Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The only State of Origin game we don't have detailed stats for now is the NSW versus Queensland match from May 12, 1992.
So has anyone been able to find the detailed stats for this game? It's the one State of Origin game we are missing.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
I've cracked the SOO forumula incidentally.

Every 2 years. One game series only. Fixture:

QLD v NSW

WA v Vic Country

SA v Vic Metro

Tough for Tassie and NT, they can play each other I suppose, but not sure you'd even get 2 x 22s.

Jim from Port

Draftee
Jun 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've cracked the SOO forumula incidentally.

Every 2 years. One game series only. Fixture:

QLD v NSW

WA v Vic Country

SA v Vic Metro

Tough for Tassie and NT, they can play each other I suppose, but not sure you'd even get 2 x 22s.
If its only the state leagues playing then that's fine. But for a real State of Origin, it must SA v Vic. Best of the Best. Its the only game that will get a huge crowd at the G.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Does anyone have the team lists for the 1983 SA v Victoria SOO game?
The full game is here. The picture quality isn't great, however it's reasonable enough:-

The team lineups were shown at the start of the game, so I've copied them here exactly as they were shown. Both lineups appear in "upside down" fashion, with the forwards at the top and the backs at the bottom. Must have been an SA production!

SA:
Lindner Schneebichler Platten
Copping Kernahan McAdam
Thomas Aish Bradley
Giles Phillips Riley
Whittlesea Williams Ebert

Ruck: Rendell Craig Naley

Int: Motley McIntosh Schimmelbusch

Victoria:
Marcou McConville Edmond
Greg Smith Daniher Hawker
Flower Wilson Cunningham
Lawrie Icke Elphinstone
McCann Serafini Clarke

Ruck: Mossop Rowlings Ashman

Int: Madden Sheldon Cordy Yeates

Edit: Only 21 players per team apparently, so one named for Victoria wasn't playing.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
The full game is here. The picture quality isn't great, however it's reasonable enough:-

The team lineups were shown at the start of the game, so I've copied them here exactly as they were shown. Both lineups appear in "upside down" fashion, with the forwards at the top and the backs at the bottom. Must have been an SA production!

SA:
Lindner Schneebichler Platten
Copping Kernahan McAdam
Thomas Aish Bradley
Giles Phillips Riley
Whittlesea Williams Ebert

Ruck: Rendell Craig Naley

Int: Motley McIntosh Schimmelbusch

Victoria:
Marcou McConville Edmond
Greg Smith Daniher Hawker
Flower Wilson Cunningham
Lawrie Icke Elphinstone
McCann Serafini Clarke

Ruck: Mossop Rowlings Ashman

Int: Madden Sheldon Cordy Yeates

Edit: Only 21 players per team apparently, so one named for Victoria wasn't playing.

mmm…wonder if this is the match where the Vics broke the National Football League rules and did use 22 when they were only entitled to use 21 ?

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
mmm…wonder if this is the match where the Vics broke the National Football League rules and did use 22 when they were only entitled to use 21 ?
Good point. I do remember that now.

Edit: That was the 1985 game. I thought Sheedy was the coach (it was Parkin in 1983).

9. HEARD AND SEEN, 1985

State-of-Origin subterfuge never went further than Victorian coach Kevin Sheedy’s attempts to sneak tagger Shane Heard into South Australia for a game in 1985. Not even the Vics players knew he was headed there, and didn’t realise he was playing until the late inclusion jumped on the Football Park-bound team bus with his gear.

Dale Weightman recalled: “No one knew he was playing. Sheeds had smuggled Heardy over. He used him to tag (Craig) Bradley and (John) Platten. We beat them by 10 goals, but because Sheeds played an extra bloke on the bench, SA complained and they took the game off us. But it was a moral victory even though we didn’t get the shield.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...teoforigin-footy/story-fni5f067-1226935963256

Last edited:

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I can't seem to find the stats for SOO 1983 SA v Vics at Footy Park. Anyone got??
Somehow this game seems to have been missed in this thread. I can't find the stats anywhere. Perhaps someone will have them. Here are the best players and goalkickers, at least.

SA:
Best:
M Aish, P Motley, N Craig, A Giles, K Thomas, C Bradley, B Lindner.
Goals: B Lindner 5, P Motley 3, S Kernahan 3, C Bradley 3, M Naley 2, M Aish 2, J Platten 2, J Schneebichler 2, K Thomas, S Copping, G McAdam, G McIntosh.

Victoria:
Best:
R Flower, T Daniher, L Serafini, B Wilson, B Rowlings, S Madden.
Goals: R Flower 4, T Daniher 3, B Wilson 3, S Madden 2, G Smith, A Marcou, G Cunningham, R Ashman, G Hawker.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Match stats:

1985-1_zps2e1e531f.jpg
The greatest State of Origin game ever played, and one of the top 10 games of all time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JA27

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2009
Western District
AFL Club
Collingwood

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
twitter tells me today...

1980s Football ‏@1980sFootball
#OnThisDay in 1980 State of Origin Victoria B defeated Queensland 186-106 at the Gabba & the ACT defeated Victoria C 95-82 at @ManukaOval.

Then-VFL President Dr. Allen Aylett described the Victorian C team that lost to the ACT in 1980 as the worst team to ever represent Victoria

anyone know who played in these games?

I can give you the team for the game versus Queensland (in alphabetical order):

Geoff Ablett, Rod Blake, Greg Burns, Michael Conlan, Neale Daniher, Rodney Eade, Allan Edwards, Tony Elshaug, Warwick Irwin (vice captain), Mervyn Keane, David McKay, Tony Morwood, Bruce Nankervis, Ian Nankervis (captain), Bill Picken, Michael Roach, Craig Stewart, Daryl Sutton, Bruce Tempany, Dale Weightman, Ted Whitten junior

Coached by Ron Barassi

Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong

#OnThisDay in 1980 State of Origin Victoria B defeated Queensland 186-106 at the Gabba & the ACT defeated Victoria C 95-82 at @ManukaOval.

Then-VFL President Dr. Allen Aylett described the Victorian C team that lost to the ACT in 1980 as the worst team to ever represent Victoria

Some names for the Vic team vs ACT are shown on rhs of this football codes scoreboard listing:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/125608934

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

There was a bit of discussion about the ACT vs. Victoria game in this thread:- https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...when-not-originating-from-that-state.1122875/

This shows the "expected line-up" for both sides (Canberra game) from that day's paper:- http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/13917112

Match reports for both games are here:- http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/13917135

The two Victorian teams were named in the Football Record:-

The ACT and Queensland teams will be coached by former VFL players. St. Kilda's Kevin Neale will be leading ACT and former Fitzroy wingman Norm Dare has charge of Queensland. Dare's former Lions' coach Bill Stephen will be guiding the Victorians and in Canberra, the VFL team will be coached by Ron Barassi. (Edit: They have the Vic. coaches back to front - Stephen coached in Canberra).

The Victorian representative teams for tomorrow are:
Versus Queensland:
Carlton: David McKay.
Collingwood: Allan Edwards, Bill Picken, Craig Stewart.
Essendon: Neale Daniher.
Fitzroy: Michael Conlan, Warwick Irwin (vice-captain)
Footscray: Ted Whitten.
Geelong: lan Nankervis (captain), Bruce Nankervis, Rod Blake.
Hawthorn: Rodney Eade, Geoff Ablett.
Melbourne: Tony Elshaug.
North Melbourne: Darryl Sutton.
Richmond: Mervyn Keane, Michael Roach, Dale Weightman. Bruce Tempany.
South Melbourne: Tony Morwood.
St. Kilda: Greg Burns.
Versus ACT:
Carlton: Mark Maclure, Rod Ashman, Alex Marcou, Jim Buckley.
Collingwood: Rene Kink.
Essendon: Mervyn Neagle.
Fitzroy: Laurie Serafini.
Footscray: Jim Edmond.
Geelong: Terry Bright, Michael Turner.
Hawthorn: Robert Dipierdomenico.
Melbourne: Laurie Fowler, Robert Elliott.
North Melbourne: Malcolm Blight (vice- captain), Steven Icke.
Richmond: Francis Bourke (captain), Bryan Wood, Bruce Tempany, Mark Lee.
South Melbourne: Neville Fields.
St. Kilda: Trevor Barker, Jeff Sarau.

As I pointed out in the other thread it seems these two games were not (officially) classed as State of Origin matches.

Attachments

• VFL Record 1980 Victoria v. Western Australia - Page 10.pdf
    472.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Weird that Adrian McAdam had 29 disposals and 8 marks for the Allies against WA in 1995, a year in which he played just one senior game for North Melbourne, but wasn't selected for the combined QLD/NT team in 1993 (although his brother Gilbert was), despite 38 goals in his first 6 AFL matches prior to SOO that year.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Weird that Adrian McAdam had 29 disposals and 8 marks for the Allies against WA in 1995, a year in which he played just one senior game for North Melbourne, but wasn't selected for the combined QLD/NT team in 1993 (although his brother Gilbert was), despite 38 goals in his first 6 AFL matches prior to SOO that year.
Adrian McAdam was named in the squad (of 25) for the 1993 game according to the State of Origin Football Record.

From The Canberra Times:-
Queensland-NT suffers loss of two absentees
HOBART: Queensland-Northern Territory suffered a massive set-back for today's State of Origin Australian rules clash with Tasmania, when star duo Adrian McAdam and Gavin Crosisca failed to arrive in Hobart yesterday. While McAdam and Crosisca had been on the doubtful list, they were both informed they were required in Hobart for final fitness tests. But neither were on the team's noon flight from Melbourne yesterday and they will face disciplinary action from the Australian Football League if a satisfactory reason for their absence is not given.

Queensland AFL general manager Peter Cummiskey said it was understood McAdam, who is suffering calf and hip injuries, had gone to Adelaide through the week after being told by his North Melbourne club medical staff that he would not be fit for today. Cummiskey said McAdam had not made it back from Adelaide to link with the team's flight from Melbourne to Hobart.

Collingwood defender Crosisca was laid low through the week with a stomach virus but like McAdam, did not contact the QAFL to say he wouldn't be on the plane. Cummiskey said North Melbourne officials had contacted the QAFL on Friday to inform them of McAdam's injuries, but said the QAFL was
unsuccessful in trying to contact Crosisca in the past three days.

"We're very disappointed," Cummiskey said. "They were reported to have injury problems but we're disappointed they didn't come here to have it all finalised. "The two of them were required players —there's no doubt about that — and after we hear some more facts on the issue, we'll be making our views known to the AFL." Cummiskey said that unless they reached Hobart by last night, the team would play without them.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/127231039

I couldn't find a match report in the next day's paper, but presumably McAdam didn't show up (Crosisca didn't play either).

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Adrian McAdam was named in the squad (of 25) for the 1993 game according to the State of Origin Football Record.

From The Canberra Times:-
Queensland-NT suffers loss of two absentees
HOBART: Queensland-Northern Territory suffered a massive set-back for today's State of Origin Australian rules clash with Tasmania, when star duo Adrian McAdam and Gavin Crosisca failed to arrive in Hobart yesterday. While McAdam and Crosisca had been on the doubtful list, they were both informed they were required in Hobart for final fitness tests. But neither were on the team's noon flight from Melbourne yesterday and they will face disciplinary action from the Australian Football League if a satisfactory reason for their absence is not given.

Queensland AFL general manager Peter Cummiskey said it was understood McAdam, who is suffering calf and hip injuries, had gone to Adelaide through the week after being told by his North Melbourne club medical staff that he would not be fit for today. Cummiskey said McAdam had not made it back from Adelaide to link with the team's flight from Melbourne to Hobart.

Collingwood defender Crosisca was laid low through the week with a stomach virus but like McAdam, did not contact the QAFL to say he wouldn't be on the plane. Cummiskey said North Melbourne officials had contacted the QAFL on Friday to inform them of McAdam's injuries, but said the QAFL was
unsuccessful in trying to contact Crosisca in the past three days.

"We're very disappointed," Cummiskey said. "They were reported to have injury problems but we're disappointed they didn't come here to have it all finalised. "The two of them were required players —there's no doubt about that — and after we hear some more facts on the issue, we'll be making our views known to the AFL." Cummiskey said that unless they reached Hobart by last night, the team would play without them.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/127231039

I couldn't find a match report in the next day's paper, but presumably McAdam didn't show up (Crosisca didn't play either).

Interesting stuff! Didn't think McAdam's extraordinary start to his AFL career would go totally unnoticed. I was just going by his non-appearance on the stat sheet for the game. Makes sense if he wasn't fit.

His selection in 1995 is still a bit of a head-scratcher though, as was his performance going by the stats.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Interesting stuff! Didn't think McAdam's extraordinary start to his AFL career would go totally unnoticed. I was just going by his non-appearance on the stat sheet for the game. Makes sense if he wasn't fit.

His selection in 1995 is still a bit of a head-scratcher though, as was his performance going by the stats.
His career was certainly a strange one, there's no doubt about that! I wonder how bad his injury really was, perhaps North kept their exciting new star out on purpose. It looks as if he didn't miss any club games after that due to injury (North had a bye the next week), so who knows what really happened there.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

There's a simple explanation for the puzzling 1995 situation. Brother Gilbert played, it wasn't Adrian. Obviously post #30 has A.McADAM which has caused the confusion. Gilbert was named in the squad, Adrian wasn't according to the Football Record for the game.

This is from page 26 of the 1995 Rd. 12 Football Record:-
Most Kicks — The Allies
Nathan Buckley 23
Paul Williams 16
Darrin Pritchard 16
Don Pyke 16
Paul Kelly 15
Gavin Crosisca 15

Most Marks — The Allies
Paul Williams 9
Gilbert McAdam 8
Don Pyke 7