Sheffield Shield TOTY: Half way point

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, you keep going back to the basic stats. That's not enough.
I disagree. Neser has been good, but not the best XI so far this season.

That's not an argument, you're just restating your already well-established position.
Yes, and you haven't convinced me otherwise. You're allowed to think he is, but I'm allowed to disagree and have other middle order options, such as Tom Cooper (2nd in runs, equal most hundreds) or Jake Lehmann (more runs with a healthy average despite a lack of not outs) are ahead. You cite Harris' 250* skews his stats. He still has as many scores above 50 as anyone except for Wade, and the only openers who have made more centuries are Larkin (who's in my team) and Hughes (who has less runs at a lower average despite more games and innings'). Give me a clear cut reason why Neser should be in ahead of Cooper in my team?

Yes, and you haven't convinced me otherwise. You're allowed to think he is, but I'm allowed to disagree and have other middle order options, such as Tom Cooper (2nd in runs, equal most hundreds) or Jake Lehmann (more runs with a healthy average despite a lack of not outs) are ahead. You cite Harris' 250* skews his stats. He still has as many scores above 50 as anyone except for Wade, and the only openers who have made more centuries are Larkin (who's in my team) and Hughes (who has less runs at a lower average despite more games and innings'). Give me a clear cut reason why Neser should be in ahead of Cooper in my team?

I already have Lehmann in my team. You've also stated in the OP that there aren't many middle-order options. Cooper has a significant problem: the majority of his innings are very low scoring. He has no scores between 11 and 39 this season. Of his eleven innings, six of them are scores of 10 or less. Doolan has this problem as well, but he hasn't had any huge scores to make up for it.

Much of this question is philosophical. I know from our draft games that you tend to stick with the seven batsman+four bowlers model, which is fine, but you should also know that I will pick an all-rounder whenever there is one good enough. Given Neser has won/saved matches with both bat and ball so far this season, I think that makes him good enough. The team doesn't lose much batting-wise, and gains a useful fifth option.

I already have Lehmann in my team. You've also stated in the OP that there aren't many middle-order options. Cooper has a significant problem: the majority of his innings are very low scoring. He has no scores between 11 and 39 this season. Of his eleven innings, six of them are scores of 10 or less. Doolan has this problem as well, but he hasn't had any huge scores to make up for it.

Much of this question is philosophical. I know from our draft games that you tend to stick with the seven batsman+four bowlers model, which is fine, but you should also know that I will pick an all-rounder whenever there is one good enough. Given Neser has won/saved matches with both bat and ball so far this season, I think that makes him good enough. The team doesn't lose much batting-wise, and gains a useful fifth option.
Okay, that explains it.

Don’t waste your breath, it’s a Victorian poster mate so take his TOTY opinion with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had 3 Queenslanders in my TOTY last year, including Neser, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

He had a 250*. That causes such a distortion of the stats that it should be taken into account.
Anyone who is capable of a 250* should just about be an automatic selection. Speaks volumes that no one else has got anywhere near a score like that.

Anyone who is capable of a 250* should just about be an automatic selection. Speaks volumes that no one else has got anywhere near a score like that.

If he had scored another century I'd give it to him, but he hasn't.

That’s less a school and more a university of thought.

For many years he, Cam Gannon and Evan Gulbis have basically been the same player in my head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back