Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

caseman2

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2008
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Season 2017 couldn't be assessed as anything other but successful. Granted, we got blown away in the prelim by the Tigers but when you factor in the injuries to both the Hawthorn and Box Hill list's it was a might effort.

We shouldn't forget in the prelim final the Tiges had 19 listed players compared to our 9.

Looking ahead to season 2018 and no development league, how will this impact Box Hill and what will the list look like? How many players will be on the list?

If anyone (and I am thinking you HH) know what the structure and composition will look like, it would be great to hear.

My one big fear is how many promising players we are going to lose with the abolition of the development league and what incentive there now is for younger players to play at the higher level when all listed Hawthorn players must play Box Hill se niors and the young developing cant ply their trade in the dev league.

Would be great to see senior players Mirra, Moore, Warren and Bull O'Donnell commit go around again and youngsters like Brolic , Kilpatrick and Fisher.

There will be a lot of discussion behind the scenes regarding the best way to set up the club post development league. The issue I cannot get my head around is how do you organize training let alone match practice with only around 20 to 30 non HFC listed/rookie players. Ideally the club would have an affiliate club in the EFA or VAFA however it's unlikely any club would be prepared to give up their entity. It's more likely players will play for the local clubs where they previously played or a new club where they sign on.

A major concern will be the risk of losing the boys coming out of the TAC so I wouldn't be surprised if the age was increased to 20. It disgusts me when I consider the minimal amount it cost to run the development league compared to how much AFL Victoria is throwing into the women's league. Scrapping the development league will have a detrimental impact on the development of boys who are not drafted out of the TAC. The beginning of the demise of the development league started when the VFL did not require the stand alone AFL clubs to field a development team. The nail in the coffin is the feverish push of the AFLW. If you go into the VFL web site today nine of the 10 feature news articles on page one relate to the AFLW. On page two, seven of the 10 articles relate to women's football. If only the development league had 5% of the funding afforded to the AFLW.

There will be a lot of discussion behind the scenes regarding the best way to set up the club post development league. The issue I cannot get my head around is how do you organize training let alone match practice with only around 20 to 30 non HFC listed/rookie players. Ideally the club would have an affiliate club in the EFA or VAFA however it's unlikely any club would be prepared to give up their entity. It's more likely players will play for the local clubs where they previously played or a new club where they sign on.

A major concern will be the risk of losing the boys coming out of the TAC so I wouldn't be surprised if the age was increased to 20. It disgusts me when I consider the minimal amount it cost to run the development league compared to how much AFL Victoria is throwing into the women's league. Scrapping the development league will have a detrimental impact on the development of boys who are not drafted out of the TAC. The beginning of the demise of the development league started when the VFL did not require the stand alone AFL clubs to field a development team. The nail in the coffin is the feverish push of the AFLW. If you go into the VFL web site today nine of the 10 feature news articles on page one relate to the AFLW. On page two, seven of the 10 articles relate to women's football. If only the development league had 5% of the funding afforded to the AFLW.
Yes training is a logistical nightmare

Where's the rationalisation of the VFL heading?

Are Box Hill by 2021 going to be part of an conference / nationwide AFL reserves league?

I could see the 15 or so top up players for each AFL club's reserves becoming an over-20s supplementary list or something, where they train as per VFL commitments now, but the affiliated AFL club can draw upon them as emergency mid-season top ups (something akin to the rookie list elevations with a few extra hurdles) without any ongoing year-on-year commitment or draft rights to them.

Where's the rationalisation of the VFL heading?

Are Box Hill by 2021 going to be part of an conference / nationwide AFL reserves league?

I could see the 15 or so top up players for each AFL club's reserves becoming an over-20s supplementary list or something, where they train as per VFL commitments now, but the affiliated AFL club can draw upon them as emergency mid-season top ups (something akin to the rookie list elevations with a few extra hurdles) without any ongoing year-on-year commitment or draft rights to them.
There are no plans for an AFL reserves league.

"Former Gold Coast Sun, Frankston and Port Melbourne left-footer Leigh Osborne thinking about a return to the VFL. He’s training with Box Hill Hawks."

A very good player when up and going however struggled with the Suns in the NEAFL and was in and out of Ports senior side all year

Sam is a ripper young man and thoroughly deserves to be on an AFL list. His outstanding state game showcased his ability which has been restricted by injury. I hope being a full time footballer will enable him to get his body right and he will have the opportunity to fulfill his potential. I look forward to watching him playing for Freo and wish him all the very best in the future.

Sam is a ripper young man and thoroughly deserves to be on an AFL list. His outstanding state game showcased his ability which has been restricted by injury. I hope being a full time footballer will enable him to get his body right and he will have the opportunity to fulfill his potential. I look forward to watching him playing for Freo and wish him all the very best in the future.

Agree HH - fantastic result and also continues to show Box Hill's ability to produce AFL footballers.
Let's hope Sam Collins get's rookied and I do hold out hope for Anthony Brolic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news about Mirra getting rookied to Hawthorn, almost makes up for losing Switta (almost ;) ).

Agree HH - fantastic result and also continues to show Box Hill's ability to produce AFL footballers.
Let's hope Sam Collins get's rookied and I do hold out hope for Anthony Brolic.

I read that Sam Collins missed out, I wonder if he would come back to Box Hill? How did Brolic go? (I'm afraid I find the draft info on the AFL website very higgledy piggledy and can't easily find what I want).

Great news about Mirra getting rookied to Hawthorn, almost makes up for losing Switta (almost ;) ).

I read that Sam Collins missed out, I wonder if he would come back to Box Hill? How did Brolic go? (I'm afraid I find the draft info on the AFL website very higgledy piggledy and can't easily find what I want).

Joey Fisher accepting his fate as a VFL player now that there's no DL.

Came here to post that too.

Another one bites the dust thanks to the disbandment of the Development League.

moginie
It's a shame, but the senior Box Hill players would be the first casualties.

It will be very interesting to see how we approach recruitment of top up players.

with the loss of the Development side i can see Box Hill struggling as most borderline players will take up Suburban offers.

Lots of AFL list experienced players signing or strongly link to other VFL clubs. Will be interesting to see who BHH covert and if they can sign them.
Somebody commented on his twitter feed that 3 byes are too many. I tend to agree.

Box Hill will mainly be made up of Hawthorn players if everyone is fit. Can't see anyone playing suburban footy if they're on the Hawks list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back