Delisted Ryan Bastinac (2015-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Basti will get the call up this week. I'm a fan of his. Hopefully he can have a second half of the season that mirror's last year when he hit a nice run of form.
I would love to know what it is exactly that they have identified as his "needs to grow" areas and the feedback he is getting. It does seem curious now that North let him go when even many North supporters rated him highly as an inside mid.

I think Basti will get the call up this week. I'm a fan of his. Hopefully he can have a second half of the season that mirror's last year when he hit a nice run of form.

I’d like to see him get played in the guts. It’s his natural position and he’ll either make the most of his opportunity or he’ll show us he doesn’t belong.

I’d like to see him get played in the guts. It’s his natural position and he’ll either make the most of his opportunity or he’ll show us he doesn’t belong.

I think that's where to lack of 2 way running becomes a real issue.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-07-31/neafl-wrap-round-16
Ryan Bastinac was superb with 36 disposals and three tackles.

“Ryan’s had a really good month of footy,” Littlejohn said.

He understands the defensive side of his game he needs to continue to work on. But offensively he’s been really damaging for us.

“If his opportunity arises in the near future, I think he’d be ready to grab it with both hands.”

After a long absence from the Senior side, Ryan Bastinac has worked his way back in for his first game since Round 5. Bastinac was excellent in the Lions' NEAFL win against the Gold Coast last weekend, collecting 36 disposals and three tackles in the two-goal win. The midfielder has also been hailed for his offensive game and strong leadership which has helped the Lions claim back their spot in the NEAFL top six.

“Your form over the past month has been great and you deserve to be in the team,” Fagan said. “I know you’re looking forward to it, you’ve been one of those players who has come and chatted to me a lot lately about your footy.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given he's been helping out all year I assumed it was always the plan regardless of how well Bastinac played.

Neville Fallon Brisbane Lions Reserves Best and Fairest
For the first time in Brisbane Lions history, the 2018 Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest Award has been spilt in a four-way tie.

Ryan Bastinac, Claye Beams, Ben Keays and Corey Lyons have tied for the award at the Lions' Club Champion awards night. All four players have made an outstanding contribution to the NEAFL team this season, particularly during the second-half of the year.

Bastinac also had an impressive season which saw him return to Senior football on two separate occasions. Bastinac has proven to be ultra-reliable in 2018, quite often topping the disposal count. Bastinac averaged a goal and 26 disposals per game in 2018.

Congratulations to the four recipients of the Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest.
180180_Club_Champs_Winner_Square_Reserves.jpg

Player Reviews
#4 - Ryan Bastinac
2018 was a frustrating year for experienced midfielder Ryan Bastinac. Bastinac finished 2017 in great form for the Lions, playing the last 12 matches of the season and making a great contribution in each game. Unfortunately, Bastinac couldn't continue his form through pre-season and was unable to find a spot in the Senior side to start the year.

He started the NEAFL season as one of the Lions' best and forced his way into the Senior side for Round 5. A solid performance wasn't enough for him to keep his spot, and he wasn't sighted again in the AFL until Round 20. Bastinac showed great leadership for the Lions NEAFL team this year and finished as a joint winner of the Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest Award. In 17 NEAFL matches, Bastinac averaged 26 disposals per game and kicked 19 goals.

Senior matches: 2, NEAFL matches: 17

AFL Draft review: Brisbane (Pete Williams)
Rookie Draft:

Ryan Bastinac – Balanced Midfielder

The former North Melbourne midfielder was redrafted by the Lions as a rookie, and offers some good depth to an ever-strengthening midfield. Bastinac can play elsewhere around the ground, and the Lions were always keen to hold onto him.

The player who could be set for a career-defining season at your AFL club (Brayden May)
Brisbane: Ryan Bastinac
After playing 38 games in his first two seasons in Queensland, Bastinac very much fell out of favour with Chris Fagan in 2018, playing just two matches.

With the Lions exciting youngsters continuing to develop, Bastinac will need a strong pre-season as he looks to find a regular spot in the senior team. His one-year contract extension signed last year shows he has a challenge on his hands.

The bolded is just wrong...unless I've missed something.

The Stat Files: Ryan Bastinac
Ryan Bastinac is 27 and has played 162 games over 10 seasons in the AFL, but he could be excused for feeling a little like a teenage debutant on Sunday afternoon. In his fourth season with the Lions after six seasons at North Melbourne, Bastinac will play against his former club in Melbourne for the first time.

With family and friends in the Marvel Stadium crowd to balance out any North fans with long memories keen to give him a hard time, he’ll also be looking to remove a statistical oddity from his career record. Bastinac has had a win against every AFL club except North after having finished on the losing side in each of his three games for Brisbane against North at the Gabba.

In 2016, in just his second game in Lions colors, the free-running midfielder copped a 34-point loss to North before a 51-point loss in 2017 and a three-point loss in Round 20 last year, when Cam Rayner missed a late chance to win the game. Bastinac, who enjoyed a 6-2 record against Brisbane as a North player and has played 75 AFL games at Marvel Stadium, will head ‘home’ to play this weekend a revitalised figure after a standout off-season.

Having managed only two AFL games last year in Round 5 and Round 20 he set himself for a massive summer campaign to win back his spot, and after two eye-catching performances in the JLT Series has been rewarded at selection by coach Chris Fagan. He had 14 disposals in the Round 1 win over West Coast last weekend, which was one of the club’s best wins of the past decade.

But it’s been a mixed time at the Gabba for Bastinac after a stellar career at Arden Street. He played 121 of a possible 139 games at North, including 83 in a row from mid-2011, and had three top 10 finishes in the North B&F – equal 9th in 2020, 8th in 2012 and 6th in 2013. It was considered a coup when he was lured to Brisbane on a four-year contract starting in 2016. He played all 22 games in 2016 under Justin Leppitsch and finished 7th in the Merrett/Murray Medal just 10 votes behind 2nd-placed Mitch Robinson.

He started 2017 in the seniors, playing Rounds 1-2, but was dropped in Round 3. Recalled in Round 5, he was dropped again in Round 6 and spent four weeks in the NEAFL. He won back his spot in Round 10 and held it for the rest of the season, but he spent most of the 2018 season on the outer.

A product of the Dandenong Stingrays in the Victorian U18 competition, Bastinac was drafted by North Melbourne at #21 in 2009. Among those chosen after him were Geelong mid-field ace Mitch Duncan (#28), gun Hawthorn forward Jack Gunston (#29), Melbourne All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn (#34), Sydney’s Sam Reid (#38) and current Brisbane teammate Allen Christensen (#40).

It was the year in which Brisbane invested heavily at the trade table, bringing in Brendon Fevola, Andrews Raines, Xavier Clarke, Amon Buchanan and Brent Staker from opposition clubs before drafting Callum Bartlett (#27), Ryan Harwood (#47), Jesse O’Brien (#73), Bryce Retzlaff (#84), Matt Maguire (#91) and Tom Rockliff (Pre-Season Draft).

Bastinac will find himself opposed to as many as 15 former North teammates on Sunday, including four players who played with him in his first game in Round 1 2012 – captain Jack Ziebell, Scott Thompson, Todd Goldstein and Sam Wright.

1553837360479.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back