Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Another Eagles game from the early 2010s I remember is the one between West Coast and the GWS Giants at Subiaco in 2014, which turned into a shootout and a 30.8-188 to 12.5-77 win to the Eagles. Even though it ended in a 111-point win in the end, it was a good standard game and very entertaining.

I used to enjoy watching West Coast Eagles games in this era, as they were one of the few teams that had a more open style of play that had higher rates of scoring, would take risks and allow the players to display their skills, rather than engaging in the low-scoring, low-standard, ultra-defensive tactics that were increasingly blighting the AFL by this time, and which would become the normal type of game by the late 2010s.
Those were the good old Subiaco Flat tracking days where we would actually finish teams off.

Rarely seen that at Optus even as premiers

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I posted these in the Weird Football Scores thread a few weeks ago about some very strange scoring by the Sydney Swans in mid 1991, and was wondering if anyone else could find answers to these questions?

To give some background:

On the Sunday of Round 11 1991, the Sydney Swans engaged in a shoot-out with the Brisbane Bears at the SCG in which the Bears won the high-scoring match easily by 47-points, 26.12-168 to the Swans' 18.13-121. The Sydney vs. Brisbane match had an aggregate score of 289-points. At the Western Oval down in Melbourne, Footscray thrashed Carlton in wet conditions, winning 8.9-57 to 1.10-16, an aggregate of 73-points.
The next week, the Swans went to the Western Oval for a Saturday afternoon match against the Bulldogs in Round 12, and in teeming rain it ended up a draw 5.5-35 Swans to the Dogs 4.11-35, an aggregate of 70-points.
Sydney and Footscray would next meet at the SCG in Round 4 of 1992, and this time the Dogs won a very high-scoring match over the Swans, running away late in what had been a very entertaining game that saw the Bulldogs win 25.14-164 to the Swans' 17.17-119, an aggregate of 283-points.

Are these Swans games' records, and if not, what is the record for these?

1. The greatest difference in aggregate between two matches played in the same round (289 points Bears & Swans vs 73 points Bulldogs & Blues)
2. The greatest difference in aggregate scores by the same team in successive weeks (289 points in Round 11, 70 points in Round 12)
3. The largest difference in aggregate scores by two opponents in their next match (70 points in 1991, 283 points in 1992).

I posted these in the Weird Football Scores thread a few weeks ago about some very strange scoring by the Sydney Swans in mid 1991, and was wondering if anyone else could find answers to these questions?

To give some background:

On the Sunday of Round 11 1991, the Sydney Swans engaged in a shoot-out with the Brisbane Bears at the SCG in which the Bears won the high-scoring match easily by 47-points, 26.12-168 to the Swans' 18.13-121. The Sydney vs. Brisbane match had an aggregate score of 289-points. At the Western Oval down in Melbourne, Footscray thrashed Carlton in wet conditions, winning 8.9-57 to 1.10-16, an aggregate of 73-points.
The next week, the Swans went to the Western Oval for a Saturday afternoon match against the Bulldogs in Round 12, and in teeming rain it ended up a draw 5.5-35 Swans to the Dogs 4.11-35, an aggregate of 70-points.
Sydney and Footscray would next meet at the SCG in Round 4 of 1992, and this time the Dogs won a very high-scoring match over the Swans, running away late in what had been a very entertaining game that saw the Bulldogs win 25.14-164 to the Swans' 17.17-119, an aggregate of 283-points.

Are these Swans games' records, and if not, what is the record for these?

1. The greatest difference in aggregate between two matches played in the same round (289 points Bears & Swans vs 73 points Bulldogs & Blues)
2. The greatest difference in aggregate scores by the same team in successive weeks (289 points in Round 11, 70 points in Round 12)
3. The largest difference in aggregate scores by two opponents in their next match (70 points in 1991, 283 points in 1992).

I've found a new leader for question 1 about greatest difference in aggregate between matches in same round.

1989 Round 6 (334 points Hawthorn v Geelong vs 110 points Brisbane & Footscray)

Wondering if anyone can help me out with a question.

In 2022 what was the longest game of the year and shortest game of the year in terms of total of all 4 quarters.

At the end of round 2, both Sydney (98) and St. Kilda (93) have conceded fewer than 100 points. When was the last time two teams had conceded fewer than 100 points after round 2?

Is anybody able to calculate who has had the shortest career this century? In other words is it possible to see, of all the one-game players, who spent the shortest periods of time on the ground?

Is anybody able to calculate who has had the shortest career this century? In other words is it possible to see, of all the one-game players, who spent the shortest periods of time on the ground?

So far, Alastair Lord takes the cake.

Not even subbed in vs St Kilda last year.

Essendon must’ve had a clean night with injuries.

With Geelong slumping to 0-3 this afternoon, it got me thinking, how long is it since a reigning premier started the next season this badly? And what is the worst start to a season on record by a reigning premier?

In 2016 or around there Melbourne and North played out some ridiculous game in Tasmania which ended something like 150-144, then the next week North played the Dogs at Docklands with the final score something like 38-40? I only remember this because I was analyising total points lines v. actual, and the North Dees game went like 120 points over, by far the largest in the records, then they went under in their next match by a very similar amount also bar far the largest on record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Geelong slumping to 0-3 this afternoon, it got me thinking, how long is it since a reigning premier started the next season this badly? And what is the worst start to a season on record by a reigning premier?
North Melbourne won the flag in 1975 and started 1976 with 3 losses.

In 2016 or around there Melbourne and North played out some ridiculous game in Tasmania which ended something like 150-144, then the next week North played the Dogs at Docklands with the final score something like 38-40? I only remember this because I was analyising total points lines v. actual, and the North Dees game went like 120 points over, by far the largest in the records, then they went under in their next match by a very similar amount also bar far the largest on record.
I think you may be referring to 2016 Rnd 3 match at Bellerive where North Melbourne d Melbourne 136-131 (match aggregate 267)

and the 2016 Rnd 6 match at Docklands where North d Bulldogs 61-45 (match aggregate 106)

Also, Melbourne began 1942 with 3 losses.
Also, Collingwood in 1959 began with 5 losses - the worst start to a season by a reigning premier.

Geelong in 2023 has now joined the 1959 Collingwood team as the only reigning premiers to be the last team to win a game the following season.

When the 1959 Collingwood did win a game, it started a roll with them winning 12 of the next 13 games, including the last 10 in a row to finish the home & away season with a 12-6 record. This resulted in Collingwood finishing third and playing finals - where it lost the first semi final to Essendon.

Does anyone have a link to the median list ages for 2023?

I tried a search but all the results are nuffies arguing about politics and Covid.

This used to be readily available alongside average ages but for the last few years it seems nobody bothers to publish it any more.

Also, Collingwood in 1959 began with 5 losses - the worst start to a season by a reigning premier.

Geelong in 2023 has now joined the 1959 Collingwood team as the only reigning premiers to be the last team to win a game the following season.

When the 1959 Collingwood did win a game, it started a roll with them winning 12 of the next 13 games, including the last 10 in a row to finish the home & away season with a 12-6 record. This resulted in Collingwood finishing third and playing finals - where it lost the first semi final to Essendon.

Few have been worse at high level football than SANFL team West Adelaide in recent years. After winning the 2015 Grand Final over the Woodville-West Torrens Eagles - the Bloods' first premiership since 1983 - it took Wests until Round 12 to win their first game of 2016, and they slumped from premiers to last in one season, going 2-16 in a 10 team competition and copping some terrible hidings. The reigning premiers finished with 1077 points for and 2020 against, and while SANFL percentages are calculated differently to the AFL and other states, their percentage using the AFL formula would be 53.31, and their average losing margin an embarrassing 52-points.

Things haven't improved for West Adelaide since then. Their not-so impressive record after 2016 is as follows:

2017: 5-13, 9th of 10
2018: 8-10, 7th of 10
2019: 2-16, 10th of 10
2020: 2-11-1, 8th of 8
2021: 2-16, 10th of 10
2022: 3-15, 10th of 10

Given West Adelaide were second last in 2014, either 2015 is the freakiest premiership of all time, or the Bloods are suffering the longest and worst premiership hangover in history.

Where does one find the Official player ratings now? Am I losing the plot or is it no longer available? Even the @AFLPlayerRating twitter page isn't updated this season :think:

On further investigation I can see it is available on the AFL mobile app, but not desktop. Even then you can't get a year to date toal, only round by round or the 2-year rating or whatever it is.

When was the last time in top-level football that an injured player was unable to be interchanged, and had to stay on the field, effectively being a passenger, as was the case before the interchange system was created?

When was the last time in top-level football that an injured player was unable to be interchanged, and had to stay on the field, effectively being a passenger, as was the case before the interchange system was created?
I can remember it happening to Wayne Carey against the Bears in 93

Where does one find the Official player ratings now? Am I losing the plot or is it no longer available? Even the @AFLPlayerRating twitter page isn't updated this season :think:

On further investigation I can see it is available on the AFL mobile app, but not desktop. Even then you can't get a year to date toal, only round by round or the 2-year rating or whatever it is.
I have them on my site, and they're usually available within a day of each match.

Match Stats

Player Stats (Season averages)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back