Squad for clash with Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see how your backline deals with Ottens, Playfair and Kingsley, Benno.

With Colbert out and Arch likely up forward, I don't see how we could not play Perry. Two talls and four smalls in the back six isn't going to cut it I don't think. Playfair hasn't shown much I know, but he's a big unit this season.

Someone on another site brought up the interesting notion of leaving Sav out. Obviously it's important that we win, but with Thompson, Petrie and Motlop down there, it could be a good chance to give Sav the week off and see how the other forwards fare without him down there taking the best defender.

Petrie Dish said:
but with Thompson, Petrie and Motlop down there, it could be a good chance to give Sav the week off and see how the other forwards fare without him down there taking the best defender.

I agree, but not when the best defender is Scarlett and Harley is no.2. We need Drew to get his hands on the footy early this year, and playing on a rookie ex VFL will help him do that. Scarlett is going to beat whoever he plays on.

^ True, last thing you want to do is have Thompson and Dish on the best FB and close to the best CHB in the league.

Would love to rest Arch, but if he's been named in the squad, I can't see how he won't play if fit.

Looks good- very young/inexperienced! Congrats to Roo/AFL debutants

The only thing that mystifies me is- no Grima? Hope hes not injured again:(

Line-up For Me

Line-up For Me

Back
Makepeace Watt Pratt
Half Back
Sinclair Brown Stevens
Centre
Wells Simpson Grant
Half Forward
Co.Jones Petrie Thompson
Forward
Motlop Rocca B.Harvey
Rucks
Hale Harris Rawlings
I/Change (6)
Archer Perkins Picione Sansbury McIntosh Perry

Emergencies
Ben Schwarze
Leigh Harding
Michael Firrito

Like this side.

Go Roos

Would leave out:

Spud - Picione gets the nod for now;
Le Cras - Yep.
Schwarze - hasn't rated much of a mention so far, will only play if Dean wants options;
Sinclair - Some other guys may try out in a position Jess had then lost last season;

My Squad

b: Archer,Watt,Makepeace
hb: Sinclair,Brown,Perry
c: Rawlings,Simpson,Wells
hf: Motlop,Thompson,Petrie
f: Corey Jones,Rocca,B.Harvey
foll: Hale,Harris,Grant
bench: Firrito,Picioane,Pratt,McIntosh,Harding,Stevens
emerg: Perkins,Sansbury,Schwarze,Le Cras

Shinboners said:
Harris is in there - #4

No Ash Watson. Unless he's injured, it looks like he's going to have an uphill battle to retain his spot in the list for 2006.

Great to see some of the kids like McIntosh, Perry, Perkins, and co being named in the squad too.

Ahh thanks for that. I keep thinking of Harro wearing 14.

So does that mean that Blake and Harvey and guys that didnt get picked will be playin tomoro for port melbourne? if so might have to go down and have a look

benno87 said:
Perkins will play as we need to select a rookie by the beginning of the season.

whys that?

Perkins would have to be a shoe in ahead of the others, havent heard much about the other rookies, only Perkins

Even in the preseason they still don't fail with a selection shock or two. I'm very surprised Grima hasn't been selected, as he seems to have been talked up by the coaching staff the last few weeks. Would have preferred him over Piccioane or Firrito or Sansbury even.

Anyway, I just hope that McIntosh/Perry/Hale etc get plenty of ground time, and aren't left languishing on the bench too much. Will be interesting seeing how they go against pretty decent opposition.

Am trying to get my head around the Grima exclusion- doesn't appear to be injured: http://afl.com.au/?pg=wizard&spg=game7

So why's he missing?:( Been looking forward to seeing him for the last six months:(

I expect at least one of Hale & McIntosh will be on the ground throughout the game, if Thommo plays up forward- then we need a ruckman, Hale & McIntosh are it,so one of them has to be on the ground.

Go Roos

Grima must be injured! They cant be playing both Picionne and Firrito ahead of him, they are both the same type of big bodied players. I hope he isnt injured again and stars for Port Melb tom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't HAVE to promote a rookie straight away, do we? Yes, it may be an option, but I much prefer to exhaust the likely players from the list before rookie promotion. Obviously an injury changes the outlook.
I don't mind playing a rookie in the Wiz but for me, there is no rush to add a player.

Wels Eicke said:
Even in the preseason they still don't fail with a selection shock or two. I'm very surprised Grima hasn't been selected, as he seems to have been talked up by the coaching staff the last few weeks. Would have preferred him over Piccioane or Firrito or Sansbury even.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Grima hasn't been named, but maybe it's an issue of not being able to find the right Geelong opponent to match him up against?

Also, Laidley might be keen to see if Harris can last the whole game as the #1 in and under midfielder against Geelong.

Despite what the coach says about wanting to win the Wizza Wok, I still reckon there's a large element of experimentation, testing, and tweaking the side and game plan whenever we play these games.

Moti said:
Would leave out:

Spud - Picione gets the nod for now;
Le Cras - Yep.
Schwarze - hasn't rated much of a mention so far, will only play if Dean wants options;
Sinclair - Some other guys may try out in a position Jess had then lost last season;

Sinclair was very good in the intra club IMO. He'll play.

Walsh Bay said:
What's up with Cal Urch? Is he injured?

Urch has had a hamstring strain a few weeks ago. He would have been ok to play had it been a home and a way game. As he missed the intra club games, I'd say that him and Trotter (another hammy) will be eased into it through Port Melboune praccy games.

The Hippie said:
Wasn't Grima on our injury list a week ago, with JWS and someone else, with a hammy injury? I'd say that's why he wouldn't be in the squad.

yeah i agree. he must be injured. there is no chance Le Cras would warrant a spot before him, no matter what the reason of mismatches etc.

Le Cras selection tells me
(a) baird is in trouble...real trouble, which is a pitty the game where he assissinated Nick Riew. sticks in my mind.

(b) anyone else who is on the brink of selection must be going poorly.

(c) Le Cras has been given a spot that he can only lose, which is good for him, this maybe what he needs. maybe he has been going ok over pre season???

Hamish, Le Cras and Perkins all played for Port today so wont be playing Sunday, which should be interesting. Hale will have a big job rucking all day but i spose he has Thompson and Petrie to help him out there.

whykickamoocow said:
Hale will have a big job rucking all day but i spose he has Thompson and Petrie to help him out there.

I think it's a trio we have to try, given that Corey's form has been an ongoing concern for the last 5-6 years - as much as he might start the season as #1 ruck, here's a good time to test the back-ups, especially considering that'll be the line up for 2006-2010. If this combo will work to win us a flag in 2010, we have to find out in 2005 if they're up to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back