worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Had to post something on my 2000th day as a Big Footy member: the stats for the QLD versus VIC game from 1991

img209.jpg

img210.jpg

Attendance: 8,519

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
In 1998 at Football Park there was a double header between South Australia and Western Australia, with one being a State of Origin game, and the other was between the best of the SANFL and the WAFL (aka the Westar Rules team). These are the stats for the State of Origin game:

img211.jpg

img212.jpg

crowd: 18,204

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
The only State of Origin game we don't have detailed stats for now is the NSW versus Queensland match from May 12, 1992.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
The only State of Origin game we don't have detailed stats for now is the NSW versus Queensland match from May 12, 1992.
Goalkickers and best players are all I have:-

NSW 22.9 (141) d. Qld. 6.12 (48)

NSW
Best - J Lawson, J Longmire, B Brownless, A Daniher, M Gayfer

Goals - J Longmire 8, B Brownless 4, T Daniher 2, M Werner 2, A Thomson, N Brunton, T Gray, R Neill, T Powell, A Barich

Qld.
Best - R Willetts, G Crosisca, S Handley

Goals - C Bell, J Cotter, J Grimley, R Willetts, B Stewart, R Jones

The 1993 AFL Media Guide calls it NSW vs. Qld. but with the likes of Barich, Neill, Gray and Werner playing it had to be a combined NSW/ACT team. Jamie Lawson must have played some game for the home team to be named ahead of Longmire in the best players!

NSW(/ACT) were coached by G Buckenara with T Daniher as captain. For Qld. it was N Dare and G Crosisca in those positions.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I should have mentioned in my previous post that we now have detailed stats for all State of Origin games from 1988 onwards (except the 1992 NSW versus Queensland match). It would be great to have a continuous sequence. I couldn't find anything in the Brisbane Courier, Sydney Morning Herald or Sydney Daily Telegraph at the Vic State Library recently for NSW vs. Qld.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pretty interesting worbod. I'm curious about the 1991 QLD v Vic match in which the Maroons came out the victors. I've heard quite a few of the players weren't actually from Queensland. I figured I'd count the amount of QLDers who were actually in the team.

upJgAei.jpg

Queensland - 15/22 (68%)
David Wearne - Queensland (Coorparoo)
Simon Luhrs - Queensland (Western Magpies)
Gavin Crosisca - Queensland (Western Magpies)
Danny Dickfos - Queensland (Zillmere)
Troy Clarke - Queensland (South Cairns)
Michael Gibson - Queensland (Coorparoo)
Marcus Ashcroft - Queensland (Southport)
Corey Bell - Queensland (Southport)
Scott McIvor - Queensland (Wilston-Grange)
Steven Lawrence - Queensland (Southport)
Craig Potter - Queensland (Western Magpies)
Jason Cotter - Queensland (Southport)
Simon Kenny - Queensland (Kedron)
Dean Bowtell - Queensland (Southport)
Anthony Toppenberg - Queensland

Victoria - 3/22 (13%)
Roger Merrett - Victoria (Kaniva)
Andrew Taylor - Victoria (Albion)
Cameron O'Brien - Victoria (Old Xavierians)

Western Australia (9%)
Rod Lester-Smith - Western Australia (East Fremantle)
Brad Hardie - Western Australia (South Fremantle)

South Australia (9%)
Matthew Campbell - South Australia (North Adelaide)
Brenton Phillips - South Australia (North Adelaide)

Last edited:

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone know if the Queensland team ever played an interstate match at Carrara?

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Does anyone know if the Queensland team ever played an interstate match at Carrara?

In terms of State of Origin specifically, the Queensland team never played at Carrara. They played Victoria at the Gabba in 1991. They also played at the SCG versus NSW in 1992, and at Leederville Oval versus ACT in 1979. Against Tasmania they played at Perth Oval (1979), Norwood (1988) and at Bellerive (1993) as a combined QLD/NT team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In terms of State of Origin specifically, the Queensland team never played at Carrara. They played Victoria at the Gabba in 1991. They also played at the SCG versus NSW in 1992, and at Leederville Oval versus ACT in 1979. Against Tasmania they played at Perth Oval (1979), Norwood (1988) and at Bellerive (1993) as a combined QLD/NT team.
Interesting. What a shame that the legendary Jason Dunstall didn't play in that historic win over Victoria in 1991.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Have not found any instances of Victoria or South Australia playing Queensland at Carrara. However, I have discovered a non State of Origin game between Queensland and Western Australia at Carrara. It was played on June 11, 2005, with WA winning 18.21 (129) to 11.5 (71).

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have not found any instances of Victoria or South Australia playing Queensland at Carrara. However, I have discovered a non State of Origin game between Queensland and Western Australia at Carrara. It was played on June 11, 2005, with WA winning 18.21 (129) to 11.5 (71).
Interesting. I presume no AFL players took part?

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Without checking, I can give you the Queensland line up so you can look into it if you like (in alphabetical order).

Kent Abey, Bill Cleary, Luke Crane, Matt Dillon, Mark Dowley, Korey Fulton, Jacob Gough, Scott Harding, Mark Harris, David James, David Lillico, Lee McMahon, Shaun Mugavin, Darren O'Brien, Matt Pardew, David Round, Brent Rynehart, Cheynee Stiller, Clint Watts, Daniel Wehner, Luke Weller, Justin Wilson

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
A fair SA team, that one.
That is a very fine team. It really looks pretty much like a State of Origin team (even though it was only a SANFL team), and probably an SA SoO lineup from that year would not have looked too much different. I'd say Helyar, and perhaps Cousins and Warhurst would have been the only ones who never played at the higher (representative) level. Obviously things started to change dramatically from the end of that year onwards, with the likes of Platten, Kernahan, Motley and co. heading interstate.

Last edited:

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Without checking, I can give you the Queensland line up so you can look into it if you like (in alphabetical order).

Kent Abey, Bill Cleary, Luke Crane, Matt Dillon, Mark Dowley, Korey Fulton, Jacob Gough, Scott Harding, Mark Harris, David James, David Lillico, Lee McMahon, Shaun Mugavin, Darren O'Brien, Matt Pardew, David Round, Brent Rynehart, Cheynee Stiller, Clint Watts, Daniel Wehner, Luke Weller, Justin Wilson
The only AFL names I recognise are Scott Harding and Cheynee Stiller but they were both in the QAFL at the time. I think it was more of a QAFL v WAFL game as opposed to a Queensland v Western Australia game.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The only AFL names I recognise are Scott Harding and Cheynee Stiller but they were both in the QAFL at the time. I think it was more of a QAFL v WAFL game as opposed to a Queensland v Western Australia game.
David Round (the son of Barry) had a brief but unsuccessful AFL tilt. I don't think any of the others (apart from the two you mentioned) made it onto AFL lists, so clearly this was just a QAFL v WAFL game. Luke Crane, who I think was a Tasmanian, won a Magarey Medal in the SANFL a few years back.

Last edited:

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Non SOO game between SA and Vic from 1979 at Football Park. Sorry if the print is a bit hard to read. It's a copy from the VFL Football Record, May 26, 1979, page 7.

img226.jpg

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And the stats from the other game, which was played as the curtain raiser:

View attachment 52049

View attachment 52050
I remember this game. Brian Beinke had generally played as a defender for the Port Adelaide Magpies, after playing in a flag in 96 I think he spent a year on North Melbourne's rookie list (no mention of this on Wikipedia though..) and then came back to Port. Spent the first half of the year back in defence, and started the State game as a defender, then after half time got thrown forward and managed to snag a few goals. He played the rest of the year up forward for Port, kicked a heap of goals and subsequently got picked up by the Crows. Was always a bit disappointed he didn't get selected in the Power's inaugural squad, especially when they picked no names like Scott Matthews, Jake Lynch and Jon Yerbury instead. Byron Pickett missed out too! But I digress...

That 1993 Queensland/NT team looked the goods too, would love to see a replay of it. Dunstall with 8.1 and NOT wearing the Big V for a change!

Loving this thread btw!

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I remember this game. Brian Beinke had generally played as a defender for the Port Adelaide Magpies, after playing in a flag in 96 I think he spent a year on North Melbourne's rookie list (no mention of this on Wikipedia though..) and then came back to Port.
Beinke was drafted by 3 clubs according to the AFL Record Season Guide 2014:-
Adelaide - 1998 National Draft
Geelong - 1992 National Draft
North Melbourne - 1997 Rookie Draft

Strangely, the 1997 season guide (AFL '97) doesn't have him on North's player list, this presumably is a mistake. The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers says "recruited from Port Magpies after a stint with the Kangaroo reserves".

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Beinke was drafted by 3 clubs according to the AFL Record Season Guide 2014:-
Adelaide - 1998 National Draft
Geelong - 1992 National Draft
North Melbourne - 1997 Rookie Draft

Strangely, the 1997 season guide (AFL '97) doesn't have him on North's player list, this presumably is a mistake. The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers says "recruited from Port Magpies after a stint with the Kangaroo reserves".

Rookie listing's didn't appear in the annual stats book until about 2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back