Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fell a bit short this year - balancing fatherhood and a running career will do that! Have cut the commute to work by 50mims each way next year, so that might make things a lot easier.

A good start and middle of the year, not so much the end, but did my final session of the year in a C12 town in Germany and picked up 4 KOM's along the way, so there's a positive if any!

Next year, 6250km will be the goal, a place at one of the main Australian HM's and a marathon debut. There'll only ever be one more championship in Australia during my time (GC18) - better get working!

Well done to all the BF Strava guys - let's get even more on board, logging regular kms, running park runs regularly and hitting some pb's!

a018cd3d6245174fc67693e2b5907507.jpg
Any reason for 6250kms specifically?

Any reason for 6250kms specifically?

Average 120km/week... that accounts for taper weeks, niggles and travel. Ideally 135-140km would be ripe but need to be realistic, and put in good 8-10 week blocks of 140-150, then back it off for a few weeks

I'm in the market for a new watch. Anyone got any suggestions?

I only run so I don't need to worry about multi sport capability. Otherwise, I'm after all the usual standard features. Not fussed about heat rate monitoring and I already have a wireless MP3 player so I don't need that as a feature. Looking to spend no more than around $450.
I've looked at the Tom Tom Spark/Runner (1st and 3rd model) and Garmin Forerunners 35, 230 and 235. The 230 and 235 appeal to me most so far. Amongst other things, I don't particularly like the look of the others.

I also noticed that the Forerunner is on sale at Rebel sport at the moment for $299 (which is well down on the normal retail price of $469). That seems crazy. Am I missing something?

Thanks heaps

So a tentative schedule for the year is up.

FEBRUARY: Wangaratta Half marathon (CONFIRMED, the bib has been posted!)
MARCH: Twilight Half Marathon (TBC, will need to check with work regarding rosters)
APRIL: Canberra Ultra (50km, ENTERED LAST NIGHT)
JUNE: Comrades Marathon (one of the lucky 20000 that entered, training for that has started with the events before this day also acting as training under race conditions, important IMO leading into big ticket items)
JULY: Gold Coast Marathon (Training for this will be limited given I'll be spending the last month before the first Sunday in July basically recovering from Comrades)
AUGUST: City2Surf (Sydney, 50/50 at this stage, may even bypass for local footy), City to Surf (Perth, IF I go it will only be for a Half Marathon rather than the full marathon, perhaps the knees will thank me!)
SEPTEMBER: Sydney Half Marathon (Again pending work rosters)
OCTOBER: Melbourne Marathon (40th running this year)
NOVEMBER: Either Point to Pinnacle (Hobart) or Queenstown Marathon pending fitness and finances

I only run so I don't need to worry about multi sport capability. Otherwise, I'm after all the usual standard features. Not fussed about heat rate monitoring and I already have a wireless MP3 player so I don't need that as a feature. Looking to spend no more than around $450.
I've looked at the Tom Tom Spark/Runner (1st and 3rd model) and Garmin Forerunners 35, 230 and 235. The 230 and 235 appeal to me most so far. Amongst other things, I don't particularly like the look of the others.

I also noticed that the Forerunner is on sale at Rebel sport at the moment for $299 (which is well down on the normal retail price of $469). That seems crazy. Am I missing something?

Thanks heaps
i have an FR230 and im happy with it.
i cant tell you anything about it that you wont find on DCRainmaker.com but if you have any questions regarding my personal experience just ask.

i didnt buy the 235 cause i dont trust the optical HR but at $299 its a solid running watch (and less than i paid anyway).
my only complaint is the way it looks. its looks like a childs toy or something out of a Christmas cracker.

the other watch i would consider is the Polar M400 which you can pick up for $250 or less now, but the lack of ANT+ is a deal breaker for me.

What is the race you most want to do? Domestic and International.

For me, in terms of in Aus, I would love to do the Great Ocean Road HM or FM. Just love that part of Victoria, and running along the coast is the best.

In terms of international, I want to conquer the five boroughs of the magnificent New York City.

I plan to go into the draw for NYC this year. Apparently, international applicants have about 20-25% chance of being randomly selected. So fingers crossed.

Not sure when I will get the opportunity to do the Great Ocean Road race as i won't be in Victoria this May.

For me, in terms of in Aus, I would love to do the Great Ocean Road HM or FM. Just love that part of Victoria, and running along the coast is the best.

In terms of international, I want to conquer the five boroughs of the magnificent New York City.

I plan to go into the draw for NYC this year. Apparently, international applicants have about 20-25% chance of being randomly selected. So fingers crossed.

Not sure when I will get the opportunity to do the Great Ocean Road race as i won't be in Victoria this May.

I've done Great Ocean Road Full. It was a great run, lucked out and got perfect weather, I did either 2012 or 2013, some stunning scenery takes the mind off the arduous run.

The ones I'd like to do are:

Locally - Two Bays, Puffing Billy run (not a marathon but still need to do it)

Overseas - New York, San Fran and Paris.

So a tentative schedule for the year is up.

FEBRUARY: Wangaratta Half marathon (CONFIRMED, the bib has been posted!)
MARCH: Twilight Half Marathon (TBC, will need to check with work regarding rosters)
APRIL: Canberra Ultra (50km, ENTERED LAST NIGHT)
JUNE: Comrades Marathon (one of the lucky 20000 that entered, training for that has started with the events before this day also acting as training under race conditions, important IMO leading into big ticket items)
JULY: Gold Coast Marathon (Training for this will be limited given I'll be spending the last month before the first Sunday in July basically recovering from Comrades)
AUGUST: City2Surf (Sydney, 50/50 at this stage, may even bypass for local footy), City to Surf (Perth, IF I go it will only be for a Half Marathon rather than the full marathon, perhaps the knees will thank me!)
SEPTEMBER: Sydney Half Marathon (Again pending work rosters)
OCTOBER: Melbourne Marathon (40th running this year)
NOVEMBER: Either Point to Pinnacle (Hobart) or Queenstown Marathon pending fitness and finances

Love to hear how Comrades goes. I've read a little but about it. Meant to be an amazing experience. Your first?

How did you go? Tell us all about it!

Absolutely magnificent day. Weather was perfect, about 15 degrees at the start, with a lovely cool breeze. Set off from Cape Schanck and it was quite bunched up for the first 7-8kms due to it being a single track and a little tricky to pass. That was fine anyway and the pace was quite easy, which I didn't mind. Then we hit the diversion to avoid the oncoming 28km runners, and this was very sandy and quite draining to run on. Then on to Hyslops Road which was mostly down hill, on to Arthurs Seat for the long climb up, and then the 3km run down in to Dromana. The lead runners were heading back up Arthurs Seat by now and it was great to see the pace they maintain going uphill, amazing. The quads were also given a good work out on the way down. Hit Dromana about 2:59, rang the ceremonial bell, grabbed some protein bars, vegemite sandwich & gels, refilled the water pack, and headed back up Arthurs Seat for a second time. As this was mostly plodding & walking it was a good chance to get some food down. Spent about 4 mins at Dromana, so got going at about 3:04. Once Arthur Seat was done, it was nice to settle in to some rolling trails, then up Hyslops Road, and through some beautiful trails towards the welcoming sight of BushRanger Bay. Once you hear the water you know there isn't long to go. At about the 54k mark there are the dreaded stairs, a steep incline of steps that take some willpower to get up. Then the great run to the finish line. As I was by myself by probably +/- 200m, the welcoming from the crowd is quite amazing and very personal and loud. Ended up finishing in 6:03, couldn't quite bust 6 hrs, but hopefully next year. Absolute must do event. My first ultra, so took away a bit of learning about the importance of correct nutrition and pacing. Organisation, volunteers and course all A++++

Absolutely magnificent day. Weather was perfect, about 15 degrees at the start, with a lovely cool breeze. Set off from Cape Schanck and it was quite bunched up for the first 7-8kms due to it being a single track and a little tricky to pass. That was fine anyway and the pace was quite easy, which I didn't mind. Then we hit the diversion to avoid the oncoming 28km runners, and this was very sandy and quite draining to run on. Then on to Hyslops Road which was mostly down hill, on to Arthurs Seat for the long climb up, and then the 3km run down in to Dromana. The lead runners were heading back up Arthurs Seat by now and it was great to see the pace they maintain going uphill, amazing. The quads were also given a good work out on the way down. Hit Dromana about 2:59, rang the ceremonial bell, grabbed some protein bars, vegemite sandwich & gels, refilled the water pack, and headed back up Arthurs Seat for a second time. As this was mostly plodding & walking it was a good chance to get some food down. Spent about 4 mins at Dromana, so got going at about 3:04. Once Arthur Seat was done, it was nice to settle in to some rolling trails, then up Hyslops Road, and through some beautiful trails towards the welcoming sight of BushRanger Bay. Once you hear the water you know there isn't long to go. At about the 54k mark there are the dreaded stairs, a steep incline of steps that take some willpower to get up. Then the great run to the finish line. As I was by myself by probably +/- 200m, the welcoming from the crowd is quite amazing and very personal and loud. Ended up finishing in 6:03, couldn't quite bust 6 hrs, but hopefully next year. Absolute must do event. My first ultra, so took away a bit of learning about the importance of correct nutrition and pacing. Organisation, volunteers and course all A++++
Great work mate. Sounds awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome stuff. Well done!

Did you do much trail training beforehand? Only asking, because I've done pretty much zero trail runs, but would love to get into it.

Awesome stuff. Well done!

Did you do much trail training beforehand? Only asking, because I've done pretty much zero trail runs, but would love to get into it.

Thx mate, yes definitely did a fair bit of trail running before, including the actual course itself. Have also run the 28km Two Bays three times before. Trail running is very different to road running, you never get in to a true rhythm, you have to watch where your foot lands on every single step, due to tree roots, rocks etc trying to trip you up, and it is generally either up hill or down hill. The more practice the better.

Well done Jonnoo sounds like an awesome run and a great time had.

You sell the run really well. I'm doing the RCR 21.5km next month (without adequate prep) and look forward to it as well as Wonderland again in August and perhaps the 28km version of Two Bays next year.

Well done Jonnoo sounds like an awesome run and a great time had.

You sell the run really well. I'm doing the RCR 21.5km next month (without adequate prep) and look forward to it as well as Wonderland again in August and perhaps the 28km version of Two Bays next year.

Nice set of trail runs there MB, will keep an eye out for you at the start of the RCR to say hello! If you can do the RCR ok, then Two Bays 28km won't be an issue for you. Wonderland looks awesome. How was it last year?

Domestically would be the Adelaide Marathon because its my favourite place in the world.
Really want to do the WTF 100miler one day but that is way way down the track.

Internationally probably boston or NY marathons.

Nice set of trail runs there MB, will keep an eye out for you at the start of the RCR to say hello! If you can do the RCR ok, then Two Bays 28km won't be an issue for you. Wonderland looks awesome. How was it last year?

Wonderland was WET.

Yep, wet it was.

Great experience though. It's been the most enjoyable run I've done so far, even in those conditions. Can't wait to get back there.

Entered the Run Melbourne HM today (July 30th). HM PB is 1:36 so I'm hoping to bring that down. Sub 1:35 would be great...get somewhere near 1:30 would be awesome.

I'll tell the wife I've entered another run in about March lol :D

Last edited:
Hernia recovery been nothing short of shithouse. 6 weeks post op & still having trouble with swelling. Have been doing a few easy runs thinking it may help but now resigned to taking a month off to see if that will change things.
Very frustrating.

Hernia recovery been nothing short of shithouse. 6 weeks post op & still having trouble with swelling. Have been doing a few easy runs thinking it may help but now resigned to taking a month off to see if that will change things.
Very frustrating.
That sucks but i guess better off trying to get it right.

Meanwhile in perth its been 35, 37 and 42 degrees the last three days and has ruined my good rhythm that i was getting into :( really cant wait for winter.

In terms of gps watches, I've always been a Garmin man. Currently have the 205, I've thought heaps about upgrading but I just don't need to unless this one carks it. Can't vouch for others, but this one lets me create multi-step interval workouts (I.e 2x90 secs, 4x60 secs, 6x30 secs all with equal recovery) and as soon as I press go it beeps at every interval.

Good to be back in Australia and have some decent running weather again... the tan has come back nice and quick and now I just gotta lose those last 1.5kgs before I look like a runner again!

Thanks heaps
Did you end up getting a watch? Rebel have the forerunner 630 for $299 at the moment which is down from $549 normally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back