Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

What do you guys listen to as you run? I used to put a playlist on, but recently I have gone without and leave the phone at home. Seem to be enjoying it more actually.
Podcasts for me, used to listen to music but i just wasn't really listening, it was just noise.
I am pretty bad, i listen to the same shows on the same days each week haha.. So my Tuesday and Thursday runs I listen to the Inside Running Podcast and their Road to Nowhere Show, weekend long run i listen to the Scrubs podcast and then a Ringer one or Geelong Cats one depending on just how long i have in my plan to be out for

What do you guys listen to as you run? I used to put a playlist on, but recently I have gone without and leave the phone at home. Seem to be enjoying it more actually.
I never run with music. Just myself and my thoughts. I love it

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
i can't run with headphones. i like to be able to hear what's going on around me, mostly for safety reasons.
sure i can turn it down low enough so i can still hear outside noises but then i'm not really paying attention to the music/podcast and i'm not 100% paying attention to the world around me either...it's the worst of both worlds.
plus i hate carrying a phone and i'm not prepared to wear one of those armbands.

i can't run with headphones. i like to be able to hear what's going on around me, mostly for safety reasons.
sure i can turn it down low enough so i can still hear outside noises but then i'm not really paying attention to the music/podcast and i'm not 100% paying attention to the world around me either...it's the worst of both worlds.
plus i hate carrying a phone and i'm not prepared to wear one of those armbands.
i hate the sound of me running haha, so the headphones are a must have for me... I have really good awareness of what is around me though so the headphones don't bother me.
The arm bands absolutely suck, i have one of those flip belts and it is perfect, the phone slots in and sits basically in the lowest small of my back and i don't even notice it.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Just got back to comfortable 60km weeks and bang. Virus knocked me out for almost two. (Not corona - one of those bloody kindergarten sicknesses that never go away)

Might have been a good reset for the body - will try to get back up to volume in the next week and a half. Plan is to they and get in race shape by September for a 16km flat rail race around the airport here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Question from me, anyone have a preference between the Apple Watch (series 5) and a Garmin for running?

I've had an Apple Watch since initial release and upgraded every year but I'm told there's no comparison. Someone save me the coin and tell me it's not worth the upgrade.

I just changed back from Apple Watch to Garmin 245 music. I originally changed from a long time Garmin user to the Apple Watch so I could listen to podcasts and have a smart watch. But the training modes are so s**t. You can’t program any form of intervals and the gps is only passable.

245 music is almost the perfect watch. Sure, there’s way less widgets than the Apple Watch. But it’s got a better sleep tracker, a better HRM, still plays music and podcasts via Spotify, can do any sort of workout, customisable watch faces. If you need integrated card payments the 645 is better but I’m not a fan of the silver bezel - I find the profile of the 245 is much more sympathetic to look at

Sell your Apple Watch and grab a 245 music or 645 music and never look back

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Podcasts for me, used to listen to music but i just wasn't really listening, it was just noise.
I am pretty bad, i listen to the same shows on the same days each week haha.. So my Tuesday and Thursday runs I listen to the Inside Running Podcast and their Road to Nowhere Show, weekend long run i listen to the Scrubs podcast and then a Ringer one or Geelong Cats one depending on just how long i have in my plan to be out for

IRP is great. I used to train with Crokes in Sydney - he’s done well off the back of that. Also would always order shoes from Moose online at The Running Company Ballarat. Having a shop owner who actually gets running and loves good looking gear is so important - they have less wall fillers and just good stuff

I also listen to a German football podcast each week, as well as Duff and Quarters in AFL season. Used to listen to a lot of How I Built That with Guy Raz but after 50 episodes everyone’s story gets a bit too samey

The Juice media podcast is also good if you like to hear field experts discuss government decisions on anything from energy policy to healthcare and asylum seekers.

If you’re a Celtics fan - the Locked On Celtics podcast

If you’re into hearing about people in the restaurant industry having a light hearted chat about how they got started - check my mates pod out here

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
I just changed back from Apple Watch to Garmin 245 music. I originally changed from a long time Garmin user to the Apple Watch so I could listen to podcasts and have a smart watch. But the training modes are so s**t. You can’t program any form of intervals and the gps is only passable.

245 music is almost the perfect watch. Sure, there’s way less widgets than the Apple Watch. But it’s got a better sleep tracker, a better HRM, still plays music and podcasts via Spotify, can do any sort of workout, customisable watch faces. If you need integrated card payments the 645 is better but I’m not a fan of the silver bezel - I find the profile of the 245 is much more sympathetic to look at

Thanks mate, you’ve convinced me. I’ll keep my Apple Watch as my day to day option but any time I go out for a run I’ll swap it out.

Exactly the reason I need it is to program my intervals, tempos, etc. With the apple watch there’s no way of doing this so looking forward to that function.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood

I've got the 645 music but in Black Slate, looks great and does absolutely everything I want so I never take my phone on runs with me. Go out for a 2hr run with 100% battery whilst using podcasts or Spotify as well as Garmin Connect. Come back and it's only dropped to around 94% battery life

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
Hi all,

Glad to hear everyone has been still getting out in iso. MinerBoy - I've obviously been following your journey for a while. Really hope you get back to some consistent running. I can just tell how much you love it and I completely understand what it's like to have that gap in your life.

After many years of injuries, I'm probably the healthiest (although not necessarily the quickest) I've been ever. 14 months of largely injury-free consistent running. I finally knocked off the full marathon last year and did my own 50k at the start of iso. Really enjoying just getting out there without any fixed program.

Now I've decided to take the plunge. I just signed up for the 102k Tarawera Ultra in NZ in February. I've followed the event for a few years. Apart from drawing a lot of the best ultra runners in the world, the scenery and culture of the event look amazing. I know there will be a lot of planning and preparation involved, but I already can't wait.

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
Anyone looking for a new watch - I've read and heard a lot of great things about the Coros range of watches. Battery life and GPS tech is (apparently) 2nd to none.

I have a Garmin 630 which I really like, but my next watch will be a Coros for sure.

Podcast wise, my go-tos are:
- No Dunks (formerly The Starters and The Basketball Jones) - absolute must for NBA fans. I've been listening for 10 years now and it's unrivalled IMO
- IRP - agree with others
- The Rewatchables - great to relive some classic movie will Bill Simmons and his buddies
- Training for Ultra - another great running podcast

TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
i hate the sound of me running haha, so the headphones are a must have for me... I have really good awareness of what is around me though so the headphones don't bother me.
The arm bands absolutely suck, i have one of those flip belts and it is perfect, the phone slots in and sits basically in the lowest small of my back and i don't even notice it.

I'd highly recommend the Naked Running Band to store your phone and other bits and pieces whilst running. You can even fit a soft water bottle and nutrition if you like.

It probably be the best piece of gear I've ever bought.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Thanks mate, you’ve convinced me. I’ll keep my Apple Watch as my day to day option but any time I go out for a run I’ll swap it out.

Exactly the reason I need it is to program my intervals, tempos, etc. With the apple watch there’s no way of doing this so looking forward to that function.

Depending on how much you rely on your Apple Watch for work - you could easily do away with it all together and just use the 245/645 as your daily. You’ll get a few days battery out for it and the health metrics are really good on the Garmin (resting HR, stress, blood oxygen saturation, body battery)

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depending on how much you rely on your Apple Watch for work - you could easily do away with it all together and just use the 245/645 as your daily. You’ll get a few days battery out for it and the health metrics are really good on the Garmin (resting HR, stress, blood oxygen saturation, body battery)

Yep, I bailed completely on my Apple watch and gave it to my son. Pretty much the only thing the Garmin doesn't do is answer calls, which I never did via the Apple watch anyway

Depends on the day, the time of day and what type of run it is. For example if it's a late afternoon run on a weekday usually it's Classic Rock, but on the weekends it's the footy (either League or Rules). If it's a group training run I won't have the ears in, but I will listen to local radio occasionally during Parkrun. Have only put the earphones in during a race twice, both for half marathons that clashed with AFL preliminary finals in 2016 and 2018.

Tomorrow if things were normal I would be en-route to Durban for another tilt at getting off the mark in terms of Comrades finishes, but now the best I can do is doing the virtual race and I've decided the 45km option was most viable of the 5 distances on offer (5, 10, 21.1 and 90 were the others, 144 Australian's are entered across the board out of the 17000 plus already entered). Being an international entry my 2020 entry is deferred until next year, so I've already saved a few hundred dollars for the 100th anniversary of the first race (94th running of the race from memory).

The next scheduled race still active is in Canberra in August which was pushed back from April, still haven't heard any indication whether this is going to still be a go or not. With Perth's City to Surf not being run (premature call made), Cairns is also a wait and see scenario but on the same day there's still Sydney which is pressing ahead with their plans to run. At this stage Melbourne is still a possibility and getting stronger to go ahead by the week (although far from a done deal) but the rescheduled footy season up here has now created a clash with the scheduled local GF on the same weekend. A rescheduled City2Surf in October about a fortnight post Melbourne is now a possibility but it won't be something I'll be seeking time off work for. Auckland on November 1 is something I'm also keen to do given it's more likely than not that I'll be able to travel to NZ by then. There's also a 50km event on the Gold Coast on December 6 if things work out well (Singapore on the same day is probably too hard basket even if clearance to travel is obtained due to work commitments).

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Depends on the day, the time of day and what type of run it is. For example if it's a late afternoon run on a weekday usually it's Classic Rock, but on the weekends it's the footy (either League or Rules). If it's a group training run I won't have the ears in, but I will listen to local radio occasionally during Parkrun. Have only put the earphones in during a race twice, both for half marathons that clashed with AFL preliminary finals in 2016 and 2018.

Tomorrow if things were normal I would be en-route to Durban for another tilt at getting off the mark in terms of Comrades finishes, but now the best I can do is doing the virtual race and I've decided the 45km option was most viable of the 5 distances on offer (5, 10, 21.1 and 90 were the others, 144 Australian's are entered across the board out of the 17000 plus already entered). Being an international entry my 2020 entry is deferred until next year, so I've already saved a few hundred dollars for the 100th anniversary of the first race (94th running of the race from memory).

The next scheduled race still active is in Canberra in August which was pushed back from April, still haven't heard any indication whether this is going to still be a go or not. With Perth's City to Surf not being run (premature call made), Cairns is also a wait and see scenario but on the same day there's still Sydney which is pressing ahead with their plans to run. At this stage Melbourne is still a possibility and getting stronger to go ahead by the week (although far from a done deal) but the rescheduled footy season up here has now created a clash with the scheduled local GF on the same weekend. A rescheduled City2Surf in October about a fortnight post Melbourne is now a possibility but it won't be something I'll be seeking time off work for. Auckland on November 1 is something I'm also keen to do given it's more likely than not that I'll be able to travel to NZ by then. There's also a 50km event on the Gold Coast on December 6 if things work out well (Singapore on the same day is probably too hard basket even if clearance to travel is obtained due to work commitments).

Jesus mate, you're a beast.
I just had a read through your blog, your travel expenses must run into the thousands!
Our physical stats are almost identical but I'm 185cm and have an extra 14 years of life experience (old) and haven't done anywhere near the amount of runs you have though.
What shoes do you run in and how many in your rotation?

Jesus mate, you're a beast.
I just had a read through your blog, your travel expenses must run into the thousands!
Our physical stats are almost identical but I'm 185cm and have an extra 14 years of life experience (old) and haven't done anywhere near the amount of runs you have though.
What shoes do you run in and how many in your rotation?

Travel Expenses: As a guide the South African trips over the years have set me back anywhere between $1150 (MEL-PER-JNB-DBN return) and $2200 (MEL-SIN-JNB-DBN to, DBN-CPT-JNB-SIN-ADL back). Last year would have been from memory at least $2000 considering my flights were OOL-ADL-PER (overnight stay in Perth)/PER-JNB-CPT (2 night stay in Cape)/CPT-DBN (6 nights in Durban, big run on the Sunday which incorporated nights 4-5)/DBN-JNB-PER-MEL (2 nights in Melbourne)/MEL-BNE-ROK. Next year I may look for something similar to this year but may need extra cash in the current climate to do this, plan was BNE-SYD-ABH-JNB (overnight in JNB)/JNB-DBN (5 nights)/DBN-JNB-NBO-ABH-BNE which without the return flights between Johannesburg and Durban cost a tick over $1200 (closer to $1400-$1500 with the return flight from Jo'burg, $1700 if the return ROK-BNE flights were included).
The Auckland 2018 trip was $850 return paid for by a work bonus and included an overnight stop on the return to BNE (2 nights in AKL). Singapore last year was about $500 for PER-SIN return, then I had to pay for the other transport as I was taking buses down the East Coast ($170 from ROK-BNE overnight, then a similar amount for BNE-SYD overnight before paying about $350 from memory for SYD-PER flight).

Accommodation is the expensive part but is the component that I need to book. For something like Gold Coast (which was cancelled and have gone virtual this year) I basically need to book without paying almost 12 months in advance to get where I need (somewhere close to Broadbeach South where the tram starts). Same applies to the South African trip, where I can book a 6 night stay for around $600 in a secure place close to the beachfront and to the expo/start/buses to transport us to Pietermaritzburg for the start. Singapore itself I was able to book for about $A200 but it was probably not worth as much in reality.

Domestic trips slightly cheaper if I decide to throw in bus or train trips among the journey. For me it can be less expensive taking a tilt train to Brisbane and flying from there or the Gold Coast rather than flying from Rocky. Have also been known to use points to book ROK-BNE or BNE-ROK legs, then collect and drop bags off for the next leg (check in for all flights before boarding the first on the phone).

Shoes: Main pair at the moment are Asics Gel Venture 7's, secondary pair are well worn Asics Gel Excite 6's. Have a pair of Asics Lyteracer's that have really screwed up the toes, even after making the cut in the top of the shoe to alleviate so I avoid wearing them. Usually buy 3-4 pairs a year (early January, early to mid April, late August and maybe another pair post Melbourne in October), problem is I also wear the secondary pair often as my main covered shoes and also for umpiring should the ground not be boggy. Late last season because I lost one of my boots and the replacement pair I purchased were ill fitting, I also wore runners for games.

JD234

Debutant
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I consider myself to have some intelligence, but gee I am dumb at the same time.

I've really got into running lately, running most days and on my longer runs I was doing 10km. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to up this to 16km on Saturday... and in my old pair of runners! Run was fantastic, felt great, even felt as if I could of went a lot further.

Wake up Sunday morning..... Can hardly put any pressure on my right foot. Not sure exactly what I have done but the pain is just below the ankle on the outside of my foot. My feet roll out when I run, especially in the old runners, so I am assuming that is what has caused the problem.

It is slightly better today and seems to just be inflamed and thankfully is not sore to touch, just sore when I walk.

Fingers crossed with a few days rest it will return to normal!

Anyone had anything similar? Or anything that may help?

Unrelated... Got my new NB 1080v10 shoes today, testing them out with 40 mins in the morning.

Tried them on and walked around at home and fair to say if they feel half as good as they do doing that I'll be very happy.

Also they look bloody ace
Update:
Bloody love these wheels, ran 21 on the weekend, 2nd quickest I ever have but was comfortable the entire time...the rest of the day and Monday (day after) hardly felt like I'd been out the day before

Great signs since my real reason for getting them was for long runs.

25k planned on Sunday which will be my furthest ever as I slowly build ready for Melbourne (should it happen)

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Update:
Bloody love these wheels, ran 21 on the weekend, 2nd quickest I ever have but was comfortable the entire time...the rest of the day and Monday (day after) hardly felt like I'd been out the day before

Great signs since my real reason for getting them was for long runs.

25k planned on Sunday which will be my furthest ever as I slowly build ready for Melbourne (should it happen)
Glad you like them. I got a pair of Hoka Clifton 6's around the same time, thinking that these were going to be my max cushion pair. They can't hold a torch to the 1080's

Currently looking at a pair of NB More v2 or Asics Nova Blast as my recovery shoes - anyone tried them?

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Glad you like them. I got a pair of Hoka Clifton 6's around the same time, thinking that these were going to be my max cushion pair. They can't hold a torch to the 1080's

Currently looking at a pair of NB More v2 or Asics Nova Blast as my recovery shoes - anyone tried them?

Ffs, I've been hovering over the "checkout" button on the NB site for around a week. I've applied the discount code you gave me Willo_ , the only thing that's stopping me is the fact I've spent a fortune already this year on shoes and apparel. Final question which will probably tip me over, I have plenty of racing shoes but only 1 real pair I'd call daily trainers and that's the Clifton 6. As it looks like we won't get races back until maybe Melbourne in October, is the 1080 good for long daily mileage, as in 20k runs, 3-4 times a week?
I've read almost every review on them, most give it a 4 ½ out of 5 stars but I haven't had NB trainers for a good 20 years.
Sorry for the procrastination but I don't want to spend money on something that won't give me anything different to what I've already got.

Cheers

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Ffs, I've been hovering over the "checkout" button on the NB site for around a week. I've applied the discount code you gave me Willo_ , the only thing that's stopping me is the fact I've spent a fortune already this year on shoes and apparel. Final question which will probably tip me over, I have plenty of racing shoes but only 1 real pair I'd call daily trainers and that's the Clifton 6. As it looks like we won't get races back until maybe Melbourne in October, is the 1080 good for long daily mileage, as in 20k runs, 3-4 times a week?
I've read almost every review on them, most give it a 4 ½ out of 5 stars but I haven't had NB trainers for a good 20 years.
Sorry for the procrastination but I don't want to spend money on something that won't give me anything different to what I've already got.

Cheers
I'm sold on them. If you're doing 20km 3-4 times a week then they'd be the perfect rotation with the Cliftons.

The big test will be to see how long the foam stays plush for.

But to be completely honest, they got me back running again after so many problems.

Voomero's put too much pressure on my achilles. Pegs didn't have enough support. Ultra boost are s**t for mileage. Infinity React had poor heel slippage. These are the real deal.

I get all my shoe reviews from the guys at The Running Company in Ballarat - here's their instagram page. https://www.instagram.com/therunningcompany_ballarat/?hl=en

Dan Moody

Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm sold on them. If you're doing 20km 3-4 times a week then they'd be the perfect rotation with the Cliftons.

The big test will be to see how long the foam stays plush for.

But to be completely honest, they got me back running again after so many problems.

Voomero's put too much pressure on my achilles. Pegs didn't have enough support. Ultra boost are s**t for mileage. Infinity React had poor heel slippage. These are the real deal.

I get all my shoe reviews from the guys at The Running Company in Ballarat - here's their instagram page. https://www.instagram.com/therunningcompany_ballarat/?hl=en

That's a great site they've got and as if by magic I just accidentally bought a Ciele hat whilst browsing.
I went on a 20k run through Melbourne around the Yarra Trail today. Used the Clifton's and legs felt okay at the end but I was very quick to slide on the Oofos.
I'll get the 1080's tomorrow 😁

Question for you marathoners here... Am I being a sook, or is it much harder when you go over 21k... Only done it twice but a couple of weeks ago did 23 and it was real tough, then last week cruised through 21.. Today did 25, feel good now/after but it just seemed so much harder, not sure if it's mental or just as I'm going into uncharted territory
Did feel getting to 23 felt easier though so who knows

Back