Scary/shocking Experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

In western Australia born and raised on the playground was where I spent most of my days, Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and all kicking some sherrins outside of the school when a couple of guys who were up to no good started making trouble in my neighborhood, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Melbourne'.

I had basically the same thing happen to me but replace 'f**' with 'straight white guy' and '12 or so onto three' with '10 or so lebs onto one'.

Happened at McDonalds in Noble Park and they stole my NY hat and double quarter pounder with cheese.

Disgusting....

I know of two guys who had the same experience and were hospitalised.

Guy 1 was bashed by a gang for being gay around the time of the sydney gay mardigras one year. He sustained horrific head injuries.

Guy 2 was bashed by a gang, just because, and was hospitalised and now suffers epileptic seizures.

Guys who hunt in packs to inflict pain and injury onto others, whether it be sexual assult or bashings are the lowest of the low.

Driving from Guatemala to Belize I got stopped on the side of the dirt track by some big men with very big guns. I pretty much thought I was done but in the end two of them wanted a lift back to the border.

I have always wondered if they where there for protection (as the locals where stringing up tourists at the time) or they just needed a lift home.

Few debatable phrases in that one Jafa.

Define:
- Dirt track, and
- Big guns

When I was in the navy I was posted up to Cairns. Whilst living there, I played in one of the local cricket comps. We are playing out at Edmonton one day and it had been pissing rain overnight and that morning, the outfield was a bit wet, it was a one day game. I was an opening bowler and was to bowl the second over.

For the first over, I was fielding down at 3rd man and as it was still drizzling and thundering a bit, I was right on the boundary under the canopy of a massive paperbark tree. With the first over completed, I jogged up to start bowling. I had pre marked my run up so grabbed the ball, waited for the fielders to get set and then trundled in. First ball, dot through to the keeper, I followed through and then turned to walk back to my mark. As I was walking back the ball was getting tossed around the fielders and back up to the mid on fieldsman, Mick Khan who had a long beard and really long hair. We look at each other and as he is tossing the ball to me from 2 metres away, there's a massive crack like a 5 inch gun being fired. Mick's hair stands on end, there's electricity coming out of his eyes, nose and mouth and his hair and beard is smoking like crazy and crackling with electricity. At the same time I can see the ends of the electrical tendrils coming out of my head, I can feel my mouth crackling and feel my hair burning. It went through everyone that was out on the ground, the farthest being about 150m away from the lightning strike. The batsman at the non-strikers end was actually thrown into the air.

We all looked at each other, didn't say a word and then bolted off the ground. The lightning struck the paperbark tree that I had been standing under less than a minute beforehand, it was reduced to a smouldering stump, like a used match. The rest of the tree had basically been disintegrated, there was nothing else of it left.

I still have the Gordonvale Times newspaper from the week afterwards, we were on the front and back covers. It was in the '96/'97 season I think or else it was the one before.

I lived in Fairfield 10 years ago in a block of flats that was in a U-shape running down the left side of the block. My flat was at the end, against the back fence, on the ground level. One evening - during the week - I went outside for a quick dar and went down the side of the flat for some reason. This guy appeared from the back off my flat (a narrow area between the back of my flat and the back fence) and walked right past me saying something about having a piss. He kept walking through the car park and got in his car and buggered off. I have no idea what he was doing there.

When I was in the navy I was posted up to Cairns. Whilst living there, I played in one of the local cricket comps. We are playing out at Edmonton one day and it had been pissing rain overnight and that morning, the outfield was a bit wet, it was a one day game. I was an opening bowler and was to bowl the second over.

For the first over, I was fielding down at 3rd man and as it was still drizzling and thundering a bit, I was right on the boundary under the canopy of a massive paperbark tree. With the first over completed, I jogged up to start bowling. I had pre marked my run up so grabbed the ball, waited for the fielders to get set and then trundled in. First ball, dot through to the keeper, I followed through and then turned to walk back to my mark. As I was walking back the ball was getting tossed around the fielders and back up to the mid on fieldsman, Mick Khan who had a long beard and really long hair. We look at each other and as he is tossing the ball to me from 2 metres away, there's a massive crack like a 5 inch gun being fired. Mick's hair stands on end, there's electricity coming out of his eyes, nose and mouth and his hair and beard is smoking like crazy and crackling with electricity. At the same time I can see the ends of the electrical tendrils coming out of my head, I can feel my mouth crackling and feel my hair burning. It went through everyone that was out on the ground, the farthest being about 150m away from the lightning strike. The batsman at the non-strikers end was actually thrown into the air.

We all looked at each other, didn't say a word and then bolted off the ground. The lightning struck the paperbark tree that I had been standing under less than a minute beforehand, it was reduced to a smouldering stump, like a used match. The rest of the tree had basically been disintegrated, there was nothing else of it left.

I still have the Gordonvale Times newspaper from the week afterwards, we were on the front and back covers. It was in the '96/'97 season I think or else it was the one before.
Shocking story!

That's ******* crazy. Did anybody suffer any long term/permanent injuries? Holy s**t.

That's ******* crazy. Did anybody suffer any long term/permanent injuries? Holy s**t.

Dunno, not that I know of. It was why I had a bit of a chuckle for the GWS v Sydney Rd 1 game when they came off for the extended 1/4 time break as the storm was passing over and a few on these boards were telling them to harden up.

At the time when it happened to us, the captain of our team who had lived in Cairns all of his life said that it was very rare for a thunderstorm there. Plenty of rain (I think we had 6.5m that year) but rarely thunderstorms.

When I've got time, I've got another one from my time in Cairns although we were actually at sea on a patrol boat and it happened up off the Kimberley Coast. Thought I was going to die numerous times in one night and then spent the night, 2 nights later with Billy Thorpe and his band drinking and telling stories at the Nippon Club in Broome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 20 years ago I was living in a two story townhouse on my own. I was upstairs in my room reading a book when the phone rang. I went downstairs and answered it but there was no one on the other end of the line. I went back upstairs and started reading again.
Two minutes later the phone started ringing again, so I headed downstairs and picked it up, once again there was no one on the other end. Getting sick of walking down the stairs I picked up the phone and stuck through the back of the stairs near the top which was as far as the lead would allow so that I only had to go down about two or three stairs to get it. I went back to reading.
Two minutes later the phone rang again. I for up and went to the top of the stairs and picked up the phone. Nothing.
By this stage I had well and truly had enough so I left the receiver off so that it wouldn't ring again.
Two minutes or so later whilst I was back to reading in my room. The ******* thing rang again. This is about the time I started to freak out a little. I got up, went to the stairs and the receiver was back on the phone. I picked it up knowing that there would be no one on the other end. Now I was rattled. I headed back downstairs and reached through the stairs to out the phone back where it belonged all the while trying to work out what was happening, I headed towards the kitchen when all of a sudden my best mate jumped out from the laundry and yelled out, scaring the absolute s**t out of me. He had come into the townhouse and made the phone ring itself and then would duck into the laundry waiting for me to answer,

BASTARD!!!!

he he a mate of mine pulled the same trick on me last week while I was in a bit out of it. He made my house phone ring then answered "Yeah this is (my name) who's asking? ..... Detective sergeant what? ... Well maybe I stole it and maybe I didn't, try and prove it in court you ****** pig. I DARE YOU" As I stared at him through a chemical induced haze it was a scaryy and confusing time

wow, that was shocking, man...

Was camping along the Great Ocean Road when the Ash Wednesday bushfires struck in 1983. Nobody could get out of the place, so we were all ordered by firies to go down to the local beach, stand in the water at chest height, and wear helmets. Scary stuff just standing there and watching two towns go up in towering, red flames; pieces of tin from house rooves, sometimes several metres by several metres, came flying onto the beach and parked cars were hurtled down the road adjacent to the beach.

It wasn't very long before the fire burnt out the town and moved on (about 20 minutes or so), but certainly something I don't want to have to experience again.

Also had a couple of fires get very close to a bush property I used to live on near Bairnsdale (we're talking a matter of 5km, sometimes less).

Tonight I received a death threat from a client. I don't make a lot of money, I do what I do because I get genuine enjoyment out of it. Now for me this isn't an uncommon occurrence - I work with people who suffer mental illness, and in some cases quite severe. I've been threatened before, and I'll be threatened again.

I guess the 'shocking' experience is that you just don't know. You just don't know if that one threat was a serious threat, and not just an empty threat like the many you've heard before. In tonight's circumstance, I was told he was going to go get a gun and be back in 10 minutes to shoot me. Now, like every other time, I take a few seconds to process what's been said, take a few deep breaths and continue working. However, it is certainly at the back of my mind for that next half an hour or so - one day they might come back.

I guess that's just part of the job.

Disgusting....

I know of two guys who had the same experience and were hospitalised.

Guy 1 was bashed by a gang for being gay around the time of the sydney gay mardigras one year. He sustained horrific head injuries.

Guy 2 was bashed by a gang, just because, and was hospitalised and now suffers epileptic seizures.

Guys who hunt in packs to inflict pain and injury onto others, whether it be sexual assult or bashings are the lowest of the low.

Had a situation outside Maccas late one night years ago. Was there with my gf (now wife) and a guy we know, but not very well (thru friends) was there. He's gay, and there were a group of really pissed guys (maybe 8) around him calling him f**, asking him if he prefers to give or take it, getting increasingly hostile and aggro towards him, right in his face. I was stressing because I thought I was likely to get involved here (he was looking to us for support/help), then suddenly my gf grabs his hand, calm as, and says really loud "come on hun, let's go" and pulls him out of the middle of them. The three of us walked (quickly) to my car and drove off.

Was camping along the Great Ocean Road when the Ash Wednesday bushfires struck in 1983. Nobody could get out of the place, so we were all ordered by firies to go down to the local beach, stand in the water at chest height, and wear helmets. Scary stuff just standing there and watching two towns go up in towering, red flames; pieces of tin from house rooves, sometimes several metres by several metres, came flying onto the beach and parked cars were hurtled down the road adjacent to the beach.

It wasn't very long before the fire burnt out the town and moved on (about 20 minutes or so), but certainly something I don't want to have to experience again.

Also had a couple of fires get very close to a bush property I used to live on near Bairnsdale (we're talking a matter of 5km, sometimes less).

The day before Ash Wednesday I was in high school doing woodwork. We were outside polishing some tables that we'd made. We looked up in the sky and it was just a wall of blackness descending on us. Our teacher screamed for us to get inside. We left everything where it was and bolted back into the classroom. The dust storm hit us and it was like midnight at midday. A lot of the teachers at the school lived down at Anglesea. A lot of them lost their homes.

Even though there were a lot of deaths in both Victoria and South Australia, I really think that Victoria dodged an even bigger bullet with those fires. In those days, a lot of houses were unoccupied holiday houses and the fires struck after the holidays on a working day.

When my wife were living in Canberra, the bush capital, a fire roared past our place one Christmas Eve. It arrived so quickly and with no warning. We lived on the navy base about 50m back from Canberra Ave out near Queanbeyan. Between us and Canberra Ave was a strip of gum trees and poplars, it took out the whole lot of the way through.

When the big fires hit a few years later, destroying 4 or 500 homes, a friend of mine was trapped, she sent me a photo from her back porch looking out over her back fence, it was black, the only light was the 20m high flames at her back fence. Terrifying. The flames didn't come any closer to her.

The day before Ash Wednesday I was in high school doing woodwork. We were outside polishing some tables that we'd made. We looked up in the sky and it was just a wall of blackness descending on us. Our teacher screamed for us to get inside. We left everything where it was and bolted back into the classroom. The dust storm hit us and it was like midnight at midday. A lot of the teachers at the school lived down at Anglesea. A lot of them lost their homes.

Even though there were a lot of deaths in both Victoria and South Australia, I really think that Victoria dodged an even bigger bullet with those fires. In those days, a lot of houses were unoccupied holiday houses and the fires struck after the holidays on a working day.

When my wife were living in Canberra, the bush capital, a fire roared past our place one Christmas Eve. It arrived so quickly and with no warning. We lived on the navy base about 50m back from Canberra Ave out near Queanbeyan. Between us and Canberra Ave was a strip of gum trees and poplars, it took out the whole lot of the way through.

When the big fires hit a few years later, destroying 4 or 500 homes, a friend of mine was trapped, she sent me a photo from her back porch looking out over her back fence, it was black, the only light was the 20m high flames at her back fence. Terrifying. The flames didn't come any closer to her.

Ah, that dust storm! Just reminded me of another scary experience. Was driving down the freeway to Geelong when it hit and just about had a coronary. Visibility dropped to nothing and everyone slammed on their brakes at 100 km/h. Not much fun being stuck on the side of the road forever whilst we waited for it to clear! (once 1-2 hours had passed we'd had enough and decided to turn around for Werribee)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back