Recommitted Sam Weideman [re-signed for 2 more years]

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have a feeling Melbourne will offload Weideman for a packet of chips late in the draft.

They can posture all they want but they don’t want to be paying a bloke the money he is probably asking to play 2’s and be a backup.

Not sure clubs will be queuing up to make him a priority.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I have a feeling Melbourne will offload Weideman for a packet of chips late in the draft.

They can posture all they want but they don’t want to be paying a bloke the money he is probably asking to play 2’s and be a backup.

Not sure clubs will be queuing up to make him a priority.

Ben Brown has a dicky knee (as all Roos supporters keep saying) and approaching 29.

Tom McDonald just turned 29 and while he had a great first half of this year, he’s tailed off again which makes it half a good season in the last three years.

I don’t think Melbourne will be rushing to jettison Weideman as he is the only key forward depth the club has unless they swing Petty or Joel Smith forward again.

I think Melbourne will make a one or two year offer on very favourable financial terms for the club.

Then the ball will be in Weideman’s court as to whether he accepts those terms to stay, or he gets a more attractive offer elsewhere and leaves.

If he wants to leave, I agree Melbourne won’t get much back, 3rd round pick if they are lucky, more likely 4th, or perhaps a minor pick upgrade somewhere.

DEES FORWARD BACKFLIPS ON FUTURE
MELBOURNE is poised to retain young forward Sam Weideman.

Despite ongoing speculation that the talented 24-year-old would pursue opportunities elsewhere next season, AFL.com.au understands Weideman will commit his future to the club.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/679559

dee64

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You could translate that to mean that his management has had no interest in him from other clubs, so will sign a baseline contract at Melbourne that keeps him in the system till free agency. It then falls on Weideman to prove himself. Tom McDonald and Neal Bullen were in the same situation, and have turned their careers around.

You could translate that to mean that his management has had no interest in him from other clubs, so will sign a baseline contract at Melbourne that keeps him in the system till free agency. It then falls on Weideman to prove himself. Tom McDonald and Neal Bullen were in the same situation, and have turned their careers around.
Clearly had no interest at the contract he was asking for, so went back to the lower offer that would have always been there from us.

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne

I agree 100%

Chol (GC), Callum - Jones (NM) all but dried up Weideman's destinations based on what he was wanting financially

Bit like the NBA/NFL, he has to take a gamble on himself that he will break into our 22 and make an impact for the duration of 2022. This will boost his stock and therefore may get better offers.

Clearly had no interest at the contract he was asking for, so went back to the lower offer that would have always been there from us.

Win for us, hopefully he has a crack in 22

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
No surprise to me. Melbourne keep him on Melbourne’s terms. Nobody else is willing to take the gamble on a deal attractive enough that Weideman was willing to entertain leaving a club that looks like having a successful period over the next couple of years.

I would have been interested in him to see if we could turn him into a key defender, but even then, he probably spends most of next year in the reserves learning the role, which would probably be no different to how he would spend his next year at the Dees.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
One can only hope that missing out on playing finals and hopefully a Dees premiership can spur him on to pull the proverbial finger out next season and actually work a lot harder if he wants to be part of a successful team and club.

I actually think he has talent (always seems to play well against us) but I feel like it's a work rate and confidence/mentality thing with him.

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
As this is my 1st post in the thread - Fantastic News for Sam and the MFC, work hard over the pre-season and you will be back playing AFL very soon. We support you and have faith you can enjoy many years at the MFC. It over to you now Sam provem wrong buddy.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
A good signing for us. We don’t have much of any key forward depth that isn’t at tail end of career. Was flying last pre season before he was injured. Needs a good run at it injury wise.

Back