Staging for dangerous tackle frees is more common than ducking ever was

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
I've never seen more heads hit the ground from normal looking tackles than in 2024.

In trying to eradicate dangerous tackles the AFL is inadvertently encouraging players to dive into the turf whenever they get touched.

With every rule change there's always a bunch of players who can't earn a genuine kick who find a way to pad their stats. Won't be long until a player knocks themselves out diving into the ground trying to milk a free - I bet the guy tackling gets a month too.

The poster boy is for this shameful act is Geelongs Tanner Bruhn. Not only is he a turf diver he's also perfected the art of looking dazed for a few seconds to really sell the contact to the umpires. If his AFL career doesn't work out I'm sure Channel 7 will snap him up for a role on Home and Away.

I've never seen more heads hit the ground from normal looking tackles than in 2024.

In trying to eradicate dangerous tackles the AFL is inadvertently encouraging players to dive into the turf whenever they get touched.

With every rule change there's always a bunch of players who can't earn a genuine kick who find a way to pad their stats. Won't be long until a player knocks themselves out diving into the ground trying to milk a free - I bet the guy tackling gets a month too.

The poster boy is for this shameful act is Geelongs Tanner Bruhn. Not only is he a turf diver he's also perfected the art of looking dazed for a few seconds to really sell the contact to the umpires. If his AFL career doesn't work out I'm sure Channel 7 will snap him up for a role on Home and Away.
you arent wrong

Tell us about a few. I've seen a couple of moronic commentators jumping at shadows and that's about it.

lol. U cannot be cereal.

Last edited:
I don't put anywhere near enough effort into my posts to go looking for video clips.
Maybe just describe the game in which they have happened. The players involved. Stuff like that.

Thanks Chief. This is the sort of coaching I need to improve my posting quality.

I will consider this feedback and how I can incorporate it into future efforts.
Yes, otherwise we end up with fact-free, over-generalised crap posts like the OP.

Thanks m8.

OK Chief having considered your feedback I have revisited my original point re: Tanner Bruhn with some more information to share.

Over the years there have been no less than 127 male characters on the TV series Home and Away, a long-running Australian drama with 8,264 episodes across 37 seasons.

Each season follows a standard plot in where 1 or more characters die in the finale. Several other characters typically die throughout the year as a result of car crashes or medical issues. The complete list of actors to feature on Home and Away is as follows: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Home_and_Away_characters

What this highlights to me is there is a rotating roster of actors to feature in the show, with several new actors being introduced into new roles every year single year.

There is also precedence for known individuals who are not professional actors to be featured on the show. Most noteworthy is Sam Frost, who was a former contestant on The Bacheor, and featured on the show between 2017-2022.

I believe that if Tanner's manger was to package up some of his best acting jobs on the field that he would be strongly considered for a role on the show in 2024 and beyond.

I also found this website which explains the process for auditioning for a role on Home and Away - https://www.stagemilk.com/how-to-audition-for-home-and-away/

I hope this amendment to my original post now means it is no longer considered "fact-free, over-generalised crap".

Pistol Night FYI I believe you were interested too.

I don't know that your strategy of wasting my time on a Monday morning is going to work out well for your access to this web site.

Nothing certain yet, but I'm not optimistic.

I take a step further back. The AFL has decided to stop players from slinging or dumping opponents in a tackle. Fair enough. Then, for some unknown reason, they have instructed umpires not to pay holding the ball. So, we are seeing players given ridiculous amounts of time to dispose of the ball.

Therefore, when a player lays a tackle, what is he supposed to do? Hang onto their opponent, waiting for the umpires to make up their minds as to how long they have to dispose of the ball. In frustration, the tackler is forced to drag the player to the ground in order to gain a HTB decision.

The player being tackled knows he holds all the aces, goes to ground and deliberately makes contact on the ground with his head. The AFL has caused this. The solution? Pay HTB immediately, cease with this practice of allowing the player far too much time to dispose of the ball. It will also see far less sling tackles being laid; less players being suspended and missing games.

We are watching a game now where players are flicking the ball around so quickly, we can see up to 4 players touch the ball within a second. Why then do we give the player with the ball forever to dispose of it once tackled?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take a step further back. The AFL has decided to stop players from slinging or dumping opponents in a tackle. Fair enough. Then, for some unknown reason, they have instructed umpires not to pay holding the ball. So, we are seeing players given ridiculous amounts of time to dispose of the ball.

Therefore, when a player lays a tackle, what is he supposed to do? Hang onto their opponent, waiting for the umpires to make up their minds as to how long they have to dispose of the ball. In frustration, the tackler in forced to drag the player to the ground in order to gain a HTB decision.

The player being tackled knows he holds all the aces, goes to ground and deliberately makes contact on the ground with his head. The AFL has caused this. The solution? Pay HTB immediately, cease with this practice of allowing the player far too much time to dispose of the ball. It will also see far less sling tackles being laid; less players being suspended and missing games.

We are watching a game now where players are flicking the ball around so quickly, we can see up to 4 players touch the ball within a second. Why then do we give the player with the ball forever to dispose of it once tackled?
Nah I think they are trying to stop the tackling or start to phase it out and the first thing to do there is to stop rewarding them and getting heavy handed on penalising minor infractions in tackling technique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back