yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Hey fellow Freo -philes,

With lots of indoor time thrust upon us, I thought I'd start a list of sports movies that could entertain us.

As a more senior (in age) person on this site (I expect) I have seen quite a few flicks that entertain, & because we are all on this forum, we all are into sport.

Feel free to sledge any of my suggestions. God knows that I'm used to receiving flak on here, so go for it.

Initially, I considered making a top 5 or top 10, but instead, I'm just going to list any sports movie I can remember & give a little comment about each.

I am a "Yank-o-phile" & more of an Anglophobe when it comes to tv, movies & most other stuff as well, except British rom-coms for some reason, just so you all know my bias.

Here goes:

1. Field of Dreams - not hugely about the sport (baseball), but a beautiful tale & one that makes me tear up every time. Top 10 of all movies for me.
2. Any Given Sunday - flashy, yet gritty tale about American football, with coach and player stories & a fantastic movie. Serious contender for my top 10 of all time as well.
3. Draft Day - was on Netflix & I stumbled upon it, but it seems to have been removed. Great behind the scenes story about the draft again in American football. Loved this one.
4. Escape to Victory - Soccer. Older movie with Sylvester Stallone as goalie! Bobby Moore was in it & I saw him play 1 game for Inglewood Kiev when I was a kid (I think). Lots of soccer legends in the movie.
5. Bull Durham - Baseball. Kevin Costner's 3rd entry into my list. A fun, well acted movie with great dialogue, especially Costner's one ramble that people who have seen it will remember. Tim Robbins is a hoot in it.
6. Eight Men Out - baseball, again. The story of the Chicago White Sox (black sox) & the thrown world series.
7. Happy Gilmore - Golf. I don't like Adam Sandler (doesn't the main guy in Brooklyn 99 remind you of him as well, which is why I don't watch it, despite it looking OK?) but this movie is all fun & it has Apollo Creed in it!
8. Rocky movies - all of them. I had forgotten about them until I just wrote about the previous movie. Boxing of course, & I would happily watch any of them again. The back story about the first movie, about how Sly wrote it & would only sell it if he was allowed to play the title character is also cool.
9. Moneyball - baseball again. Interesting movie that has lead to a new term, often misused by punters about trading players. Really, a good movie & the song at the end is really cute. Lenka's song. My wife is a big Lenka fan.
10. A League of Their Own - baseball. Tom Hanks is great as the manager, but for mine the best character is the Jon Lovitz scout who signs up Geena Davis & her sister. He is hilarious.
11. The Club - It's about footy!!!! I admit, I haven't seen the whole thing, only snippets, so this one is on my to-do list, but it's about footy!!!!
12. Back to School - tenuous link to diving, but this has the legendary Rodney Dangerfield & it is a blast! Love, love, love this funny movie.
13. The Longest Yard - a remake of an older movie about American football, unfortunately has Adam Sandler (so unbelievable as a sportsman), but it contains some absolute beasts that will get you wanting to get into the home gym equipment. It does for me anyway. Chris Rock & Tracy Morgan are funny in it.
14. The Benchwarmers - a comedy about baseball. My son loved this when he was a little kid & I think it is good fun. Jon Lovitz is always funny in my book.
15. Goal I,II & III. - Junior loves soccer, so we have seen these. The first is good, & the second ok, but the 3rd less so, IMO, but still, if you like soccer, this could be for you.
16. Slap Shot - an old movie about ice hockey, that I've only seen bits of, but I rate ice hockey as the best live sport to watch. Only live, not on tv, so footy wins overall, but I love live ice hockey.
17. Space Jam - basketball. I'm not a basketball fan, in fact when I rank the big 4 American sports I go: 1. Ice Hockey - go Maple Leafs =2 Baseball - go Mets =2 Football - go 49'ers & basketball 4th - go Pelicans, but what's not to love about Michael Jordan playing amongst cartoon characters?
18. White Men Can't Jump - basketball. I like Woody Harrelson & Wesley Snipes was a great action man on screen, so this is one for the basketball fans.
19. Blades of Glory - ice skating. If you like Will Ferrell (I do) this is funny. For mine, Amy Poehler & Will Arnett steal the show.

There are definitely more, but I CBF writing much more & I'll let others add to this. Mods, move this if necessary :)

Now, here is a warning. There is an Aussie movie called Footy Legends & it is not about footy! It is about one of the rugby codes, so be careful if you have settled in to watch it.

If anyone has got Amazon Prime I just watched The Test. It follows the Australian Cricket team after the sand paper scandal. Not a cricket can but the best sports documentary I've seen in a long time.

Great idea for a thread.

I an a big fan of boxing and love any of the Rocky or Creed movies. Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights (the movie) were both good, focusing on High school American Football.

As far as AFL/VFL themed movies, The Club was great and I thought Year of the Dog was a great documentary.

Friday Night Lights (the series) is one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

Motorsport has good films. Senna, Rush, Daytona, Talladega Nights.

Friday Night Lights (the series) is one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

Motorsport has good films. Senna, Rush, Daytona, Talladega Nights.

If you enjoyed FNL check out All American on Stan.

Another couple of baseball movies...The Natural, a Barry Levinson film starring Robert Redford, Glenn Close, Kim Basinger and Robert Duval. A little bit of supernatural mixed in with the tales of a true story of a player named Roy Hobbs...highly recommend it.
Also, Trouble With the Curve, starring Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, Justin Timberlake and John Goodman. Pretty good film about an ageing baseball scout and his fractured relationship with his daughter.

A couple of others I liked...Tin Cup for golf enthusiasts and Slap Shot, for ice hockey fans who aren't squeamish!

Just quietly...how many ******* sports movies has Kevin Costner been in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone has got Amazon Prime I just watched The Test. It follows the Australian Cricket team after the sand paper scandal. Not a cricket can but the best sports documentary I've seen in a long time.
Easily the best thing I've watched this year. Destined to be an all time classic of the fly-on-the-wall genre. Marvellous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back