Scandal Salary Cap Rorts

Remove this Banner Ad

Garland has retired, so he has foregone his 2018 playing contract. I am sure the AFL will check that his coaching contract dollars are in the ballpark for rookie coaching staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's ever a level playing field with the old C.O.L.A & Tom Lynch deal etc , who knows what else goes on

Garland has retired, so he has foregone his 2018 playing contract. I am sure the AFL will check that his coaching contract dollars are in the ballpark for rookie coaching staff.

Cheers for your info. Forgoing the contract is the players choice, and often is a decision based on good conscience and not coercion or bribery. But the club should still keep all the money in the salary cap.

i didn't like the pressure the GFC put on Bartell last year to retire, even though in the end they are said to have absorbed his wage into their cap. But they wouldn't have had to pay performance bonuses in the cap, if there were any... (but that is nitpicking, and arguably between Geelong and Bartell).

If you are 34 years old and break a leg then in principle the club should pay you out in full..... but if they don't then 100% of that wage should stay in the cap, even if you retire one or two or three years before your contract expires.

The contract is partly about the promise of security over time...... one year contracts should pay more than 5 year contracts for the same player.

Garland sounds like a huge asset to MFC off field.

It might be easier if you go get involved with your local footy club, then you will understand.

Come on Deep Throat, don't be so bashful;

I`m too old to rejoin a footy club, and too old to meet you in an underground car park :)

What's the skinny?

Lets just say there are ways to pay players (directly or indirectly) without putting it on the books.

The Us Colleage system of bribes and sexual favors seemed to me too obvious and well known, but the US media act shocked whenever a colleague team is busted and lynch their coach. Like, WTF???? Who didn't know about that!

I worry/sense that historically AFL media have the same dead nerve endings to this type of thing, ala Judd/Vissy that no one questioned for years.

That is how disingenuous this deal was - do you expect Buddy to serve out his full contract? The whole thing was a farce - and based on current inablility to win a flag, will continue to hurt club by way of the loss of top line players to fit this bloke in.
So peanuts like you keep saying...
Sydney lost the flag in 2016 with the 3rd youngest list.
Sorry we make finals when we're effectively in a rebuild.

A ban on trading players who wanted to leave?

Interesting.

Yep, you should not have been allowed back into the draft from trading players. They should have been allowed to walk for free as DFAs given the breach by EFC of their employment contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL added a clause to Buddy's contract specifying that his salary would be retained within the cap regardless of whether he played out his full 9 years. That's not the case for any other player contract within the league, but when you derail the AFL's attempts to manipulate the competition you're going to cop penalties (see: trade ban).
Whilst the AFL made this rule up on the fly it makes sense. From what I understand the rule applies to any player signed as a restricted free agent (not just Buddy) to deter clubs from signing players to contracts they have no intention of honoring, but knowing the club with matching rights would never match.

Let's be clear

There's AFL sanctioned rorting
And then there's the kind of rorting that the AFL don't see as advantagous their brand, revenue and gambling interests

The second one gets a slapping

Replace the word rorting in the above lines with any of the following:

- Tanking
- sex scandals
- drug use
- acts by people working as an AFL employee who's qualifications for position are questionable

I don't know much about Garland's coaching prowess/ability
Then either don't comment or learn how to google.

I would love to put Ty Vickery on our coaching staff in 2018
And waste one of the AFL's premier forwards?

The AFL scare off clubs interested in Lynch from Gold Coast by suggesting brown paper bag payments to keep him.
The AFL can just pay Lynch directly as an ambassador, just like they did with Ablett; no scare tactics required.

What's with Essendon's sallary cap space this year?
I read they were able to bank salary cap credits from when their players were suspended.

But maybe I'm wrong, you should give them a call and ask them directly.

It feels like it us sometimes up to BF and fans to keep some of this bullshit in check

BF - keeping the bastards honest????
Yeah mate, keep up the great work. :thumbsu::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nominating yourself with a high price to get to a club through the PSD is a punk move...... but at the time I think everyone thought St Kilda were being hit by the karma bus. Will never understand why Ball was on the bench in the second half of 2009 GF

Pretty sure everyone in the country couldn’t understnd it either. Except Ross Lyon.

I’m pretty glad he did it though, made Ball want to leave and kept Ross and his depressing style of footy from winning a flag.

Player vs clubs financial disputes / settlements are gross. As when Lloyd and Hird both sold their domain names to EFC for a profit of 250 grand a piece in 2000, intentionally to relieve salary cap pressure.

It annoys me a bit that the media never talk or investigate this stuff.

The Vissy deal with Judd stunk from day one, but it took years for the AFL to actually admit it and change the rules.
As did the old wife working in the office 1 day a week
Expensive coffee 4 sure
A old hawks trick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back