Should Don Pyke get another gig?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are some inexperienced coaches really struggling at the moment, Shaw, Goodwin, soon to be Rutten. I'm excluding Nicks because obviously Pyke would not be going back to Adelaide.
St Kilda have improved considerably this year with an experienced coach in Ratten.

Should North, Melbourne, or Essendon be looking at Don Pyke?

Pyke got sacked with a 60% winning record and having got the crows to a grand final. The 3 clubs above haven't really had a sniff of that sort of success.

So what are the main criticisms? The camp and the powerstance.
The camp Pyke has to have some level of responsibility, even though it sounds like it was mostly orchestrated by bird brain Burton. It was a big mistake, but people can make mistakes and it's sounds like he's learnt from it. There was even a radio interview where he said the club still needed to address it properly. I think you can say it's not something that's going to happen again.

Powerstance is obviously hilarious in retrospect, but the commentary up until the grand final were hailing it as some form of great mental intimidation. Were the cats intimidated by it, causing them to lose by 10 goals? Maybe.
At the end of the day I don't know how much Pyke had to do with the powerstance, he obviously participated but it seems like maybe more of a Tex walker/birdbrain burton thing. You can guarantee if Pyke gets a new job the powerstance isn't coming back.

Performance wise, Pyke went 10-12 in his last year before being sacked. The next year the same team has won one game with a percentage of 60 and struggles to kick more than 5 goals.

Is Pyke a good coach? Should he get another shot?

There are some inexperienced coaches really struggling at the moment, Shaw, Goodwin, soon to be Rutten. I'm excluding Nicks because obviously Pyke would not be going back to Adelaide.
St Kilda have improved considerably this year with an experienced coach in Ratten.

Should North, Melbourne, or Essendon be looking at Don Pyke?

Pyke got sacked with a 60% winning record and having got the crows to a grand final. The 3 clubs above haven't really had a sniff of that sort of success.

So what are the main criticisms? The camp and the powerstance.
The camp Pyke has to have some level of responsibility, even though it sounds like it was mostly orchestrated by bird brain Burton. It was a big mistake, but people can make mistakes and it's sounds like he's learnt from it. There was even a radio interview where he said the club still needed to address it properly. I think you can say it's not something that's going to happen again.

Powerstance is obviously hilarious in retrospect, but the commentary up until the grand final were hailing it as some form of great mental intimidation. Were the cats intimidated by it, causing them to lose by 10 goals? Maybe.
At the end of the day I don't know how much Pyke had to do with the powerstance, he obviously participated but it seems like maybe more of a Tex walker/birdbrain burton thing. You can guarantee if Pyke gets a new job the powerstance isn't coming back.

Performance wise, Pyke went 10-12 in his last year before being sacked. The next year the same team has won one game with a percentage of 60 and struggles to kick more than 5 goals.

Is Pyke a good coach? Should he get another shot?
Absolutely. Would love to have him at the Giants.

Coached his team to finals (including a GF) and was able to implement a style that suited the strengths of the list.

Certainly worthy of another look.

He pretty much had the odds against him from the start. The dude walked into a club who tragically lost their previous coach, coached them to play brillant footy in 2017, but struggled in his final years due to a toxic culture from board level to the assistants. He absolutely deserves another chance.

3-0 zip in leading at qtr time - can't say that it didn't work in getting them focused

it was something different - don't quite get why it gets as much derision as it does

would assume though it was an idea straight from collective minds rather than Pyke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably worth a look in a year or two. Rightly or wrongly the camp and culture aspect will haunt him for a while.

Yep. It's too much baggage right now for clubs to take him on. But give it a few years when the dust settles, and he should be in a position for a comeback like Ratten.

I'd give him a second chance.

I still don't understand what the big deal was about the camp.

When the wife sharing stuff came up I'd probably just laugh and crack a joke. All the boys would have a laugh as well.

Think he just came in and benefited from the groundwork Walsh did. Even admitted he didn't wanna change things.

Assistant, yeah. Needs to work up again imo.

He's a pretty good coach. Sometimes your unlucky with timing of internally where the club wants to be, He should of been held onto. I think he's one of the best coaches not coaching, Kind of like Ratten where Instead of hard decisions clubs think they can simply switch out a decent coach with someone else and hope it works its magic

It wasnt the "Worst" decision to get rid of him, Hiring Burton was horrific,

Last edited:
Don Pyke is a good coach and would be a significant upgrade on some of the plodders currently employed as AFL senior coaches eg. Goodwin, Shaw.

Seems like a good coach but how much of the Collective Minds camp stench will follow him around?
It's sad that a West Coast supporter would buy into the Vic footy medias talking points about Don Pyke. It's pretty disgraceful given the great service he gave your club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back