Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Mar 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
How far in advance would I need to sign up for Two Bays? Thinking of jumping straight into the 56.

Well you've got about 364 days to prepare. I did my first Two Bays yesterday and could not speak more highly about the event. The organisation, the volunteers, the crowd and the amazing course have instantly made this my favorite event.

I did the 28k in 3h27m, which I was very happy with. Finished still with a bit of gas in the tank much to my surprise.

Also, finally beat home my younger brother in an event by about 8 mins. We ran together until about 20kms but the hills had gotten the better of him and he dropped off. I told him to train on some hills rather than prancing around the tan and Albert park lake but he didn't listen haha.

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
Well you've got about 364 days to prepare. I did my first Two Bays yesterday and could not speak more highly about the event. The organisation, the volunteers, the crowd and the amazing course have instantly made this my favorite event.

I did the 28k in 3h27m, which I was very happy with. Finished still with a bit of gas in the tank much to my surprise.

Also, finally beat home my younger brother in an event by about 8 mins. We ran together until about 20kms but the hills had gotten the better of him and he dropped off. I told him to train on some hills rather than prancing around the tan and Albert park lake but he didn't listen haha.

Cheers. Sounds like a great event.

Just wondering when I'd need to register... sounds like it fillsup pretty quickly.

Cheers. Sounds like a great event.

Just wondering when I'd need to register... sounds like it fillsup pretty quickly.

Best to do it as soon as entries opens, which I think is around July from memory. They have a happy hour special on opening night, I normally get on then. Little bit of motivation knowing you've already entered.

They tend to have a waiting list from about a month out, which is Facebook organised to open to new registrations now and then as people drop out.

Sooo jealous... maybe one day

Entries opened today for 2018 mate, you can enter through the lottery or if you have a qualifier, guaranteed entry. Check out the NYC mara webpage.

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
Entries opened today for 2018 mate, you can enter through the lottery or if you have a qualifier, guaranteed entry. Check out the NYC mara webpage.

Cheers mate. I'll need to run my first mara first... and find the time to take off work... and convince the wife to let me spend the money to go over there...

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
Best to do it as soon as entries opens, which I think is around July from memory. They have a happy hour special on opening night, I normally get on then. Little bit of motivation knowing you've already entered.

They tend to have a waiting list from about a month out, which is Facebook organised to open to new registrations now and then as people drop out.

Cheers, will keep a look out.

What are everyone's racing plans for 2018?

Feb 25: Wangaratta Half Marathon
Mar 11: Treble Breakwall Buster (half marathon, then a 10km, then a 5km all in the one day back to back to back), Port Macquarie
April 15: Canberra Ultra (50km)
May 27: Local half marathon up here in Rockhampton
June 10: Comrades Marathon, 90km from Pietermaritzburg town hall to the soccer stadium in Durban (new finish line made the route a few KMS longer, was the Cricket ground 2 years ago as they go this way every 2nd year)
July 1: Gold Coast Marathon
August 26: Perth City to Surf (either full or half marathon)
Sep 16: Sydney Half Marathon (Blackmore's)
Oct 14: Melbourne Marathon
Oct 28 (pending work arrangements): Auckland Marathon
Nov 18: Point to Pinnacle Hobart

Deciding not to do City2Surf this year, the shorter events don't seem to appeal to me as much and perhaps not doing this may end up helping the Melbourne preparation. I intend to enter the ballot for Tokyo again for next year as well as have another crack at Comrades doing the up run (and should I finish this year with a medal I'll definitely go).

What's everyone up to? Anyone doing Rollercoaster next weekend?

I didn't particularly enjoy my first experience last year in the 21.5k so didn't enter this year..... however I've suddenly inherited an entry off someone who is withdrawing.... so there you have it. Lol.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C

I didn't particularly enjoy my first experience last year in the 21.5k so didn't enter this year..... however I've suddenly inherited an entry off someone who is withdrawing.... so there you have it. Lol.
You've been smashing it lately mate so im sure youll do fine.

Finished my 1st half marathon pushing the pram last weekend. Was good fun apart from having to start right at the very back (which is fair enough) and work my way through the pack. Finished just over 1hr 50min including one pit stop for the little man.

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney

About 1/3 of the way through my program for Canberra full. Ok so far, a few niggles the past week.

Considering entering the Sri Chinmoy Yarra Trail half next weekend and seeing how I go sticking to my intended marathon pace. Just worried I might cop an unnecessay injury.

Aussie Joe

Premiership Player
May 5, 2006
San Francisco, CA, USA
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SF Giants, Everton
Fellow Strava junkie here. I have only been running for 2.5 years now after a life of laziness. I’m well and truly addicted to running now. I have settled on half marathons. Due to busy travel and work schedule I can dedicate time I need for this distance. Another factor is I can run a half marathon on Sunday and hit my morning run on Monday morning, business as usual. I don’t do well emotionally if I do not run every day .

My “big” race this year will be the Double Dipsea here in the Bay Area. It’s 22kms with a 1,370 elevation gain. It’s all trail with steps included.

I have a race every month planned out. I will run any race greater than 12km that’s in San Francisco.

How's everyone doing? What runs have you just done, or have coming up?

I know Jonnoo just had a great experience at Boston and poor TheWhiteRhino copped himself a injury doing Canberra. (Hopefully I've remembered the right Usernames in conjunction with the Strava runners lol). What's happening with everyone else?

How about that London mara pace last night.... bloody insane.

Aussie Joe

Premiership Player
May 5, 2006
San Francisco, CA, USA
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SF Giants, Everton
Mo is a beast!!

On the opposite end of the running scale :) I did Presidio 10 mile race in SF today. Used it as a bit of a test race. I hit hills way faster pace than i should have which were all in the first 2 miles and then tried to keep a decent pace. Dropped off in last 1.5 miles. Just missed PB. But good run.

Nice Aussie Joe

I imagine it's a fairly hilly place to run in general over there.

Yeah how good is that result for Farah? 2.06 mara - wow huge. And Kipchoge is just a legend.

I have the 13.5km Puffing Billy run against the train in the Dandenongs this Sunday. Never done that before so looking forward to it.

Beyond that I have Wonderland 20km trail run in August and just entered the Melbourne Marathon last week (October). Will be my second mara after doing Melbourne in 2016. Hoping I can make a considerable improvement.

Did the 20km Skyrun at Bright at last week's Buffalo Stampede. That was an eye opener. Love the trails but my knees don't manage the steep and slippery descents well at all. Outside of Wonderland I think I'll concentrate on road running for a bit to give the knees a break.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Struggling at the moment. Studying full time and working full time plus being a dad leaves parkrun every week as my only chance to run :(
Hoping to do a 6 hour race in august and then i have an event in october where we attempt to run all 22 perth parkruns in 36 hours :eek:

Struggling at the moment. Studying full time and working full time plus being a dad leaves parkrun every week as my only chance to run :(
Hoping to do a 6 hour race in august and then i have an event in october where we attempt to run all 22 perth parkruns in 36 hours :eek:

What the actual * lol

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
What the actual **** lol
Hahaha yeah a little crazy I know. They did it last year when there was only 16 parkruns in perth. But 6 new parkruns have started this year so we've got a few extra kms to do :p

Hahaha yeah a little crazy I know. They did it last year when there was only 16 parkruns in perth. But 6 new parkruns have started this year so we've got a few extra kms to do :p

We have The Longest Run over here. Think the date has been set for sometime in June. I did last year's version - 7 parkruns in one day. First at about 6.30am and the last sometime later in the arvo. Allowance of 1-1.5 hours between each to allow for travel and the slower runners/walkers.

But 22.... bloody hell. Haha. I was really feeling the pinch last year after the 5th.... in and out of cars, driving, trying to not completely seize up and start again.

Aussie Joe

Premiership Player
May 5, 2006
San Francisco, CA, USA
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SF Giants, Everton
Nice Aussie Joe

I imagine it's a fairly hilly place to run in general over there.

Yeah how good is that result for Farah? 2.06 mara - wow huge. And Kipchoge is just a legend.

I have the 13.5km Puffing Billy run against the train in the Dandenongs this Sunday. Never done that before so looking forward to it.

Beyond that I have Wonderland 20km trail run in August and just entered the Melbourne Marathon last week (October). Will be my second mara after doing Melbourne in 2016. Hoping I can make a considerable improvement.

Did the 20km Skyrun at Bright at last week's Buffalo Stampede. That was an eye opener. Love the trails but my knees don't manage the steep and slippery descents well at all. Outside of Wonderland I think I'll concentrate on road running for a bit to give the knees a break.

Yeah, we have some hills here. But usually run routes in Golden Gate Park which is fairly flat. Once a week I will do hill work and go through the streets.

You do need to focus hard on downhills, especially trails. I ran Mt Macedon during my last trip back and it was brutal because the big rains had washed out the trails. I run in very cushioned shoes which do help the jarring of knees on downhills. My current shoe is Hoka One One Speedgoat 2. I have tried so many brands but keep coming back to Hoka.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We have The Longest Run over here. Think the date has been set for sometime in June. I did last year's version - 7 parkruns in one day. First at about 6.30am and the last sometime later in the arvo. Allowance of 1-1.5 hours between each to allow for travel and the slower runners/walkers.

But 22.... bloody hell. Haha. I was really feeling the pinch last year after the 5th.... in and out of cars, driving, trying to not completely seize up and start again.
Yeah i think thats the hard bit. The stop start really gets to you after a while apparently but we'll see how we go haha

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Did Boston the other week. Worst run of my life. Got smashed in the wind and the rain. I don't mind the three indicusually, but combined- was a disaster. Body completely shut down and although I stumbled through to the finish, I collapsed a couple of metres after the line and got wheeled into the medical tent for an hour. Hypothermia caused my body to have multiple seizures at the end of the race. Was absolutely brutal.

Meant to be racing another marathon in Wisconsin next Sunday but I've barely ran since last Monday, so it'll be touch and go at this point.

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
Yeah, Canberra was a disaster for me.

I went in with a few niggles and had barely run in the 3 weeks prior. Anyway, I decided to give my first marathon a crack and it starter off well enough. I went through half way in about 1.26 and was on track for sub 2.55 when my leg started to play up and I came to a grounding halt at the 30k mark. After a day in hospital, a wheel chair through the airport, xrays and MRIs it looks life I have a stress reaction in my right femur. That's the same injury I had in my left leg after Melb half in 2016 when I was kept out for 3 months.

After having such high hopes for 2018, including my first marathon, the injury is a major disappointment and clearly I'll need some further investigations to check bone density etc as I shouldn't be coping these stress related injuries so often.

Anyway, hope everyone else is on track. Sounds like some great events coming up - I'll be there in spirit!

Back