Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

It is actually my all time least fav finals series.
Best side but we were out in straight sets.
Incredible and never really got over that.

We did make up for it the next season winning 16 in a row to take out the premiership but I still mystified to this day how we lost all form at end of 1994.
1994 preliminary final was good though.
Yeah Carl lost to Ess in the last round to lose top spot I think and couldn't get going after that

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collingwood has now won its last five matches by less than seven points each time. Has there ever been a sequence of wins by such narrow margins before?

Apart from Carlton in 1995 and Brisbane in 2001, have any other teams won the premiership after winning (exactly) their last 16 matches?

Geelong are on track for this.
In 2008, Geelong had the chance to equal the record of Carlton in 1995 and Brisbane in 2001.

After losing to Collingwood in Round 9 (its only loss in home & away games), Geelong was on a 15 game winning streak going into the Grand Final before losing to Hawthorn.

Geelong has a possible chance to equal the record this year with its last loss to St.Kilda in Round 9. It could go into the Grand Final on a 15 game winning streak.

And where it could possibly meet Collingwood also on a 15 game winning streak!

This might be a hard one to track down.. but
Darcy Fogarty was nominated for both Mark & Goal of the year last week.
I'd say this would be an extremely rare feat

Collingwood have the lowest percentage in the final 8 by some margin.

What's the lowest recorded percentage for a side in the finals over VFL/AFL history?
Also the lowest for a minor premier?

Carlton has been in the Top 8 at the end of every round so far this year, but lose to Collingwood and a Bulldogs win over Hawthorn will see them out of the Top 8 for the first time all season in the final round, barring some extraordinary event such as very close matches with similar scoring patterns that enable Carlton to scrape in over the Dogs on percentage.

Obviously the Blues haven't missed the finals yet, but if things don't go their way on the weekend and they do miss out, when was the last time a side that was in the finals all year fell out for the first time in the final round? And at the other end of the scale, when was the last time a side out of the finals all year made it in for the first time in the last round?

Carlton has been in the Top 8 at the end of every round so far this year, but lose to Collingwood and a Bulldogs win over Hawthorn will see them out of the Top 8 for the first time all season in the final round, barring some extraordinary event such as very close matches with similar scoring patterns that enable Carlton to scrape in over the Dogs on percentage.

Obviously the Blues haven't missed the finals yet, but if things don't go their way on the weekend and they do miss out, when was the last time a side that was in the finals all year fell out for the first time in the final round? And at the other end of the scale, when was the last time a side out of the finals all year made it in for the first time in the last round?

For the latter, the closest I've seen a team straddling the line was Port Adelaide in 2005.

2013, Essendon but, apart from the Dons, I haven't a clue.

What's the biggest crowd ever for a 'dead rubber'? (specifically meaning when both teams no longer have a mathematical chance of making finals)
With a showdown and Robbie Grays retirement this weekend it would be nice to have a big crowd there, but what's been the biggest in history?

For the latter, the closest I've seen a team straddling the line was Port Adelaide in 2005.

2013, Essendon but, apart from the Dons, I haven't a clue.
Looking at AFL tables, it seems Collingwood achieved this unwanted record in 1947. Interestingly though, my copy of Every Game Ever Played from 1993, says Collingwood was in the four every round but Round 7. However, going by AFL Tables, at the end of Round 7, they were 4th with 16 pts and 120.2%, whereas Fitzroy was in 5th with 16 pts and 120.1%. This may require further investigation.

Looking at AFL tables, it seems Collingwood achieved this unwanted record in 1947. Interestingly though, my copy of Every Game Ever Played from 1993, says Collingwood was in the four every round but Round 7. However, going by AFL Tables, at the end of Round 7, they were 4th with 16 pts and 120.2%, whereas Fitzroy was in 5th with 16 pts and 120.1%. This may require further investigation.
Screenshot (7).png

Carlton was also in the five all season, but dropped out after the final round of 1977. Opposed to this, Fitzroy (last after nine rounds) only entered the five for the first time for the year after the final round of 1984.

Carlton was also in the five all season, but dropped out after the final round of 1977. Opposed to this, Fitzroy (last after nine rounds) only entered the five for the first time for the year after the final round of 1984.

Talk about coincidence. In 1977 it was the Bulldogs who knocked Carlton out of the finals in the last round by winning in an upset and allowing South Melbourne to take the Blues' spot. This year it was Collingwood who came from behind in the last quarter to win by a point and eliminate Carlton, allowing the Bulldogs to take the last finals spot by less than 1 percent.

Talk about coincidence. In 1977 it was the Bulldogs who knocked Carlton out of the finals in the last round by winning in an upset and allowing South Melbourne to take the Blues' spot. This year it was Collingwood who came from behind in the last quarter to win by a point and eliminate Carlton, allowing the Bulldogs to take the last finals spot by less than 1 percent.
South Melbourne also came from four goals behind at 3/4 time to defeat the team who would go on the win the premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys, hoping this is the spot for this question. Is there a website anywhere that tracks time of possession? For example, on the AFL site I can see that Player X had 4 touches in the first, 6 in the second and so on. Is there anywhere that lists what time of the game these possessions happened?

I've seen something like my crude mock up below before, but I can't even find that now. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Its been pointed out to me that they use this type of graphic on the broadcast which I am confident is where I have seen it so that explains why I can't find this particular graphic on a website anywhere.
1661401350642.png

How many other occasions have two sides met having won a combined 25 of the previous 26 matches (to be completely honest I’d settle for 18 of 20 as a low water mark?)

Round 14, 2009 would be a famous example where both sides entered 26/26 but any other examples?

Collingwood have the lowest percentage in the final 8 by some margin.

What's the lowest recorded percentage for a side in the finals over VFL/AFL history?
Also the lowest for a minor premier?
Not sure but off top of my head Brisbane Bears in 1995 made the final 8 with below what would normally be needed to make the top 8.
Then they were the only side all finals series to push Carlton at all.

Would also be worth checking up what Fitzroy wins and percentage were in 1981. They come from the clouds to make the final five so suspect their percentage was not high.

Not sure but off top of my head Brisbane Bears in 1995 made the final 8 with below what would normally be needed to make the top 8.

So turns out in 1995 two teams with under 100% in the final 8.
Brisbane with only 10 wins would be lowest amount needed to make final 8 but oddly the team above them with a lower %. Two teams in top 8 under 100%. So Pies percentage of this season is not near record of lowest percentage in the final 8 in history.

1996ladder.png

I dont have the time right now, so Ill ask hoping someone has it. But if not, dont fret, Ill find the stats sometime in the next week

AFLw

I wonder what each clubs winning % is vs expansion periods

Ie. A teams record vs 2017 clubs, 2019 clubs, 2020 clubs and 2022 clubs.

I have in the past figured out every teams winning %. (To the point I was pulling people up on calls of Adelaide being a dynasty that needed to be torn apart earlier this year. Afterall, if Melbourne won the GF they'd have had a higher win% than Adelaide!!) But I never broke it down vs expansion era.

Like, There was a clear gap between the top 9 (original 8 + North Melbourne) and the rest. Just want a more detailed breakdown tbh.

How many other occasions have two sides met having won a combined 25 of the previous 26 matches (to be completely honest I’d settle for 18 of 20 as a low water mark?)

Round 14, 2009 would be a famous example where both sides entered 26/26 but any other examples?
Essendon and Carlton met in Round 20 in 2000.

At that stage, Essendon had won 19 straight games, including a 24 point win over Carlton in Round 5.

After that round 5 defeat, Carlton won 13 straight games before losing to Western Bulldogs by 3 points in Round 19.

So going into the Round 20 game, Essendon had won its 14 previous games, while Carlton had won 13 out of 14 - a combined result of 27 wins from 28 matches.

Just reading a fox footy article, and i'm thinking this question has been posed before but haven't been able to find it.

Geelong's last 5 wins have been by 12, 28, 45, 60 and 85 points. So increasing the margin each time. Has a side won more than 5 in a row doing that?

I am seriously expecting this streak to end at five by the way as there's no way in hell Geelong will beat the Pies by more than 85 in a Final! :p

Would also be worth checking up what Fitzroy wins and percentage were in 1981. They come from the clouds to make the final five so suspect their percentage was not high.

FF78, Fitzroy had a 14-8 record (112.1%) - a game and percentage clear of both Hawthorn and Richmond - when they finished 5th after the 1981 home-and-away season.
I suppose they did "come from the clouds" as they won 9 of their last 11 games.
The Lions finished higher (4th) with a lower win-loss record (13-9) and lower percentage (100.2%) in 1986.
in 1984, the Roys won their last 6 games to finish 5th with an 11-11 record and 102.6%.
This included being 12th and last after 9 rounds (1-8, 84.4%).
In relative terms, Fitzroy's 1981 record would stand up pretty well against many teams who've just scraped into the finals (albeit, the introduction of the final 8 enabled teams to qualify with records like the 1995 Bears).

FF78, Fitzroy had a 14-8 record (112.1%) - a game and percentage clear of both Hawthorn and Richmond - when they finished 5th after the 1981 home-and-away season.
I suppose they did "come from the clouds" as they won 9 of their last 11 games.
The Lions finished higher (4th) with a lower win-loss record (13-9) and lower percentage (100.2%) in 1986.
in 1984, the Roys won their last 6 games to finish 5th with an 11-11 record and 102.6%.
This included being 12th and last after 9 rounds (1-8, 84.4%).
In relative terms, Fitzroy's 1981 record would stand up pretty well against many teams who've just scraped into the finals (albeit, the introduction of the final 8 enabled teams to qualify with records like the 1995 Bears).
Yeah, I looked it up moments after my comment and realised I was thinking of 1984 even though I typed 1981.
Either way, did not matter as their percentage was nothing unusual either year in relation to what original poster was wondering about.

Either way, I loved the Lions teams in those times. Very entertaining group of players they had back then.
I wish they had won the premiership in 1983 when my team bowed out. They really should have.

Yeah, I looked it up moments after my comment and realised I was thinking of 1984 even though I typed 1981.
Either way, did not matter as their percentage was nothing unusual either year in relation to what original poster was wondering about.

Either way, I loved the Lions teams in those times. Very entertaining group of players they had back then.
I wish they had won the premiership in 1983 when my team bowed out. They really should have.

Can't help but think had the deliberate OOB not been paid (a relatively rare free in those days) where Tuck kicked the goal that put the Hawks ahead in that year's QF, the Lions would have certainly made the Granny, as North in the '83 Finals were a spent force. Who knows, an '83 Flag may well have allowed the Lions to remain alive in their own right, a modern day Flag (well modern in the eyes of this 54 y/o)....They were a strong side from '79-86 and made the finals 5 times in this era.

Would someone be able to tell me what is the longest gap between players being teammates in a VFL/AFL team?
Well, a "research still in progress" report...

Ernest Cazaly had a gap from 30 April 1910 to 21 June 1919 being teammate with St Kilda players
Gordon Dangerfield, Wels Eicke and Bill Woodcock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back