bulldust. It didn't effect the crowds 10 years ago when these so called terrible experiences would have been way fresher in people's minds, it's not like it's been a delayed reaction.

The biggest problem with Port is the way the team is playing and has played over the past 5 years and Port supporters not showing up to watch them play.
Could both of you be right?
Perhaps you're right saying your fans don't turn up anymore due to the performance, but perhaps Alex is right claiming that non-Port fan have never turned up due to past behaviours?

Could both of you be right?
Perhaps you're right saying your fans don't turn up anymore due to the performance, but perhaps Alex is right claiming that non-Port fan have never turned up due to past behaviours?

But a third of the crowd there on Saturday night were Crows fans. They showed up. Blaming the Crows fans for not showing up is clearly wrong. it was a Port home game. It is the Port supporters who should be showing up..... and they clearly didn't.

I think your Port Adelaide experiences as a kid argument is bulldust. It didn't effect the crowds 10 years ago when these so called terrible experiences would have been way fresher in people's minds, it's not like it's been a delayed reaction.

Yeah but 10 years ago 'Showdowns' were exciting, riveting and a brand new experience where the unknown was the factor. However, over time as the same experiences and behaviours were being perpetuated after Port Adelaide victories because your supporters are nothing but ego manic buffoons who can not control their own actions. But you keep putting your head in the sand and keep accepting the behaviour some of your supporters are demonstrating as acceptable.

The biggest problem with Port is the way the team is playing and has played over the past 5 years and Port supporters not showing up to watch them play. The Showdown was a prime example. I reckon a third of the crowd at least were crows supporters. That means just over 20,000 Port supporters rocked up to the biggest home game of the year, in their most preffered timeslot on a cold but otherwise good night for football. Port supporters are fed up watching how pathetic the club has become, how pathetic the coach and coaching selections have become, how pathetic player development has become. That is the bottom line. When you are served up this crap and are almost completely devoid of hope in your football club, this is what happens.

Sorry, but I don't buy that dribble. we have heard from Port supporters over the last 20 years that this doesn't happen because they are the best, biggest and most loyal supporters in any competition. Looks and sounds like more excuses to me.

Rucci, Cornes, Rowe, KG et al are imbeciles, on that I'm sure any reasonable person can agree, but blaming them for Port's situation (or the Crows in the past) is drawing a long bow.

Have not read your board lately? Without those influencing your clubs demise, Port Adelaide would win premiership after premiership and sell out AAMI Stadium 10 fold but they are keeping people away with their negativity.

But a third of the crowd there on Saturday night were Crows fans. They showed up. Blaming the Crows fans for not showing up is clearly wrong. it was a Port home game. It is the Port supporters who should be showing up..... and they clearly didn't.

Approx. 15,000 Crows supporters turned up.

Saying that, 24 hours earlier 75,000 to watch Collingwood vs Carlton and Carlton had lost 6 in a row.

Sorry, but I don't buy that dribble. we have heard from Port supporters over the last 20 years that this doesn't happen because they are the best, biggest and most loyal supporters in any competition. Looks and sounds like more excuses to me.

I'm not sure what your point is? Port play crap. Supporters don't show up. It's a fairly simple concept. Port don't have the best or biggest or most loyal supporter base, I think that is fairly clear. You call it an excuse, I call it reality.

Approx. 15,000 Crows supporters turned up.

Saying that, 24 hours earlier 75,000 to watch Collingwood vs Carlton and Carlton had lost 6 in a row.

Again what is your point? It was a Collingwood home game wasn't it? Don't Collingwood have over 60,000 members? A home game after winning a dozen or so games in row against your biggest rival who you are expecting to pummel on a Friday night? Collingwood pull 45k on a Saturday arvo against Freo. If anything that crowd would have been below expectation. My point is that Port supporters aren't showing up and the prime reason behind that is the way the team is playing. It ain't rocket science.

I'm not sure what your point is? Port play crap. Supporters don't show up. It's a fairly simple concept. Port don't have the best or biggest or most loyal supporter base, I think that is fairly clear. You call it an excuse, I call it reality.

in terms of the Port playing crap excuse (or reality)

honeslty, how much of this is economic and how much of this is fans being soft?

From what I can garner from 5aa and their callers some of the reason that people don't go to the footy

AAMI is a crap stadium
AAMI is hard to get to
AAMI is Crow centric (Port Only)
AAMI has crap facilities
Port/Crows play crap
I'm a Crows/Port member and don't get access to the 2nd Showdown
It's easier to watch on TV
It costs too much to go to the football
I don't have the time to go to the football

Now, I ask you and anyone else on the board - which of these is a legitimate response and which is a response given by the majority of people who don't want to admit not having the cash to go?

Port - even more so than the Crows would have a huge part of their supporter base who simply can not afford to go to the football - we are after all the poorest state on the mainland

76k fans going to a Collingwood v Carlton game is largely irrelevant - those games will always pull big number based not only on the size of the supporter bases but also the additional people who go because it is another event to go to (and they have the disposable income)

I still don't believe that the AO stadium is going to address the central issue facing SA footy fans - Time and Money.

AAMI is a crap stadium
AAMI is hard to get to
AAMI has crap facilities

All of these issues are real, albeit smaller factors (that all add up mind you), but I still see the sides form as the biggest issue.

But of those you've listed above, the first 4 and the last one should no longer come up as excuses when football moves to the Oval.

Knocked up a chart to show graphically where both teams stand:

nozzfr.jpg

Last year was the worst year for attendances for both sides since entering the competition. This year is slightly up on that.

Port fans stopped coming when they realised what the AFL was really like.

During the glory SANFL days when they were perennial finalists, won all the time and took home premiership after premiership... very easy to be a loyal, supportive fan and turn up to every game.

Sure, sure... the first couple of AFL years were a little lean but they were just finding their feet, right? Then normal service resumed - finals, minor premierships, the 2004 flag. Crowds healthy, everyone happy. Port in the SANFL... Port in the AFL... it was one and the same.

Since then the harsh reality has sunk in that it won't be like the SANFL. They are just another club. There is nothing special about them. Their supporters don't like it one bit. This wasn't part of the deal.

Mind you, our fans... let's not even bother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but, Port are the real 'club', they are the club with real supporters and history, didn't you hear?

AAMI is a crap stadium
AAMI is hard to get to
AAMI has crap facilities

All of these issues are real, albeit smaller factors (that all add up mind you), but I still see the sides form as the biggest issue.

But of those you've listed above, the first 4 and the last one should no longer come up as excuses when football moves to the Oval.

Aami is crows centric? What about when Adelaide eventually move their base to Adelaide Oval?

The biggest problem with Port is the way the team is playing and has played over the past 5 years and Port supporters not showing up to watch them play. The Showdown was a prime example. I reckon a third of the crowd at least were crows supporters. That means just over 20,000 Port supporters rocked up to the biggest home game of the year, in their most preffered timeslot on a cold but otherwise good night for football. Port supporters are fed up watching how pathetic the club has become, how pathetic the coach and coaching selections have become, how pathetic player development has become. That is the bottom line. When you are served up this crap and are almost completely devoid of hope in your football club, this is what happens.

Rucci, Cornes, Rowe, KG et al are imbeciles, on that I'm sure any reasonable person can agree, but blaming them for Port's situation (or the Crows in the past) is drawing a long bow.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believed that the showdown was nearly sold out. With Port Power having 37,000 members of a 50,000 capacity stadium, there must have been about 13,000 day tickets sold. You would think that everyone who bought a ticket during the week would definitely go. So that leaves 22,000 of the 35,000 that went would have been Port members.

From this I conclude that the Crows fans did there bit by buying all or nearly all of the available tickets and the shortfall was due to Port season ticket holders not showing up. 22,000 out of 35,000 turning up to the biggest game of the year is a bit week.

Where do you live that it takes 2 hours to get to the CBD? In 2 hours you could be in Victor Harbour or Snowtown.
Online check-in, hop on a plane, taxi to game.

Could do the 4 hour round trip from Melbourne :p

Well I catch the train from Noarlunga Centre to Adelaide when going to uni. If say I had a 2:10 pm lecture then I would leave my place at 12:20 to catch the 12:45 train. This does get me in earlier than 2:10pm but if I cought the next I would be walking into lecture late.

The footy express leaves 2 hours before each game , so even though I am not travelling for the whole 2hrs I can't avoid giving up that time(without driving of course). When the crowd gets to about 45K it does take 2hrs to get on a bus and get back home again with all the stops between.

I do drive to the footy occasionally but for a single person it isn't environmentally or economically friendly.

Well I catch the train from Noarlunga Centre to Adelaide when going to uni. If say I had a 2:10 pm lecture then I would leave my place at 1:20 to catch the 1:45 train. This does get me in earlier than 2:10pm but if I cought the next I would be walking into lecture late.

The footy express leaves 2 hours before each game , so even though I am not travelling for the whole 2hrs I can't avoid giving up that time(without driving of course). When the crowd gets to about 45K it does take 2hrs to get on a bus and get back home again with all the stops between.

I do drive to the footy occasionally but for a single person it isn't environmentally or economically friendly.

I'm in Moana and the footy express trip is a challenge. I particularly dislike the late games as I get home well after midnight, I'm looking forward to the move to Adelaide Oval because I'll be able to get a train from the new Seaford station right through to Adelaide then just a short walk to the ground. I imagine that Adelaide Oval will be better for everyone as regards transport-depending on how the car parks are built and orgnised. At present it is over 2 hours each way travel to get to AAMI.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back