Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the Bombers always request interstate games round 1? Seem to play away from home a lot over the past 10-15 years in the season opener.
5 home games in the past 15 years round 1, but 4 of the last 5 have been home. Plenty of interstate trips over that time, would be 6 or 7 I'd imagine.

I think interstate clubs like to get us over there early, especially the ones who need interest early.

5 home games in the past 15 years round 1, but 4 of the last 5 have been home. Plenty of interstate trips over that time, would be 6 or 7 I'd imagine.

I think interstate clubs like to get us over there early, especially the ones who need interest early.

Makes sense, club might also like to have an away game out of the way early in the season.

Speculation or true?
There's only been a few Good Friday night games scheduled for the last 3 years

2019 - West Coast vs Port Adelaide
2020 - Port Adelaide vs West Coast (Never got played due to covid)
2021 - Adelaide vs Gold Coast

I was looking forward to what looked like a Port v West Coast traditional game being built up for Good Friday night. It made sense. It gave two national clubs a shot at a marquee game for once. It involved two clubs with some recent history worth watching. It didn't involve any Victorian clubs so Melbourne could run that telethon or whatever it was that for ages stopped the rest of the states having any footy, which was a crock of s**t.

Then the second game got cancelled and was one of the few potential marquee games that never got rescheduled the following year. Why can't a game like this be shoehorned into a "tradition" when you can do it with s**t like the oft mentioned first game of the season, ANZAC Day game and the ridiculous "ANZAC Day Eve" game?

Would like to see al Melbourne clubs play home round 1 …

Thursday N
Carlton v Richmond MCG
Friday N
Melbourne v Bulldogs MCG
Saturday
Nth Melb v Saints Marvel
Gold Coast v Giants T
Essendon v Hawks MCG N
Fremantle v Port Adelaide N
Sunday
Swans v Lions SCG
Coll’wood v Geelong MCG
Adelaide v West Coast N

RD.1

Thurs N
Melbourne v Essendon(MCG)

Fri N
Syd v GWS

Sat
St.kilda v North(MVL)
Port v Adel
Coll v Geel N (MCG)
Frem v WCE N

Sun
Haw v Rich (Tas)
Suns v Bris
Carl v WBull (MVL)
Rd.2

Thurs N
GWS v Melb

Fri N
Ess v Syd (MCG)

Sat
North v Frem (Tas)
WBull v Haw (MVL)
Bris v Coll N
Rich v Port N (MCG)

Sun
Geel v St.Kilda (2.10pm)
Adel v Carl
WCE v Suns N (EST)

Ideal Round 1:

Thur
Carlton v Richmond MCG (n)

Fri
Melbourne v Geelong MCG (n) - Melbourne to unfurl the flag against the second oldest club, GF rematch held over for a few rounds in

Sat

St Kilda v North Melbourne MS
Brisbane v West Coast G (t)
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs MCG (n) - keeps this Round 1 tradition going
Port Adelaide v GWS AO (n)

Sun
Sydney v Adelaide SCG
Essendon v Hawthorn MS
Fremantle v Gold Coast

So according to Sam Mcclure it will be Dees vs Dogs Round 1 on the friday night.

I'm not fussed about having the rematch in round 1 in fact I like the idea of it, but why would the AFL waste a guaranteed money-maker and crowd puller in a round that usually always pulls good crowds?

Wouldn't they rather have Melbourne pull 50-60k+ on the Friday then Bulldogs play at Marvel and pull 40k+ or play away at the MCG for 60k+, then have the GF rematch a few rounds later?

So according to Sam Mcclure it will be Dees vs Dogs Round 1 on the friday night.

I'm not fussed about having the rematch in round 1 in fact I like the idea of it, but why would the AFL waste a guaranteed money-maker and crowd puller in a round that usually always pulls good crowds?

Wouldn't they rather have Melbourne pull 50-60k+ on the Friday then Bulldogs play at Marvel and pull 40k+ or play away at the MCG for 60k+, then have the GF rematch a few rounds later?
I assume it'd be due to covid and both Dees and Dogs fans not getting to see them play against each at all last year. There's a possibility it pulls nearly 80 thousand.

I assume it'd be due to covid and both Dees and Dogs fans not getting to see them play against each at all last year. There's a possibility it pulls nearly 80 thousand.
It would probably still pull 70-80k even if it was in round 2,4,5,6 instead.

Plus they'll definitely play each other twice so expect a sold out Marvel as well.

Think this is a good for both team. Removes complacency. I wonder what wce would have been like had we vsed collingwood round 1 instead of lions. Would have changed trajectory?

Do the Bombers always request interstate games round 1? Seem to play away from home a lot over the past 10-15 years in the season opener.
I feel like on the flip side we almost always play a non-Victorian side at the MCG in R1.

Easter will see North Melbourne plus a night game in South Australia on Good Friday. Of course the big one is ANZAC round with Richmond vs Melbourne on Anzac Eve followed by the Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood. Anzac Eve only started in 2015 and both teams are 3-3 with the Tigers and Dees winning the last two premierships.
I hope your right but got that bad feeling the Bulldogs will undermine the NMFC with help of others EG: Collingwood and the media as they host the game vs Collingwood at the MCG.

Melbourne have requested to play the Dogs round 1 Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since your clubs 150th year I hope the AFL give you a Round 1 at home against 1 of your original opponents from 1896 which would be fitting.

All VIc clubs to play at home rnd 1.
Tiges v Blues (MCG)
Dees v Dogs (MCG)
North v Cats (Marvel)
Saints v Bombers (Marvel)
Hawks v Pies (MCG)
GWS v Swans
Lions v Port
Crows v WC
Freo v GC

Rnd 2
Swans v Hawks

Since your clubs 150th year I hope the AFL give you a Round 1 at home against 1 of your original opponents from 1896 which would be fitting.

Our first ever game was a win away to Geelong. Perhaps we get sent down to the cattery in Round 1.

Id expect us to request a Friday night v Carlton as the showpiece. Probably around the bye rounds.

Never understood the sentiment behind the GF teams playing off in Round 1.

Always think it is more rewarding giving the clubs a few games to strut their stuff against other (still quality) opponents before they go head to head a couple of rounds later.

Blow out some of the cobwebs and get a better game later in the season.

Never understood the sentiment behind the GF teams playing off in Round 1.

Always think it is more rewarding giving the clubs a few games to strut their stuff against other (still quality) opponents before they go head to head a couple of rounds later.

Blow out some of the cobwebs and get a better game later in the season.
and if they dont blow out cobwebs?

ie. Richmond 2021, Greater Western Sydney 2020, Port Adelaide 2008, Hawthorn 2009, Adelaide 1999, Brisbane 2005

Could just be a fizzler 10 games in.

and if they dont blow out cobwebs?

ie. Richmond 2021, Greater Western Sydney 2020, Port Adelaide 2008, Hawthorn 2009, Adelaide 1999, Brisbane 2005

Could just be a fizzler 10 games in.
GWS won the GF replay last year.

Pre Season:
Take out the Grand Finalist and have a 16-team knockout, like the Wizard Cup.
Knocked out teams and the two grand finalists play practice matches in weeks 2-4.

Then open the season with a Grand Final rematch.

North vs Carlton - Good Friday

When do they usually release the fixture? End of October or November?
They’re still a month away from finalizing the fixture according to Ash Browne last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back