Strategy STAND rule

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
I don’t mind the rule tbh. Has opened the game up a bit. Still felt we were able to apply our pressure game at times.

having said that the rule needs to be abolished for set shots. It looks absolutely ridiculous 😂😂

The reduced interchange is making the players so tired the standard by the 4th quarter is frankly pathetic. Turnovers galore.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
If they bring in the 'vfl density rule' into the seniors it's going to backfire

Only being allowed 3 player near dusty. Jack. Lynch. In the forward 50 wouldn't end well for the oppo.

Down the other end you'd guess Grimes. Vlastuin. Balta. Etc. Would do ok

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't really watch non-Richmond games too closely, but it appears this rule has settled down a bit.
Players seem to be able to move off the mark as soon as the player darts sideways in an obvious play on move without waiting for the umpire to call play on.
A bit like the protected zone rule settled down after the first batch of 50 metre penalties given away.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Don't really watch non-Richmond games too closely, but it appears this rule has settled down a bit.
Players seem to be able to move off the mark as soon as the player darts sideways in an obvious play on move without waiting for the umpire to call play on.
A bit like the protected zone rule settled down after the first batch of 50 metre penalties given away.
Umpires will be advised to crack down on it on sunday

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
And the yelling out of "Stand.... stand... stand..." has settled thank *.

That was so incredibly annoying

Serenity_Now

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Haven’t seen that happen at all, umps have been a bit quicker to call play on around the ground though. The rule is still an absolute fail when it comes to set shots, the man on the mark needs to be able to move to compensate for players natural run ups that take them out to the side

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
That was my major beef the inconsistency and ability to control the instinct to move when the player plays on. I saw it many times last night (could only watch the last Q, Carlton Collingwood enough said), they gave latitude to the man on the mark, even just a step or two so they weren't complete witches hats.

That was my major beef the inconsistency and ability to control the instinct to move when the player plays on. I saw it many times last night (could only watch the last Q, Carlton Collingwood enough said), they gave latitude to the man on the mark, even just a step or two so they weren't complete witches hats.

As a 'rule' it is a bit all over the place as far as the en forcement- a number of players now opting to stay back off the mark, sometimes they are back far enough, other times they are not have to "Stand" still off the mark. Have seen umpires call the marking player to move 1, 2 or 3 metres repeatedly only to let the play move on (which I don't mind - but it's inconsistent). For the first time in my life I actually feel sorry for the umpire - it is so damn busy for them! This may well add to umpire burn out - time will tell. As much as we are enjoying the extra goals, it is pinging around so much I'm not convinced it is better overall - just more manic. Some seem to love it, but I'm not there yet. It's becoming too much of an uncontested game.

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
As a 'rule' it is a bit all over the place as far as the en forcement- a number of players now opting to stay back off the mark, sometimes they are back far enough, other times they are not have to "Stand" still off the mark. Have seen umpires call the marking player to move 1, 2 or 3 metres repeatedly only to let the play move on (which I don't mind - but it's inconsistent). For the first time in my life I actually feel sorry for the umpire - it is so damn busy for them! This may well add to umpire burn out - time will tell. As much as we are enjoying the extra goals, it is pinging around so much I'm not convinced it is better overall - just more manic. Some seem to love it, but I'm not there yet. It's becoming too much of an uncontested game.
I agree.
Personally, I feel the rule changes that are needed are just to simplify the damn things so that there is less grey in them and umpires can be more consistent.
Didn't watch much of last night, but sounded like a shocker.
Commentators calling out a no-call of incorrect disposal when a player was tackled immediately and attempted to handball but missed it. I hate that even the commentators are of the mind that holding the ball or dropping the ball when you had no prior is fine, but if you attempt to dispose of it and miss then that deserves a free against. Better off doing that ridiculous arm-pumping pretending you're trying to handball it.

I agree.
Personally, I feel the rule changes that are needed are just to simplify the damn things so that there is less grey in them and umpires can be more consistent.
Didn't watch much of last night, but sounded like a shocker.
Commentators calling out a no-call of incorrect disposal when a player was tackled immediately and attempted to handball but missed it. I hate that even the commentators are of the mind that holding the ball or dropping the ball when you had no prior is fine, but if you attempt to dispose of it and miss then that deserves a free against. Better off doing that ridiculous arm-pumping pretending you're trying to handball it.

You know it was bad when even Geelong supporters on FanFooty were calling it a shocking game of umpiring and they were certainly not looking for more Geelong frees!;)

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Almost two rounds in and this is the best rule change for over a decade.

Takes me back to the glory years of 67, 69, 73, 74 and sort of 80.
It's a s**t rule mate.
How friggin stupid does it look that the kicker can practically kiss the bloke on the dick and he has too stand there and take it.
But hey last kick oob is next..

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
It's a sh*t rule mate.
How friggin stupid does it look that the kicker can practically kiss the bloke on the dick and he has too stand there and take it.
But hey last kick oob is next..
No one goes to the footy to watch the man on the mark. Its such a non issue it wont be noticed in two weeks time.

Do agree with an earlier comment that when time-on is blown for a shot at goal the man on the mark should be allowed to do anything

No one goes to the footy to watch the man on the mark. Its such a non issue it wont be noticed in two weeks time.

Do agree with an earlier comment that when time-on is blown for a shot at goal the man on the mark should be allowed to do anything

I miss the cart wheel - bring back the cart wheel!

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Almost two rounds in and this is the best rule change for over a decade.

Takes me back to the glory years of 67, 69, 73, 74 and sort of 80.
you're quite spritely for a 90 yo.:p

don't mind the rule if only the umpires would call 'play on' the instant a player with the pill moves off line. no normal arc s**t.

don't mind the rule if only the umpires would call 'play on' the instant a player with the pill moves off line. no normal arc sh*t.

He's not that old..... but he did read about it on the Microfiche at his local library ;) :p Come back soon Baz!

Last edited:
May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond

don't mind the rule if only the umpires would call 'play on' the instant a player with the pill moves off line. no normal arc sh*t.

And the player with the ball should have to start lined up with man on mark. I noticed often the player with the ball already is "inside" and with a couple of steps can be more 5m wide of the man on mark.

Back