So what's actually changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

• crisper movement in the middle, but that’s largely due to new recruits as well
  • no Jones, and injuries defence has receded and don’t appear confident. The punch seems to be always option 1, even when taking a mark is a high probability
  • fit Charlie has shown what we knew all along, but we still have terrible small forwards
  • still giving up Teagues gifts (5 goals+ conceded in a row) about every 2nd game...
  • Cripps is fit.

Something I've noticed with Cripps specifically is when he's forward he's no longer playing as a deep forward/tall target. Basically he goes inside 50 and sits at around 35m out.

Notice most of his goals this year have been from around that 35-45m mark.

Very smart move I think. He's not a forward, doesn't have the craft, but if he can just drift into the edge of the forward line often he'll be marked by mids instead of defenders or left alone as players await the deep entry. He doesn't really need forward nous to do that.

Something I've noticed with Cripps specifically is when he's forward he's no longer playing as a deep forward/tall target. Basically he goes inside 50 and sits at around 35m out.

Notice most of his goals this year have been from around that 35-45m mark.

Very smart move I think. He's not a forward, doesn't have the craft, but if he can just drift into the edge of the forward line often he'll be marked by mids instead of defenders or left alone as players await the deep entry. He doesn't really need forward nous to do that.
Plus he's sort out his kicking technique. Is he now our most reliable kick at goal?

Big step up from Cripps. Obviously had a really good preseason.

Hewett/Cerra recruits - massive diff to what we’re use to.

Charlie is improving. More mobile and leaping.

Kennedy is continuing his good form from late last season. His recent tog numbers is a bit of a worry. Hopefully due to soreness and nothing else.

New coaching group so a fresh start for many..bit more eagerness/motivation.

I was talking to someone on the weekend about us and I've heard numerous commentators say that we'll need another pre-season before we can properly gel with our defence and also going inside 50.

I know what Goodwin was further into his stint as coach than Voss is at Carlton but I see similarities going inside 50 that I saw with Melbourne in 2020 when they finished 9th with a 9-8 win loss record and I remember the media during that year saying the midfield and the forwards didn't really gel. I think from memory they removed Brendan McCartney and things clicked for them.

Back to us.... I don't think we hit up a leading forward enough and Charlie seems to get too deep inside 50 and then competes against Harry. Firstly, in my opinion they shouldn't be in the same area to compete against each other as that limits our options going forward and brings their key defenders into play. I'm confident we can sort that out though and be better again during this season and the next.

Thought it might be worth revisiting this now that we have a bigger sample size to work from.
The biggest change IMO: last year we would find a way to lose, this year we are finding a way to win.

We've been adding layers to our game in season. Early rounds we had weaknesses exposed like the opposition switching the ball into the corridor or us not being able to transition out of D50. The last few games we've shown stronger defensive structure across the ground, which slows the opposition movement. But we've also been able to move the ball laterally and find players in space to make the transition. That needs to be tested against better opposition, but compared to previous years where the same problems seemed to haunt us all season without notable structural changes, this in-season development has been such a relief.

All the previous points are very strong,I think having a very competitive bottom 6 players have added to the strength of the team and overall performance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Happy New Year Celebration GIF by Faith Holland

I think a team of coaches that actually have a semblance of a game plan that;
  • suits our list
  • and addressed pretty well a lot of our deficiencies of past years
  • a lot simpler
With that, players begin to not overthink and with wins earn trust. Then unlike Teague and some predecessors who constantly had to spend the week trying to fix those big deficiencies they're now able to invest that time in adding layers and fine tuning the smaller things, of which yesteryear those smaller things continued to rear their head over and over again due to not having time to address them.

And a president, CEO and footy department on the same page.

All the previous points are very strong,I think having a very competitive bottom 6 players have added to the strength of the team and overall performance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bottom 6 players aren't being exposed by poor system. Jack Newnes or Plowman aren't better players than they were 1 year ago. The lack of pressure on the ball coming out of defence exposed everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it might be worth revisiting this now that we have a bigger sample size to work from.
The biggest change IMO: last year we would find a way to lose, this year we are finding a way to win.

We've been adding layers to our game in season. Early rounds we had weaknesses exposed like the opposition switching the ball into the corridor or us not being able to transition out of D50. The last few games we've shown stronger defensive structure across the ground, which slows the opposition movement. But we've also been able to move the ball laterally and find players in space to make the transition. That needs to be tested against better opposition, but compared to previous years where the same problems seemed to haunt us all season without notable structural changes, this in-season development has been such a relief.

Correct, I just re read my post above about cohesion going forward and despite losing Harry we seem to be going ok. Time will tell.

All the previous points are very strong,I think having a very competitive bottom 16 players have added to the strength of the team and overall performance.
Fixed for ya! :) (given that we've used > 30 players this year and still having success.)

Mongrel in the middle. Haven’t had it since 95
Well said!

Everyone underestimates the importance of the engine room. Rugby has 15 players on ground and yet those who know call it a five-man game.

AFL is no different - you can have the best forwards in the game and if they don't get to see the ball they are useless clowns and you can have the best defensive team in the game and if their opposition gets to see too much of the ball they are all witches hats.

The only thing that is holding me back from serious chest puffery is the impact of missing Harry, Pittonet and McGovern ( and now Williams ) out with LTI and the fear of seeing TDK and or Weitering go down. Get these blokes back and watch the midfield dominance convert into bigger wins.

Can't wait!

A big change that I'm seeing is players having more confidence in their own abilities and also the trust and confidence in their teammates to back them up. This seems to have been enabled by better systems as well.

Footy is a pretty simple game, you get a certain amount of the basics right and you're well on the way. Playing as a team is huge, as is being prepared to sacrifice for your teammates.

noun
noun: belief; plural noun: beliefs
  1. 1.
    an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.
    "his belief in extraterrestrial life"
    • something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion.
      "we're prepared to fight for our beliefs"

A big change that I'm seeing is players having more confidence in their own abilities and also the trust and confidence in their teammates to back them up. This seems to have been enabled by better systems as well.

Footy is a pretty simple game, you get a certain amount of the basics right and you're well on the way. Playing as a team is huge, as is being prepared to sacrifice for your teammates.
I could be wrong, and maybe this is just a perception thing.

But I think where I've noticed this manifest most is in not seeing as many "2 or 3 players to an opponent with the ball, leaving spare opponents free". That seemed to be something the team was doing a lot last year, especially as the situation became more dire. But this year there is a distinctly different mindset at play.

I’m getting more and more confident every week but still a little wary considering we’ve play 3 bottom 5 sides the last three weeks. Some ripping games over the next 6 weeks will be very exciting

I see us having ,much more composure with the ball. We are passing to a team mate in a better position and then transitioning. it makes a world of difference, our forwards are being hit up to their advantage far more often. This is building our confidence and our skills are seemingly better- less fumbling and quicker movement

Many key ingredients to running a professional football club have come together over the last year or so starting with the incoming Luke Sayers.

I mean he was saying a lot of things and tbh I was thinking it’s just another new campaigne but he has duly delivered.

Carlton feels so much more like a professional football club now.

We can look forward to each weekend with much more confidence.

Good times ahead.

Said it earlier in the year, will say it again.

It's simple. We've grown up.

Off the field we're stable with great leadership. On it we've clicked, matured and become more ruthless.

Just wait until we're healthy...

It helps our fitness levels seems to have lifted too, we no longer seem to run out of puff during the 3rd quarters and 2nd half, which was a regular occurance under Teague.

There is still significant improvement and growth in our team too, aside from still having some injuries as you say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back