Sir Steven Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

He was there's no doubt but his stats are super inflated compared to the others mentioned, his average drops to 47 when you discount Pakistan as well, whole 10 runs lower than his career average while Ponting's drops to 48 just 3 runs lower.

Why on earth would you discount Pakistan. Hardly minnows and have fielded some very good bowlers over the course of Sanga’s career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've been shithouse for over decade no idea what you've been watching.

Are you actually serious? The quality of their bowling lineups over the course of well decades now is arguably unparalleled regardless of frequent self- implosions that have characterised the test side as a whole (but mostly their batting).

He was there's no doubt but his stats are super inflated compared to the others mentioned, his average drops to 47 when you discount Pakistan as well, whole 10 runs lower than his career average while Ponting's drops to 48 just 3 runs lower.
Last time I checked, Pakistan is a pretty good cricketing nation. Now that's just being pedantic.

Last time I checked, Pakistan is a pretty good cricketing nation. Now that's just being pedantic.
They have one bowler in the top 20 in the icc rankings, yea theyre amazing.

They've struggled to have constant top line bowlers since 2008 which is when Sangakkara batting took off.

Last edited:
They have one bowler in the top 20 in the icc rankings, yea theyre amazing.

They've struggled to have constant top line bowlers since 2008 which is when Sangakkara batting took off.
His record against them before 2008 was better than his record post 2008. Averaged 83 before 08, overall average 74 against them.

Sangakkara and his minnow bashing
Its a fact his batting average is heavy boosted from playing the weaker sides deal with it, even if you still included Pakistan which have been a terrible test team for a decade(only west indies have produced less quality of the main circuit test nations). Bangladesh alone boost his career average by 5 %.

Its a fact his batting average is heavy boosted from playing the weaker sides deal with it, even if you still included Pakistan which have been a terrible test team for a decade(only west indies have produced less quality of the main circuit test nations). Bangladesh alone boost his career average by 5 %.
Yet he still averages 61 batting at 3 against the main circuit teams when not keeping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never rated Kallis as high as some as a batsman. Struggled in the UK and Aus for long stretches of his career and unlike the top echelon of batsman couldn't counter attack as well as say Lara, Tendulkar, Ponting, Sangakarra.

I would have those 4, with Kallis and Dravid the next rung down.

Not really. A lot gets made of his "bullying" of lower ranked sides but Sanga made 150 against every country in the world, made a ton in every country except for the West Indies (where he only played 4 tests) and was a genuine superstar of the game.
He was a great player, but his performances at home and against lower ranked sides bolster his record far more than the other greats he is often mentioned in the same breath as.

Yes and I've never disputed his talent have I? But it's something you cant ignore when rating his test career as whole and it's why he's behind Kallis and Tendulkar in my eyes.
Because he averages more than them even with those removals for all. What's he supposed to do, not cash in against them?
He was a great player, but his performances at home and against lower ranked sides bolster his record far more than the other greats he is often mentioned in the same breath as.
Even when removing those teams he outranks them.

Sangakkara and Ponting are very difficult to split for mine.

Ponting has a larger body of work, but Sangakkara's stats (excluding BAN and ZIM) are a bit better.

At his peak I would take Ponting without question, but Sangakkara was more consistent and retired before he went into a protracted decline.

Aside from the orchestrated tampering, he didn’t have a great series with the bat on pitches that offer something to the bowlers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aside from the orchestrated tampering, he didn’t have a great series with the bat on pitches that offer something to the bowlers.

Seemed to struggle to get out of the mental cocoon that he made for himself; by the time the ODI's rolled around he seemed unable to make the necessary adjustments to his game; lost the ability to dictate terms to the bowlers through his stroke making.

Too much cricket. Dude needs a break mentally plus form.

Yeh he’s obviously very tired mentally... a ban from cricket may be a blessing in disguise, he needs a break away from it all and some perspective.

Definitely not in form now.

He's been primarily playing off the back foot for a couple of months and wafting outside off-stump. In form he plays more on the front foot and is more self-disciplined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back