Fixture Full 2024 AFL fixture released. News and leaks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see why it would be. The Easter Monday game is a clear winner: is delivers average crowds way beyond what you'd expect from two non-big four clubs.
I guess we'll find out next year when it's Geelongs turn to host. I expect threats of boycotts if they're forced to play EM as a home game at the MCG, in the lead up to the fixture coming out.

Its not a different venue, the playing field still doesn't have wings. May as well be a lawn bowls green.
Of course, that's a load of bollocks. The ground has been used as a VFL/AFL venue for 82 years and they have been playing football there since the 19th century. It now will hold 40,000 footy fans and if opposition players can't handle the ground then stiff! They can always forfeit and not go! The AFL has no set dimensions for footy ovals, they are different all over the country. The only stipulation is that they must have a playing surface anywhere between 135m to 185m long and 110m to 155m wide. From the very start of Australian Rules Football the size of the playing field has always been imprecise. In the days of suburban football, it was one of the beauties of the game. Today it is a completely different venue. KP dimensions are 170 x 115 m. ..............................
MCG160141
Manuka Oval162138
Cazaly's Stadium Cairns165135
Traegar Park Alice Springs168132
Carrara Metricon161134
Gabba156138
Perth Stadium165130
SCG155136
Giants Stadium164128
Eureka Stadium Ballarat160129
Marvel160129
Adelaide Oval167123
Bellerive Blundstone Hobart160124
Kardinia Park170115
Every other venue in the AFL is shorter than Geelong. The Pies will be most welcome when they finally get to go down there again.

Every other venue in the AFL is shorter than Geelong. The Pies will be most welcome when they finally get to go down there again.
Collingwood have contractual obligations to play at the following venues each season:
MCG 14 games (9 home, 5 away)
MARVEL 3 games (2 home, 1 away)
This leaves 6 games for other venues which are all played interstate (including Gather Round).

The above requirements mean that if Collingwood are scheduled to play Geelong in Geelong it will be in place of an interstate trip.

So you note the majority of Melbourne teams are effectively told where your the game will be fixtured.

Isnt this what Geelong complain about?

They have different arrangement and splits.
Pies have 9/2 MCG
Dons have 7/4 Marvel

The smaller less financially secure clubs, like Melb, Haw and Rich back in the early 2000s then opt to "sell" some Marvel "home" games.

It was never a choice of an MCG game or a NT, QLD or Tassie game...as after introduction of Marvel, the AFL never fixtured Melbourne or Richmond with 11 MCG home games.

So Geelong get a 9/2 split...big deal.

Geelong fans will tell you it is an option B, they are "forced" to play the Easter Monday game at the G...

It is unfair they rotate who is the nominal home team, despite this being pretty standard for the big MCG blockbusters - AnZAC day, AnZac eve, Dreamtime, KBday, KBday eve, Opening Rd etc.

They also came up with the "Country" game with Essendon, another annual game at the G where they rotate who the home team is.

View attachment 1854468

Yet Cat fans decide to complain that they play in MCG blockbusters...tis more than a bit rich.

Imagine a Kangas or Saints fan complaining that they got to play the Hawks every year on Easter Monday at the G!!

Are you saying Hawthorn would play 6 home games at the MCG and 5 at Marvel if it wasn’t for their Launceston deal?

Rubbish. Geelong is an outer suburb of Melbourne in geographical terms and the MCG is one of their official home grounds.
False.

14 matches in 2024 are away games. Irrefutable

Are you saying Hawthorn would play 6 home games at the MCG and 5 at Marvel if it wasn’t for their Launceston deal?
No, I am saying that they wont get 11 home MCG games.

I doubt they would go for the Carlton style 6/5 split, they would push for a Geelong style 9/2 split.

Cat fans think it is unfair that they get given six MCG blockbusters...a bit rich innit.

I doubt they would go for the Carlton style 6/5 split, they would push for a Geelong style 9/2 split.

Cat fans think it is unfair that they get given six MCG blockbusters...a bit rich innit.

Right, so they’d get nine or ten home games there, at their supposed home ground, if they didn’t sell a bunch to Tasmania.

Wasn’t that my point to begin with?

Geelong does not make a loss with 70k on Easter Monday’s or 80k v Pies/Blues. This is untrue. Do the sums.
With the extra costs of the MCG compared to essentially being gifted Kardinia Park, not retaining as much of the ground signage revenue, and other factors, it is possible that they make slightly less money with a 70k MCG crowd compared to a full house at Kardinia even with higher ticket revenues at the larger venue.

Right, so they’d get nine or ten home games there, at their supposed home ground, if they didn’t sell a bunch to Tasmania.

Wasn’t that my point to begin with?
Your "point" seemed to be that there is a difference between the AFL not scheduling Geelong home games at Cat Park and a team like Melbourne choosing to sell a home game.

Your point missed the mark, as Melbourne and Richmond were never selling MCG games, as back in 2000 the AFL gave them an 8/3 split of home games between the MCG and Marvel.

There is no difference, but Geelong want to be treated like a non-vic team.

Collingwood get so many games in Melbourne cause most Vic clubs specifically request home games against time to boost their coffees.

Hawthorn never once had the guts to specifically request to play The Pies down at Tassie (for example)

Blame the smaller vic clubs for.wanting to cash in on the very profitable cash cow that is Collingwood more than the AFL.

Also they have a very solid interstate win-loss record over the years, I don't even think they would be worried at all playing Geelong down at the Cattery.

I am maybe the biggest Collingwood hater on this forum, but the annual whining and complaints about their fixture/draw every year does grate somewhat.

You could give them 11 games away from Victoria and the Pies (annoyingly) would still find a way to win most of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your "point" seemed to be that there is a difference between the AFL not scheduling Geelong home games at Cat Park and a team like Melbourne choosing to sell a home game.

Your point missed the mark, as Melbourne and Richmond were never selling MCG games, as back in 2000 the AFL gave them an 8/3 split of home games between the MCG and Marvel.

There is no difference, but Geelong want to be treated like a non-vic team.

My point about Geelong and Hawthorn misses the mark because of what happened to two other teams 23 years ago?

Ok then, that makes sense.

Hawthorn never once had the guts to specifically request to play The Pies down at Tassie (for example)
It would defeat the purpose they are playing games down in Tassie for in the first place.

You only have to look at this years game where it was made a all ticketed game even though there was no need to do so. Trying to piggy bank off Collingwood's successful year and forcing people with already paid for general admission tickets to pay $20 plus more on top. Nothing more than simple greed and only got 62,000 in the end.

Collingwood get so many games in Melbourne cause most Vic clubs specifically request home games against time to boost their coffees.
The above is also true, but the venues have long term legally binding contracts with Collingwood to play 14 games at the MCG (9 home, 5 away) and 3 games (2 home, 1 away) at Marvel every season. This is one of the requirements the AFL needs to meet when creating the fixture.

In the 1970s and 1980s all Victorian clubs, including Geelong, were regularly scheduled to play a handful of home games at VFL Park in Waverley each season.

Did Geelong complain about this arrangement back then or is this a new thing since the competition became national?

My point about Geelong and Hawthorn misses the mark because of what happened to two other teams 23 years ago?

Ok then, that makes sense.
The point is no Victorian team gets 11 games at a single preferred venue.

Geelong get a 9/2 split, pretty good compared to most othet Victorian teams.

But the Cat fans think they are hard done by.because they get 6 MCG games...laughable.

Geelong does not make a loss with 70k on Easter Monday’s or 80k v Pies/Blues. This is untrue. Do the sums.
Compared to playing the same game at KP, a 70k crowd at the G earns the club less money total compared to playing in front of 40k at KP. So by moving the game form KP to the MCG, the club balance sheet takes a hit and so yes that is a loss whether you like it or not.

Not exactly, because of the AFL contracting games to each venue the smaller clubs (who tend to get left out of early negotiations) had no choice but to play at Docklands with a bad deal, or play at Docklands without a deal.
To be fair, those three docklands only clubs have had the worse deal of the lot. Reliant on Waverley and Princess Park and got shafted into Docklands. One of the reasons I'm in favour of a longer season (like full H+A for 18 clubs) is that it helps the economics of a 3rd smaller stadium stack up, which would help reduce the losses incurred right now by playing 20k crowd games in a 50k seat stadium.

We’d push for it but reckon the afl would go * you hawks and it would be an enforced 6/5 or 7/4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back