Should a clearance be worth SC points?

Should a clearance be worth SC points?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not. They're already weighted because they're a contested possession.

I think the game already has too much of a bias towards contested ball winners.

I think you could balance that out by reducing the scores players receive for contested possessions whilst rewarding the CPs that create clearances with points.

Probably not. They're already weighted because they're a contested possession.

I think the game already has too much of a bias towards contested ball winners.
5 points for a hitout to advantage but none for a standard hitout

I reckon some tweaks to scoring would fit clearances in

Contested possession and effective handball/kick.

Good enough.

But is a CP and ED worth as much as one from a centre clearance or forward stoppage that clears congestion and results in a goal? Do they weight these possessions?

But is a CP and ED worth as much as one from a centre clearance or forward stoppage that clears congestion and results in a goal? Do they weight these possessions?
Scoring chain involvement has points attached

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awarding points for clearances would unbalance the game IMO. You'd all of a sudden have players regularly scoring 150+ with prices >700k.

People seem to bitch and complain about the scoring system all the time, but what it does do is keep the game even. There are no midfielders this year which are absolute locks, except maybe Fyfe. This leads to a great variety of players making up various teams and makes h2h matches a challenge. The scoring system has one fundamental purpose, and that's to determine how a player has gone in comparison to other players on the ground. Players like Jesse Hogan, or Heath Shaw, as an example, don't have an opportunity to get clearances. Does that make their impact any less important than Selwood who may get 15 clearances? There's only a select few players who have the opportunity to get 10 clearances plus a game. IMO a contested effective possession for a clearance is fair. The last thing SC wants is everyone's midfield to be stacked with the same clearance players and the rest of the team stacked with cheap insequential players to balance out the salary cap.

Clearances shouldn't be worth anything because there are only a select few players on the field who can get ten or more in a game.

Therefore, goals shouldn't be worth points, because there are only a couple of players in the whole comp who can kick ten or more.

Intercept marks shouldn't be worth points, only tall defenders can take them. Not fair.

Hitouts to advantage shouldn't be worth more points, only 2-4 guys out there who have any chance of getting them.

Best argument ever

Given the amount of points already shared amongst the midfield, I think the argument against allocating points for clearances is actually reasonable, and Jiska is right about it unbalancing the game. It's easy to pick one aspect of an argument and tear it apart, but as a whole I think this one stands up.

Awarding points for clearances would unbalance the game IMO. You'd all of a sudden have players regularly scoring 150+ with prices >700k.

People seem to bitch and complain about the scoring system all the time, but what it does do is keep the game even. There are no midfielders this year which are absolute locks, except maybe Fyfe. This leads to a great variety of players making up various teams and makes h2h matches a challenge. The scoring system has one fundamental purpose, and that's to determine how a player has gone in comparison to other players on the ground. Players like Jesse Hogan, or Heath Shaw, as an example, don't have an opportunity to get clearances. Does that make their impact any less important than Selwood who may get 15 clearances? There's only a select few players who have the opportunity to get 10 clearances plus a game. IMO a contested effective possession for a clearance is fair. The last thing SC wants is everyone's midfield to be stacked with the same clearance players and the rest of the team stacked with cheap insequential players to balance out the salary cap.
Agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back