Running and shin splints

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue is that ibuprofen is masking the problem rather than fixing it. Shin splints are often a warning of overuse and/or biomechanical problems - things that, in some cases, can lead to stress fractures if simply ignored.

This is what i was getting at

Subscribed.
I have had the shin splints bad for the past year.
I'm one of those people who wont see a doctor unless I'm dying. But you have inspired me, I'll make an effort to go see a podiatrist.

In saying that the past 1.5 weeks my shins have felt as good as ever (not perfect, but almost pain free), I bought a new pair of sneakers and a new pair of work shoes. Seems like it's almost certaintly to do with the feet.

In saying that the past 1.5 weeks my shins have felt as good as ever (not perfect, but almost pain free), I bought a new pair of sneakers and a new pair of work shoes. Seems like it's almost certaintly to do with the feet.
If you apply pressure to the back of your tibia, how does it feel?

I thought my shin splints were finally getting better because I didn't feel it ordinarily, but then when my podiatrist did that test they were agony. Still really badly inflamed.

I got orthotics and rejigged my exercise schedule to make it lower-impact and now they're virtually fine.

The issue is that ibuprofen is masking the problem rather than fixing it. Shin splints are often a warning of overuse and/or biomechanical problems - things that, in some cases, can lead to stress fractures if simply ignored.

Correct. I can be said that obesity and type II diabetes are not the same thing but if you are suffering from obesity something is wrong and you are at increased risk of developing diabetes. Shin splints, like obesity in the above example, are the flashing neon sign telling you that you need to change something.

At worst you should only really be taking NSAIDs to get through a game and if you are using them to keep up an increased training workload you are putting yourself at increased risk of an injury induced longer lay-off and a very load road to getting rid of the shin splints.

I thought I'd pop in and say I hope the OP and everyone else who has had shin splints is getting over them.I dont think I've had them before I did have a pain right in the middle of my left foot after I got after I my ankle broken playing footy it comes and goes.
Wow there are some good runners in this thread.

You do realise that the "treatment" you are proposing here only addresses the symptoms and not the root cause, right?

Yes. That's the entire point. I think you'll find that's what most treatments do.

Also they actually do act on the cause to diminish the damage and help accelerate healing while keeping the pain at a minimum for a short period of burst activity.

For the shin splints vs stress fractures, they aren't related via causation no matter what a couple of quack websites written by 55 year old women with a degree in sitting at home and having opinions will tell you. They are related to overworking. Yeah there's a link, but having one will not give you the other. There is no causation. Shin splints will never develop into stress fractures, they effect totally different areas of the leg. One is muscle one is bone.

What I'm trying to say is running with shin splints will not give you a stress fracture; running with bones struggling to remodel themselves correctly due to overwork or other causes is what gives you a stress fracture, shin splints might just happen to be there at the same time. Yes if you have shin splints it might be a sign of overwork where your entire body is about to implode, but it also might be a sign of... Shin splints!

If you have shin splints treat the shin splints with rest and ice (and anti-inflammatories if you insist on exerting yourself every now and then).

Omg some people just have no idea

Omg some people just have no idea

Use some evidence mate, I have education in this field and all you are saying is "you're wrong" without saying why.

Caesar, correct answer as usual. However, as my 'professional' opinion I believe short term or sporadic use is appropriate if all the other precautions (rest and ice) have been followed. As a bigfooty response I say have at it until you get side effects, i.e. never. If you're young and use it once a week nothing will happen to you.

I thought I'd pop in and say I hope the OP and everyone else who has had shin splints is getting over them.I dont think I've had them before I did have a pain right in the middle of my left foot after I got after I my ankle broken playing footy it comes and goes.
Wow there are some good runners in this thread.

I broke my ankle late last year and I'm still struggling with some of the bloody indirect problems rising from it.

Shin splints have been giving me hell over the soccer pre-season. Just discovered they were the reason for my pain after the club brought in some physios. Definitely going to book another session and get onto some orthotics after reading this, so thanks heaps guys.

Try wearing full length Skins - A400's. Helped me start to run again after compartment syndrome. Worth a shot.

I've had compartment syndrome and shin splints at the same time. Pain was excrutiating. Worse than when I broke my leg Nathan Brown style.

Agree with your assessment. Some type of compression, bandaging should help.

Developed shin splints a number of years ago during a hilly outdoor run one day following months of running on a gym treadmill -my legs simply weren't conditioned for the extra impact.

Felt pain, but wasn't sure what it was; so went for the same run a day or so later. Same result which convinced me something was wrong and it was probably shin splints.

To recover I pretty much stopped all running for a while, then gradually worked my way back. Slow running on the treadmill initially (no incline) and then eventually some outdoor running on flat courses.

Essentially you need to give your bones time to re-knit and strengthen, as splints are basically minor fractures. One tip I picked up was to stretch your achilles prior to running. This is the same as a calf stretch, but with a more bent knee. I can't say for sure it helps, but I still do it to this day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvmBNvag-A4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goZNN8h6M6E&feature=related

Watch this people and then realise why people get injured.
Minimal running everyone for efficientcy and also if you want to run for long periods of time this is the key.

Not many heel strikers can run 100mile at a time. Some of these people are pure midsole foot strikers and are able to run for long periods of time without injury. Of course progressive load increases but if you look at studys showing how much more stress goes through your bones and muscles when running on your heel rather than your forefoot you will understand.

These plagued me throughout my junior sporting days, and now they're doing it again. I was running daily a few weeks ago and doing well, but then they came and I've not even jogged for two weeks.

Go see a podiatrist, you might need sports orthodics.

Good post, and possibly the reason why they've come back to me.

I have diagnosed 'overarched' feet, and I had a pair of orthotics made. About a year and a half ago, I got home from a long day and left my shoes at the door as I'd sometimes do. Fast forward to the next morning and my ****ing shoes are gone. Not quite in a position to replace them yet, too many expenses.

Another issue: I did actually have a jog around the corner last week which I'd forgotten about, but after about 15 minutes my feet were on fire. In the end I had to walk home in my socks - trainers issue or feet issue?

A common theme here is overuse, particularly when you go from doing very little to pushing yourself in a short period of time.

Say going from running at training only, to running 5+ times a week.

Ice after activity, stretch everyday (whole leg and back, not just the calf... believe it or not hammy tightness can affect the calf and vice versa) and strengthen your calf.

Shin splints can lead to stress fractures through increased stress on the bone, so I wouldn't recommend doing nothing.

Probably been covered, but running on hard surfaces with shin splints is a no go.

I've got them since towards the end of last year. I was only running in hybrid cross trainers/runners which probably did me no favours.

In January this year for the first time I went to Active Feet. Turned out my arches are quite collapsed and I pronate quite significantly. For the first time in my life I bought both running shoes and cross trainers that suited my feet.

Coincidentally less than a week before these purchases I got foot pain on the top of my left foot, so I saw a podiatrist for mainly that issue a few weeks later. I had assumed from some self-diagnosis this was due to the bones in the top of my foot clashing due to flat feet (and was correct) so had been sporting some off-the-shelf orthotics to fix that in the short-term. The podiatrist suggested continuing to use these if they removed the pain and potentially look at other orthotics in the future if they didn't. The foot pain is now gone.

However I still get shin splints, generally on the outside front edge of my shin bone about two-thirds down. For a little while I was putting the new orthotics into my running shoes when I ran until I started to get mega pains on the inside edges of my shin bone. I quickly stopped that activity and now where orthotics most days but don't wear them when running.

Just went on a long run/walk around the park. My feet are on fire and my leg feels like lead. Better pay up and get some new orthitcs, because I need to lose 3 or 4 kilos to be at a happy weight, and I can barely move...

Whenever I go for a run on a hard surface my calves really kill but on grass/sand they are alright. Even when I stretch them after warming up they are still not pain free. Any suggestions?

Assuming you run barefoot on the sand your gait and foot strike will be different. This is how you're supposed to run. Replicate the style when you run in shoes on a hard surface. The aim is to make shorter, lighter strides and to land mid foot, so that your heel just kisses the ground, rather than taking the impact of the landing.

This style is harder on the calves though so maybe your technique is okay and it's just the surface being less forgiving. It takes a while to build up the strength in the calves but the key is you can and you'll reduce the chance of shin splints, knee injuries etc. Just make sure you warm up and stretch afterwards. No matter how good your technique, overuse will get you in some way. The strength in your legs to go certain distances will take longer to develop than the cardio fitness required.

Assuming you run barefoot on the sand your gait and foot strike will be different. This is how you're supposed to run. Replicate the style when you run in shoes on a hard surface. The aim is to make shorter, lighter strides and to land mid foot, so that your heel just kisses the ground, rather than taking the impact of the landing.

This style is harder on the calves though so maybe your technique is okay and it's just the surface being less forgiving. It takes a while to build up the strength in the calves but the key is you can and you'll reduce the chance of shin splints, knee injuries etc. Just make sure you warm up and stretch afterwards. No matter how good your technique, overuse will get you in some way. The strength in your legs to go certain distances will take longer to develop than the cardio fitness required.
Thanks for your reply. I actually run with the same shoes on the sand as on hard surface.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back