Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Feeling a bit embarrassed at not knowing what a Coopers test was.
I'm going to give this a go on Saturday, 2400m is considered great for my age group.
Don't worry mate, I didn't know either haha. Just a test to see where you're at really. Went to fast and burnt myself out with a 3:26 first km then slowed down from there.

interesting test.
i wonder what counts as an experienced athlete? i've been running for years so do i fit into that category?
if so, on a good day i'd be somewhere round the lower end of "bad" i think. :$

i'm not healthy or fit enough to do this now but i'll give it crack soon as my body is ready.

did my usual 20 minutes today and for the first time since forever i didn't feel a single thing in my hamstring.

i also managed to run slower...which sounds weird but when i'm unfit i have no control over pacing and tend to go hurtling along at a speed i don't really want to be doing.
so things are looking good. the hard part is gonna be staying patient and building gradually.

Can't remember if we've discussed watches... But Rebel have the Fenix6 for a super cheap price..
Anyone else have one? I was goinf to get a forerunner but this needs to be thought out now!

Can't remember if we've discussed watches... But Rebel have the Fenix6 for a super cheap price..
Anyone else have one? I was goinf to get a forerunner but this needs to be thought out now!

Saw that discount, bloody good value.
I have the FR 645 music, love it. Battery life is amazing
On another note, no running for me this weekend. Did my back this morning, emptying the freaking dishwasher. Hurts to walk around, have had a couple of fortes and they haven't done much, also horse jelly hasn't worked either. The last time this happened, it took me 2 weeks to be able to run again.
Pretty disappointed as I look forward all week to my long Saturday runs. Looks like I'll have to finish a couple of running books I've had sitting around for a while instead.

Ransomware attacks are a big hot potato to be fair. Most law enforcement agencies don’t want the ransom paid, and only around 70% of those who pay the ransom get the stuff back

DC Rainmaker has been getting stuck into it - with any luck they’ll have a big backup server and be able to transfer everything over and close down the old one. But the public response from Garmin has been horrendous. Makes me start to consider other brands, such as Corus for watches and Wahoo for my bike computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just got a new Garmin as well, not a great time to have it all come tumbling down!
Still connect being back even partially allowed me to get it set up, now i am just learning how to navigate it (Forerunner 245 for those of you playing along at home)

I'm actually living for my running these days. On Saturdays I go for a massive, long, fu** off, lose myself run along the Yarra all the way through Fitzroy and around Richmond/Sth Yarra, out and back. Around 30k's. I absolutely lose myself for a few hours, then I warm down with a walk through the Botanical Gardens which is lovely.
By the way Willo_ , I bought the 1080's and they are fantastic. I also bought some Asics Glideride's and they are sensational as well. I haven't had Asics for over 10 years but the cushioning in these is great for long runs.
I just got sent a code for 35% off the Glideride's for doing the GC Virtual Half and it is taking all of my will power not to pull the trigger on getting some purely cos they are going to be $150...

anyone wanna solve this for me?

I'm basically getting better times than some people I know, but a slower average pace.

ie I ran 4.5Ks in 22 minutes, got an average time of 5:02/k/h.

but other people are doing essentially the same distance in 30 minutes but running at nearly 5 k's an hour.

any clue?

Looking to get back into running a bit more seriously again. After my run from Melbourne to Adelaide last year I've just been doing a few runs a week to keep the legs ticking over.
Ran 48km in a 5 hour event pacing a mate to a distance PB in April. This was 1.2km laps around our house on the same day that the actual event was cancelled.
Been concentrating more on playing footy this year as I realised i wont be able to do that for ever. Playing mainly in the midfield for whole games without rotations (because no one else wants to go in there) has helped keep the fitness up.
Going to get more serious now as I'm signed up for Kangaroo Island marathon next year and really want to better my time from when i did it back in 2016.
3 kids under 4 makes training pretty tricky haha but they love coming out for runs in the pram.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking to get back into running a bit more seriously again. After my run from Melbourne to Adelaide last year I've just been doing a few runs a week to keep the legs ticking over.
Ran 48km in a 5 hour event pacing a mate to a distance PB in April. This was 1.2km laps around our house on the same day that the actual event was cancelled.
Been concentrating more on playing footy this year as I realised i wont be able to do that for ever. Playing mainly in the midfield for whole games without rotations (because no one else wants to go in there) has helped keep the fitness up.
Going to get more serious now as I'm signed up for Kangaroo Island marathon next year and really want to better my time from when i did it back in 2016.
3 kids under 4 makes training pretty tricky haha but they love coming out for runs in the pram.

Awesome mate. Be good to see you logging those runs again.

anyone wanna solve this for me?

I'm basically getting better times than some people I know, but a slower average pace.

ie I ran 4.5Ks in 22 minutes, got an average time of 5:02/k/h.

but other people are doing essentially the same distance in 30 minutes but running at nearly 5 k's an hour.

any clue?
it sounds like you're comparing pace (minutes per k) with speed (k's per hour)... runners normally talk in terms of pace.
the numbers don't quite add up though so this is just a guess.

in the first instance that 5:02 should be expressed as pace not speed. the actual speed is a tad under 12k per hour (4.5k in 22 minutes is actually 4:53 min per k but i'm guessing your numbers aren't exact)

the second instance doesn't make sense as pace or speed but i'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that they're running at about 6 minute pace or a speed of 10k per hour

...or I'm completely wrong :drunk:

Or they're pausing their watch and having breaks.... elapsed time v moving time.

Got a mate who 'ran' and a 19 minute or so 5km pb, that took him about 24:30 minutes from start to finish.

Me: "Doesn't work like that mate. Your time is 24:30"

Him: "But I only ran 19min/5km"

🤪

it sounds like you're comparing pace (minutes per k) with speed (k's per hour)... runners normally talk in terms of pace.
the numbers don't quite add up though so this is just a guess.

in the first instance that 5:02 should be expressed as pace not speed. the actual speed is a tad under 12k per hour (4.5k in 22 minutes is actually 4:53 min per k but i'm guessing your numbers aren't exact)

the second instance doesn't make sense as pace or speed but i'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that they're running at about 6 minute pace or a speed of 10k per hour

...or I'm completely wrong :drunk:
the only real commonality I can see with the pace, is that men are having a slower one – and my taller friends are getting some of the slowest paces.

for example, 5'10 and 6'5 mates are doing 5 Ks in 25 minutes, but the tall one is averaging 4.03 and the shorter one 5.10.

and then I see lassies doing it in 33 minutes, but their pace is 6.10.

this is going off the strava data and presentation of distance/pace/time taken to run it.

Or they're pausing their watch and having breaks.... elapsed time v moving time.

Got a mate who 'ran' and a 19 minute or so 5km pb, that took him about 24:30 minutes from start to finish.

Me: "Doesn't work like that mate. Your time is 24:30"

Him: "But I only ran 19min/5km"

🤪
The Strava w***ers twitter account was glorious for that before Strava changed and made alot more of the info a premium service.

So so so many people got busted with "new PBs" and then massive constant rests showing when you looked at the analysis! Lol

the only real commonality I can see with the pace, is that men are having a slower one – and my taller friends are getting some of the slowest paces.

for example, 5'10 and 6'5 mates are doing 5 Ks in 25 minutes, but the tall one is averaging 4.03 and the shorter one 5.10.

and then I see lassies doing it in 33 minutes, but their pace is 6.10.

this is going off the strava data and presentation of distance/pace/time taken to run it.
I am super confused by what you mean...
If I run 5k in 25 mins my ave is 5mins a K.. It doesn't matter if I'm tall or short.. Ave pace per K is total time divided by total distance..
And especially on Strava it literally gives you your distance, total time and average time per Km (or Mile)

ahaha oh * me, just realised it means it would take them 6 minutes to run a kilometre! so the lower the number, the better.

for some reason I was thinking of it like a car, like if you're going 80 kilometres an hour, it's faster than driving through a school zone...

fmd dw

i'm done.
was just getting back to some decent fitness after a hamstring injury and i popped my calf.
physically i'll be good to go in 2-4 weeks but mentally i'm cooked.

over the last four years i've been injured more than i've been running and i just can't deal with the disappointment anymore.
...now to find a new hobby.
:(

Few snaps from today’s run. Hamburg is glorious
0434142ae48c0e11b5a890147a21604d.jpg

488ba0f3ae3396e92fc8f08567c0678c.jpg

f6a74db7e9f101b830765c9ff558e936.jpg

c7ea310fa4b9ce263acbe4dcab27c2bf.jpg

2e2d5f67a7ed142aeef9f23bab05c078.jpg

This makes me incredibly jealous. How come you are there?

Been here for 3 years now. German partner, two kids, living in Sydney and having family in Perth and Dortmund didn’t make sense. So we decided to live back here.

Been a great move - learnt a new language, working as a teacher over here, football every second weekend (pre corona). Life in Hamburg is seriously unreal. Such a green city with so much water around

i'm done.
was just getting back to some decent fitness after a hamstring injury and i popped my calf.
physically i'll be good to go in 2-4 weeks but mentally i'm cooked.

over the last four years i've been injured more than i've been running and i just can't deal with the disappointment anymore.
...now to find a new hobby.
:(

This sucks mate. Maybe a break and focus on something else would be good.

But I hope at some stage you do get a good run at it and it goes your way.

Have you/do you do any strength & conditioning to supplement your running? Physio/pilates/activation? It's been the best thing I've ever done working with Dane Verwey (Run Culture).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back