News Scottie Pippen attending the 2023 AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Why ? If it was Michael Jordan or Larry Bird I could understand but Pippen (who has come across as rather bitter these past few years) seems really strange.

I know next to nothing about basketball and Pippen apart from him being a teammate of MJ's. Please elaborate.

MJ and Netflix did this documentary about the Chicago Bulls final season in 1997/98 titled ”The Last Dance”, a film crew followed the team around back then and the documentary was made (with new interviews) and released in 2021. In it they glorified MJ and Scottie Pippen thought he wasn’t painted in a very good light. I mean he kind of wasn’t lol. Scottie Pippen said some (well, a lot of) s**t about MJ. MJ has remained silent. MJ’s son is dating Scottie Pippen’s ex-wife.

Basically really weird rich person issues.

I'll be that guy who has no idea who this is, I mean I think i heard his name mentioned once before in a Simpsons or Family Guy episode once, but why is anyone paying someone 1.2 million dollars to sit in the crowd at a sporting event?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MJ and Netflix did this documentary about the Chicago Bulls final season in 1997/98 titled ”The Last Dance”, a film crew followed the team around back then and the documentary was made (with new interviews) and released in 2021. In it they glorified MJ and Scottie Pippen thought he wasn’t painted in a very good light. I mean he kind of wasn’t lol. Scottie Pippen said some (well, a lot of) s**t about MJ. MJ has remained silent. MJ’s son is dating Scottie Pippen’s ex-wife.

Basically really weird rich person issues.
Don't know that MJ came out of it looking great either. Editing a teammate (Longley) out of history in order to keep costs down on your own vanity project is a low point for anyone.

Don't know that MJ came out of it looking great either. Editing a teammate (Longley) out of history in order to keep costs down on your own vanity project is a low point for anyone.
I can understand Longley being disappointed, but let's be realistic, no-one outside Australia noticed or cared about the lack of Longley and the series was a masterpiece. I have respect for him as the best ever, but I'm no Jordan fanboi either.

I can understand Longley being disappointed, but let's be realistic, no-one outside Australia noticed or cared about the lack of Longley and the series was a masterpiece. I have respect for him as the best ever, but I'm no Jordan fanboi either.
Thought the series was ok. You do have to question what the point of a documentary is if it doesn't document things.

FWIW I don't think Longley was that disappointed, he wasn't even surprised. That in itself says more about to me MJ than the series did: couldn't care less about anything besides his own personal legacy.

Thought the series was ok. You do have to question what the point of a documentary is if it doesn't document things.

FWIW I don't think Longley was that disappointed, he wasn't even surprised. That in itself says more about to me MJ than the series did: couldn't care less about anything besides his own personal legacy.
Look at the usual review sites, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic etc. - universal acclaim.

And I don't buy this "Jordan's obsessed with his legacy": people who've had a passing interest in his career would know he was an incredible player, obsessively competitive, often an absolute prick to his teammates and others. The documentary series showed tons of examples of him being an incredible basketball player, being obsessively competitive, being a complete prick to people. It wasn't whitewashing anything, as far as I'm concerned; I can't exactly imagine it winning over anyone who didn't already like him.

Look at the usual review sites, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic etc. - universal acclaim.

And I don't buy this "Jordan's obsessed with his legacy": people who've had a passing interest in his career would know he was an incredible player, obsessively competitive, often an absolute prick to his teammates and others. The documentary series showed tons of examples of him being an incredible basketball player, being obsessively competitive, being a complete prick to people. It wasn't whitewashing anything, as far as I'm concerned; I can't exactly imagine it winning over anyone who didn't already like him.

The problem I had with the documentary is it was incredibly underwhelming and not at all what it was billed as.

Before it was released it was hyped as being all about this secret film that was hidden for 20+ years and showed their whole season behind the scenes etc.

It was nothing of the sort. It was just a rewind over the dynasty - slightly entertaining in its own right, but with nothing new at all.

Masterpiece is a stretch, a massive one.
It was a entertainment piece that was controlled by MJ, and his company had the final say over the final edit that aired.
Not really a documentary like they stated it was, more a fluff piece to laud over MJ.

Actually it’s also been heavily criticised. Sure, it was entertaining, but it wasn’t a high quality documentary; it was Jordan vanity project, where he tightly controlled the narrative.

Masterpiece is a stretch, a massive one.
It was a entertainment piece that was controlled by MJ, and his company had the final say over the final edit that aired.
Not really a documentary like they stated it was, more a fluff piece to laud over MJ.
That’s freaky- we typed more or less the exact same thing within seconds of each other lol

Actually it’s also been heavily criticised. Sure, it was entertaining, but it wasn’t a high quality documentary; it was Jordan vanity project, where he tightly controlled the narrative.
In what way? By showing him bullying and humiliating (at length) anyone and everyone from a long-forgotten reserve (Scott Burrell) to the General Manager (Jerry Krause)?

They could have made it all about Make A Wish visits and Jordan the family man, but they didn't. It was Jordan, warts and all. And as far as basketball documentaries go, in the view of critics, it's a whisker behind Hoop Dreams. So yes, a masterpiece.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back