Injury Russell your feathers - discuss all things high performance; injury lists, Marvel surface, curse from the gods and Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

The debate has been running the while. People have trouble admitting they were wrong. The evidence is clear. Our list has been wrecked by a seriously misjudged preseason which overloaded our players.

Madness - whoever directed it should be moved on.
Cook was on SEN before the Collingwood game and they asked about our injuries, when he backed Russell I began to wonder if backing your HPM had the same downfall as that of publicly backing the coach.

Arrow, I think you’re being deliberately provocative…it’s very clear in what I’m talking about

But I will add, this is a mature list now with up to 10 preseasons into players drafted in 2015. The core group are hardened athletes.
If you want to try and bring in the argument of ability to run out games consistently my answer will be, so they should be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not being provocative at all, my opinion and my tact has never changed

Injury prone players should be transitioned out, List Management,

And as an insight, Russell hasn't been with us from 2015

As for fitness, of course they should be able to run out games, but sure doing it better than the opposition is a credit to the fitness department

Cook was on SEN before the Collingwood game and they asked about our injuries, when he backed Russell I began to wonder if backing your HPM had the same downfall as that of publicly backing the coach.

Agreed. What else is the CEO going to say publicly? We're fed up with the injuries, we think it is at least partially tied to an obviously over-loaded preseason and are sacking Russell mid season?

Success hides a lot of failings and last seasons good late run saved a few fitness staff after the post-preseason injury list. But it has happened again this year.

Not being provocative at all, my opinion and my tact has never changed

Injury prone players should be transitioned out, List Management,

And as an insight, Russell hasn't been with us from 2015

As for fitness, of course they should be able to run out games, but sure doing it better than the opposition is a credit to the fitness department

I didn’t say he had been there since 2015, you just made that up.
He was brought in for preseason in October 2018, you know when Cuningham had just completed his third season, probably not yet 21.
Marchbank had been there a year, A year later after Martin had played 83% of games over his career at GC joined in 2019 trade period and wouldn’t have averaged 40%. McGovern would have played a significant amount more of games in % terms than at Carlton
Philp drafted in 2019

All of those perennially injured have spent a very large part or all of their careers under Russell.

Now we are seeing continuous reoccurrences in Walsh, Cerra, Motlop, Williams has issues
Matt Carroll, brand new to the club and played not a jot of game time

It’s beyond a joke, every season we start with one hand tied behind our backs and constant injuries well above the average across every year.

He needs to go

I didn’t say he had been there since 2015, you just made that up.
He was brought in for preseason in October 2018, you know when Cuningham had just completed his third season, probably not yet 21.
Marchbank had been there a year, A year later after Martin had played 83% of games over his career at GC joined in 2019 trade period and wouldn’t have averaged 40%. McGovern would have played a significant amount more of games in % terms than at Carlton
Philp drafted in 2019

All of those perennially injured have spent a very large part or all of their careers under Russell.

Now we are seeing continuous reoccurrences in Walsh, Cerra, Motlop, Williams has issues
Matt Carroll, brand new to the club and played not a jot of game time

It’s beyond a joke, every season we start with one hand tied behind our backs and constant injuries well above the average across every year.

He needs to go

I hope you know that many of the these injury prone have had issues since they were 16

Anyway, glad the club is making the informed decision

Here we go, now we start playing the poster with "head in the sand comments"

I will say it again, I don't care if Russell is replaced, but you, nor anyone else here knows whether he is performing based on outcomes

Do me a favour, remove the injury prone players he has inherited and then share how you think he is performing

Unless of course you think Cook has his head in the sand also
As standard.. no takers.

What happens with Cerra now.

The high performance team defenders will now have to call out Cerra as an injury prone player that the high performance team can't help because it is Cerra's body? Similar to how Martin is now treated??

Or can we compare how Freo managed Cerra, and how GC managed Martin?

On the other hand, do we give the high performance team kudos for Walsh playing given his back complaints or do we cite Walsh being overloaded each pre-season and missing two season starts in a row. Are they geniuses or morons?

Do we give the high performance team credit for keeping Charlie on the park and getting him back playing extraordinary footy. I for one thought he was finished or finished in terms of superstar footy. The kudos i think is there a little offset by the fact that he missed A LOT of footy. We had to wait a long time but we got there.

Cant help trying someone different because there isnt a lot of kudos cases going for this high perf team.

Personally feel Cerra could fight for being our best player but cant because of hamstrings. So now people are downrating Cerra in the media, in the forums and so on. Inside the corner of my head, ranting away is...ffs, get it right with Cerra, Martin and Marchbank you abs muppets as they are the extra gravy required!!

What happens with Cerra now.

The high performance team defenders will now have to call out Cerra as an injury prone player that the high performance team can't help because it is Cerra's body? Similar to how Martin is now treated??

Or can we compare how Freo managed Cerra, and how GC managed Martin?

On the other hand, do we give the high performance team kudos for Walsh playing given his back complaints or do we cite Walsh being overloaded each pre-season and missing two season starts in a row. Are they geniuses or morons?

Do we give the high performance team credit for keeping Charlie on the park and getting him back playing extraordinary footy. I for one thought he was finished or finished in terms of superstar footy. The kudos i think is there a little offset by the fact that he missed A LOT of footy. We had to wait a long time but we got there.

Cant help trying someone different because there isnt a lot of kudos cases going for this high perf team.

Personally feel Cerra could fight for being our best player but cant because of hamstrings. So now people are downrating Cerra in the media, in the forums and so on. Inside the corner of my head, ranting away is...ffs, get it right with Cerra, Martin and Marchbank you abs muppets as they are the extra gravy required!!
What qualification do you pertain to having to condemn a professional like Russell and the Carlton Football club for supporting Russell???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What qualification do you pertain to having to condemn a professional like Russell and the Carlton Football club for supporting Russell???

Let me start off by putting the same question back on you (just tongue in cheek). Searching your posts see you comment on all things. Should i ask you about your football qualifications and when you say you don't have any aside from watching the game, should I discredit everything you say by default? I wont, I'll read your personal view and analyse the content/points made.

With hamstrings and high performance, you can go one of two ways i think. Be an expert on the matter of all things hamstring medically or maybe do what I've done and look at anecdotal evidence. Both Cerra and Martin spent considerable time at other clubs for much less hamstring impact on games played. That is circumstantial evidence at best but can be used to argue a point. Courts do it.

It's all Ive done. It is sort of flimsy and it isnt. The point I made means I don't need internal club knowledge because i'm assessing output. Well, to an extent. Because someone can aergue back that circumstances are different at Carlton compared to Cerra at Fremantle and that could be correct.

Yes, but at what cost?
It’s not hard to train harder than others.
The hard part has always been to do so without breaking down in the process.

That's also very true I guess

Don't think anyone here has the answer apart from pointing to the injury list, moreso soft tissue injuries

Marchbank finds new ways to get injured, has done so since he was 16

Martin had 2 full seasons in 6 at the Suns, Gov has played 20 games twice in 8 years, once with us, once with the Crows

And then, back end of last year heading into finals, we had one of the healthiest lists

If the answer to improve our injury concerns, is sack Russell, then do it now, but if the underlying strategy is "we couldn't do any worse", then that isn't a strategy at all

Do me a favour, remove the injury prone players he has inherited and then share how you think he is performing

Unless of course you think Cook has his head in the sand also

Injury prone players we keep re-signing. You don’t think List Management consult the HP team and complete a medical on these players? Much like they do on a recruit.

Cook has backed him publicly but I’ll be shocked if Russell is still there next year.

Injury prone players we keep re-signing. You don’t think List Management consult the HP team and complete a medical on these players? Much like they do on a recruit.

Cook has backed him publicly but I’ll be shocked if Russell is still there next year.

All areas of the footy department would be in discussion about many aspects, the individual player and the type required moving forward

What I do know, end of this year, the injury prone won't all be on the list going into next year

All areas of the footy department would be in discussion about many aspects, the individual player and the type required moving forward

What I do know, end of this year, the injury prone won't all be on the list going into next year

I’d imagine List Management wouldn’t sign/re-sign a player without the tick of approval from Russell & the HP team.

The fact we’ve signed & re-signed these players we bemoan is another red cross against Russell. And the players that are now ‘injury prone’ like Cerra & Martin have become that way under his tenure.

I predict we move on both Russell and these players.

I’d imagine List Management wouldn’t sign/re-sign a player without the tick of approval from Russell & the HP team.

The fact we’ve signed & re-signed these players we bemoan is another red cross against Russell. And the players that are now ‘injury prone’ like Cerra & Martin have become that way under his tenure.

So now Austin signing players he knows struggle to stay on the park, since him taking over list management is Russell fault?

My last post stated Martin's availability or lack thereof, even at the Suns, but has become injury prone at Carlton

This is the sort of stuff that lacks credibility when debating this topic

So now Austin signing players he knows struggle to stay on the park, since him taking over list management is Russell fault?

My last post stated Martin's availability or lack thereof, even at the Suns, but has become injury prone at Carlton

This is the sort of stuff that lacks credibility when debating this topic

Do you think Austin would sign/re-sign a player without completing a medical with our HP team?

Be realistic.

Martin played 21 & 22 games in the 2 years prior to joining us.

Edit: apologies played 15/16 in his 2 recent years before us.

Last edited:
Do you think Austin would sign/re-sign a player without completing a medical with our HP team?

Be realistic.

Yes, he would. Like say McGovern end of 2022, then played 20 odd games in 2023

Then it's also based on contract salary, replacement cost. He would also be guided by Voss

Remember, all these guys finished well back end of the season. Do you think they passed a medical?

Boyd suffered a couple of seasons of injuries, imagine if we cut him. Kennedy the same

Anyway, the injury prone will start to be transitioned out end of year, if Russell departs, so be it

Let me start off by putting the same question back on you (just tongue in cheek). Searching your posts see you comment on all things. Should i ask you about your football qualifications and when you say you don't have any aside from watching the game, should I discredit everything you say by default? I wont, I'll read your personal view and analyse the content/points made.

With hamstrings and high performance, you can go one of two ways i think. Be an expert on the matter of all things hamstring medically or maybe do what I've done and look at anecdotal evidence. Both Cerra and Martin spent considerable time at other clubs for much less hamstring impact on games played. That is circumstantial evidence at best but can be used to argue a point. Courts do it.

It's all Ive done. It is sort of flimsy and it isnt. The point I made means I don't need internal club knowledge because i'm assessing output. Well, to an extent. Because someone can aergue back that circumstances are different at Carlton compared to Cerra at Fremantle and that could be correct.
I do comment on all sorts of topics but I dont put them forth as fact.

Yes, he would. Like say McGovern end of 2022, then played 20 odd games in 2023

Then it's also based on contract salary, replacement cost. He would also be guided by Voss

Remember, all these guys finished well back end of the season. Do you think they passed a medical?

Boyd suffered a couple of seasons of injuries, imagine if we cut him. Kennedy the same

Anyway, the injury prone will start to be transitioned out end of year, if Russell departs, so be it

So, as with any job we give him a tick for his good decisions and a cross for his poor ones.

In his tenure there have been far more crosses than ticks.

He may be popular with the players but it’s not a popularity contest, I’ll be shocked if he’s still there next year.

If we don’t improve this area it can derail our window, it’s a serious issue.

So, as with any job we give him a tick for his good decisions and a cross for his poor ones.

In his tenure there have been far more crosses than ticks.

He may be popular with the players but it’s not a popularity contest, I’ll be shocked if he’s still there next year.

If we don’t improve this area it can derail our window, it’s a serious issue.

We have 45 players on a list, think the ticks outweigh the crosses

Again, I don't care if Russell is there or not, it's never been part of the debate for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back