Sportal's preview of tomorrow's game

Remove this Banner Ad

Crunchbone

Debutant
Oct 4, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can anyone confirm my suspicions that Jon Pierik is a one-eyed Collingwood fan? Not the most even handed review of a game I've read this year...

Preview: Western Bulldogs v Collingwood
09/07/2009 2:52 AM
Jon Pierik
Sportal

VENUE & TIME: MCG, Friday July 10, 7.40pm (AEST)
HEAD TO HEAD: Played: 141, Collingwood 99, Western Bulldogs 41, Drawn 1
LAST TIME: Collingwood 15.9 (99) def Western Bulldogs 13.11 (89), Round 13, 2008 at the MCG

WALKING WOUNDED: Classy forward Daniel Giansiracusa (knee) is still at least another month from resuming but Tom Williams (foot) could return. Anthony Rocca (achilles) is being nursed with the Magpies hopeful he will be fit for September.

FORM: This pits third (the Bulldogs) against fourth (the Magpies) and both teams enter this clash in excellent touch. The Magpies have peeled off six straight wins, including a comprehensive demolition of the Bombers in Round 14. The Bulldogs have won seven of the past eight, including a stunning 88-point mauling of Hawthorn in Round 14. The Dogs have clearly had the edge of the Magpies in recent times, winning five of their past six games - with their last loss coming in Round 9, 2006.

WHO'S HOT: Josh Fraser won redemption for his Anzac Day meltdown by delivering one of his finest performances in the win over the Bombers. He had 23 touches and 35 hit-outs in demolishing Paddy Ryder. Alan Didak has been on a tear in the past month. He had 35 touches, many creative, against the Bombers. Dane Swan has also had a great year, averaging a team-high 32 touches and using his strength around the stoppages. Shane O’Bree doesn’t attract the headlines, but the hard-working midfielder has a team-high 79 tackles. A whopping 80 per cent of Heath Shaw’s possessions are uncontested, so the Dogs will have to halt his run. The Bulldogs’ midfield will also be hard to handle, with the likes of Matthew Boyd (27 possessions per week), Daniel Cross (25), Adam Cooney (25) and Ryan Griffin (21) in good touch. Small forward Shaun Higgins has also been in great touch, while Robert Murphy has done the job since moving to the backline.

WE THINK: A tough one but we think the Pies will have the edge. Travis Cloke’s return to form couldn’t have come at a better time, while the likes of Didak, Dale Thomas, the emerging Dayne Beams, Leon Davis and Swan all contribute on the scoreboard. There’s a lot riding on this. If the Bulldogs prevail, they could move two games clear of the Magpies and Crows but Mick Malthouse will have his men primed to stop that. Collingwood by 12 points.

Usually I dont mind Sportal's previews, but this terrible one this week obviously reveals that they're written by a pies fan. :thumbsdown:

On the flip side, here's the AFL.com one, written by Jennifer Whitham (who I think is a dogs supporter).

SUMMARY
While last round was headlined by the highly anticipated clash between first and second on the ladder, this weekend will be kicked off when third meets fourth on Friday night at Docklands. With the exception of the ladder leaders, these are form sides of the competition and promise an enthralling contest to open round 15.

The Bulldogs are coming off possibly the most surprisingly one-sided contest this season. They stunned last year's premiers in the first quarter of Saturday night's clash with a nine-goal first quarter, and kept the Hawks goalless until the third term. In the past five weeks, the Dogs have won by an average margin of just over 62 points, and have increased their first-quarter scoring power from an average of two goals to over five.

Their defenders Brian Lake and Ryan Hargrave are in rare form, Matthew Boyd and Adam Cooney are performing strongly in the midfield, and young tagger Liam Picken has become an important part of the side as the designated shut-down player.

The Magpies are also coming off an important win, having sought revenge on the Bombers for their Anzac Day come-from-behind triumph. Their recent wins, while are also over sides ranked low on the ladder, have also been quite convincing, with the biggest margin of 84 points coming against Fremantle in round 13.

Alan Didak was in terrific form again on Friday night for 35 possessions, while Dane Swan continued to impress with 29, ruckman Josh Fraser moved back into solid form in the battle of the big men and Travis Cloke kicked four goals.

PLAYER TO WATCH
Callan Ward (Western Bulldogs)
The young tough nut has had a quiet few weeks after a dominating display against Port Adelaide in round 12. In his second year, Ward plays with the courage of a much more experienced player, and has shown he can respond to lulls in his form with mature performances. Will it be this week on the big stage?

Josh Fraser (Collingwood)
The big man was slammed for his Anzac Day showing against Essendon, but came back last week with 35 hit-outs and 23 disposals against the Bombers in the rematch. This week, he faces much bigger opponents in Will Minson and Ben Hudson – can he be as influential?

QUESTION MARKS
The Bulldogs have often caught the Magpies out for pace in recent head to heads – how much have the Pies improved in this area since the last time they met in the middle of last year?

Is there a danger the Dogs will have a let down after destroying the Hawks a week ago?

The Pies have won just five from their past nine games at Docklands and have been to the venue just twice this year. Will the Dogs take a home-ground advantage and expose the Pies for their lack of Docklands experience?

WHO WILL WIN AND WHY
The Bulldogs are fast and have many midfielders playing well, particularly Matthew Boyd, who is in career-best form. They also have suitable run-with defenders to nullify the Magpies' midfielders, and a settled backline that was outstanding against the Hawks last week.

The Pies are in good form too, and no one can argue with the impressive form line they've assembled. However, the Dogs are quick, have many forward options, and will be determined to prove last Saturday night was no fluke.

PREDICTION
Western Bulldogs by 13 points

Can anyone confirm my suspicions that Jon Pierik is a one-eyed Collingwood fan? Not the most even handed review of a game I've read this year...

Preview: Western Bulldogs v Collingwood
09/07/2009 2:52 AM
Jon Pierik
Sportal

VENUE & TIME: MCG, Friday July 10, 7.40pm (AEST)
HEAD TO HEAD: Played: 141, Collingwood 99, Western Bulldogs 41, Drawn 1
LAST TIME: Collingwood 15.9 (99) def Western Bulldogs 13.11 (89), Round 13, 2008 at the MCG
Rightio then. Whatever he reckons.

lol, it looks like he's edited the article. He fixed the errors and changed his prediction from 12 points to 5. hahaha.

Based on him realising it was the Bulldogs who won last year, not Collingwood? What a tool.

Usually I dont mind Sportal's previews, but this terrible one this week obviously reveals that they're written by a pies fan. :thumbsdown:

On the flip side, here's the AFL.com one, written by Jennifer Whitham (who I think is a dogs supporter).

Are we reading the same articles? I can't see much wrong with them. Both say the same sorts of things about the strengths and queries for both teams, and both express a view about the result of the game which varies only by about 3-4 goals.

Run of the mill journalism but no great bias on display as far as I can see.

I see this as a real danger game and wouldn't be too surprised if we got rolled by the Pies. The let-down factor (see Witham article) is a real risk IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously cant wait for this game. If we play like we did last week I cant see anyone beating us. GO DOGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not interested in the slightest what Pierik thinks.

All I can remember of him is that he used to report on the cricket for the Hun. Just another hack journo with no idea.

Are we reading the same articles? I can't see much wrong with them. Both say the same sorts of things about the strengths and queries for both teams, and both express a view about the result of the game which varies only by about 3-4 goals.

Run of the mill journalism but no great bias on display as far as I can see.

I see this as a real danger game and wouldn't be too surprised if we got rolled by the Pies. The let-down factor (see Witham article) is a real risk IMO.
I think the major issue is with the detail. The first bloke gave about twice as much in his 'who's hot' section for the pies, while for the dogs he could basically just mention their average possessions.

I think the major issue is with the detail. The first bloke gave about twice as much in his 'who's hot' section for the pies, while for the dogs he could basically just mention their average possessions.

The preview is fine. Shaw, Fraser and Didak have been killing it lately, far surpassing the contributions of some of their teammates. The Dogs have had 22 solid contributors each game the past two weeks so there's less to write about individuals. I know which side I'd rather have, especially given Picken will neutralise one of them :)

There'll be plenty of people tipping Collingwood tonight and he'll be just one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back