Analysis Statistically Speaking

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Cannel 9 were running with Moore being ranked( presumably for key defenders)
Marks Against 1st
Disposals against 1st
Uncontested disposals against 1st

But gee he looks impressive
You really want to play him as the 3rd tall/intercept defender (who rebounds through the virtue of being an awesome and long kick) and have two other tall guys locking down and doing the hard work.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
As an exercise I went through players drafted since 2018 for each club to see how many games they've played.

Screenshot_20210418_125852_edit_94945457765718.jpg

While there isn't a significant difference in games played from us and Richmond in third, for a rebuilding club I would still have liked to see us nearer to the top of the list for this figure, as well as the number of players used (we've only used more than 5 other clubs).

I'm not suggesting that this is overly significant, however it does possibly show that it's time to start giving the likes of Philp and Ramsay games.

For clarity I excluded:
- Players that have since been delisted (e.g. BSOS had he played)
- Players that had previously spent significant time on another list (e.g. Martin)

I decided to include:
- Games from players that have since been traded from their original club (e.g. Stephenson's games included for Pies)

M_I_G

Premium Gold
Aug 28, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
As an exercise I went through players drafted since 2018 for each club to see how many games they've played.

View attachment 1105539

While there isn't a significant difference in games played from us and Richmond in third, for a rebuilding club I would still have liked to see us nearer to the top of the list for this figure, as well as the number of players used (we've only used more than 5 other clubs).

I'm not suggesting that this is overly significant, however it does possibly show that it's time to start giving the likes of Philp and Ramsay games.

For clarity I excluded:
- Players that had previously spent significant time on another list (e.g. Martin)

I decided to include:
- Games from players that have since been traded from their original club (e.g. Stephenson's games included for Pies)
Interesting work
Did you keep track of how many ‘eligible’ Draftees there were per club in this timeline? (Eg jack martin not eligible)
Was the mid year draft included? And supplementary picks?

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting work
Did you keep track of how many ‘eligible’ Draftees there were per club in this timeline? (Eg jack martin not eligible)
Was the mid year draft included? And supplementary picks?
Yes I included mid year and supplementary, and I have the list of eligible but I'm thinking of expanding it to 2015 and comparing either pre/post Teague, pre/post 66 game rebuild or simply other teams.

Just want to first consider what inclusions/exclusions I would make (e.g. should Fogarty be classified a draftee like Dow or established player like Martin, do I include or exclude his games for Cats etc.) Basically what may be meaningful (to me at least).

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

View attachment 1105539

For clarity I excluded:

I decided to include:

Cheers for doing that, I find it quite concerning, currently. If we finish the season in 7th or 8th then it’s not so bad, for a team to have so few debutants suggests we are no longer focused on youth and should be challenging for top 4, let alone top 8.

I really hope we start to inject a bit more youth in to the team

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yes I included mid year and supplementary, and I have the list of eligible but I'm thinking of expanding it to 2015 and comparing either pre/post Teague, pre/post 66 game rebuild or simply other teams.

Just want to first consider what inclusions/exclusions I would make (e.g. should Fogarty be classified a draftee like Dow or established player like Martin, do I include or exclude his games for Cats etc.) Basically what may be meaningful (to me at least).

Fogarty is still very young compared to a Martin, same as Setters and Kennedy, they are both picked up in the middle of the rebuild, them not being in the side or best 22 adds to the argument of, did we stuff the pick or the development?

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
A few stats regarding our CBAs this year.

Not official stats, just those that I have been tracking. I award it as a clearance contribution (all players involved) rather than simply the first player involved (which is how clearances are recorded).

I think this conveys a more accurate depiction, as the second link in the chain still has to be in position to clear, and their contribution to the play can often be more significant.

Also of the 172 clearances this year, I didn't award 5 to either team, hence why combined figures don't total 100%.

Team Clearances:

1619587329786.png

Individuals:

1619587793339.png

Setups (top 11):

1619588297212.png

Following shows how many CBAs each player has had with one another:

1619588813821.png

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Not official stats, just those that I have been tracking. I award it as a clearance contribution (all players involved) rather than simply the first player involved (which is how clearances are recorded).

I think this conveys a more accurate depiction, as the second link in the chain still has to be in position to clear, and their contribution to the play can often be more significant.

Also of the 172 clearances this year, I didn't award 5 to either team, hence why combined figures don't total 100%.

Team Clearances:

View attachment 1113532

Individuals:

View attachment 1113534

Setups:

View attachment 1113539

View attachment 1113548

Great work ()

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades

Team Clearances:

View attachment 1113532

Individuals:

View attachment 1113534

Setups (top 11):

View attachment 1113539

View attachment 1113548
We win more centre clearances without Cripps 👀

On another note, get Fog in the guts a bit more!

TCB-1935

Debutant
Oct 8, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth
Robbie Gray does not approve this post.
I would hazard a guess that Adam Goodes would not approve either. Gibbs could do a surprisingly good run with role.

Gibbs gets such a hard time from many Carlton supporters and yet wouldn't he be handy now?

Averaged 23 disposals from 268 games starting as an 18yo and usually with elite disposal skills. Averaged 4.22 tackles over those games too, but we still pile on him even though he has been gone for 4 years.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Any stats nerds interested in looking into total number of possessions each club's midfielders have recorded on average so far this season? We generally only have Walsh and Cripps as our consistent accumulators - with Ed just behind. How do we compare to other teams?

Here's an interesting one for us:

We have not had a player kick more than 34 goals in a season since 2013 when Garlett kicked 43. The last time we had a player kick 50 goals or more in a season was 2011 when Walker kicked 56 and Betts kicked 50.

Any stats nerds interested in looking into total number of possessions each club's midfielders have recorded on average so far this season? We generally only have Walsh and Cripps as our consistent accumulators - with Ed just behind. How do we compare to other teams?

From 251 players listed on the AFL site as midfielders, only 179 have recorded an average:

Walsh is 6th in the comp
Cripps 28th
Curnow 33rd
Newnes 89th
Cuningham 109th
Williams 115th
Saad 121st
Cottrell 132nd
Setterfield 138th
Dow 156th
O'Brien 160th
Kennedy 174th

The last time Carlton were absolutely belted was in round 23, 2019 vs Geelong. We lost by 68 points.

Our biggest loss in 2020 was 31 points vs Hawthorn. Our biggest loss this year is 28 points.

Since the start of 2020, we are one of only 3 teams not to lose a game by 40 points or more. The other 2 being Geelong and Brisbane. Their biggest losses during this time have been 31 and 40 points respectively.

So our biggest loss over that time is matched by only Geelong.

What's the point? Well, as bad as we are travelling, we are not getting blown away and one of the first signs of a team on the rise is that they stopped getting thrashed.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The last time Carlton were absolutely belted was in round 23, 2019 vs Geelong. We lost by 68 points.

Our biggest loss in 2020 was 31 points vs Hawthorn. Our biggest loss this year is 28 points.

Since the start of 2020, we are one of only 3 teams not to lose a game by 40 points or more. The other 2 being Geelong and Brisbane. Their biggest losses during this time have been 31 and 40 points respectively.

So our biggest loss over that time is matched by only Geelong.

What's the point? Well, as bad as we are travelling, we are not getting blown away and one of the first signs of a team on the rise is that they stopped getting thrashed.
And as s*** as we’ve played - structure, ball use, decision making, accuracy in front of goals - we haven’t been that far off.

Fix a bit of the aforementioned and hopefully the performances notably improve.

As the season progresses replace some underperforming players with those returning from injury or progressing out of the twos due to some consistent good form and we should se further improvement.

Parks, Newman, Williamson, Kemp* could come in down back.

De Koning ruck or forward.

Setterfield, Dow, O’Brien, Ramsay*, Philp, Carroll* in the middle.

Up forward there’s Charlie Martin, Fisher, Silvagni, Honey, Durdin*, Owies.

*uncapped.

Would like to see more tackling ability/mongrel, pace and foot skills in the team. There’s several names above that fit the bill.

Also really keen to see some debuts from the big unit Kemp, Carroll, Ramsay, Durdin, plus Philp and Honey who have only played 1 or 2.

Back