SANFL players you hated...

Remove this Banner Ad

jesus don't try and justify that bullshit..get your one eyed warfie glasses off for a minute please. the bays player had his head over the ball and got hit high...what happened to protecting a blokes head. blatant free.

but no the piss weak umpire ignores it and then pulls the softest free kick from his arse in front of goal... load of s**t. annoying, soft bullshit which affects outcomes of games.

Clearly no free to the Bay, hit him in the shoulder at worst, both players going for the ball - I can just as easily say you only see what you want to see. That wouldn't even be a free in today's sanitised game. As for the Hodges free, that talentless hack Hocking just barged into him while Scotty was applying a legitimate tackle to the Bay. Nearly ended the career of one of the great SA full forwards in that moment of utter buffoonery. And it was an obvious free.

andrew taylor... lol good call macca

My lasting memory of Hollywood (apart from not getting a kick for the last 3 quarters of the 94 GF) was in the GF replay early in 1995, Port about 6 goals up in the last, on their way to victory, Hollywood having an easy shot for goal about 25 out in front, misses badly....Troy Olsen standing about 30 metres behind him yells out something to him, Hollywood runs the 30 metres just to jump and punch him in the face right in front of the umpire...starts an all in brawl, Port go down the other end and kick an easy goal through Mcleod and Taylor got about 4 weeks. One of the funniest brain farts ive seen on a footy field.

just reading through this thread..a few people ahve said Peter Green but i don't recall him

Was on Sydney and Carltons list for a while before moving to Centrals in 1995. I reckon he either punched someone in the head behind play or started a brawl in every game I saw him play, except the 96 GF. Cant find a photo of him so ill get a vid capture of him from te 96 GF. Maybe 185cm, 90kg, short, fat, blonde hair in a bowl cut, mainly half forward.

First game I saw him play was against Port at Footy Park in 95 and he started a toe to toe with Darren Smith 100 metres behind play. In the 95 game at Alberton he punched Darryl Poole in the face before the first bounce similar to the Granger/Cornes punch in the other thread. Started an all in at half time in a match at Elizabeth with mini leaguers running around. And the carry on he used to do if he kicked a goal was laughable. The guy was just a complete ****head. Actually he probably is my number 1 hated footballer of all time. Fact he barely had a kick in the 96 GF when he was meant to be Centrals enforcer who was gonna make us pay because he hurt himself in the prelim before the 95 GF and missed out made him even more of a joke.

Anyway...my blood pressure is rising now so ill stop :D

This is Peter Green:

24g7grd.jpg

Having a cry on the bench after coming off second best after trying to take out Ginever in the 96 GF
25q36.jpg

A standard after goal pose, an example of said ****wittery
jb7dj8.jpg

I still remember Macca dismissing Green years ago in a post as a tool. I LOL'ed - the perfect summary.

A few from the past, probably not hated, but were worth some nuisance value - let's see if there's one for each club:

Port: Chris Dalkin - super talent but clay stop-animation speed. And bits fell off so easily. And John Ahern, apparently a quality VFL recruit. Anyone ever heard of him?
Glenelg: So many to choose from - from Steve "Squirrel grip" Hywood to David "Ha didn't see that one coming did ya" Holst (used car salesman too, but you have to concede his terrific work as a disability advocate). Cornesy of course.
Norwood: Fabulous Phil of course, and continued to be annoying as Sturt coach. Neville Roberts for believing all his own publicity and trying to flog bad furniture. Never forgiven by the Norwood elite for being from Henley High, although they feted him while he kicked (usually undeserved) goals. ;)
Sturt: Rick Davies (after the 76 GF can you blame me?). There was something annoying about the Gerry Anderson-inspired Jim Derrington too. Klomp, Nunan, Bagshaw, all gave me nightmares as an impressionable youngster.
North: Too many there too, most have been mentioned. Let's unlock the memory vault and bring out Darryl Webb.
Centrals: John Duckworth surely. Geoff "The Model" Gillies. Even Centrals supporters hated him. Spog Wylie was a bit fiery too.
South: Hard to think of any from South. Stuey Palmer for his hair, Ron Hately for being the archetypal scrawny wingman ranga, Geoff 'Banger' Baynes for being Geoff Baynes.
Torrens: Torrens had a few annoying guys, but they were mostly their supporters. Usually it was some Vic recruit like Jeff Sarau, altho he did introduce the term bum-sniffing bargehead into my vocabulary when he wrote about rugby players in his weekly Footy Times column. Of course Neville Roberts who carried his aura to Norwood. And Bruce Lindsay when he was the schoolboy glam player.
Woodville: Everyone's second favourite team. who there to dislike at Woodville? Ian Dettman tried to be a tough guy, but usually that routine lost them games. You even had to love Buff Tyrell for giving them that ever-lasting moment of glory against Port.
West Adelaide: Barely registered on the radar except for a couple of years. Ian Verrier for coming to Port? Bruce Lindner was a pose, but in a lairy, likeable way - he probably annoyed everyone, including teammates. Troy Gray was easily distracted. Like Torrens, with Westies it was usually some Vic recruit, but there were so many.

Port - Alfy Steed, massive w***er on and off the field(tried to head-butt a mate of mine at a night club for no reason. My mate's a one eyed Port supporter as well.)
Darryl Poole -Sniper (though a really good bloke off the field)
Stephen Carter - The worst on the field, couldn't stand him. But a good bloke off the field.
Steven Knight
Glenelg - The Stringers -dirty
Scott Salisbury - dirty
Peter Carey - only because I think he was the one that blinded Greg Edwards. But a fantastic player.
Grima - I'm a sore loser and wish he was playing for the dogs
Norwood- Brenton Klaebe (spelling?)
Aish
and McIntosh: even though he was the goaly for Australia in International Rules and great in State Games. He did too many acts of thuggery.
Craig Balme- King hit Chopper Handley and split the pallet of his mouth open.
John Hall
Roberts
Eagles-Rowston and Williams though they wear white I consider them Eagles
South/Sturt- None really
West - Ron Andrews
North- Simms
Schubert for his hit behind play on Gowans when the game was all over
I think also Jason Roe?
Central - Surjan (for leaving the club)

Legend Macca :thumbsu: (and Scotty ;)).

Five goals in one quarter of a grand final, ended an AFL career before it started and torpedoed a dynasty after 12 months. But oh, the free kicks.:rolleyes::p

Clearly no free to the Bay, hit him in the shoulder at worst, both players going for the ball - I can just as easily say you only see what you want to see. That wouldn't even be a free in today's sanitised game. As for the Hodges free, that talentless hack Hocking just barged into him while Scotty was applying a legitimate tackle to the Bay. Nearly ended the career of one of the great SA full forwards in that moment of utter buffoonery. And it was an obvious free.

ok then no free let it go..but then don´t pull out a soft one IN FRONT of goal 1 second later...be consistent and fair to both teams. If one team has to earn their frees so does the other.

The dominant bogan port crowds always abused and booed umpires off regardless of how good they got it. umpires needed/need to show some balls and not bow down to the massess.

more example of hodges bullshit 1 min to go in a tight match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN07tLKsawM&feature=related

4 minute mark..yeah that was a mark

i wonder what north would of had to do to get a free in the dying minutes of that game when there was a goal in it..

Ah the great umpiring conspiracy. The familiar refrain of the loser.

When the game is tight
And you know we might
Beat the pies this time
The men in white
Hearts black as night
Get Port over the line

Boo hoo sob sob. We feel your pain. :D

Anyway, you feel free to keep scouring youtube for the occasional mark/free you think Hodges shouldn't have been paid and I'll just check over his football records that show 690 goals across his 180 game SANFL career at Port Adelaide, another 100 goals in 38 games for the crows, 1990 Magarey Medal (oh those umpires again), 2 Port Best and Fairests, 7 premierships, 5 Port leading goalkicker awards, 3 Ken Farmer medals (kicked the ton each time, doing it 1996 after coming back from that horrific broken ankle in 1995), SANFL single season goalkicking record (153 in 1990, another premiership), member of Port's Greatest Team and Port and SANFL Hall of Fame member. And I'll wipe away the tear of such great memories with my flannie shirt.

PS what you see in the last few minutes of that North game was the umpires evening up the ride the roosters had in the rest of the game. See how easy that is to say? ;) Anyway the 1989 finals series proved which was the better team. One goal in mind and all that.

When the game is tight
And you know we might
Beat the pies this time
The men in white
Hearts black as night
Get Port over the line

Anyway, you feel free to keep scouring youtube for the occasional mark/free you think Hodges shouldn't have been paid and I'll just check over his football records that show 690 goals across his 180 game SANFL career at Port Adelaide, another 100 goals in 38 games for the crows, 1990 Magarey Medal (oh those umpires again), 2 Port Best and Fairests, 7 premierships, 5 Port leading goalkicker awards, 3 Ken Farmer medals (kicked the ton each time, doing it 1996 after coming back from that horrific broken ankle in 1995), SANFL single season goalkicking record (153 in 1990, another premiership), member of Port's Greatest Team and Port and SANFL Hall of Fame member. And I'll wipe away the tear of such great memories with my flannie shirt.

PS what you see in the last few minutes of that North game was the umpires evening up the ride the roosters had in the rest of the game. See how easy that is to say? ;) Anyway the 1989 finals series proved which was the better team. One goal in mind and all that.

sure port were the best side in 91..not denying that either

and did i ever deny hodges wasnt a good player or nominate him as a tosser...no

i just call it as i see it and i was simply just backing up what someone else said about unwarranted frees... and those 2 examples just back that up. they are both laughable dicisions. one in front of goal the other with a minute to go with a kick in it which could of changed the result..lmao

also just wondering has a side EVER (pre-afl) got a free kick in front of goal AGAINST port in the dying minutes of a match when there is a kick in it. i would highly doubt it..umpires were too piss weak. yet any chance when the shoes on the opposite foot no worries...keep the abusive masses happy.

For a melbournite who barracks for Carlton, you sure know - or think you know - a lot about the SANFL. Are you originally from SA? I remember in the 96 Prelim thread a year or so ago you saying that you only heard all this from 2nd hand sources? If thats true, and its all 2nd hand, how can you be anywhere near sure what youre being told is true?

So thats one free kick and one mark (and yes, it was a mark) paid in 5 minutes of YouTube footage which gives you the conclusion that Port and Hodges 'bullshit' as you say. Fact is, Scotty didnt recieve a whole lot of free kicks. He didnt need them. He was usually a pace in front on the lead anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the game is tight
And you know we might
Beat the pies this time
The men in white
Hearts black as night
Get Port over the line

Hodges was a gun, and as a Bays man loved to hate him. The only downside is that he'll be remembered as an SANFL legend and a bloke who couldnt take the next step up to AFL.

Hodges was a gun, and as a Bays man loved to hate him. The only downside is that he'll be remembered as an SANFL legend and a bloke who couldnt take the next step up to AFL.

Exactly, was out-gunned by Modra and went back to the SANFL to be a big fish again.

Exactly, was out-gunned by Modra and went back to the SANFL to be a big fish again.

It's simply not the case. He was happy to work with Modra in a two-pronged forward line that should have seen the crows through to the 93 GF but for a monumental choke in the PF, exacerbated by Cornes's brilliant tactical mind seeing the need to break up the partnership during a game that he thought was won.

Scott got sick of the politics at the crows in the early days and went back to play football at the club he loved and actually enjoyed the game.

As for his Power career, his body was pretty much shot at AFL level by then.

For a melbournite who barracks for Carlton, you sure know - or think you know - a lot about the SANFL. Are you originally from SA? I remember in the 96 Prelim thread a year or so ago you saying that you only heard all this from 2nd hand sources? If thats true, and its all 2nd hand, how can you be anywhere near sure what youre being told is true?

So thats one free kick and one mark (and yes, it was a mark) paid in 5 minutes of YouTube footage which gives you the conclusion that Port and Hodges 'bullshit' as you say. Fact is, Scotty didnt recieve a whole lot of free kicks. He didnt need them. He was usually a pace in front on the lead anyway.

Macca, many years ago I, being a Port hater of long and distinguished standing, went through hundreds of Sunday mails, or Monday Advertisers to check if Port did in fact get more frees than other sides.

From memory it wasn't so much that Port got more frees, it was that Port got bugger all frees paid against them I then sat down with a gentleman by the name of Barrie Robran and he agreed that the umps , in his opinion were loathe to pay frees against Port.

As you can see I am bitter and twisted when it comes to all things Port.

Macca, many years ago I, being a Port hater of long and distinguished standing, went through hundreds of Sunday mails, or Monday Advertisers to check if Port did in fact get more frees than other sides.

From memory it wasn't so much that Port got more frees, it was that Port got bugger all frees paid against them I then sat down with a gentleman by the name of Barrie Robran and he agreed that the umps , in his opinion were loathe to pay frees against Port.

As you can see I am bitter and twisted when it comes to all things Port.

Couldn't have been many frees paid in Port games going by that logic....

And I sat down many years ago with a gentleman by the name of Des Foster who admitted to barracking for Sturt (although he had played for South) and hating Port with a passion.

What does that prove?

Nothing much like Barrie Robrans opinion.

Couldn't have been many frees paid in Port games going by that logic....

And I sat down many years ago with a gentleman by the name of Des Foster who admitted to barracking for Sturt (although he had played for South) and hating Port with a passion.

What does that prove?

Nothing much like Barrie Robrans opinion.

Typical, Port supporter sitting down with the umpires. Give me Barrie Robrans' opinion any day.

What I was saying ( badly ) re. free totals is that Port weren't necesarily paid a lot of frees, oppostion were paid very little.

As for Foster hating Port, I reckon there were other umps, who were card carrying members.

Typical, Port supporter sitting down with the umpires. Give me Barrie Robrans' opinion any day.

What I was saying ( badly ) re. free totals is that Port weren't necesarily paid a lot of frees, oppostion were paid very little.

As for Foster hating Port, I reckon there were other umps, who were card carrying members.

I thought it was polite to say hello as he was the host at his sons birthday........

He also thought One Nut Bagshaw was better than Robran and Ebert.

Now hows that for one eyed.

I thought it was polite to say hello as he was the host at his sons birthday........

He also thought One Nut Bagshaw was better than Robran and Ebert.

Now hows that for one eyed.

Just on Foster, wasn't he the ump that paid that very iffy free to Gallagher, that helped knock off Sturt in a GF?

I suppose it's OK to talk to an ump under the conditions you outlined. Sure you didn't seek him out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back