Injury SJOGHCIU - Will the curse be lifted in 2024? LOL, not a chance. Rinse and repeat

Remove this Banner Ad

Official injury list (11) released 14/5

Season (1) :
• Noah Long (Knee) - Season (Was TBC)

Long Term (1) :
• R15+ Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (2) :
• R14-15 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-5 weeks (Was 4-6 weeks)
• R13-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 3-4 weeks (Was 4-5 weeks)

Short Term (4) :
• R12-13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 2-3 weeks (Was 3-4 weeks)
• R11-13 Jack Petruccelle (Ankle) - 1-3 weeks (New)
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 1-2 weeks (Was 2-3 weeks)
• R11-12 Harry Barnett (Shin) - 1-2 weeks (Was 2-3 weeks)

Test (3) :
Elliot Yeo (Groin) - Test (Was 1-2 weeks)
• Clay Hall (Hand) - (New)
Jeremy McGovern (Internal) - (New)

Jake Waterman and Zane Trew have both been taken off the injury list after being cleared through their respective concussion protocols

Injury list doesn’t include Tyler Brockman who won’t play for an indefinite period due to personal reasons following a late night car accident in Geraldton

Sure, his PCL, MCL, and LCL are basically just dust, but his ACL is fine!
When I did my knee it was the MPFL (medial patellofemoral ligament). Hurt like a muddafuka.

It’s the part that holds the knee cap in place. When it went, the force of the patella going where it shouldn’t shaved part of the bottom of the femur off. Doc pulled out a decent (10c piece) bit of bone out and gave it to me when I was in recovery to get an understanding of why it hurt so much!

So there’s another acronym to throw in the mix!

Last edited:

Official injury list (11) released 7/5

Long Term (2) :
• R?? Noah Long (Knee) - TBC (New)
• R15 Elijah Hewett (Foot) - Post Bye (No change)

Medium Term (3) :
• R13-15 Rhett Bazzo (Groin) - 4-6 weeks (No change)
• R13-14 Oscar Allen (Knee) - 4-5 weeks (Was 4-6 weeks)
• R12-13 Cal Jamieson (Hamstring) - 3-4 weeks (Was 4-5 weeks)

Short Term (5) :
• R11-12 Matt Flynn (Knee) - 2-3 weeks (Was 3-4 weeks)
• R11-12 Harry Barnett (Shin) - 2-3 weeks (New)
• R10-11 Elliot Yeo (Groin) - 1-2 weeks (New)
• R10-11 Jake Waterman (Concussion) - 1-2 weeks (New)
• R10 Zane Trew (Concussion) - 1 week (Was 1-2 weeks)

Test (1) :
Jayden Hunt (Toe) - Test (New)

Injury list doesn’t include Tyler Brockman who won’t play for an indefinite period due to personal reasons following a late night car accident in Geraldton

When I did my knee it was the MPFL (medial patellofemoral ligament). Hurt like a muddafuka.

It’s the part that holds the knee cap in place. When it went, the force of the patella going where it shouldn’t shaved part of the bottom of the femur off. Doc pulled out a decent (10c piece) bit of bone out and gave it to me when I was in recovery to get an understanding of why it hurt so much!

Just rub some dirt on it you woos!

The complete radio silence on Bazzo who has been either “5-6 weeks” or “4-6 weeks” for the last 5-6 weeks is making me extremely annoyed and concerned.
I'd appreciate it if they had let us know that they would be not providing regular updates for him just to give him space as he's had a rough time of it. The silence though is just rough.

It was a Long wait for that news. Good to hear it’s not an acl.
Must be right on the edge of requiring surgery, may be waiting for a second opinion.

Yeo and Waterman 1-2 is also good news. Hope they don’t rush Yeo.

Club is obviously unsure on Bazzo and Hewett recovery. Haven't turned the corner yet, which isn’t great but hopefully they’re just being cautious with important players for our future.

I did mine too, was excruciating. Lived in a small town at the time, so they only had an X-ray machine, maybe a CAT scan.

Three or four years later we were mucking around playing 'rugby' on the beach, my idiot mate tackled me from behind while taking a break - had an almighty crunch, couldn't walk.

Turned out the tendon had pulled a chunk of my patella off with it. Was floating around the whole time.

Anyway, I'm sure Long will be just fine!

It was a Long wait for that news. Good to hear it’s not an acl.
Must be right on the edge of requiring surgery, may be waiting for a second opinion.

Yeo and Waterman 1-2 is also good news. Hope they don’t rush Yeo.

Club is obviously unsure on Bazzo and Hewett recovery. Haven't turned the corner yet, which isn’t great but hopefully they’re just being cautious with important players for our future.
It's strange how Hewett gets the vague "post bye" timeline whereas Bazzo sits at 4-6 weeks semi-permanently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be one of those that suggest being extra cautious with Bazzo, Hewett and Long suits us perfectly. If they don't play again this year, fine, even if I'm selfish to want to see all three string a few together in the back half of the season.

We aren't contending this year (and next, let's be honest, barring a miracle) and we want to make sure three young players who we know can belong at AFL level get everything right.

Did anything happen with the Subiaco surface in the late 90's/early 2000's? I remember 2001 being particularly bad for knees.

I doubt it was done on purpose but inferring the possibility Long had done an ACL was a pretty good way of softening the news that he has a potentially season ending PCL instead

I doubt it was done on purpose but inferring the possibility Long had done an ACL was a pretty good way of softening the news that he has a potentially season ending PCL instead

ACLs are more common and straightforward to diagnose and surgery is required.

PCLs are rarer and more complicated, the extent of the injury trickier to diagnose, often other ligaments are damaged, and a decision for surgery might not be made straight away.

Hence why ACLs are diagnosed quicker than PCLs, due to the uncertainty of the course of action and recovery timeframe for PCLs.

Reckon Schoey was in on it? He was pushing the ACL rumours on multiple podcasts

I don’t think so. My sense is the fear of an ACL was real.

I don’t know for a fact, but the physical examination they do for an ACL is generally about 90% accurate, my sense tells me that this would drop if there was damage to other ligaments. ACL and PCL damage both result in knee instability.

I think that is why Simmo was less definitive about Longs injury than what he was about Culley’s last year. There was a genuine unknown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back