Research Small questions that don't require a whole thread

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coburg played the entire Essendon DFL Division 1 home and away season with a perfect 18-0 record. They then got belted by Deer Park in the Grand Final by 96 points AND got in the news for further wrong reasons thanks to Jordan Gloury's cowardly right hook.

Has there ever been a more humiliating defeat margin-wise in a Grand Final by a team who had a perfect H&A record (West Coburg wasn't perfect before the Grand Final since Deer Park had already thrashed them by 70 points in the semi final), or perfect record into Grand Final day?
India in the 2023 World Cup.

This covers VFL/AFL venues very well: AFL Tables - All Venues

There was a game at the Gabba in 1981:
View attachment 1865594
Thank you.

While I don't follow the SANFL very much these days, I absolutely doubt they would have played a game at Flemington in 1999, and suspect the same regarding a game at Bunbury. Most likely there was a 'glitch' or two on that otherwise excellent site!

Oh... that's a bit of a let down. The idea of an incursion into VFL territory, even if the "war" was over, was fascinating to me. Pretty disciplined from all state associations then, across codes too. I'm fairly certain before 1988, Rugby League, both Queensland and NSW, didn't even attempt "propaganda" (excepting the ACT with the NSW RL Canberra Raiders from 1982).

It makes the VFL venturing up to the Sydney and Brisbane a real nice niche.

I have a question (that probably doesn't require a whole thread of its own):

When did the player positions become formalised (back pocket, back flank etc) and did the terminology evolve from early days to the more stabilised form of the game by the time of the VFL -to early 1920's.

(I would also note, that the current usage of the term 'Substitute' in the modern game is an affront. Such a player is a Reserve and should be referred to as such. :))
Although it (starting in positions) had been suggested many times it was not until November 1890 it was included in the amended rules for the 1891 season.

Last edited:

Thank you.

Oh... that's a bit of a let down. The idea of an incursion into VFL territory, even if the "war" was over, was fascinating to me. Pretty disciplined from all state associations then, across codes too. I'm fairly certain before 1988, Rugby League, both Queensland and NSW, didn't even attempt "propaganda" (excepting the ACT with the NSW RL Canberra Raiders from 1982).

It makes the VFL venturing up to the Sydney and Brisbane a real nice niche.
There's also the Rugby League Tables site, which may be of interest if you're not aware of it: Rugby League Tables & Statistics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back