Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Running pet peeve #1 - Campaigner McCampaigner Faces that insist on playing chicken on busy and popular running tracks.
At the risk of being labelled a misogynist I have to add that over the last five years I have lost count of the dozens upon dozens of women I have seen do this vs the TWO blokes.:mad:

Apart from this another great morning for a long run, glad I went today and not yesterday.

Running pet peeve #1 - Campaigner McCampaigner Faces that insist on playing chicken on busy and popular running tracks.
At the risk of being labelled a misogynist I have to add that over the last five years I have lost count of the dozens upon dozens of women I have seen do this vs the TWO blokes.:mad:

Apart from this another great morning for a long run, glad I went today and not yesterday.
I went yesterday morning... An out and back along the Bellarine Rail Trail in Leopold.. The back was like running into a brick wall with the bloody wind :(

I went yesterday morning... An out and back along the Bellarine Rail Trail in Leopold.. The back was like running into a brick wall with the bloody wind :(
Nothing shatters you confidence like a strong headwind! I will always try to plan my run to have the tailwind on the return, but sometimes mother nature is a bitch and swings it around on you and you cop the double :D

One question... shoes... do you all rotate or have multiple going at once and why?

Tend to rotate 2 pairs at a time saving one for races where necessary. Probably need to stop wearing them for non-running days I suppose to perhaps extend life. These days I tend to go through a pair which are the race shoes from January-April, another which are usually the Comrades race shoe whose life pretty much ends after Gold Coast, then a third which is the race pair from Perth's City to Surf (late August) to Melbourne and beyond if they're still in decent condition. That said I've had to invest in a new pair having run 2 marathons (Perth CtoS and Melbourne) in the one pair and not wanting to go to Singapore with basically well used threads that I can use as a base training shoe for a while. Truth be told I'm not a guy who meticulously logs kilometres on specific shoes.

BTW, there's still spots for South Africa next year available through Running Fit (there are 139 Australians in the 26000 strong field) if you want to go, but planning the travel may have hit a slight curve given South African Airways is having some more issues than normal, but that's another story.

Hi all,

I finally ticked off my first marathon on the weekend in the Run for the Young Marathon, managing a sub 3-hour and a 2nd place. Its been almost 20 years in the making after numerous injuries, so it feels great!

I'm now starting to think about my 2020 race schedule and need some ideas. I'm looking to get into the trails next year and get out there to experience as many new events as I can, particularly in the first half of the year, with an eye on the Puffing Billy fun run (which I've wanted to do for years) and the Surf Coast Century in September. I haven't done any trail racing before, but do enjoy doing some training off road as much as possible.

Can anyone provide any input/reccommendations on the following events:

Baw Baw Trail Run Festival
Duncans Run
Buffalo Stampede
Run the Rock
Run the Gap
Wonderland
Trail running series

Any other trail races you can suggest for a relative newbie?

Thanks heaps

Brilliant, congrats on the sub 3, that is awesome. I reckon the best trail run for a relative newbie is Two Bays in January... 28 and 56k options. Haven't done any of those you've mentioned, but Surf Coast Century is absolutely sensational.

Had my eye on doing the Puffing Billy/Wings for Life double, but Wings has been moved to Perth next year (still with the car importantly rather than an app). With Cairns also later next year (same date as Sydney) and no word on the St.Lucia UQ Twilight Run (run same date this year as Cairns and a half at Robina, no word on socials since 2019 results were posted) it leaves a hole in the Comrades campaign. On the credit side, the local Rocky River Run reverts back to the late May timeslot, although I'm also considering Noosa in the same weekend with a 31.6km option tempting and work will determine that path, and I may even add the Darwin City to Surf (12km) en route to South Africa if the timing is what I think it is.

I'll need to finalise a plan soon, starting with whether to do half or full at Wangaratta, tended to stick to half as it was early stages in the tilt but considering doing full, then the treble at Port Macquarie, then 50km at Canberra which is also the national title run a week before Easter. Still would also like to find a marathon between the week after Easter and mid May if possible.

Puffing Billy is great fun. 13kms on mainly road (if I recall correctly) so extremely runnable and whilst a hilly run still allows you to open up and hit a good pace. Would definitely be on my list again if the body was up to it.

Agree with Jonnoo about Two Bays (even though I haven't been the same since TB 2018 lol.... ). Having done Wonderland 20 x 2 and 36 x 1, Rollercoaster 21 x 2 and Two Bays 28 x 2, I can say with surety that TB is the most runnable of the lot. It is a lot of fun and not so technical that it's daunting for a new trail runner. I love both Two Bays and Wonderland and body permitting will do both as often as I can. Rollercoaster not so much.

Have also done the Buffalo Stampede 20km. That's a definite no no for a first time trail haha. I'm still having nightmares.

Purrfect Pussies might be able to give you a better idea on Run the Gap. Not sure how similar the course is to Wonderland.

Was registered for Duncans prior to injury this year but people I know really enjoy it.

Good luck choosing. So many great options.

And well done on your sub 3. That was awesome.

Singapore turned into a bit of a disaster, suffering from signs of heat stroke at 8PM isn't much fun, nor is getting doused with 12 x 600mL bottles of water to cool you down on the sidewalk, nor is basically falling asleep whilst walking (the signs of which why the TAC often recommend a 15 minute power nap if you're feeling tired whilst driving) a number of kilometres later upon somewhat recovering, nor for that matter is waiting 2 hours for a taxi before realising downloading the taxi app as opposed to Grab was the better option (U2 playing that night also may have contributed). Still I may or may not have another crack should the timing allows.

In the process of thinking about what I'll be entering next year. Prior to Comrades (whose entries have now been exhausted but adding the name to the Substitution list can still be done if you're thinking of joining, pending their stance on Russian Athletes there may be some spots open up in the Substitution Period next year)
- Canberra Ultra will be a lock, it's also the national 50km road title so I'll get some sort of national ranking!
- Wings for Life in Perth almost certain,
- the Treble Breakwall Buster in Port Macquarie will have an entry lodged next week.
- Wangaratta pending work is almost certain, but whether I do the half or full is NOT.
- Local Rocky River Run going back to a May date means it will likely be the last substantial run before departure to South Africa
- Perhaps a run in Noosa in Mid May is a go pending a Friday evening (work dependent), there's a 31.6km option that sounds ideal as a lead in rather than the full marathon.

Post Comrades
- Gold Coast a probability, again half or full the question
- Looking for 4 marathons in the space of about 11 weeks. Perth City to Surf on 30 August, either Cairns or Sydney Marathon on 20 September, Melbourne Marathon on 4 October (earlier time because of ICC T20), and Auckland on 1 November.

I'm well below the level of you guys, but still really happy with how I'm going at the moment.

Found a local bloke who is a trainer and coach and also does weekly online plans and it's probably just a cookie cutter plan with training in certain heart rates but I'm really enjoying it, a month in I'm doing more Ks than I've ever done, body is free off niggles and feeling great, dropped about 4kg and if you take notice of the Garmin VO2 number I've gone from 47/48 to 51...after only getting to a max of 48 the previous year and no higher.

Training for the Bellarine Sunset Run half in Feb, then the GOR half in May and the Melbourne Marathon in October which all going well will be my first marathon.
May do some other stuff like Run Melbourne etc as well but the Mrs is about to go back to work from Mat leave so will depend on her roster as to what will work and what won't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How often do you guys have rest days, I've been running most nights around 4-6km, but haven't really felt the need to rest, even though i know i probably should

I try to rest one day a week, but it can vary. If I'm sore or have niggles I'll rest more, if I'm feeling OK and in heavy training can go weeks without resting. Your body will tell you when it needs a rest.

How often do you guys have rest days

At least 2 days per week, when they happen largely depend on work shifts. For example next week I'm likely to rest on Monday and Thursday, Monday because of shift starting later and Thursday so I can do a 3 day bloc on Friday-Saturday-Sunday.

How do you know you just have shin splints vs a stress fracture?

I took 4 months off and pain is back within a month of running again. Podiatrist just tried to sell their 'custom orthotics' so I take that advice with a grain of salt when it turns into a sales pitch.

I took 4 months off and pain is back within a month of running again. Podiatrist just tried to sell their 'custom orthotics' so I take that advice with a grain of salt when it turns into a sales pitch.
find a clinic that specializes in sports medicine.

edit: shouldn't a stress fracture have well and truly healed in 4 months?

Good point re the healing but I didn't think shin splints came back so soon either
even more reason to go see a sports doc. your average GP/pod/physio often don't have the knowledge or experience to deal with training injuries properly.

Last edited:

I got shin splints when i was 25, strapping my feet or wearing special shoes didn't work.

It was either get surgery or rest until it disappeared.

I think it took about 2 years to be able to run without any pain.

I got shin splints when i was 25, strapping my feet or wearing special shoes didn't work.

It was either get surgery or rest until it disappeared.

I think it took about 2 years to be able to run without any pain.
Yeah strapping didn't work for me Monday. Podiatrist said stretching my calves, achilles & hammies more may do the trick as they're very tight.

They've always been tight though (I've never got near touching my toes with straight legs) so not sure why it's started this late in life.

2 years is ridiculous, at least it's fixed now but has to be quicker fixes than this

Yeah strapping didn't work for me Monday. Podiatrist said stretching my calves, achilles & hammies more may do the trick as they're very tight.

They've always been tight though (I've never got near touching my toes with straight legs) so not sure why it's started this late in life.

2 years is ridiculous, at least it's fixed now but has to be quicker fixes than this

This was at the time of strict water restrictions and a few hot summers in a row.

The were not to many sporting grounds in good condition, A few other people I knew at the time had shin and leg issues as well.

I was working a fairly physical job at the time so i'm sure that slowed down the healing process a fair bit.

Just signed up for Duncans Run (21k) as my first race of the year... and first proper trail race ever. Can't wait. Need to organise my mandatory gear now.

Anyone done it before who can provide some insight?

Cheers

Just signed up for Duncans Run (21k) as my first race of the year... and first proper trail race ever. Can't wait. Need to organise my mandatory gear now.

Anyone done it before who can provide some insight?

Cheers

Good stuff. Was in for the 50 last year before injury withdrew me.

Haven't done the run but Tarra Bulga is gorgeous. Best insight I can give is don't expect the kilometre markers to mean the same as a road race. I know the 50 went something like 54 or 56 last year.

Enjoy. Look forward to hearing the reports. There's always plenty from our running group down there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back