Mega Thread Squiggle 2017

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Final Siren, Feb 15, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Vintage

Vintage Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Time for an update yet? Please?

iluvparis likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Roovolution

Roovolution Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    No totals this year?

3. GreyCrow

GreyCrow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
    Squiggle 1/1

Go you good thing

Headless and iluvparis like this.
  4. GreyCrow

GreyCrow Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
    Squiggle had Bullies winning by 17 points

A month ago

2/2

vide0n, iluvparis, Headless and 3 others like this.
  5. Handsuper47

Handsuper47 Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Oh man the squiggle! Life has been misery without you!

6. ibd77

ibd77 Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Why isnt this thread pinned?

_DBF_ and Roovolution like this.
  7. BallaratBulldog

BallaratBulldog Premium Platinum

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Footscray VFL.
    Why isn't the site renamed bigsquiggle?

8. LittleG

LittleG Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Squiggle not going well today....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_DBF_ likes this.
  9. SJ

SJ Moderator

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Neither have the rest of us - and we know a lot more than it.

_DBF_ likes this.
  10. Dirty Bird

Dirty Bird Pokémon Master

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    #BostonStrong #RiseUp
    Got the crows right despite what bookies thought...

Roovolution and Danger Zone like this.
  11. Here2tellyouwhy

Here2tellyouwhy SA GREAT

West Coast
    Other teams:
    West Coast Eagles
    I picked the Crows that was one of the easy tips.
    One thing GWS have trouble with is scoring heavily without their midfield firing and they're missing a few.
    Crows will kick over 100 points almost every game this year.

Roovolution likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. FyfeToAdelaide

FyfeToAdelaide Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Squiggle currently has us only losing one game, geelong at Kardinia Park.

Headless likes this.
  13. ams4crows

ams4crows Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
    You could put your house on a Geelong to win that game.... Adelaide have only won there like 3? Times in 25 years!

14. EagleShore

EagleShore Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Big mover in the squiggle was (no big surprise), Port Adelaide. Beating Sydney was massive for that club and I for one had them falling further down the ladder. Time will tell all stories but clearly they were the biggest winner.

Second was Adelaide - their convincing win against GWS even at home saw their attack move frighteningly straight up...commensurate slide on GWS's defence.

Headless likes this.
  15. SJ

SJ Moderator

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Actually it has Adelaide losing six games in total (it just doesn't know which ones). What you mean is it has Adelaide favourite in every game but one.

16. FyfeToAdelaide

FyfeToAdelaide Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I know what i mean.

Paladin, 40porpoise, drazah and 5 others like this.
  17. MWPP

MWPP Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I had Port in my top 8 unlike many other people (and the Crows first )
    And tipped them both this round (Port as my upset , but still)
    But maybe even I underestimated them
    https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2017-ladder-predictions.1147631/page-223#post-49039083
    I also had the Pies in my top 8 (which, after their showing against the dogs , doesn't look too far off the mark )

18. SJ

SJ Moderator

Geelong
    Other teams:
    It doesn't have Adelaide losing only one game then.

upload_2017-3-27_9-46-17.png

BotsMaster and Tassie_Tiger like this.
  19. MWPP

MWPP Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    FyfeToAdelaide is probably referring to individual games
    (Of course , squiggle counts a 0.51 chance of a win as 0.51 of a win- which is a much better way of doing it!)

Round 23 is on a knife edge - 1 point win to Adelaide and yet 0.5 wins each :p

20. SJ

SJ Moderator

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Yes exactly - I know what he means, but when he says "Squiggle currently has us only losing one game" that is actually incorrect and not at all what the Squiggle is doing. When the Squiggle tips a team it actually does not have it necessarily winning.

tnk64, iluvparis and MWPP like this.
  21. lamby

lamby Premium Gold

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Fulham
    But Port have always looked 'the best team in the comp' in a number of games a year. For the last couple of years they also look like they can't be bothered trying for more games than not. It is pretty easy to be up for the first game of the year. Let's see if Hinkley can get them 'up' more times this year.

Matt Stevic likes this.
  22. Final Siren

Final Siren Mr Squiggle

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Round 1, 2017

[​IMG]

What's better than beating the premiership favourite by 56 points? Doing it while the second premiership favourite goes down in a screaming heap at home to Port Adelaide!

[​IMG]

Last year, the Squiggle had a torrid love affair with the Crows, who offered a blistering attack of the kind the squiggle can't resist, and then, just when it seemed like all sizzle and no steak, and the squiggle's friends were like, "He's no good for you, he can't be trusted, and he rides a motorcycle," began delivering solid defensive efforts as well. Adelaide were Squiggle's Flagpole pick from mid-season right up until Round 23, when a catastrophic home loss to West Coast dumped them from 2nd to 5th. And two finals later, they were gone.

But now they're back! And doing the exact same thing, lifting off vertically, by scoring more than expected while holding their opponent in check.

Adelaide had the best week, but Port's was also huge. Sure, Sydney have a history of starting the season slowly, but they were still widely expected to account for the Power, and didn't. As a result, Port bounced right up into Top 8 territory:

[​IMG]

There are four teams there all on 11 predicted wins from 8th to 11th, so that will change very easily.

Then there's Essendon, who answered the question, "So will the Bombers be much better this season?" with, "For now, yes!"

West Coast, Melbourne, and Richmond also had great weeks. In particular, they kicked big scores, even moreso than the rest of the competition. That's a bit of a Round 1 trend; at least, if two years including this one can make a trend. Last year it faded away, with average scores winding up only a little above the long-term average.

Gold Coast's week was the worst, despite the big comeback, since they dropped a game to the wooden spoon favourite and probably had the most disappointing result of the bottom 6. But Hawthorn's was pretty bad, too.

Flagpole! This is a premier predictor that rates performances based on how similar they are to those from past premiership-winning teams. In practice, this mostly means that it cares more about attack than defense, since attacking teams have won a lot of flags over that period, while defensive teams have been coached by Ross Lyon.

[​IMG]

Live squiggle!

P.S. Sorry for the graphical glitchiness that makes GWS and Adelaide's squiggle lines a bit thin this week. Will be better next week.

23. nameless

nameless Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Woo - my bet of Adelaide to make the GF looking a lock.

Spending my winnings tonight!

Chief and Roovolution like this.
  24. Rotayjay

Rotayjay Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Last year I was happy to find favour with Lord Squiggle. But Lord Squiggle is fallible and the Bulldogs won the premiership from a less-than-ideal squiggle position. If sport was totally predictable and the 'technically stronger' side always won, we wouldn't watch sport.

The win against GWS is cause for optimism, but Adelaide will be measured by their match-ups with flag contenders away from home, and (more importantly) finals. If they get there - no guarantees.

The Crows have been a leading attacking side since 2014, when the current forward line was taking shape - Walker had just returned from his ACL, Podsiadly was still playing and Betts proving to be a terrific new acquisition.

Fast forward to now, and when the Crows have a good game they usually get 5-10 goals out of the 'usual suspects' plus quite a few midfield goals. But then suddenly they have a game like the ones against Geelong or Rd 23 against WCE. The midfield gets smashed and the talented forward line is rendered a shadow of its usual self. The midfield goals disappear as well, obviously. That also happened when it really counted - in two consecutive semi-finals against strong midfields. Adelaide managed 61 points in the 2015 SF, and 82 in the 2016 SF.

The challenge for Don Pyke this season will be maintaining the ruthless attack while preventing the still-questionable midfield from being beaten and thus choking the scoring. Being at the ground yesterday, I actually don't know how they suddenly kicked all those goals in the second half. It was a pleasant surprise, but there won't be that much time and space in September.

dr miracle, davos44 and Brentmeister like this.
  25. Xtreme

Xtreme Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Overly generous to Hawthorn..... unlike Mick and Carlton I fail to see where the Hawks will win a game this year... j/k :D

Gotta keep fighting and turn things around after round 1.