Analysis School and SANFL Juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's tragic.
From personal experience, I went to a fairly strong footy school in Norwood High back in the day,where up to a third(at times) of the NFC junior reps were from the same school.Far more than PAC or any other local College. None of my Coaches or coaching group where school staff over that period, yet there was a huge amount of school pride associated with both footy and soccer.
Having Coached at school level from Auskick up to 7s it was like plucking hens teeth to find cooperation from the School for anything footy related past Auskick. This had little to do with any extracurricular involvement from any staff, moreso zero emphasis or care toward anything sport related from the top down. I don't think this is as hard a fix as it sounds, and I'm sure a modicum of cooperation,emphasis,direction and pride in sporting achievement from the higher ups, whilst not actively thwarting any Parent driven efforts would be all it took.

Im guessing many kids are being overlooked, under trained and slipping through the cracks because school footy is in such a state and Club footy in S.A just not being the attractive scouting ground that it once was?

In saying all that, there seems to be a shift from education institutions placing emphasis on the pure basics of education let alone sport, so maybe Sport is way too far gone. But hey, so long as you can pour a good cappuccino after 12yrs of education, what's to complain about.
Phoenix Spicer had to transfer and do his year 12 at Henley because we have absolutely zip support for football. Sad to witness working in a public school, as I do remember the pride and competitiveness when I was playing for my school back in the 90s.

CBC - Tom Scully.

Would be going into Year 12 I believe, will be interesting to see how he tracks this year in all competitions. It probably is a shame he doesn't play for a Div 1 college because that is where you see a majority of the best talent and you would also see how he stacks up against them. Will be interesting never the less.
A few Div 2 schools have a few good stars, Anyone aware of Saint Ignatius College??

Who are you guys playing on Saturday?

Detailed match report please :)
1's and 2's both play CBC at home, Both times started slow in the season having not won a game yet. Saint Ignatius did beat Pultney grammar in a the Aish-Warhurst shield game pre round 1. No Holt this week because of his state selection. But Captain Max Kelly returns

Sean Taskers son apparently goes alright, plays for PAC and North. Unfortunately not a father son
The best father/sons coming through with an Adelaide connection are the Camporeale twins ...Carlton look like getting 2 in the one year in a couple of years.

Scully playing school footy for CBC and not national champs this weekend

Does CBC have a special game on this weekend ? Maybe SA are just rotating talls as they have so many

1's and 2's both play CBC at home, Both times started slow in the season having not won a game yet. Saint Ignatius did beat Pultney grammar in a the Aish-Warhurst shield game pre round 1. No Holt this week because of his state selection. But Captain Max Kelly returns
Good little player Max but too talented a cricketer now. Selected in the SACA U19 winter squad.

The best father/sons coming through with an Adelaide connection are the Camporeale twins ...Carlton look like getting 2 in the one year in a couple of years.
Now I saw these boys play earlier this year. Very lightly built and They get a lot of football on their lonesome. Have you seen much of them? I didn’t see much of a contested side. You might have seen more than me though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FEATURE: Time for a revolution says Matildas legend

By Janakan Seemampillai

Matildas’ legend Joey Peters is excited that Football Australia (FA) has appointed Ernie Merrick as Chief Football Officer, firmly believing now is the time to make the change Australian football desperately needs.

Peters is part of FA’s ‘Starting XI’, which is a group of former footballers and coaches who have been charged with evolving the development of the game in Australia.

“I’m putting together a submission via the Starting XI, from everything I have learned and done, for Ernie and the crew on new ‘Playing Formats’ and ‘Coaching Guidelines’ for kids through to youth and probs even young adults,” explained Peters, widely regarded as one of our most technically gifted and intelligent footballers, who is also an industry leader in child development.

“I’m not holding back, it’s a revolution. I wanted to give it one last hoorah of everything I would do and be the actual world leader in it, not just talk about it.

“I want to take it further than what the Dutch, Belgians and Germans are doing.

“And the thing is it would be easier than the jungle we have now, the only thing stopping it is adult ego.

“Everyone resists change, but I’m hoping Covid might help people see that change is possible and necessary.

“My main aims are retention and delaying adult football.”

Peters, who played 110 times for Australia and was the first Australian to play in South America, is one of the most outspoken former footballers on the need for change to our coaching curriculum.

While her ideas are left field, they have often been proven vindicated, with a number of top footballing nations implementing programs similar to her views.

Peters firmly believes the best young footballers need to stay in the game longer, to allow the best to rise through the ranks.

“If we have more kids staying in the game - currently 70% drop out by 13 world wide in all sports - and delay 11v11 and team performance and winning focus for coaches as long as possible, the cream rises,” she said.

“The biggest reason youth drop out is because it’s not fun anymore, and give coaching and too much commitment as reasons.

“So my recommendations address that giving choice of committment and…wait for it… no team coaches until senior youth (16-17s).”

While Peters’ thoughts often reflect those of great footballers of yesteryear, many who lament the over coaching of young footballers, her views are likely to fall on deaf ears with coaching licences and ‘elite’ programs a major source of revenue for FA and other key stakeholders.

But Peters argues this will be counteracted by developing high quality footballers who can be sold on the worldwide market, a key part of FA’s well publicised strategy.

“Well, I was thinking, the biggest money maker is in the multi-billion dollar player transfer market, that’s what the FA wants into, and this will get you there, if you want pennies keep doing what your doing,” explained Peters.

“Belgium has proved this works. 20 years ago they started their revolution and are top now. And it’s actually less stress on clubs, less need for volunteers, actually an enjoyable experience for all.

“Belgium stated how it transformed parent behaviour as well, after initial skepticism of course.”

She also states that clubs can reduce costs and consequently charge parents less if they implement this strategy, rather than justify large registration fees by selling themselves as having licenced coaches and elite programs.

“Probably the biggest cost and time in this new idea is setting up all the goals, since there’s so many more small fields, but Belgium values it so much they made a customised goal,” she said.

“Germany values it so much they made SSG Air pitches costing 100k each. They don’t care about updating toilets or change rooms, they are to focused on developing and retention of players.”

Peters believes putting the responsibility on players to think for themselves and work things out, is the key to developing footballers who can compete on the world stage.

“Instead the focus is on the individual, with sessions and matches having ‘Game Leaders’, who oversee match times, and make any changes needed. The key is being flexible with teams so you dont get scoreline blowouts and players get even game time. Yes that means no referees too.

“The delay to adult football is the game changer. People currently think quicker, earlier, more, but it’s damaging in so many ways. And it’s actually the focus on team performance where the individual gets lost.

“My revolution means each kid has a real chance of reaching potential and being protected doing it. The Dutch call it ‘Everyone’s a Star’, it means valuing every kid.

“Who knows who’s going to be the best player until we are well into pubity. By the time they reach 16 they are primed and hungry to compete.

“Salisbury Rovers in England is probably the closest club to this that I know of, they didn’t start in a formal competition until 15 and already at 16 and 17, their kids are sought after.”

Peters’ views have been backed by extensive research and evidence, which she will undoubtedly present as part of her submission.

Whether her ideas are implemented remains to be seen, though it is likely to cause much debate.

By Janakan Seemampillai

Matildas’ legend Joey Peters is excited that Football Australia (FA) has appointed Ernie Merrick as Chief Football Officer, firmly believing now is the time to make the change Australian football desperately needs.

Peters is part of FA’s ‘Starting XI’, which is a group of former footballers and coaches who have been charged with evolving the development of the game in Australia.

“I’m putting together a submission via the Starting XI, from everything I have learned and done, for Ernie and the crew on new ‘Playing Formats’ and ‘Coaching Guidelines’ for kids through to youth and probs even young adults,” explained Peters, widely regarded as one of our most technically gifted and intelligent footballers, who is also an industry leader in child development.

“I’m not holding back, it’s a revolution. I wanted to give it one last hoorah of everything I would do and be the actual world leader in it, not just talk about it.

“And the thing is it would be easier than the jungle we have now, the only thing stopping it is adult ego.

“Everyone resists change, but I’m hoping Covid might help people see that change is possible and necessary.

Peters, who played 110 times for Australia and was the first Australian to play in South America, is one of the most outspoken former footballers on the need for change to our coaching curriculum.

While her ideas are left field, they have often been proven vindicated, with a number of top footballing nations implementing programs similar to her views.

Peters firmly believes the best young footballers need to stay in the game longer, to allow the best to rise through the ranks.

“If we have more kids staying in the game - currently 70% drop out by 13 world wide in all sports - and delay 11v11 and team performance and winning focus for coaches as long as possible, the cream rises,” she said.

“The biggest reason youth drop out is because it’s not fun anymore, and give coaching and too much commitment as reasons.

“So my recommendations address that giving choice of committment and…wait for it… no team coaches until senior youth (16-17s).”

While Peters’ thoughts often reflect those of great footballers of yesteryear, many who lament the over coaching of young footballers, her views are likely to fall on deaf ears with coaching licences and ‘elite’ programs a major source of revenue for FA and other key stakeholders.

But Peters argues this will be counteracted by developing high quality footballers who can be sold on the worldwide market, a key part of FA’s well publicised strategy.

“Well, I was thinking, the biggest money maker is in the multi-billion dollar player transfer market, that’s what the FA wants into, and this will get you there, if you want pennies keep doing what your doing,” explained Peters.

“Belgium has proved this works. 20 years ago they started their revolution and are top now. And it’s actually less stress on clubs, less need for volunteers, actually an enjoyable experience for all.

“Belgium stated how it transformed parent behaviour as well, after initial skepticism of course.”

She also states that clubs can reduce costs and consequently charge parents less if they implement this strategy, rather than justify large registration fees by selling themselves as having licenced coaches and elite programs.

“Probably the biggest cost and time in this new idea is setting up all the goals, since there’s so many more small fields, but Belgium values it so much they made a customised goal,” she said.

“Germany values it so much they made SSG Air pitches costing 100k each. They don’t care about updating toilets or change rooms, they are to focused on developing and retention of players.”

Peters believes putting the responsibility on players to think for themselves and work things out, is the key to developing footballers who can compete on the world stage.

“Instead the focus is on the individual, with sessions and matches having ‘Game Leaders’, who oversee match times, and make any changes needed. The key is being flexible with teams so you dont get scoreline blowouts and players get even game time. Yes that means no referees too.

“The delay to adult football is the game changer. People currently think quicker, earlier, more, but it’s damaging in so many ways. And it’s actually the focus on team performance where the individual gets lost.

“My revolution means each kid has a real chance of reaching potential and being protected doing it. The Dutch call it ‘Everyone’s a Star’, it means valuing every kid.

“Who knows who’s going to be the best player until we are well into pubity. By the time they reach 16 they are primed and hungry to compete.

“Salisbury Rovers in England is probably the closest club to this that I know of, they didn’t start in a formal competition until 15 and already at 16 and 17, their kids are sought after.”

Peters’ views have been backed by extensive research and evidence, which she will undoubtedly present as part of her submission.

Whether her ideas are implemented remains to be seen, though it is likely to cause much debate.
Interesting read. With two kids playing junior soccer, I must admit that I’d love to see 4v4, or 6v6 played on smaller pitches with no keepers up to at least Under 13s. Emphasis shouldn’t be on winning but on Ted Lasso-esque positivity and focus on ball control, passing and having fun trying out new skills. All players rotate through different positions getting as many touches of the ball each game has to benefit player development long term.

No set coaches would be a great idea too, placing the responsibility on different parents on a rotating basis. I’d wager you would see a drastic reduction in shitty parental behaviour if everyone’s required to be involved more and mandated by the clubs/association to be positive and encouraging to all kids, regardless of skill level.

There’s plenty of time for kids to play sport seriously, but only after 10 years of having fun with it as a junior…

Interesting read. With two kids playing junior soccer, I must admit that I’d love to see 4v4, or 6v6 played on smaller pitches with no keepers up to at least Under 13s. Emphasis shouldn’t be on winning but on Ted Lasso-esque positivity and focus on ball control, passing and having fun trying out new skills. All players rotate through different positions getting as many touches of the ball each game has to benefit player development long term.

No set coaches would be a great idea too, placing the responsibility on different parents on a rotating basis. I’d wager you would see a drastic reduction in shitty parental behaviour if everyone’s required to be involved more and mandated by the clubs/association to be positive and encouraging to all kids, regardless of skill level.

There’s plenty of time for kids to play sport seriously, but only after 10 years of having fun with it as a junior…
Yeah it's an interesting one

Kids will play any sport at lunchtime at school - footy, soccer, cricket, basketball - and it all runs fine. No coaches, no set rules except what they make up and officiate themselves, no umpires, no coaches, no draw, no premiership table, no uniforms, sort their own teams etc.

Ian Chappell said once that kids should either have a good coach, or no coach.

Brazil produces amazing soccer players not because of elite coaching from the very youngest age levels, but because their kids play soccer every minute of the day on every scrap of space they can find, 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v 3 from as soon as they can walk. Then coaching gets added later to their self taught foundation of skills when they got older & identified. Discovery learning.

Since screen time has taken over though it seems as though the only sport lots of kids do is in their formal practice/match time. Less informal play.

Interesting article thank you. As someone who follows young footy players pretty closely I couldn’t agree more. Let me give you an example

All the SANFL clubs run U13/U14 development squads. They play 5 games. U13 is a bit of fun. U14 is where the problem is as I see it. All clubs run a select group of U15 kids in their U16 sides. Now the U16 kids will start a pre season in late Nov or early Dec of say 2022. This means that the select kids who will be U15 in the 2023 season are picked from 2022 U14 crop. Hope that makes sense.

What you have is 13 turning 14 year olds joining pre season of an U16 squad almost straight after their U14 season with hardly a break. The kids are drilled that the invitation to U16 pre season is based on their U14 performance. That’s horrible pressure on a young kid to feel like they’ll miss the boat at 14.

I’ve seen this causing a lot of stress. The 13/14 programs are here to stay because they are big $$$ spinners. 2 squads of about 30 all paying anywhere from $3-400 for 5 trial games. Times that by 2 now that you have the girls. Footy has finally woken up to what soccer and cricket have been doing for years. Lots of $$$ to be made from little kids dreams.

I don’t like it at all and would like those squads rubbed out. Just play for school or local club until U16. But not a chance SANFL clubs will kiss goodbye to $30-50,000 now that it’s established revenue.

By Janakan Seemampillai

I've just seen this.
A real thought provoking topic.
Thanks for posting.
There are lots of different angles that could be looked at.

Even the no scoreboard in junior footy causes great debate

I've just seen this.
A real thought provoking topic.
Thanks for posting.
There are lots of different angles that could be looked at.

Even the no scoreboard in junior footy causes great debate
Yes interesting one the scoreboard. My grands and their friends could do their 6 x tables by about U8. So they all knew the score.

I think for me the problem is this. The junior pathways have now been extended so as to include very young kids. And dare I say it’s a $ making venture.

Kids dont need to be bothered with the stress of pathways until about 16.

Yes interesting one the scoreboard. My grands and their friends could do their 6 x tables by about U8. So they all knew the score.

I think for me the problem is this. The junior pathways have now been extended so as to include very young kids. And dare I say it’s a $ making venture.

Kids dont need to be bothered with the stress of pathways until about 16.
Again, speaking from a soccer perspective, while scoring goals and winning is fun - and, yes, ultimately the point of the game long term - the idea that it is the be all and end all hampers kids development in a major way.

Too often in junior soccer, where offside isn’t enforced, you see some teams simply park a striker or two next to the goalie and when they win possession they bomb it long and try to score that way. No retaining possession. No passing. No dribbling into space and drawing players towards them before offloading. No movement off the ball to create space. Just bomb it long and score a goal. It’s actually a very effective way to score goals and win matches, but it does FA for the teams development.

Or you simply have one kid who can dribble well go past multiple players and score all on their own… which is great but ultimately teaches them next to nothing because the moment they come up against good opposition, that ultimately doesn’t work and they’ve failed to develop other parts of their game.

I dunno. It’s tough, but I think everybody in all junior sports needs to step back and look at the big picture. Creating an environment where the largest number of kids play team sports long term, in an environment which helps develop the skills of all involved - and not just the chosen few - surely has to help those sports at an elite level down the track.

I dunno. It’s tough, but I think everybody in all junior sports needs to step back and look at the big picture. Creating an environment where the largest number of kids play team sports long term, in an environment which helps develop the skills of all involved - and not just the chosen few - surely has to help those sports at an elite level down the track.
Agree wholeheartedly

Mind you, any issues we have pale in comparison with the USA:

One of the state’s most successful football schools has resorted to playing interstate games after being unable to test itself against other elite South Australian programs 👉

Henley High School’s open team lost its opportunity to play in the 'SA All Schools Cup' this year after a new college-only finals format was introduced.

One of the state’s most successful football schools has resorted to playing interstate games after being unable to test itself against other elite South Australian programs 👉

Henley High School’s open team lost its opportunity to play in the 'SA All Schools Cup' this year after a new college-only finals format was introduced.
Can’t read the article but it wasn’t really a surprise.

About 3 years ago one of the big footy schools got a very stern warning from a number of the other principal. To the effect they’d be ejected from that comp if the scholarships weren’t scaled back.

The school footy programs are big business now - can’t have it dominated by one team. They’ll be after Sacred Heart soon.

Young Jay Polkinghorne from Far West / Norwood named in the state under 18’s - he came back to play some senior games and a few weeks ago kicked 17 goals against the men in an A grade game. Very balanced great leap great skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back