Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Need recently retired players who are not from our club. I'd be throwing money at guys like Hodge as assistant
Hodge will be media.

Andrew Mackie is one I'd love, so would Scott Thompson

You have just contradicted yourself slightly with that statement. You are talking about the performance of the team and the coach which is linked but are at the same time suggesting that the coach may not necessarily have the players at his disposal in order to meet your pre-determined pass mark for his performance. Shouldn't he be judged a bit more fairly?
giphy.gif

Personally I always thought Woosha was just a short term placement and a steady head to guide us through the saga years. Now we are through the other side it's time to get serious.
I'm absolutely of the belief we should look at moving Dodoro on, time for some fresh ideas

He might just be a short-term option but I would find it extremely unfair on him to not be re-signed, assuming we don't bottom out next year. I think he's done exceptionally well under the circumstances. It all depends on how the club rates the list, I guess. They probably overrate it.

I think Woosh deserves until the end of next season to make a call, I don't think we need to win a final but their are issues that need to be fixed, as many have pointed out, defensive side of the midfield, we get caught out easily at times. Need to be better at holding a lead, stop sides better when they get a run on. You aren't going to fix them all at once. But I think you would see how those things improve.

Wow, came in when the club was on its knees and pulled a team together that was more competitive than most thought would be, whilst developing some of the kids that were thrown in at the deep end. This year was an unknown and he managed the players coming back respectfully. Sure, Stants, Watson, Colyer & Myers probably got a few games gifted, but the club couldn't just cast them aside.

To make finals was a huge achievement and there are not many sides that would have beaten Sydney in the form they showed yesterday. Our game plan has shown to be able to beat anyone on our day. Structure was a problem with Hooker out and unfortunately were blown away in 20 minutes of footy.

IMO Woosha is a shoe in for an extension, would be shocked if he wasn't offered one. The coaches know exactly what we need and the level we must aspire to.

We will see a lot of changes in 2018 and I a, looking forward to the improvement in the list.

It is frustrating when no moves are made. Sinclair was destroying Hurley early, then of course Buddy on one leg got on top of Ambrose. With Franklin limited i.e fly for marks (not that he does often), I thought it would have been a good chance to move the taller Hartley on to him.

We just don't make moves when you feel you have to, like you know, 5 goals in 6 minutes.

Don't think Neeld and Harvey nor Woosha for that matter were ever regarded as tacticians. Hopefully we make some changes with assistants

Seriously good coach.
Hasn't gifted games, makes everyone earn their spot.
He delivered on a higher scoring enjoying game style that was demanded of him.
He knew this year was not about being a contender but provided a competitive team. He didn't experiment as it was a year building consistency and getting the players to gel as quick as possible. It had to be a system that was basic and repetitive. I think it's harsh criticism that he's not a good game day coach when he had little to work with and would more likely of been a negative to not back the system.
I see the bright side in that he delivered a team that won enough games to make the finals with a pretty simple gameplan. Over the next 2 years I see layers upon layers of strategies that he will implement.
Over the course of a year all we need is to prevent two less goals and by contrast add two goals goin fwd and that puts us in the premiership window. This probably will come from squaring the midfield battle, concede less double entries and increase inside 50's.
I hope he gets a contract until the end of 2020 before the start of next season, we need stability still and our best won't come next year. With a harder draw and teams like Melbourne saints and bulldogs who only just missed out along with the rest of the 8 not looking like they will slow down, we're in for a vigorous season.
John has planned and delivered on our teams success plan perfectly and is the man to raise our next premiership cup.

Of course the cattle isn't there but he is far too slow to react and needs to make moves. After about the 5th time in 10 minutes that Sinclair had pantsed Hurley you would of thought one of the geniuses up in the box would of pulled the trigger.
He is a shocking game day coach

Pull the trigger on what though? You've got a 200cm bloke that can get off the ground one grabbing everything being fed by a midfield that's walking it out of the centre with the vigour and precision of a North Korean military parade. It's a rob Peter to pay Paul scenario every way you look at it, especially since Ambrose and Hartley did pretty good jobs on Franklin and Reid respectively. I don't think Hurley was 100% fit either so it kind of made sense to keep him on the least mobile of the 3 as well.

He pushed Fantasia to half back to try and get some run happening, he dropped Goddard back as the spare to try and stem the bleeding, hell, he even tried Myers at half back to try and bust their zone. Truth is there was nothing he could do because we couldn't stop them winning it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why we would be writing off Worsfold or re-signing him until we've got some idea of what next year looks like.

There have been many more positives than negatives so far.

I don't understand why we would be writing off Worsfold or re-signing him until we've got some idea of what next year looks like.

There have been many more positives than negatives so far.
Yep agree there, wouldn't make a call until you see what happens next season. See how well he covers our weaknesses.

I think he will get a two year extension in the off-season.

His first two years have been a success considering the circumstances so there is no reason not to extend.

Essendon as we know are a conservative club and they wont want the media speculating week to week on whether we will extend.

Next year will likely be similar to this year in regards to performance because of the changes to the list and that will bring inconsistencies early in the season. With that in mind I suspect they will extend before the season starts.

damn millenials and their instant gratification culture

he didn't win the flag yet - sack/delist
More the point he took over a side that played and lost a final. 2 years in and we've played and lost a final. Ressies gone backwards.

Of our young players from the past 3 drafts only parish and mcgrath have managed a significant amount of senior footy.

The side it could be argued has been largely propped up by the performances of guys who aren't too far from the cliff.

I think he will get a two year extension in the off-season.

His first two years have been a success considering the circumstances so there is no reason not to extend.

Essendon as we know are a conservative club and they wont want the media speculating week to week on whether we will extend.

Next year will likely be similar to this year in regards to performance because of the changes to the list and that will bring inconsistencies early in the season. With that in mind I suspect they will extend before the season starts.
I don't think i would want to re sign him this early- yeah he has big pass for the year but I think you want to see how next year improves first.

I don't think i would want to re sign him this early- yeah he has big pass for the year but I think you want to see how next year improves first.
I think he has done more than enough.

It is a vote of confidence in our direction and like I say I think the club will want to avoid any media speculation.

If his first two years were a failure then obviously you would have second thoughts, but it has been a success. For mine it is a simple decision.

I think he has done more than enough.

It is a vote of confidence in our direction and like I say I think the club will want to avoid any media speculation.

If his first two years were a failure then obviously you would have second thoughts, but it has been a success. For mine it is a simple decision.
Where is the bar placed, what would you have considered a failure?

Where is the bar placed, what would you have considered a failure?
I'm not sure if you understand what a trigger clause is or how they work but it's about meeting certain KPI's.

I don't know what they are but for mine he would have met them and most reasonable people would agree.

They don't make important decisions like this on "how it feels".

I'm not sure if you understand what a trigger clause is or how they work but it's about meeting certain KPI's.

I don't know what they are but for mine he would have met them and most reasonable people would agree.

They don't make important decisions like this on "how it feels".
You don't know what a pass mark would be but for yours he has reached it and it isn't based on feel. I get it.

Wait a second, no i don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back