Sammy Iles and Danny Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
well done, boys. have watched these two in the vfl over the past two years, and they are two of the hardest working and dilligent footballers there are in australia. both certainly can play, have the odd element of concern over their disposal/ability to be clean by foot, but many footballers do. wish the two all the very best with the gold coast, and i hope they can go on to successful league careers - they've earnt this second chance. all the best. the gc has chosen wisely here to start off their time in the comp.

well done, boys. have watched these two in the vfl over the past two years, and they are two of the hardest working and dilligent footballers there are in australia. both certainly can play, have the odd element of concern over their disposal/ability to be clean by foot, but many footballers do. wish the two all the very best with the gold coast, and i hope they can go on to successful league careers - they've earnt this second chance. all the best. the gc has chosen wisely here to start off their time in the comp.

I think the opening line says it all. They are VFL footballers, there is a reason they havent made it at Collingwood, they are not up to AFL level. Good VFL players but not AFL.

Ignore the above. You've picked up 2 gun footballers and even better characters. Both got a raw deal at Collingwood but both have persevered. Bluey loved both these boys at Collingwood and he knows them better than most. Well done.

Both solid players that tear it up at VFL.

They could be serviceable at AFL and i wish them well, but at the very least they will be a beacon of work ethic and make sure your VFL team is competitive

Ignore the above. You've picked up 2 gun footballers and even better characters. Both got a raw deal at Collingwood but both have persevered. Bluey loved both these boys at Collingwood and he knows them better than most. Well done.

Yeah gun footballers who were both de listed by Collingwood and overlooked by every other AFL club, they must be guns then if every other club overlooked them. Even Sydney wanted Henry Playfair and he is hopeless.

If they are such guns then why were they delisted. Stanley had his oppurtunitues at the Pies so i dont know how he was hard done by. When he had his chnces he stuffed it becasue he cant kick.

I agree with you totally. Bluey knows what he is doing. These players have massive potential and given the right opportunity they will be great at AFL level. It was a matter or C'wood not having many openings for them at the right time and neither were given a massive game time, especially not Iles!!

Looking forward to seeing them both excel

Coming 3rd and 5th in the Rookie list was fantastic. Not many AFL players were taken in the National Draft everyone knew this draft would find homes for good recycled players.
Good on you both boys and glad you have a new team.... Your determination boys has paid off.

Both good selections IMO . Danny Stanley will make it at AFL level as an inside-mid. Was unlucky he wasn't given more opportunities in his proper role at Collingwood. Not totally sure about Iles bridging the gap (between VFL and AFL), but he's at the right age and not without a genuine chance, given the right opportunities.

Both have done a solid apprencticeship - and have the right work ethic.

Yeah gun footballers who were both de listed by Collingwood and overlooked by every other AFL club, they must be guns then if every other club overlooked them. Even Sydney wanted Henry Playfair and he is hopeless.

If they are such guns then why were they delisted. Stanley had his oppurtunitues at the Pies so i dont know how he was hard done by. When he had his chnces he stuffed it becasue he cant kick.

Stanley played four games in four years at the club. One of those games he played in the last line of defense against Russell Robertson. He played one game this year, against St. Kilda and had fifteen disposals and three marks. He might have had poor skills or was slow, but he was hardly tested at AFL level. When he did make it to AFL, he was played out of position.

So no, he didn't really get a chance to prove himself at all.

You could say similar things to any rookie drafted kid. Harry O'Brien, Dean Cox, Sandilands must have been s**t because they were overlooked by 16 clubs around 70 times in their drafts.

Let's not forget the position GC are in they need solid depth players and their not going to get a superstar in the rookie draft. Not only do they get great VFL standard players they get possible AFL level players and at worst AFL depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back