Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a slight exaggeration!

Last year we were criticised for going to Max too often and being too predictable, in which case most teams double teamed him and cut off his space.
Also, it's expected he'll be back by round 5 anyway. So He's expected to miss the first 4 games.

Hardly 2023 out the window.
They were a bottom-four team before the season even starts and shoulder injuries often come with long-term complications. They are lucky the Roos and Hawks are worse and GWS are rebuilding. Ross the Boss has no attacking game plan, no way of countering the loss of King and will be doing well to win 7 or 8 games for the year.

They were a bottom-four team before the season even starts and shoulder injuries often come with long-term complications. They are lucky the Roos and Hawks are worse and GWS are rebuilding. Ross the Boss has no attacking game plan, no way of countering the loss of King and will be doing well to win 7 or 8 games for the year.
1. If we were a bottom 4 team we would've landed pick 5 in the draft.
2. Shoulder injuries are fine to come back from. The only person in recent memory to struggle was Ablett when he had a really bad dislocation.
3. We're lucky the Roos, Hawks, Crows, West Coast and Essendon are significantly worse
4. Ross will be fine.

Last edited:
We won 11 games last year with the hardest draw in the comp, how are we suddenly a bottom four yeah?

Thursday night games? Well yes, everyone in the media industry would call that prime time.
Thursday night is good for media exposure (and for the media themselves which is why they talk it up) but can be a bit of a pain for sections of potential attendees. Its good to get, and guarantees national FTA exposure, but its no Friday night.

No preseason at all, although clubs are welcome to play scratch matches with other clubs within a window timeframe.
I'm not sure that is entirely 100% correct.

Thought they will still have the one week of Foxtel televised AAMI Community Series but no longer keep that week of scratch matches that were only seen on KAYO this year.

Anyone else only able to field 4 forwards?

Attachments

• B118D62F-2304-4DE6-813F-B5B73DE12642.jpeg
    B118D62F-2304-4DE6-813F-B5B73DE12642.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 57
We're up to Round 7 now... anyone know what the AFL's plans are for Rounds 16-24?

A national sport means fans need to plan...
They said from the start that it would be annouced a month in advance. So I think we are looking at between rounds 10 and 12. Pretty bad.

They said from the start that it would be annouced a month in advance. So I think we are looking at between rounds 10 and 12. Pretty bad.
Utterly pathetic.

Having said that, the NRL were able to confirm today that Melbourne Storm would play two relocated fixtures (due to FIFA Womens WC) at Marvel Stadium.

That means Docklands is N/A on Fri 30 Jun and Fri 28 Jul, ruling out Round 16 Dogs-Freo and Round 20 Essendon-Sydney & Hawks-Saints being played on the Friday in their respective rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The league has committed to finalising those rounds well ahead of round 16 to lock in dates and times for rounds that have already been allocated match-ups.

AFL fixturing boss Travis Auld told the Herald Sun the league was keen to give fans clarity six weeks ahead of time and would release them before round 10.

But the league will leave open the round 24 floating fixture then lock it in several weeks ahead of time to ensure a blockbuster finish to the home-and-away season.

THE AFL will this week release the details of rounds 16-23, with clubs and fans set to get clarity on the back-end of the 2023 season.

But the league won’t touch Round 24 for several more weeks to ensure a thrilling finale to the home-and-away campaign.

Clubs will be officially informed on Thursday of what their eight-match block of games looks like, with the strong performers to be rewarded with the lucrative timeslots.

Ladder leaders Collingwood are expected to be shown some significant Friday night love in the final third of the season.

The Pies could have four Friday night games in seven weeks in Rounds 17, 19, 20 and 23. Those games come against the Bulldogs at Marvel, Port Adelaide away, Carlton at the MCG and Brisbane at Marvel respectively.

Round 16 starts on a Thursday at the Gabba, so the Lions getting some prime time exposure – as they should – this one against Richmond who the AFL do like to keep fixturing in these games given their appeal.

Round 18 is Melbourne v Brisbane at the MCG on a Friday night.

While Round 19 opens with the Power hosting the Pies at the Adelaide Oval on a Friday night, the Lions will host Geelong at the Gabba on the Saturday night.

Carlton will be given a Saturday night home game against Melbourne at the MCG in Round 22. It was in the penultimate round last year in which they suffered the first of two heartbreaking losses that killed their season.

I'd love the AFL to go back to the old "Everyone play at the same time" set up for round 24.

Make it a 3:20pm Perth time start so all the Eastern games are Saturday twilight.

Channel 7 can push the news back to 7pm with the promise of having the finals schedule revealed exclusively.

TV networks will never allow it but man, the buzz on that day would be off the charts!

I'd love the AFL to go back to the old "Everyone play at the same time" set up for round 24.

Make it a 3:20pm Perth time start so all the Eastern games are Saturday twilight.

Channel 7 can push the news back to 7pm with the promise of having the finals schedule revealed exclusively.

TV networks will never allow it but man, the buzz on that day would be off the charts!
I have been calling for that for ages too. Also 3:20 Perth is 5:20 here, news wouldn't be until 8.

I like watching multiple games in the final round. Why should I have to miss out on the Carlton vs Collingwood clash last year?

Once again the AFL had the opportunity to play the showdown on Friday night in Round 20 Both teams in the top 8 currently and the last few have been absolutely awesome but they've gone with Collingwood v Carlton....

Collingwood have 4 of the 8 Friday night games, now whilst they've been great should the marquee spot really be hogged by one club??

Once again the AFL had the opportunity to play the showdown on Friday night in Round 20 Both teams in the top 8 currently and the last few have been absolutely awesome but they've gone with Collingwood v Carlton....

Collingwood have 4 of the 8 Friday night games, now whilst they've been great should the marquee spot really be hogged by one club??
No, the afl had to schedule one of the two MCG games on the afriday night because the Bledisloe game is at the g on the Saturday night. Yes this could be solved with Thursday nights, but it’s not going to be, so really they had no choice.

I don’t know. Scheduling a whole round in a s**t time slot will lead to calls of an unfair advantage for Crows and Eagles.

No, the afl had to schedule one of the two MCG games on the afriday night because the Bledisloe game is at the g on the Saturday night. Yes this could be solved with Thursday nights, but it’s not going to be, so really they had no choice.
Rubbish. Just last week had a Friday and Saturday night with no games at the Melbourne CRICKET ground.

Edit: and round 4 and round 6 too.

There’s some David Parkin function on a Friday afternoon the night that Carlton play Hawthorn so I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the Friday night game in round 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back