Sandilands can accept 1 match ban -- NAB Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

My initial thought was nothing in it, Griffith just ran into his shoulder.
Seeing from the other angle where Sandi looks at Griffith then leans back into him making "accidental" shoulder to head contact I was like "ummmm Sandi in trouble"
With some of the head contacts last year that cost players a week or more nobody should be surprised with one week, unless of course you think he should have got more.
Take it and run.

They're pre season games...There is a fair chance he'll be missing next week regardless purely due to wanting to play other guys, and even if he did miss because of this, that doesn't mean he would of missed if it was a serious game.

That said, he DID miss the rest of that game (and would have regardless of the seriousness of the game due to having concussion), which has to count for something.
The point is, it's a weak call. Looked like barely a hit, player should stand up and shake it off. But we cant have mother pulling their kids into soccer now can we?

Joke

If they cared about contact to the head they would ban the third man up. They won't. The match review panel are a bunch of spuds.

and if they did we'd be having a different argument, but with the rules as they stand, it was a head high bump, and for one of those (especially one that causes concussion) 1 week is a very light punishment.

The point is, it's a weak call. Looked like barely a hit, player should stand up and shake it off. But we cant have mother pulling their kids into soccer now can we?

Joke

The target player was concussed, regardless of how hard it looked, that's a significant impact and as the rules go, the guy who chose to bump and hit the head is responsible for that.

Also shouldn't have two hanging of him in the contest. Careless is a long way from lining him up to hurt him.
Have you even watched the video? You sound like you haven't because everything you type is wrong. He didn't have two on him, he had one and then left the ruck contest to block out Griffiths.

Intentional is lining up to hurt him.
Careless is not lining him up but hurting him anyway.

Anyway, the MRP have set a benchmark in relation to ruck contests for 2016.

Will they stick with this standard of ruling through 2016, .................. that is the litmus test.
This is nothing new. It's called don't hit other players in the head.

If you think Sandilands lined up Griffith with the intention to hurt him you are very short on football knowledge . Sandi has not been reported before this episode in his long career. If there is a fairer player going around I would like to know who it is.
Next you will be trying the blame game re Vickery fainting from exhaustion 10 minutes into the game.

I don't think he intended to hurt him, but that doesn't really matter.

Look at any bump that goes high...That the player intended to hit the body is irrelevant. If you initiate contact and impact the head, you're gone. If it causes the other player to get concussed and miss the rest of the game, then 1 week is getting off extremely light.

Anyway, the MRP have set a benchmark in relation to ruck contests for 2016.

Will they stick with this standard of ruling through 2016, .................. that is the litmus test.

Yeah, choosing to impact a guy in the head and causing him to miss the rest of the game and only getting one week....Way too soft, but that's the benchmark they've set.

Clearly the message of bumps to the head has not reached the west yet. Any appeal will fail given Sandilands identified Griffiths prior to raising the shoulder and making contact to the head of Griffiths. Lucky he didn't bust his jaw. I hope they appeal as two weeks is warranted not just one!

I don't think he intended to hurt him, but that doesn't really matter.

Look at any bump that goes high...That the player intended to hit the body is irrelevant. If you initiate contact and impact the head, you're gone. If it causes the other player to get concussed and miss the rest of the game, then 1 week is getting off extremely light.
Griffiths will probably have to sit out this week also to ensure no loading effects of the concussion. Two weeks is fair IMO

If you attempt a bump and hit the head its a ban. Surely everyone knows this by now. It was clumsy by Sandilands he should have just gone the ball he most likely would have got the hit out even with the 3rd man up.

What was Sandilands meant to do?

If he went for the ball Griffiths would have blocked/knocked him from the contest and he wouldn't have been able to do anything.

I'm not denying he looked at Griffiths and that his shoulder got him in the jaw but the shoulder to jaw contact was due to Sandi being 10cms taller not because he lined him up to inflict pain/damage.

By the end of last year the MRP started softening up on these calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going by the book, as the AFL are running things, this decision is correct.

Putting the Sandi decision aside

I think a lot of fans are frustrated with where the AFL are taking the game. I'm not great at explaining my feelings, but it feels that they are preventing 2 players going flatout for the ball, one player goes down in the contest. Instead of fair tough contest, the "winner" of the contest can be held accountable because one goes down.

At no time do I support swinging arms and elbows ( throw the book at em ), or incidents 50 metres off the play, but are players being discouraged from contesting ?, becoming seagulls ?.

I'm just frustrated that the game I played fairly, and hard has changed. Players sometimes get injured, accidents do occur.

On to Round 1 of the proper season.

I'm sorry but this is complete horseshit. He kept his shoulder tucked in and it's not his fault he's so tall.

There was nothing in it... a normal size bloke nothing happens

This could cost Freo a win in round 1

heck the AFL it's a complete joke

Eye off the ball, lined up the player, makes head contact, player out with concussion for rest of the game. You elect to bump, you run the risk.

This isn't rocket science people. It has been the common principle in MRP decisions for years now.

Going by the book, as the AFL are running things, this decision is correct.

As I said earlier, if people want to argue the merits of third man up, then I'm all for it (although I do wonder how you can get a fair, enforceable rule), but as things stand, 1 week for that means he got off lightly.

Putting the Sandi decision aside

I think a lot of fans are frustrated with where the AFL are taking the game. I'm not great at explaining my feelings, but it feels that they are preventing 2 players going flatout for the ball, one player goes down in the contest. Instead of fair tough contest, the "winner" of the contest can be held accountable because one goes down.

At no time do I support swinging arms and elbows ( throw the book at em ), or incidents 50 metres off the play, but are players being discouraged from contesting ?, becoming seagulls ?.

Sandilands had his eyes on an opposition player and hit him as he was going for the ball. Not sure how that's a 'fair tough contest'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back