Serious rib / lung injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Young Smith was in a very bad way tonight.

Knees and feet in the back have so much scope for really serious injury. Sandilands' injury was really bad too.

Seeing how the AFL have cracked down on the bump and sliding into opponents' lower legs... how long can it be before they outlaw kneeing or kicking in the back? Sounds silly but if they're true to form, they'll try to find a way.

I'm not sure how much they can do. You can't really stop players from jumping at the ball like you can with the bump. The game is not played like basketball where it is a vertical jump, so you have to lead with something if you're running full tilt and jumping into a contest. People have been pinged for it before, where it is obviously deliberate, but how can you punish a careless jump? You can't just allow the opposition to take an uncontested mark. I agree with a lot of the rule changes, but unlike the high bumps/ sling tackles, it is not like players are dropping like flies, and I honestly don't see a genuine way to police it other than to arbitrarily suspend someone if another player is hurt. You're never going to remove all risk of injury and I think this is one of those risks that players consent to.

If you keep trying to outlaw all of these injuries, you're going to end up with kick to kick. It's a contact sport, injuries are going to happen.

Yeah we had Patful in 2015 whacked by an enthusiastic Buntine crashing a pack. Looked horrible but he recovered well. Sandilands last year was worse and really sickening. Agree I dont sèe a way to stop it unless you stop packs competing for a mark, and that's the point if the game. Missed the incident in the OP but feel for every player smashed in the ribs in a contest.

Yeah we had Patful in 2015 whacked by an enthusiastic Buntine crashing a pack. Looked horrible but he recovered well. Sandilands last year was worse and really sickening. Agree I dont sèe a way to stop it unless you stop packs competing for a mark, and that's the point if the game. Missed the incident in the OP but feel for every player smashed in the ribs in a contest.
And buntine coped the same from casboult but had a punctured lung

Anyone got footage of Ted Richards injury? Was it when he played for essendon I think? That wasn't from behind, so you won't be able to cut it out of the game completely, let's just hope it's a continued rarity

Lonergan and Petterd are two examples that come to mind. Both lost a kidney. Phil Davis lost part of his too.

Its hard to find a way to proof the game, but you do have to wonder why the frequency is so much higher.

In my opinion, it has a lot to do with the hands in the back rule.

Guys can't lead compete with their upper body anymore, so are using their knees to compensate.

Lonergan and Petterd are two examples that come to mind. Both lost a kidney. Phil Davis lost part of his too.

Its hard to find a way to proof the game, but you do have to wonder why the frequency is so much higher.

Guys can't lead compete with their upper body anymore, so are using their knees to compensate.
Petterd had a punctured lung. Never lost a kidney.

Rance likes to hit unsuspecting players from behind. At least smith wasn't lying facedown on the ground like Watts last year

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I wonder if the Hawthorn body type that has spread across the league now - fit legs, strong core, light upper body - has meant players carry less muscle padding around the ribs yet alone fat.

Then I also think the zone defensive set ups see a lot of players coming at marking contests from different angles. Hard to get a knee to the ribs if you're leading at the ball with an opponent right on you.

I don't think we can or should ban the knee or even foot up in to a pack. It will take away big marks and big pack crunching efforts.

Just might be one for teams to consider in not setting team mates under hospital kicks and if they need to build up some muscles around the ribs.

Rance likes to hit unsuspecting players from behind. At least smith wasn't lying facedown on the ground like Watts last year

BAHAHAHAHAHA

the weakest prick going in the game you NAMED A CAPTAIN

Viney and co were driving knees into Rance's back all night.

your thugs were too busy trying to start fights to win, get that ******* chip of your shoulder you sad sad little man.

One team should you don't even follow not effect you this much. R U OK?

Rance copped the same hit. Just got back up and went about his business. Tough guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BAHAHAHAHAHA

the weakest prick going in the game you NAMED A CAPTAIN

Viney and co were driving knees into Rance's back all night.

your thugs were too busy trying to start fights to win, get that ******* chip of your shoulder you sad sad little man.

One team should you don't even follow not effect you this much. R U OK?
Relax pal. It wasn't our captain that sniped a player after the ball went out of bounds. Let go of that pent up anger and enjoy going 5-0.

Relax pal. It wasn't our captain that sniped a player after the ball went out of bounds. Let go of that pent up anger and enjoy going 5-0.
you call that a snipe? he slipped, if you hadn't noticed it was raining pretty hard early

sure he didnt exactly try to 'avoid' it yet to call it intentional then you'd have to ban half your forwards for the driving of knees into Rance's back all game

oh and for the record, he has a mountain sized chip on his shoulder when it comes to richmond, aint no anger here. just hilarity

you call that a snipe? he slipped, if you hadn't noticed it was raining pretty hard early

sure he didnt exactly try to 'avoid' it yet to call it intentional then you'd have to ban half your forwards for the driving of knees into Rance's back all game

oh and for the record, he has a mountain sized chip on his shoulder when it comes to richmond, aint no anger here. just hilarity
The only knee that did any damage was the one delivered by Rance into Smith's ribs, and you think Rance was the victim? The same Rance who king hit Watts last time we played? There's a lot of anger coming from you, and its a bit sad considering where your club is at the moment. Just enjoy the ride, man.

Wasn't Lonergan's injury from front on contact though, not a knee in the back or anything like that.

The most reasonable course of action is to ensure players continually have immediate access to the best possible medical attention when required. It's probably of little solace when you get your ribs caved in, but this type of injury is not a new phenomenon. The difference is guys aren't left alone in the changerooms for half a match to wilt away like Sam Newman 50 years ago.

The only knee that did any damage was the one delivered by Rance into Smith's ribs, and you think Rance was the victim? The same Rance who king hit Watts last time we played? There's a lot of anger coming from you, and its a bit sad considering where your club is at the moment. Just enjoy the ride, man.
lol.....

Smith was bad luck, that's AFL. Rance was getting it all game, if you deny that then you are so one-eyed i can't help you

no anger over here mate, im pissing myself at the richmond melts, i wonder if this is what Hawthorn felt when they 3-peated. The melts seems to be bigger for us going 5-0 than them doing a 3peat

lol.....

Smith was bad luck, that's AFL. Rance was getting it all game, if you deny that then you are so one-eyed i can't help you

no anger over here mate, im pissing myself at the richmond melts, i wonder if this is what Hawthorn felt when they 3-peated. The melts seems to be bigger for us going 5-0 than them doing a 3peat
Just enjoy your team, mate. Nothing more to it.

Rance's eyes were on the ball the whole way. It's smacks of sore loser that you're trying to imply otherwise !

You also conveniently ignore that earlier in the match he copped exactly the same thing !

It was accidental, you know it and everyone who saw it knows it. So give it a rest.

King hit lol, watts said he hardly felt it and then kicked a goal.

lol.....

Call me one-eyed but I think you are dramatically overreacting. The Smith incident was an accident that happens in football but no way where Melbourne players deliberately targeting Rance. Don't sour a fantastic win by your team who deserved it and performed very well- by being a sore winner. Tonight was a great contest, nobody was giving it to Rance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back