Sides that constantly throw the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't believe that in the last quarter the coms were using this as a reason why they might be tiring. Like WCE and Freo don't do that travel every other week.

(Vicbias lol)
We actually had the exact same travel schedule (Perth, Sydney, Perth)

Op not having dogs as number 1
let alone not even mentioned turns the thread in to a Richmond pizza with double anchovies!!
When I learnt to play if your holding hand moved it was a throw!
Now telecasters and $$$ control the game and they don’t give a **** about the game they just want more goals for more ad breaks!
A real shame really.

Last edited:
Yes but remember the OP is a West Coast supporter. So in his mind Richmond is the root of all evil.
Weird that you associate us dislinking the rules of the vfl with hating richmond.

reckon ive spoken more on this mcg thing than anyone on this side of the divide - and i really like richmond and the brand of footy they play.

its the fact that currently richmond have had a coupla good runs with this mcg thing we hate - stop being compretitive - have another mcg tenant start knocking off interstate teams and attention will be elsewhere.

A bigger issue is a lot of fans (me until recently) don’t understand what is and isn’t a handball. The ball doesn’t have to be punched with the other hand. You can “spoon it” with your holding hand as long as your punching hand is touching the ball. The force doesn’t need to be from the punch.

Players seem to do it close to the boundary line facing the fence when Field umps are blind sided.
Why not get Boundary umps to adjudicate? Double Hand up motion or something to field ump who then awards the free.

Richmond got pinged for a throw yesterday because the umpire positioned himself on the boundary side of a contest.

Us sitting in a crowd see most of throws as they are done towards us as players try to hide them. Some are done in desperation and often they are the ones picked up as they are more obvious to the umpires

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

News flash: Players will try to get away with anything they can get away with. Richmond probably push the boundaries more than any other team.

BTW, if the AFL would concentrate on the rules that already exist (the fundamentals) instead of introducing new rules to get more viewers and then rules to 'fix' those new rules the game would be far less complicated and much easier to umpire. They might even be able to pay more holding the ball - incorrect disposal frees.

Bulldogs, Richmond and Geelong are best(worst) at it

Selwood doesn't even try to pretend to handball half the time now

I don't think Breust has done a legitimate handball in years
His throw late in the Easter Monday is typical of what passes as a handball these days. Yes we know your clenched fist made contact with the footy but no that wasn't the reason the projected 15 metres.

Lol at having tigers #1 but no dogs or Geelong.

Thats rubbish. Edwards is the best handball in the league. Nothing wrong with an overhead handball thats done properly.
When the fist barely makes any contact and the ball travels the best part of 10m - that's a throw. When both hands shoot up together and the ball quickly fires from waist high to over the head - that's a throw.

The only way to get an over the head handball to travel a decent distance is to hold it up there and give it a good punch and that's rarely what's happening.

I'm not saying he's not brilliant at it. Just the definition of a handball used to involve the ball being held stationary in one hand and punched by the other. That's changed a lot.

I absolutely hate it, it is simply cheating, on par with diving, in that it takes advantage of the difficulties in umpiring the game to get an unfair advantage. We are seeing wholesale use of the strategy because teams are concluding the risk of occasionally getting pinged is outweighed by the value they can get from consistently throwing the ball in tight situations.

Anyone who is shown to clearly throw it without their hands pinned should get a warning from the MRP for a first offence and a hefty fine for repeat offences.
Is the advantage of a throw that could be interpreted as a a handball much greater than a handball? My guess is what we see as a throw on TV is mostly actually a handball

Lol at having tigers #1 but no dogs or Geelong.

Thats rubbish. Edwards is the best handball in the league. Nothing wrong with an overhead handball thats done properly.
The over the head handballs seem to attract nuffies the most for whatever reason.

Plenty of good exponents of the overhead handball (including Edwards). Does not mean they’re throwing it plus it’s not that easy to disguise if they are.

Every team drops/throws balls in congestion. Until they clamp down on incorrect disposal, it’ll continue.

Last edited:
When the fist barely makes any contact and the ball travels the best part of 10m - that's a throw. When both hands shoot up together and the ball quickly fires from waist high to over the head - that's a throw.

The only way to get an over the head handball to travel a decent distance is to hold it up there and give it a good punch and that's rarely what's happening.

I'm not saying he's not brilliant at it. Just the definition of a handball used to involve the ball being held stationary in one hand and punched by the other. That's changed a lot.
Thats not the rule bro. Only have to get a fingernail on it to be classed a handball and not a throw.

The only ones you can be upset about are the ones where the hand not holding the ball doesn't make contact at all.

Cant expect umpires to make a judgement call on which hand the ball was most propelled by 300 times a match.

Sides that constantly throw the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back