wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
This latest debacle is massive.....

He knew Gubby was under investigation and hired anyway and in the process, shafted Balme.
It now looks likely that Gubby will get banned which is on Ed.

Is it time we look at alternatives?

EDIT: For context.

Last edited:
This latest debacle is massive. . . . Surely we have to think about life after Ed?
Club is getting stale and needs a shakeup.
Maybe if things don't go well next year there will be wholesale changes.

why has tapping leaving been a debacle. assistant, vfl type coaches leave there clubs
all the time to better themselves and there careers.
dont get me wrong, would like taps to stay, but if you have to leave to help your career, you go

Ed bombing someone again?

Which latest debacle? Lol I feel so out of the loop at the moment

I think he's referring to the debacle around Cory Gault's future? o_O

He knew Gubby was under investigation and hired anyway . . . . Shafted Balme, a good football person.

Gubby will get banned. That's on Ed.

This is because of the ponies isn't it.

They mostly come out at night. Mostly. And frolic around wearing Clokey's skin like a jacket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He knew Gubby was under investigation? How do you know this exactly, considering the story didn't come out until well after we had hired him and given him his current role?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok then...maybe you could update the post to include your rationale?

Eddie hired a man he knew was under investigation for hiding a player from ASADA.
Now a) Is this the kind of person we want running our football department? and b) Is that a good business decision made by our "man in charge"?

Personally, I answer no to both of those questions and therefore... is my rationale.

Happy?

This is just another bad PR/business decision made by Eddie over the past 5 or so years. The man is stale and arrogant beyond words and before you give me the crap spiel... "But Eddie saved the club". Yes, he did, and we will always be indebted to the man but that doesn't mean we need to put him before the club.

Only debacle here is the thread

So you're ok with us knowingly hiring Gubby, forcing a great operator in Balme out the door and then watching our football director get banned... Which he deserves mind you.

See, this is exactly why our football department is beyond stuffed... Because we've rested on our laurels.

He knew Gubby was under investigation? How do you know this exactly, considering the story didn't come out until well after we had hired him and given him his current role?

The club released a statement saying they knew he was under investigation.

Edit: I should add the caveat wicksy that at the time, Collingwood was informed by ASADA and the AFL that Gubby had nothing to answer for and the investigations were being wrapped up.

I don't think you can lay the blame on Ed for this, the club did their due diligence.

Last edited:
Eddie hired a man he knew was under investigation for hiding a player from ASADA.
Now a) Is this the kind of person we want running our football department? and b) Is that a good business decision made by our "man in charge"?

Personally, I answer no to both of those questions and therefore... is my rationale.

Happy?

This is just another bad PR/business decision made by Eddie over the past 5 or so years. The man is stale and arrogant beyond words and before you give me the crap spiel... "But Eddie saved the club". Yes, he did, and we will always be indebted to the man but that doesn't mean we need to put him before the club.

This is the official club statement on the matter (dated 1st September) ...

http://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-01/changes-to-football-department-confirmed

"...
In response to recent media reports, the Collingwood Football Club would like to note the following:

The Collingwood Football Club was made aware by Graeme Allan, prior to his recruitment, that he is one of the subjects of an AFL investigation that relates to his time with Greater Western Sydney.

Collingwood was also made aware at this time that both GWS and the AFL had concluded or were concluding separate investigations into the matter.

From our discussions on this matter with various parties, Collingwood found no reason standing in the way of employing Allan.

The club would like to make it very clear to all that if, at any stage, information received about any member of staff that brings into question their behaviour Collingwood will deal with that information with the appropriate authorities.

..."

http://m.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-01/changes-to-football-department-confirmed

You're talking as if you are any inside knowledge of what the club plans? What contingency plan did they have in place in case this happens?

The guy is a great operator, he has been involved in a number of premierships, including at Collingwood, and he is a collision man through and through.

You are jumping at shadows to the point that it isn't even funny.

The club would like to make it very clear to all that if, at any stage, information received about any member of staff that brings into question their behaviour Collingwood will deal with that information with the appropriate authorities.

How very convenient....

What a crock of s**t. There's proof that they conspired to hide the kid away and Eddie would have known this.
In other words, because there was going to be no blow back, we were still happy to hire a guy who blatantly condoned drug use and in the current climate, this is unforgivable.

Now there is blow back and the person who hired the man should be held accountable.

It's how it would work at any organisation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back