Remove this Banner Ad

Sportman1987

Club Legend
Suspended
May 19, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Should I start with my GP or go straight into physio? Maybe osteopathy, or even a chiropractor?

Looking for some ideas because I was planning on playing footy this year, but this is a recurring injury for me. It's my lower right back, and there is a sharp pain when I bend over to far or try to run faster than a jog. It's usually resolved itself after around 6 months through gradual stretching, but that's over half the season ... I'm hoping to nip this in the bud, because the pain isn't severe yet but I can tell I'm only one sharp movement away from ****ing it completely. I need some proper treatment.

Cheers

Could be a lumbar disc...But not definitely, could have strained a lower back muscle. What are the other symptoms? Any pins and needles or pain into the buttock or down the leg?

IF it is a disc:
Look up 'Mckenzie extension exercises'. They should help you out a fair bit

The disc is a fibrocartilage structure that sits between the vertebra. It joins them together and basically acts to absorb shock and allow movement. When you bend forwards eg. picking something off ground (usually worse if its something heavy), you place lots of stress on the posterior (back part) of the disc. In some cases this can cause the disc to pretty much rupture or prolapse (pain), sending the contents (fluid etc) into the spinal canal. This may or may not impinge on one of the nerve roots in the spine, sending referred pain down the leg...most refer to this as sciatica.
Mckenzie extension exercises is a movement which is taking pressure off the posterior disc and possible nerve root, and should help centralise the pain and hopefully abolish it.

Studies have shown that presentations of low back pain (disc injuries) are commonly associated with poor core strength. Having a strong core will provide your lower back with much needed stability and base of support.
How is your core strength?

• Banned
Could be a lumbar disc...But not definitely, could have strained a lower back muscle. What are the other symptoms? Any pins and needles or pain into the buttock or down the leg?

IF it is a disc:
Look up 'Mckenzie extension exercises'. They should help you out a fair bit

The disc is a fibrocartilage structure that sits between the vertebra. It joins them together and basically acts to absorb shock and allow movement. When you bend forwards eg. picking something off ground (usually worse if its something heavy), you place lots of stress on the posterior (back part) of the disc. In some cases this can cause the disc to pretty much rupture or prolapse (pain), sending the contents (fluid etc) into the spinal canal. This may or may not impinge on one of the nerve roots in the spine, sending referred pain down the leg...most refer to this as sciatica.
Mckenzie extension exercises is a movement which is taking pressure off the posterior disc and possible nerve root, and should help centralise the pain and hopefully abolish it.

Studies have shown that presentations of low back pain (disc injuries) are commonly associated with poor core strength. Having a strong core will provide your lower back with much needed stability and base of support.
How is your core strength?

Thanks, I'll get on those Mackenize exercises

I've been pretty inactive for the past 3 or so years, but I think my core strength is still decent. That said, my flexibility is terrible. Especially whatever muscle is used to make your foot touch your head, my legs are extremely stiff in that area.

Glad you pointed out the pain going through the buttocks & down the leg, I did have this a few years ago when I stupidly tried to push through the pain & sprint. At this stage I think it's only my lower back, but I haven't tried running faster than a jog.

Is there a reliable way to diagnose a sciatica?

Thanks, I'll get on those Mackenize exercises

I've been pretty inactive for the past 3 or so years, but I think my core strength is still decent. That said, my flexibility is terrible. Especially whatever muscle is used to make your foot touch your head, my legs are extremely stiff in that area.

Glad you pointed out the pain going through the buttocks & down the leg, I did have this a few years ago when I stupidly tried to push through the pain & sprint. At this stage I think it's only my lower back, but I haven't tried running faster than a jog.

Is there a reliable way to diagnose a sciatica?

Sounds like inflexible hamstrings (foot touching head).

Core strength is not the abs though, it is the deep muscles of the stomache and spine. Poor flexibility will not help, and could also be a cause.

I would go see a physio as not only will they help you out now, they will give you core stability and flexibility exercises to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Sciatica is a bit of an umbrella term, but is usually characterised by sharp/shooting pain or pins and needles/numbness below the buttocks, which is related to a lower back problem.
Diagnosis is usually an increase in symptoms (down leg) when bending forward, and a decrease in symptoms when arching back. Another way to diagnose it is with a 'straight leg raise' or 'slump test' or a neurological lower limb examination, but i would leave that to the person diagnosing you...

Go see a chiropractor. Could be your QL. It's a good sign if it's no longer going down the back of your leg, but like you said, it might deteriorate to that.

Rule number 1 - Don't take legal or medical advice from anyone on a public football forum.

Go see a chiropractor.

Go see a chiro if you want to continually have appointments for the next year and feel better temporarily after a visit.
Go see a physio if you want advice on how to prevent the injury occurring, self management and to get to the root of the problem.

Generally chiros are quacks, see the above post. If they start booking you in for twice weekly "adjustments" to fix your "vertebral subluxations" run like hell.

Best option is to find a good physio IMO.

i've been seeing a chiro on and off since i was 18-19 (now 27), and have been seeing one for 12 months straight up until about 6 months ago.

They help up to a certain point. ie. at the start u notice a big difference, but then as you keep going you start to notice it's all become rather routine - they get in in, crack your back, and get you out. any problem you may still have - well they're going to be staying there

After i stopped seeing the chiro i started seeing an osteo - they pretty much do most of the stuff a chiro does, except they also focus more on muscles, and focus on the rest of the body not just the back.

a chiro will try to get u back in as often as they can get away with - whereas an osteo will approach your treatment with the view of getting rid of you so you don't need to come back.

Comparing prices, my osteo charges ~ $60 a session whereas my chiro charged about $45 - but i was penciled in for an appointment at the chiro every 4 weeks - whereas with the osteo after going for about 3-4 months it's gotten to the point where i don't schedule an appointment on my way out - i now call in if i feel i need to - at this stage every 2-3 months..

definitely recommend an osteo over a chiro

i've been seeing a chiro on and off since i was 18-19 (now 27), and have been seeing one for 12 months straight up until about 6 months ago.

They help up to a certain point. ie. at the start u notice a big difference, but then as you keep going you start to notice it's all become rather routine - they get in in, crack your back, and get you out. any problem you may still have - well they're going to be staying there

After i stopped seeing the chiro i started seeing an osteo - they pretty much do most of the stuff a chiro does, except they also focus more on muscles, and focus on the rest of the body not just the back.

a chiro will try to get u back in as often as they can get away with - whereas an osteo will approach your treatment with the view of getting rid of you so you don't need to come back.

Comparing prices, my osteo charges ~ $60 a session whereas my chiro charged about $45 - but i was penciled in for an appointment at the chiro every 4 weeks - whereas with the osteo after going for about 3-4 months it's gotten to the point where i don't schedule an appointment on my way out - i now call in if i feel i need to - at this stage every 2-3 months..

definitely recommend an osteo over a chiro

Good post.

To be honest I don't know a lot about osteo's...

I hate it when people say they 'have been going to their chiro for say 8 years and couldn't walk without their weekly appointments (adjustments) due to back pain.'
I think to myself, in 8 years of weekly appointments that chiro has not resolved your back pain? All they are doing is just controlling the symptoms.

Good post.

To be honest I don't know a lot about osteo's...

I hate it when people say they 'have been going to their chiro for say 8 years and couldn't walk without their weekly appointments (adjustments) due to back pain.'
I think to myself, in 8 years of weekly appointments that chiro has not resolved your back pain? All they are doing is just controlling the symptoms.
pfft.. why would you wanna resolve the issue?

8 * 52 * $45 = $18,720

Go see a chiro if you want to continually have appointments for the next year and feel better temporarily after a visit.
Go see a physio if you want advice on how to prevent the injury occurring, self management and to get to the root of the problem.

I've had the opposite. Physio kept me coming back with not a whole lot of improvement, chiro saw me a lot at first then cut back as I improved. Chiro gave me exercises and stretches, did x-rays on my neck and back as well as a foot scan. Chiros really focus on your whole body - if your feet are rolling in it will affect your knees and hips and spine.

I guess it will be different for each patient. You just have to try a few different treatments and see which works for you. But I do believe in preventative medicine. If your physio/chiro/osteo/whoever gives you exercises, DO THEM, and keep yourself fit and well and mentally healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A genuine question - I've heard so many different people say that chiropractors are "quacks" and/or they do more harm than good, so why do people keep seeing them? Is it just the few people who get benefit from them keeping them in business?

i wouldn't go as far to say that they do more harm than good - if you get one who doesnt know what he's doing he probably can do harm but that goes with anyone.

One thing that does worry me about a chiro is that they always get you to sign a waiver form on your first visit - ie. "if we cripple you, we're not liable"

I did not sign anything like that at the osteo...

but as i've said previously - i found the chiro helped a fair bit earlier on in the treatment - but then progress hit a wall despite the chiro wanting me back in every 4 weeks.

A genuine question - I've heard so many different people say that chiropractors are "quacks" and/or they do more harm than good, so why do people keep seeing them? Is it just the few people who get benefit from them keeping them in business?

Chiropractors work with the spine, which is fine when you have back/neck problems. However, some chiropractors still believe that by manipulating the spine you can cure 99% of all conditions (like a bad heart, migraines etc.), which is of course a load of bollocks, and has lead to people dying recently in Canada and England. Now this is not a widespread problem, particularly here in australia, but it has tarnished their reputation. [Check out the article by Simon Singh if you are interested.]

Chiropractice in its purest sense is still helpful and does work. Conventional physiotherapy cannot treat back problems with consistency, unlike Chiropractice, which is why it still thrives as a medical practice.

Well, I couldn't wait any longer. The other night my back was pretty sore & I hadn't made an appointment anywhere. I needed a massage, but how could I get one at 8PM?

Then I had a masterstroke.

Classifieds, General Services, Erotic Services, Massage.

I ended up with a slightly pudgy ~30 year old thai woman with huge bewbs. I told her what the deal was, & she said she'd spent quite a bit of time training in Thailand & would sort me out. Man. This was an excellent massage, I could tell she knew what she was doing. It cost me $75 for 45 minutes which I think is pretty reasonable. My back has honestly felt a lot better. I think I'll go back tomorrow.

Well, I couldn't wait any longer. The other night my back was pretty sore & I hadn't made an appointment anywhere. I needed a massage, but how could I get one at 8PM?

Then I had a masterstroke.

Classifieds, General Services, Erotic Services, Massage.

I ended up with a slightly pudgy ~30 year old thai woman with huge bewbs. I told her what the deal was, & she said she'd spent quite a bit of time training in Thailand & would sort me out. Man. This was an excellent massage, I could tell she knew what she was doing. It cost me $75 for 45 minutes which I think is pretty reasonable. My back has honestly felt a lot better. I think I'll go back tomorrow.

:D good idea with the massage therapy.

I had exactly the same problems as you have raised, when I was playing football went through countless hours of Physio, Chiro and massage beacsue of lower back pain.
It wasn't until I decided to change Chiro's when I moved back to Perth they finally made the decision to take a full x-ray of my hips rather than just my spine and found that I had a badly buckled pelvis.
This was 5 years ago and unfortunately the damage was already done and basically all I can do is manage it. That is now a combination of weight training, stretching, the occassional chiro apprt, medication and low impact exercise (no more running or contact sport).

Just make sure you get a proper diagnosis before you under go any type of treatment as you may be causing more damage or purely throwing your money away. Good luck with it and the massages:p.

Sportsman, I played footy for 15 years. The last few were punctuated by lower back pain - fine to start with but half way through pre-season it was terrible. After half time in a match I struggled big time. And the Sunday morning..no way I could get my socks on by myself.

Initially I used a physio (our club physio worked with Carlton - so he knew what he was doing). After a season or so of 'managing' the issue, I had a an xray and the root cause was identified as being skeletal. The muscles also over compensated to protect the disc and you get a snow ball effect. So to 'fix' the root cause - I went and saw a chiropractor. Couple that treatment with some rehabiltation with the physio (massage, strength excercises, stretches etc) and the problem was fixed within a few months. Best thing I ever did was see the Chiro.

So my advice, get an xray early to help identify (or rule out) potential causes. Then you can work out the who is going to fix the issue - chiro (in the first instance) or physiotehrapist. Or a combination of both most likley.

Sportsman, I played footy for 15 years. The last few were punctuated by lower back pain - fine to start with but half way through pre-season it was terrible. After half time in a match I struggled big time. And the Sunday morning..no way I could get my socks on by myself.

Initially I used a physio (our club physio worked with Carlton - so he knew what he was doing). After a season or so of 'managing' the issue, I had a an xray and the root cause was identified as being skeletal. The muscles also over compensated to protect the disc and you get a snow ball effect. So to 'fix' the root cause - I went and saw a chiropractor. Couple that treatment with some rehabiltation with the physio (massage, strength excercises, stretches etc) and the problem was fixed within a few months. Best thing I ever did was see the Chiro.

So my advice, get an xray early to help identify (or rule out) potential causes. Then you can work out the who is going to fix the issue - chiro (in the first instance) or physiotehrapist. Or a combination of both most likley.

Thanks everyone. This sounds like me. I really struggle to put shoes on too when my back is at its worst. An X-ray definitely sounds like its in order. Was it your physio or chriopractor that suggested & evaluated the x-ray?

Thanks everyone. This sounds like me. I really struggle to put shoes on too when my back is at its worst. An X-ray definitely sounds like its in order. Was it your physio or chriopractor that suggested & evaluated the x-ray?

Hey Sportsman, it was the physio who suggested it. I'd never seen a chiro before that. I had to get a referal from my doctor though and when he got the results back, he suggested I see a chiro. I went thorugh my health fund to find one close to me.

Interestingly enough, the Chiro told me what he could do and what he couldn't. He did tell me once things were ok again, he only wanted to see me if I had a problem. Intially I saw him every week/2nd week but over the season it got much better and I didn't need to keep getting adjusted (combination of the strength work, stretching and massage from the phsyio plus the adjustments all helped).

To sum it up, I am neither pro/against Chiro or Physio. The key seems to be get a proper diagnosis from the start and determine which can help given your specific condition. Might be one or the other - or both. But seeing the chiro was the best thing I did given my specific issue.

I have sharp lower back pain. See every bone in my back bar 3 is actually broken. Any massages recommended?

I have sharp lower back pain. See every bone in my back bar 3 is actually broken. Any massages recommended?

You could massage your fist as far down your throat as it will go, and see how that works for you. If you leave it there for at least an hour I can guarantee you won't have anymore pain ever again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back