Sim Sim update planning

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh. This would be the 2007 version. I think that’s when the seasons started from.

Would be cool to have a blank version for SFA. Or a current 2020 version.
Yeah it’s a different prospect because of the reliance on player ratings etc. in terms of a 2019 version one was released in like June, pretty decent! I’d recommend giving it a go.

Yeah it’s a different prospect because of the reliance on player ratings etc. in terms of a 2019 version one was released in like June, pretty decent! I’d recommend giving it a go.
I will find it and give it a go.
then will look for a cricket version.

Played Footy FX for 1 week as Carlton, beaten by 90 against Essendon. Rage deleted game.
I won the flag second year round. Essendon the only real challenger (they knocked us out in route to the 19 premiership) although GWS we’re capable too.

Trading mechanic still needs some work, as does the ratings (a lot of developing players underrated or overrated in particular) but still alright to crack out occasionally for a bit of fun.

Speaking of other sims, The guy behind Australian Football Coach is doing a new version called Australian Football Coach 2020 that's build from the ground up. It's going to be more custom league friendly than the original one and he is currently beta testing that game. I've had the pleasure to Beta Test this game and it is looking promising.

They have a page on Facebook that is constantly updated and it's going to be available on Steam as well.

It's certainly an exciting time for Football Sims with Footy Fanatic FX coming out with a new version a few months ago and a new version of Qooty being worked on along with this new game. Good Luck guys with the new version of Qooty. These new games are a godsend for a guy like me also running their own Fictional Football League. It seems to be looking the goods.

Speaking of other sims, The guy behind Australian Football Coach is doing a new version called Australian Football Coach 2020 that's build from the ground up. It's going to be more custom league friendly than the original one and he is currently beta testing that game. I've had the pleasure to Beta Test this game and it is looking promising.

They have a page on Facebook that is constantly updated and it's going to be available on Steam as well.

It's certainly an exciting time for Football Sims with Footy Fanatic FX coming out with a new version a few months ago and a new version of Qooty being worked on along with this new game. Good Luck guys with the new version of Qooty. These new games are a godsend for a guy like me also running their own Fictional Football League. It seems to be looking the goods.

Hello.

Can't believe I missed this till now.

Have you checked the marking stats for ruck-rovers lately?
Imo best thing to do is keep a record of the last player to have possession, then make sure re-use is refuted.

On DUB-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
And the players opponent as well most likely.
And dependant on the movement up the ground the player who initially long kicked it isn't available to be chosen for possession for at most 2 movements of the ball.
The very first iteration of Qooty was a Commodore 64 program I wrote called Real Time Footy. I did indeed start this whole thing using AFL (then VFL as 1988ish) team lists.

Sadly nothing remains save for screenshots of the cassette case and unfinished instructions, and an audio recording of me commentating a part of a game between Fitzroy & Melbourne.

On DUB-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Who won? :D

Can't believe I missed this till now.

And the players opponent as well most likely.
And dependant on the movement up the ground the player who initially long kicked it isn't available to be chosen for possession for at most 2 movements of the ball.

Who won? :D
I'm pretty sure it was Fitzroy or I wouldn't have retained much memory of it. Wish I still had it. Have searched for the audio piece but no luck yet.

What exactly is it if you dont mind me asking KP?
github? That's like where programmers share their code and do other nerd stuff together. Although I'm not an actual programmer so that's about the extent that I know.

As for this pet project I've got, it's best explained if you read through the thread from the beginning, I started on a project to recreate the Qooty application in a newer language called Python to hopefully get past the old code's limitations and get an updated version of the sim.
I've got tiny recorded video clips of the results as I progressively wrote the code. There's some semblance of a sim there but plenty of ways to go.

That was the latter half of S28 before I dropped the project to spam media threads, prostitute for beez votes etc. for a couple seasons, but now I'm retired so I thought I'd try picking it up again.

github? That's like where programmers share their code and do other nerd stuff together. Although I'm not an actual programmer so that's about the extent that I know.

As for this pet project I've got, it's best explained if you read through the thread from the beginning, I started on a project to recreate the Qooty application in a newer language called Python to hopefully get past the old code's limitations and get an updated version of the sim.
I've got tiny recorded video clips of the results as I progressively wrote the code. There's some semblance of a sim there but plenty of ways to go.

That was the latter half of S28 before I dropped the project to spam media threads, prostitute for beez votes etc. for a couple seasons, but now I'm retired so I thought I'd try picking it up again.
Yeah I meant the project, ok I’ll read the thread. As long as we’re not all gonna be ’they’ and ‘them‘ again 🤢

Yeah I meant the project, ok I’ll read the thread. As long as we’re not all gonna be ’they’ and ‘them‘ again 🤢
I'm gonna deflect that one straight to the reanimated corpse of JoshWoodenSpoon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna try to revisit this over the next month.

Not entirely sure of all the features of github but I've pushed what I've done so far on there

Shout out if you need a hand, got a bit of python experience (No expert by any means though), Though by my skim through your code you're doing a pretty good job anyway.

So that's what happened to this - I thought someone had come up with a newer version, which is why I binned my efforts.

Shout out if you need a hand, got a bit of python experience (No expert by any means though), Though by my skim through your code you're doing a pretty good job anyway.
How familiar are you with Object Oriented Programming? I'm pretty sure it'll be needed to individualise the stats for each player, but I never quite got my head around OOP.

How familiar are you with Object Oriented Programming? I'm pretty sure it'll be needed to individualise the stats for each player, but I never quite got my head around OOP.

Not overly comfortable, only touched on it briefly in the course i did.

So that's what happened to this - I thought someone had come up with a newer version, which is why I binned my efforts.
how far along did you get? I honestly feel like my efforts are not even halfway to a finished product

how far along did you get? I honestly feel like my efforts are not even halfway to a finished product
I was less advanced than that, I was trying to make sense of the old code and had made a small start on the match engine.

Mobbs

I recently revisited this and realised the limitations on my coding ability so I binned all the side features, the player selections screens and other menus etc. reduced the file size by 50%. If we need to select teams way easier to just type them into an excel file like this:

Then the program reads directly from the data.

Recently ran a test game successfully with some extent of individual player stats (no goals/behinds,free against being counted, and no involvement of followers or interchange have been coded yet)

At the conclusion of the 4th quarter the final stats were successfully exported to csv files

Occasionally kicks and handballs get missed on the individual level, I think it's because sometime the ball will be in neither team's possession but by the time the player in possession gets updated the kick/handball event has already occurred so the stat gets allocated to nobody. I could probably fix this by using followers as a get out.

Remind me how you've set the sim up to determine when followers get the ball and when interchange players come onto the field?

Mobbs

I recently revisited this and realised the limitations on my coding ability so I binned all the side features, the player selections screens and other menus etc. reduced the file size by 50%. If we need to select teams way easier to just type them into an excel file like this:

Then the program reads directly from the data.

Recently ran a test game successfully with some extent of individual player stats (no goals/behinds,free against being counted, and no involvement of followers or interchange have been coded yet)

At the conclusion of the 4th quarter the final stats were successfully exported to csv files

Occasionally kicks and handballs get missed on the individual level, I think it's because sometime the ball will be in neither team's possession but by the time the player in possession gets updated the kick/handball event has already occurred so the stat gets allocated to nobody. I could probably fix this by using followers as a get out.

Remind me how you've set the sim up to determine when followers get the ball and when interchange players come onto the field?
I'm a bit otherwise occupied at the moment so I apologise for tardiness.
1. I'm fearing your dropbox files are gonna try to make my computer open MS Office which I don't have and then my laptop will sit there for half an hour struggling with it's uselessness. So I haven't looked at them, but I believe you!
2a. How does the Sim determine when followers get the ball? From memory I think : When a ball is contested and a transaction follows that someone gets possession, I think there's just a moment where it rolls a die and on one roll applies the positional player for the possession winning team, if it rolls another way it's a follower who gets possession and the code goes on to a subsequent roll to randomly choose which follower (probably tempered to slightly reduce the ruck's chances against the other two).
2b. When interchange players come onto the field: This is another die roll transaction chance. I am quite sure it happens only when the ball is in possession of a player (as opposed to between goals, in contest, etc). The random chances are such things as: does he kick it? does he handball it? does he lose it to a free kick? etc. But just before that is another quick roll with a quite low chance that it will first embark on a "change" script. That's split into two: either an onfield swap or a swap with the bench. It's SUPPOSED to check the position on ground where the ball is, and avoid that region, but we all know that isn't working because Joe Blow can take a mark, then a change happens, and suddenly Joe Blow's replacement is taking the kick. Unsure how I ballsed that up so emphatically.

Did you want me to try to point out these areas of code? It might take me a while to get my arse into gear but I can do it for you.

I won the flag second year round. Essendon the only real challenger (they knocked us out in route to the 19 premiership) although GWS we’re capable too.

Trading mechanic still needs some work, as does the ratings (a lot of developing players underrated or overrated in particular) but still alright to crack out occasionally for a bit of fun.
Have you tried with the 2020 lists yet?

2b. When interchange players come onto the field: This is another die roll transaction chance. I am quite sure it happens only when the ball is in possession of a player (as opposed to between goals, in contest, etc). The random chances are such things as: does he kick it? does he handball it? does he lose it to a free kick? etc. But just before that is another quick roll with a quite low chance that it will first embark on a "change" script. That's split into two: either an onfield swap or a swap with the bench. It's SUPPOSED to check the position on ground where the ball is, and avoid that region, but we all know that isn't working because Joe Blow can take a mark, then a change happens, and suddenly Joe Blow's replacement is taking the kick. Unsure how I ballsed that up so emphatically.
I managed to get the followers integrated into the code fine, this is going to be a pain in the arse though. If I could just tell Headless to bugger off out of the league I'd basically have recreated the underlying sim engine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back