Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Good stuff. Was in for the 50 last year before injury withdrew me.

Haven't done the run but Tarra Bulga is gorgeous. Best insight I can give is don't expect the kilometre markers to mean the same as a road race. I know the 50 went something like 54 or 56 last year.

Enjoy. Look forward to hearing the reports. There's always plenty from our running group down there.

Cheers, thanks mate. I'll let you know how I go

Not happy, Rollercoaster Run, MS 1/2 Marathon and Run for the Kids all cancelled.
No refunds for MS or Rollercoaster. Rollercoaster run not on until April 18, very early call.
I know this can be unavoidable, but surely a discount or refund should be offered if the events are cancelled by the organisers?

I guess now I’m quasi ‘back on the roads’ I should start posting again.

It’s been a bit of a journey. Got to august last year, motivation was fairly low, slow Achilles, and then at the end of the month I lost a family members to MND

I came back to Australia for the funeral, bought a bike, and started logging the kms. Loved the freedom of being out on the bike. Could see the Hamburg countryside, go real fast, have some good lads time on a Sunday morning

Then in October came daughter #2. All of a sudden, the time dried up, as did the sunlight hours, and, for the first time in my life, went vier 70kg

So I decided on Christmas Day to start running again. It. Felt. s**t. Never stop training. That’s my one piece of advice.

10 or so weeks later and I’m still just ticking around the 40-50km/week mark, and finally feeling fit enough to get a good hour out at around 4.15 pace and hold a good chat. Listening to a lot of the Inside Running Podcast to get me through. I’ve been back in Australia on parental leave for the last month, and the sun and warmth has really helped get some consistency going.

What’s next? Who knows. The euro summer is coming and I can’t see school going back in Germany for a while. Perhaps some more good training time. I might try and get on the track if I can get fit enough - otherwise perhaps an autumn half marathon. But so far, I’m enjoying running again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runs everywhere getting cancelled.. i am genuinely fearing if we have to go into lockdown, mostly for the fact that I won't be able to get out and run and clear my head when we probably need it most.
Gradually chugging along here though, this year have dropped my 5k pb to 22.49 from 23.54, my 10k PB to 49.22 from 50.54.. and i felt like s**t in the 10k and energy wasn't great so I wouldn't mind having another crack at that.
Did a half marathon and beat my time from last year by 5 mins but was still 5 mins off my PB, was deadset into a massive head wind for the entire first half though and it absolutely cooked me :(

Otherwise feel great though, went for an easy jog the other day and did 17k averaging 5.30 a km.. so would have lowered my half PB without pushing if i had kept going a few more km.. so that is good to get back the confidence i had dropped with my last battling half...

still planning to do the full in Melbourne should the world be somewhat normal again by then

Well I've just completed my longest mileage week and longest individual run since Two Bays 2019. Been a long 14 months or so.... periods of rest, periods of rehab and lots of S&C. This year has seen me manage the pain a lot better and gradually increase the weekly mileage. I'm on target this month to get to 200km for the month and have my biggest month since injury.... However despite all that I am still restricted. I can't stride out fully, have to be ultra careful any run on how I land my foot and have trouble quickly changing direction and getting over any obstacles which means the trails are a no no. The knee locks up to the point I'm basically dragging my foot and couldn't lift it over a stick on the ground.

Despite managing to run the easy, flat road miles better, the consensus between my physio and surgeon is that the passive approach has probably taken me as far as I'll go and to get something like a full range of movement back and a chance to return to longer distances and faster speeds, that an arthroscopy is now necessary.

So next week we go in and get that done and go back to the drawing board a bit I guess in terms of starting back with some rehab, S&C etc... Fingers crossed when all said and done that it makes a noticeable difference. Can't express enough how much I've missed the group runs, the sessions, the events and so on.

That's if the surgery isn't cancelled in the current climate. I suspect non-essential elective surgery is going to be put on hold at some point.

1584506988522.png
1584507003125.png

with the new lock down measures coming am i still allowed to go out for a run? with appropriate distancing of course.
pretty sure the answer is yes but it hasnt been specifically addressed as far as i can tell.

Yeah.... I think so. I mean people can walk the dog etc can't they? Keep your distance in (small) group runs or just run solo. Surely physical exercise if done solo is encouraged. Mental health should be a huge priority also at this point.

Got the call from the hospital earlier. Expected knee surgery was being cancelled for Tuesday but still going "at this stage". I was just given the COVID questionnaire over the phone to get the all clear to come in.

with the new lock down measures coming am i still allowed to go out for a run? with appropriate distancing of course.
pretty sure the answer is yes but it hasnt been specifically addressed as far as i can tell.

Trail running ftw.
Jump in the car and go find an off road trail, fresh air and no one around.
Works for me

I do most of my running at 6am before the sun rises.. So i plan on doing that.

If it gets worse and stricter and we can't do that.. Well i have an exercise bike, not the preferred option but better than nothing

Well I've just completed my longest mileage week and longest individual run since Two Bays 2019. Been a long 14 months or so.... periods of rest, periods of rehab and lots of S&C. This year has seen me manage the pain a lot better and gradually increase the weekly mileage. I'm on target this month to get to 200km for the month and have my biggest month since injury.... However despite all that I am still restricted. I can't stride out fully, have to be ultra careful any run on how I land my foot and have trouble quickly changing direction and getting over any obstacles which means the trails are a no no. The knee locks up to the point I'm basically dragging my foot and couldn't lift it over a stick on the ground.

Just saw this mate, wow, what a roller coaster ride you're having. I thought you had achilles issues, but obviously it's the knee. Did you have surgery? How did it go? what is the plan from here on?

Just saw this mate, wow, what a roller coaster ride you're having. I thought you had achilles issues, but obviously it's the knee. Did you have surgery? How did it go? what is the plan from here on?

Gday mate - yeah had the surgery 6 days later (March 24). Had the surgeon follow up last week (April 8).

Cleaned up the meniscus but his prognosis going forward wasn't great. Basically said don't run which pissed me off enormously as he knew pre-surgery the only reason I had it done was to get back to running. He'd said that it would free up my movement range heaps and that I'd just have to deal with the arthritis. If he'd said pre-surgery his advice would still be to not run I doubt I'd have had it done (that's assuming I was going to take the advice and not run). I can manage fine day to day.

Anyway he gave me the stage 3-4 arthritis speech and chat about potential bone realignment surgery and knee replacements later on etc etc....

Bit over 3 weeks post surgery now and have done all the rehab. Not really sure if I can feel any noticeable improvement from the meniscectomy or if it's too early to tell if there's going to be improvement.

Been working with Dane Verwey (running physio) for nearly a year and we had a zoom consult Good Friday and have built a plan for the next 4 weeks. The plan is obviously still to run. Just a slowly slowly approach for the next period of time I guess while I walk/exercise bike in conjunction with S&C program. Then at some point hopefully feel some improvement and we start with the walk/jog routine and take it from there.

I've been very up and down emotionally over past few weeks.... between positive, let's work hard type thoughts... and * it just give it up type thoughts.

Gday mate - yeah had the surgery 6 days later (March 24). Had the surgeon follow up last week (April 8).

I've been very up and down emotionally over past few weeks.... between positive, let's work hard type thoughts... and fu** it just give it up type thoughts.

Hopefully Dane can get you up and going again. Sounds like you are doing all the right things and giving it your best shot, well done on that.
Stay positive mate and best of luck.

Good news on the achilles anyway.. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How are we all going with the weird old world at the moment pals? At least we can get out and run still, genuinely think it is keeping me sane!

2 things.. shoe geeks out there.. what are you rolling round in? And any one have the New Balance 1080 v 10.. the grey/black ones with the red heels? I am currently trying to use some self control but current sales I can get a pair 60 bucks off so may not hold out much longer.. stop me or enable me please!!

Secondly.. had a crack at a half mara on the weekend just gone doing the Great Ocean Road Virtual run, absolutely stoked to knock almost 12 mins off my best time getting it done in 1hr 47... a 5min per Km Half may actually be achievable for me which i never thought! (i did a long out and back run as well, so not loops that are favorable to the GPS watch)

Haha Willo_ I'll never say no to shoes. Buying running shoes is a weakness. BUY BUY BUY.

In answer though, I don't have a pair of those. I have a v7 pair. Not my favourite but not the worst either. In general I really like New Balance though. Have divided most of my shoes between NB and Mizuno although have added Nike Pegasus 36 and Brooks Ghosts over past 6-12 months (2 pairs in a year shows how little I've been running - it's normally be a pair a month :p). Like both, but the Brooks in particular were a great surprise. Really comfortable.

Re: my running -> 8 weeks post surgery now. Have done a mountain of walking, a mountain of S&C and physio and a bit of exercise bike. Tonight after work I'll be out for one of my first sessions as next step in plan. Two weeks of 6 x 4 min walk-1 min jog (3 times per week). If going well, will up that to 6 x 3/2 the 2 weeks after that.

Going very slowly slowly and doing a lot of work on strength and balance and now working in some drills and concentrating on light and soft feet.

Hey all.
I'm looking to get some new running shoes. I am in runners all day for my job, so as you can expect I wear through them fairly quickly, so I'm looking to buy another pair just for running.
Any recommendations for runners that would be used purely for running?
Thanks!

How are we all going with the weird old world at the moment pals? At least we can get out and run still, genuinely think it is keeping me sane!

2 things.. shoe geeks out there.. what are you rolling round in? And any one have the New Balance 1080 v 10.. the grey/black ones with the red heels? I am currently trying to use some self control but current sales I can get a pair 60 bucks off so may not hold out much longer.. stop me or enable me please!!

Secondly.. had a crack at a half mara on the weekend just gone doing the Great Ocean Road Virtual run, absolutely stoked to knock almost 12 mins off my best time getting it done in 1hr 47... a 5min per Km Half may actually be achievable for me which i never thought! (i did a long out and back run as well, so not loops that are favorable to the GPS watch)

Right, one thing this lockdown has done is cost me dearly.
On impulse I bought a Garmin 645 a few weeks ago, not long after some Hoka Torrent trail runners and a pair of Saucony Kinvara 11 which were on sale on runningwarehouse.com.au. 2XU also had compression tights and calf sleeves. I now have 4 pair of road shoes and 4 pair of trail shoes. Who knows what will happen when the Nike store gets the AlphaFly or VaporFly in stock.
My whole week at work consists of looking forward to the weekend and running 15k of trails on both Saturday and Sunday.

On impulse I bought a Garmin 645 a few weeks ago, not long after some Hoka Torrent trail runners and a pair of Saucony Kinvara 11 which were on sale on runningwarehouse.com.au. 2XU also had compression tights and calf sleeves. I now have 4 pair of road shoes and 4 pair of trail shoes. Who knows what will happen when the Nike store gets the AlphaFly or VaporFly in stock.
My whole week at work consists of looking forward to the weekend and running 15k of trails on both Saturday and Sunday.
Any idea when the Alphaflys are expected to be released here in Australia?

Any idea when the Alphaflys are expected to be released here in Australia?

I'm thinking mid June which coincides with the traditional American summer release. There is not that much of an urgency now due the postponement of the Olympics. Nike had to make them available at least 3 months prior so that there was no unfair advantage to their athketes.

Hey all.
I'm looking to get some new running shoes. I am in runners all day for my job, so as you can expect I wear through them fairly quickly, so I'm looking to buy another pair just for running.
Any recommendations for runners that would be used purely for running?
Thanks!
its hard to say without knowing what your training is like and what you expect/need from the shoe.
go to your local running store, somewhere like The Running Company or Active Feet (not Athlete's Foot) and talk to the people there.

I added strides in twice a week for the first time ever.
I pinged my hammie for the first time ever. :(
it's nothing major. I can walk on it comfortably, can jog on it with minor discomfort (not sure for how long though), can't run on it.

...and the answer to the question "do I really need these shoes?" is always yes.
I haven't run in the 1080v10 but all the reviews I've seen are extremely positive.

I am spending a lot of my day in between working and looking up Garmin prices and Shoes!!
Also want to get a forerunner as my Garmin Vivoactive 3 just isn't what i need anymore... And the touch screen is s**t, had a programmed run in Thursday and the rain ****ed it up on me and ended my run then I couldn't get it back (probably could have but I wasn't stopping in the rain to fiddle around and work it out)
Thinking the forerunner 245 at this stage.. But doing well to keep my powder dry and hopefully EOFY sales will be kind!

These shoes literally got me back running pain free after two years of not being able to run. Buy them even if they’re not on special. Best shoes I’ve used period

These shoes literally got me back running pain free after two years of not being able to run. Buy them even if they’re not on special. Best shoes I’ve used period

Well that has convinced me... Plus found a code that got me 75 bucks off at New Balance.. So for $175 instead of $250...sold!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back